Grandma has earned over $3,000 in one month writing for Textbroker. She shares her secrets to success in her book, Grandma's Little Black Book. If you want to learn the Textbroker ropes, this is the book for you.).

NJFM Income/Article Tracking Spreadsheet

SpreadsheetYou all know that I’m a numbers junkie and I track a host of stats when it comes to my online writing.

My stats are helping me to determine what and where to write in 2011 (I’ll get into more detail about that in a later post).  In the meanwhile, I’d like to share a scaled-down version of my income/article tracking spreadsheet.   This one is a bit different than the one I shared some time ago.  It’s got the same basics but I’ve added an Article Count page.

I’ve modified this spreadsheet to suit my needs.  I add and remove formulas and highlight some items with color on an as-needed basis. I want you guys to modify it as you wish.  If the spreadsheet works for you as is, then great.  If it doesn’t, please make changes as you see fit. Just be mindful not to insert numbers in cells with formulas.  It will prohibit the spreadsheet from properly calculating your numbers.

Before asking any questions, please play around with it for a bit to get the feel for what it can do and how it can work for you.

Enjoy!

P.S. I don’t usually write two posts in one day, but I needed you guys to have this spreadsheet so you’ll better understand some of my upcoming  posts. ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Bookmark and Share

Filed Under: Earning MoneyResidual IncomeToolsWriting

About the Author: Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she's not writing or commenting on NJFM, she's either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites which include Tidbits and Stuff, BLULOW, A Dose of Health and a few other sites/blogs scattered around the internet.

RSSComments (28)

Leave a Reply | Trackback URL

1. Daniel says:

Thank you Felicia. This is very simple and complete. I liked you worksheet. I did something similar but using some kind of more complex software I developed. Some how I do not trust Excel anymore I have lost data because some bugs the program has.
    Daniel recently posted..Socks with sandals – The new fashion on footwear

2. Ken says:

Really digging on the spreadsheet Felicia. Recommending it to everybody. Thank you for creating it and making it available.

3. Grandma says:

No kidding, one of my 2011 goal is to stop wasting time on the Internet…all those non-paying but fun stops in Internetland.

4. Chris Price says:

Thank you so much for this. I’m realllllly bad with spreadsheets. I’ve been trying literally for months to wrap my head around how to make a spreadsheet that has all the options I’m looking for. Just by playing around with this amazingly detailed one you’ve made, I have a better idea how to make the very few changes I’m looking to make. (The biggest one is that I want to factor in the time it takes me to complete assignments so I can calculate and chart my pay per work-hour). You have made my goal of getting a working spreadsheet up by year’s end infinitely more likely now.

Glad this helps. Chris, you’ll find that as you become more used to writing, the time it takes to write an article will diminish. Don’t get discouraged if you seem to take a lot of time initially. It all balances out in the end.

• Chris Price says:

Oh, I know. I’ve been writing online for a living for about a year. I’m just too ADD and perfectionist (what a killer combination) to write at optimum speed. It would really help my progress if I could keep track of how much time I’m wasting and how much money that’s costing me.

I hear ya, Chris. Wasting time is so easy with online writing. If I spent my time writing and not wandering around the internet, I probably would only need to write for about an hour or two a day. Unfortunately, my hand doesn’t know how not to click on unrelated websites when I’m supposed to be writing. :)

That’s why voice recognition software is such a time saver. Not only because I talk faster than I write, but if I’m away from the computer when I write, there’s no temptation to click on an unrelated site and waste my writing time.

5. Peter says:

Thx. Very Helpful.
    Question on Article Length. I see many writers doing short, very focused articles ie 200-300 words, I assume under the assumption the more articles the more PVs.
    Conversely, longer articles should allow you to get more keywords in the content and therefore more PVs.
    What do you think and does this vary by Site ie Suite vs. AC?

Peter, some sites require at least 400 words and other sites don’t. I’m not usually verbose so by nature I tend to write shorter articles. Don’t get me wrong, there are those occasions where I write long articles, but I prefer short and to the point.

All I can say is experiment a bit.

6. Deanna says:

WOW – This is years ahead from my simple spreadsheets – and I went to school for accounting! Love it! Thanks for sharing. :)
    Deanna recently posted..Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to All

7. I really should do better job tracking my income each month… I usually jot everything down in a file but no spreadsheets for me at this point. ;)
    Maria (WriterGig) recently posted..Crazy High eHow Earnings

8. Sher says:

Thanks for the new spreadsheet! I used the older one and loved it. This one looks great, too…it will definitely be a great help for 2011!
    Sher recently posted..Veselé Vánoce!

Thanks, Felicia – this is just what I need! I was intending to make one but yours is so much better than what I would have come up with. Of course, mine will be mostly blank but that’s ok – I have room for growth:) Best wishes to all of us in the New Year!
    Crystal recently posted..Merry Christmas!

10. kidgas says:

This spreadsheet is similar to my own in that it contains essentially the same information. I have placed my backlinking information in a completely separate spreadsheet since I don’t like working with the tabs below and want to see everything on one page at a glance. It sounds like we are very similar when it comes to numbers and data.
    kidgas recently posted..A Look Back at 2010

11. Christina Crowe says:

Wow, I didn’t even know you could make the spread sheet calculate numbers automatically! That’s amazing.

I’m going to have to look into that for the other spreadsheets I use. Before, it would take me hours to go through everything and make calculations!

You’re amazing.

Christina
    Christina Crowe recently posted..Have a Very Happy Christmas!

12. Prerna says:

Completely rocks my world! Thank you!!I’d been using your earlier version and was considering modifying it a bit. But u read my mind. Love ya!
    Prerna recently posted..10 Fantastic Blogs to Make You a Happier Person and a Better Writer in 2011

Hope it works well for you. And, BTW, thanks for the shout out on your blog. I’m headed back over there right now.

Prerna, you might want to download the spreadsheet again. I just modified it so that when you enter the column headings in January, they’ll populate the column headings throughout the rest of the months (no sense in re-typing if it’s not necessary).