Need a little writing motivation? Why not sign up for NJFM's Motivation for Writers Newsletter. You'll receive a dose of motivation delivered to your inbox every Monday.

My Traveling Office

The weather is cold and I’d much prefer walking in a warm balmy climate, but I find that walking for a couple of miles does much to clear my mind and help my writing flow (no matter how cold it is). The only problem with going for a walk is that my best ideas seem to hit midway during the walk, and I don’t usually remember them by the time I get home (with my advancing years I find the memory is truly doing its own thing).

Speaking Out of the Box/OfficeCubicle

Rather than rushing home from my walk, I decided to bring my tools with me. No, I’m not walking around the lake with a computer; I’ve decided to make my digital voice recorder and headset as part of my daily walk. This way, when ideas hit, all I have to do is speak them. As a matter of fact, I dictated this post during my morning walk. I was able to kill three birds with one stone; clear my brain, dictate my post and get a bit of exercise. As far as I’m concerned, online writing doesn’t get any better than that.

Come Along on my Walk

From here on out this post is a mish mosh of self-talk. As I was walking and avoiding ice patches I got to thinking about how great it is to earn money online with little to no upfront expense. Think about it for a minute. It is possible to earn lots of money without spending a dime (you’ve got to spend time, but no money).

With so many businesses requiring an initial up-front financial and time investment, online writing is a steal. As an online writer all you need is an idea and access to the Internet. If you don’t have a computer, but are fortunate enough to live in an area where the library system is equipped with public computers and internet access, you have everything you need to get started.

After you’ve earned a few bucks, you can then purchase a computer, fund your Internet connection and who knows, even by an online product or two. If it weren’t for the money I earned by writing on line, I would not have purchased my digital voice recorder or my voice recognition software (or the oven I purchased last year ). There does come a time when reinvesting in your writing career makes sense.

End of My WalkWinter Walk

As I come to the end of my walk, I’ll also come to the end of this post. I managed to make it safely home without slipping on ice. I also managed to dictate two articles that will be posted somewhere in cyberspace.

This morning’s walk taught me that I have to mold and shape my writing career to suit my desires and lifestyle. In other words, I get to set the rules. Personally, I want to spend less time on the computer and more time outdoors. Fortunately, today’s technology makes it easier to work anywhere.

With the New Year right around the corner, take some time (and a walk) to figure out where you want to take your career.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Bookmark and Share

Filed Under: FreelanceWorking from Home

About the Author: Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she's not writing or commenting on NJFM, she's either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites which include Tidbits and Stuff, BLULOW, A Dose of Health and a few other sites/blogs scattered around the internet.

RSSComments (19)

Leave a Reply | Trackback URL

1. Grace says:

I have voice memo capability on my iPhone that I have had for *months*. I am now inspired to actually USE this nifty bit of software. Ideas come to me often when I have nothing to write with and the ideas come too quickly to try to enter them in the Notes on my phone…never been very fast at ‘texting’. But being able to record the ideas as they tumble out of my head – priceless. Thanks for the reminder.

You’re absolutely right, Grandma. We have it so easy now that many don’t realize the importance of our Constitution and Bill of Rights and what a privilege it is to live in this country. Are there flaws? Yes. Who can correct them? We the People.
    Crystal recently posted..Back Up Your Data to Avoid Disaster

3. Grandma says:

How I wish I had had a digital recorder with me on my trip from Michigan to Oklahoma. So many thoughts I had that I won’t remember now! I even called my daughter and told her to write down one idea, which she then texted back to me!

I also thought about this, as I have many other times when traveling:

Driving across this great country is an amazing experience. I am always in awe of the size and beauty of America. We are so lucky to live here and have our freedom. We are free to live and travel anywhere, except for a few military properties. There are no state border guards, no police to fear, and usually there is law and order to keep and protect our civilized way of life. The roads are amazing, as is the work our ancestors did in settling and populating this country. I always have the deepest respect for the pioneers who crossed unknown lands, with no roads, no radio, no GPS, no highways, no bridges, no rest areas, no bathrooms, no fast food, no newscasts, no “911”, and more nothings. All they had were their families and friends, horses (maybe), a wagon, some “stuff” like clothing and blankets, and their gun and ammo. Then, they had to face unknown territory, no maps, hostile environments and attacks by native people who were only trying to protect their own areas and families. Today, there is relative peace in the land, comfortable living, and our basic freedoms. Freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, freedom to worship, freedom from want, and all our freedoms that others before us fought and died to give us. The least we can do is be educated about our country, know, understand and love our U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights that give us this wonderful life. Learn and elect persons who will uphold and protect and enforce those basic Constitutional freedoms. These rights and our freedoms can be taken away in a heartbeat through neglect, ignorance and laziness. God Bless America! God Blessed Americans!

Love this post, Felicia! I also get great ideas while walking and take my digital recorder along – but not always. So I need to get better at that. I also want to spend more time hoofing it while I compose rather than sitting on my duff. I’ve gained a few and it’s time to reverse that trend so walking and talking will be my ticket to higher productivity and better fitness. How can you beat that?

5. Mandy says:

“This morning’s walk taught me that I have to mold and shape my writing career to suit my desires and lifestyle. In other words, I get to set the rules.”

Maybe it’s the end of year reflections, but this post hit home for me as well. As I have fallen far below my goals and my potential this past year, I’ve been doing quite a bit of soul-searching to find the answers.

What I’ve noticed over the past year is that writing – whether through the self-empowering act or through the frustration of thwarted efforts – has given me a kind of clarity about my life.

Whereas once I was told by several bosses that I have “moxy” and I’m “fiery,” I’ve allowed myself to slip into a sort of passive mode of living. Whereas once my college English professor encouraged me to change my major and become a writer, I have difficulty overcoming the anxiety aroused by a Textbroker direct order.

