Okay I Finally Get It

| December 20, 2010

Residuals here I comeSometimes I’m a little slow on the uptake but I think the numbers have finally hit me over the head. Demand Studios has always been my security blanket. I’m sure you understand how that feels. When ever I needed a few quick bucks I’d bang out a few $15 Demand Studio articles, get my money and be on my merry way.

Now that it’s the end of the year, my mood is even more reflective than usual. In the true spirit of reflecting on the past year I took my 2010 year-to-date earnings to see if I need to make strategic changes for next year.

At this point, I’ll let you look at the numbers to see if you come to the same conclusion:

Earnings as of December 19, 2010:

Demand Studios Residual Total
2010 # Articles Written 257 483 740
2010 Earnings $3,855 $22,087.37 $25,942.37
Avg Earnings/Article $15.00 $45.72 $35.06

I spent 35% of my time writing for Demand Studios which yielded 15% of my income.

I’ll end this post by admitting that I allowed fear to stop me from reaching my full residual potential. The numbers are yelling at me to let go of the safety net and spend 100% of my writing time on residuals. I think I’ll finally listen to them.

BTW, if I can do it you can too. I’ve found that the “secret” to earning money online is consistency and patience. If you keep plugging away at it, eventually things start to come together.

Tags: , ,

Category: Earning Money, Residual Income

1. Edward G Gordon says:

I know that this is a stupid question, but how do you get the thumbnail pictures to attach themselves to comment posts?

I know I could google this but just thought I would ask.

Cheers
    Edward G Gordon recently posted…Writing Articles That Inspire- Uplift And Inform Is The Secret To Article Marketing SuccessMy Profile

2. Edward G Gordon says:

Sorry I have not been by lately but I have been caring for my father for the last couple of months. I have not had much time to go online.

Anyway I’m back as you can see and I have to say that the new site layout and design looks fantastic. It really does look the biz. I see that I have some catching up to do.

As regards the article above, once again your honesty is an inspiration to rest of us grinding it out on the fringes.

Although I never used the safety net, I made a decision from the start to concentrate on passive income both from my own site and also from sites like Suite101 (which by the way you introduced me to – thankfully)

I calculate that I am about three years behind you in terms of revenue – lol.

Anyway thanks for the encouragement.

Wishing you the best in 2011.

Regards

Ed

3. Christine says:

Wow, thank you for sharing your findings, Felicia! I’ve been lurking on your site for a couple weeks and I feel like I’ve found a goldmine of information. You’re banking karma points, girl. Question for you — does your 2010 residual earnings figure include payouts from articles written in 2009 and earlier?

I sort of fell into online writing just a couple months ago and have been writing upfront articles for DemandStudios. I’d like to set up a system for residual income and am trying to be smart about it. Would you recommend going with DS/eHow residual to test topics? I’m on the fence about venturing to other sites — that could just be spreading myself thin….

Hi Christine,

My figures include payouts for all of my writing. In other words, the residuals earned this year from Suite 101, for example were paid in 2010, but based on my entire portfolio. Unfortunately I can’t tell you which Suite articles earned what. Well, maybe that’s a good thing. With my propensity to keep track of stats, that’s a whole other level of stats that I’d feel compelled to track. 🙂

And yes, I’d test the market with DS residual articles. You could also use the Google Keyword Selector tool (personally, I don’t use it).

As far as spreading yourself too thin, start out with one or two sites, build your portfolio and then venture out. You know about the “eggs in one basket” thing, so you don’t want to be left in the cold if one of the sites goes down or makes major payment changes.

4. Rachel @ Pen Meets Wallet says:

I just compiled my own report and am so encouraged!

Apparently, my passive income article earnings increased 300% in the past year!
    Rachel @ Pen Meets Wallet recently posted…Pen Meets Wallet Has Moved!My Profile

5. Josephine says:

This numbers look real good.

Were all of the 483 articles published this year? Same question with regards to the revenue numbers as well.

Even if some of the articles were written before 2010, it still shows that it is better in the long run to take residuals instead.

6. Rachel @ Pen Meets Wallet says:

Wow- how inspiring! I have been thinking about switching over to residuals and leaving DS behind for a while now. Now I’m going to run my own numbers!

7. Christina Crowe says:

Wow – insightful! And congratulations for your decision! I’ve also decided to focus 100% of my efforts on residual income. The earning potential is just too large to ignore.

Thanks for sharing your income numbers with us! Definitely motivating. 🙂

Christina
    Christina Crowe recently posted…I’m Joining the Demand Studios Holiday Club – Are YouMy Profile

Got your email newsletter today and am giving this subject even more thought. In the newsletter you said “… 25% of my articles are responsible for 91% of my residual income.”

Wow, Felicia – what great info to help you focus your efforts effectively. Coupled with the knowledge of which sites these income-generators are on, I’m a total convert now on meticulously tracking article placement and performance. It may seem cumbersome at first but sure gives a valuable look at the big picture down the road.

Merry Christmas to you and yours and wishing you a happy, healthy, prosperous New Year!
    Crystal recently posted…Wear Out or Rust Out – Which Do You ChooseMy Profile

9. Sher says:

Your blog has been a great help to me as I’ve read it over the last year or so. I’ve been experimenting with writing in different places to see if even I could earn some residual money! I have to say it works. My experiments have been small, but they have earned a little bit. That little bit has encouraged me to start writing more seriously, with the goal of building an article base to earn more residual income.