In 2010, my writing may not have earned me much money, but it has given me something much more valuable. With crystal-like clarity, it has shown me that I have given up on the helm and have allowed the winds and waves to take my life where they may.

Likewise, it has shown me that a successful life is more than a monthly earnings goal. For 2011, I’ve created goals that go beyond writing. I’ve realized that confidence, self-respect, and self-esteem are indispensable in any endeavor. So, I intend to reclaim a life that values me as a person.

I wish all the readers of the NJFM blog a successful and happy new year. Thanks Felicia for resounding posts and a valuable information portal into the world of online writing. Merry Christmas, all!

Great insight, Mandy.

I’ve found that writing, or should I say the patience it takes to earn money using the residual model has taught me a lot about myself too. And, like you, it’s spilling over into other areas of my life.

It sounds like we’re on similar paths. Next year is going to be a good year.

6. Grandma says:

Ira, wonderful news…you definitely have angels all around you! Merry Christmas and I know your New Year will be amazing!

There is a ton you could do with the entire “blind marketer” concept, including new products. I just did some articles about venture funding for startup/seed companies. Funds up to $10M are available all over the place…you need a good business plan and something that will have good future demand. Well, good luck with all and have a happy everything. I speak not only for myself, I am sure, but we are happy to have met you here!

• Ira says:

Thank you very much guys! I appreciate the good wishes, I am gonna need em ;) lol

I’ve got theblindmarketer.com set up and going, although there is only one post on it at the moment. I also have set up a second to get another potential income stream going… I figured, hey I have the unlimited domain space available, I may as well use it lol :D

So far so good! Doesn’t look all fancy like Felicia’s got set up here, but that will come with time :)

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!

Merry Christmas to all of you!
      Ira recently posted..Things- They Are A’Changin’!

7. Ira says:

I just have to share this with you guys…

I could not have read this post at a more perfect time. I have made a decision about my online career that is going to absolutely change my life 500% for the better…

What is amazing to me about the decision is what has happened to me AFTER I made that decision. Part of it has to do with my blindness…

On a lark, I decided to write a post to someone about my diability and I called myself “The Blind Marketer”.

Well, that lark has turned into a major change for me… A random stranger PURCHASED the domain name http://www.theblindmarketer.com FOR me as a christmas present, so that i could start blogging about my successes and to help others see that being blind is NOT a disability but an asset. Other things as well, but, you get the idea.

So I thought to myself.. that’s awesome, and I know a LOT of other blogs that I could make income from EASILY (with work of course rofl) but there’s no way I can afford the hosting service right now… right?

Guess what… Right after that, I thought to myself.. I don’t care… one way or another I am going to do this and it’s going to change my life forever.

NOT 5 MINUTES LATER.. I get a message from someone. They are buying me 2 YEARS worth of unlimited domain name hosting as a Christmas present.

I was so overwhelmed by all of this I started crying in joy.. .It just totally confirmed that I made the right decision.

So.. yeah… Then I read this post of yours, about how we need to take control and make lots of money without spending much but time, etc.

The synchronicity of it all just confirms things even further.

Bet you didn’t expect to assist in changing someone’s life when you were taking that walk, were you? ;)

Just had to come and tell you guys about all this.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
    Ira recently posted..Conversion Prophet 2 – Is it a Scam or the Real Deal

Ira, that is AWESOME! I had to read your comment to my hubby. It gave me goosebumps.

I’m speechless (which doesn’t happen often with me), and extremely happy for you! I wish you much success and will be following your progress. Please, keep the good news coming!

• Tashana says:

Reading good news is the best Christmas present, even for a stranger like me.

Congrats Ira, you are definitely blessed and I look forward to following your blog.

At a time when the holidays tend to make me a little Scroogish, I smile at your accomplishments. Thanks for sharing. Your gifts remind me that mine are just around the corner.

Congrats!

8. Kidgas says:

I like the idea of the digital recorder, but I am really intrigued by the voice recognition software. I knew that you used it but am wondering what I could get done if I didn’t have to type. Even though I can type reasonably well (probably 60 wpm or so), I bet I could do more with the software.

Maybe someday I will finally look into it.
    Kidgas recently posted..Earning Two Dollars Per Day

I find the software to be extremely helpful on days when I just don’t want to sit in front of the computer. Sometimes I dictate several articles and allow the software to transcribe it while I’m doing something else. When I’m ready to sit in front of the computer, I edit it and upload the articles.

My goal for next year is to use the software to its fullest. I use it for dictation, but you can also control your computer via voice commands. It will make it easier for me to get things done when I can’t find my glasses. I won’t have to squint to figure out whether I’m clicking the “OK” or the “Cancel” button. :)

9. Deanna says:

That is such a good idea. I always get my best ideas when I’m out walking too – or when I’m doing things like laundry or cleaning. I have a small recorder I used to use for interviews years ago – this would be the perfect use for it. Thanks for the idea. :)
    Deanna recently posted..Playing Around with HubPages

10. Grandma says:

What kind of digital recorder do you have? Or recommend? I had one once, but Lord only knows if I still have it. If it is in the storage shed, it could be years before I rediscover it. I should buy myself one for Christmas.

I have an old Sony Model: ICD-P520. I bought it about two years ago. I highly recommend digital voice recorders for writers. It’s the best way to “remember” great ideas. :)

11. Ken says:

Felicia that is a fantastic idea. I sometimes think about taking the voice recorder with me, but then it gets left at the house along with the camera we thought about bringing to the park. Perhaps we should purchase extras and have them in the car when we ride up to the parks and such. I cannot tell you how often I think of good stuff to write only to forget by he time we get home. Thank you so much for the reminder and the inspiration.