Thanks for your help and advice to guide the rest of us! And one more thanks–last year you had offered a spreadsheet to help keep track of earnings. I’ve been using that spreadsheet this year, and it has been an immense help.

Have a wonderful Christmas and a very Happy New Year,
    Sher
    Sher recently posted…Happy Thanksgiving 2010My Profile

10. Great post. It is funny how hard it can be to make the full jump, even when you have all the data staring you in the face saying it’s the right move. Glad to see the numbers really taking off for you and hope that trend continues into the future!
    Master Dayton recently posted…Freelance Passive Writing Income- And a Vacation UpdateMy Profile

11. Grandma says:

It really was hot here yesterday…burning hot sun, almost a record…73 degrees is the old one.

12. Grandma says:

Oh the snow was in my nightmare…oh, you are being funny.

I just finished one article. LOL I had 98 ratings in my email this morning from articles I did in the last week! Love those direct orders…

13. Grandma says:

Like the long journey, Ira, begins with one step.

Good advice here again Felicia, thanks. This is the perfect time of year to set up charts and spreadsheets for tracking 2011 income. What else to do over any slow time off.

I finally got some sleep enough to recover from the delayed reaction to my 16.5 hour long drive here. Yesterday I thought I would pass out, I was so exhausted. A short nap did wonders.

My brain must be ready for something. This morning I awoke from a very realistic dream about my car being stolen. The one thing that didn’t make sense was the snow in the dream – it was 71 degrees here in OKC yesterday.

14. Felicia —

I’ve enjoyed getting to know your blog over the last couple of weeks. You write interesting and informative posts.

I used to be a journalist, then I took an eight-year detour through the world of online used bookselling. Now, I’m back writing again.

I never kept more than the required amount of stats on my bookselling business, but I should be keeping better stats on my writing so I can decide which way I should go. Your results are quite thought-provoking.

Gip
    Gip @ So Much More Life recently posted…So Much More Life Is Getting Better AlreadyMy Profile

Welcome to NJFM, Gip.

I’ve found over the years that some stats are worth keeping and others weren’t so important. I’ve found that tracking the money (that’s a no brainer) and where I place my articles have proven to be useful. When I first started, I tracked income and page views. I later found that page views didn’t mean very much to me, it’s the effort and the results that were most important in helping to decide where to go.

15. Ira says:

Hi Felicia, as allison said above, I love seeing your analytical posts, and for the same reason as her.. it’s inspirational material in a nutshell lol

I’d add that in order to GET any of this, you have to take the first step. And, to just know that if you can make ONE dollar in residual income online, you can make 100000 of them. All it takes is doing the same thing you did to get that 1, and do it better.

Simple thought, but complex in action lol 😀
    Ira recently posted…Things- They Are A’Changin’!My Profile

Hey Felicia – Congratulations! The numbers don’t lie and I’m pleased for you that your residual earnings are so impressive. It’s also inspirational and motivational for me and the rest of your readers. I stepped away from DS for the months of Nov and Dec – more to concentrate on things not related to writing but also to break my addiction to searching for titles and receiving regular pay. I’ve got plans for 2011 and I’m thinking very little of my time spent writing will involve upfront pay:)
    Crystal recently posted…Back Up Your Data to Avoid DisasterMy Profile

17. Steve says:

I don’t know if I am being too nosy, if so feel free to ignore the question, but how many blogs/site do you draw residuals from? I used Ehow and have a couple blogs, but they don’t amount to much. My revenue comes from DMS and contract work. I’d love to have more coming from residuals but wonder how much work it really entails.
    Steve recently posted…Book of The Week- Guerrilla Marketing for Job HuntersMy Profile

Hi Steve, and welcome to NJFM.

I gather you’re new here. I think this post might answer your question.

I’m not going to kid you; it’s a lot of work at first. You’ve got to spend time building up a foundation of articles, learning SEO and finding out which topics pay better than others. Once you sort of figure it out, then you have to write and then write some more.

Spend some time browsing a few posts as I go over this quite a bit here.

18. Allison says:

WOW! Those numbers certainly do not lie. I love your analytical posts – mostly because they make me think about my own numbers, as well as my similar struggle with balancing residual work with upfront pay. I’m impressed.
    Allison recently posted…Youth Group Christmas Party IdeasMy Profile

Allison, I know how you feel. It has always been a constant struggle for me even after the numbers started telling me what to do. There’s something about getting money twice a week that’s nice, but now I’m realizing that the convenient pay check is costing me in the long run.

19. Will says:

You may have convinced me to close the door on looking for work at Demand Studios. I simply cannot find topics to write about… I’m not mechanically inclined, I’m not into gardening, etc. And seeing that 35% of your effort resulted in 15% of your income tells me I should resist the “fast money carrot” and focus on residuals. However, Constant Content is currently tempting me…

Will, before kicking DS to the curb, you might want to try creating a few of your own assignments.

I wrote a few some time ago, and I like the way the earnings are picking up. I think I’ll be writing a few more user generated titles.