Why I Started Using Chitika Again

| December 8, 2010

Some time ago I used Chitika as a way to monetize my sites. The setup was easy. All I had to do was sign in, configure the ad size and color to match my site and place the code on my blog/website. I thought of Chitika sort of like how I thought of Google AdSense. Set it and forget it. Over time the revenue will add up.

All Ads/Sites Not Created EqualChitika

Because of lack of knowledge, I used a one-size-fits-all approach to ads and websites. If I used Google AdSense, Infolinks and Chitika on one blog, I used them on all blogs. When ever I set up a new blog, I’d go down my checklist to make sure I didn’t forget anything.

Over time, I realized that some ad campaigns did better on some blogs than others. This isn’t a secret or a revelation; it’s just that in the beginning I thought everything was created equally. So, when my Chitika ad revenue diminished (because they made a few changes to their program), I got annoyed and removed them from all of my sites.

That was real silly.  It’s better to get 25% of something than 100% of nothing!

Re-Evaluating my Ad Structures

Sometimes I’m not too quick on the uptake. As I looked at my various ad revenue sources, I realized that my existing ad campaign portfolio didn’t work. So, I removed AdSense and Infolinks form NJFM. The amount of money I earned from AdSense and Infolinks here at NJFM was hardly worth the effort of installing the ad code.

When I removed AdSense from NJFM, it seemed that my Google AdSense earnings improved. It could be coincidental or there may be a reason for it. I’m not sure and I’m not about to try to figure it out. I’m just going to enjoy the earnings increase.

Adding Chitika

As far as Chitika goes, it took me a while to realize that Chitika does much better on certain niche blogs/articles. If your blog falls into the gadget, electronics niche, you can do well with Chitika. If your blog is about health and nutrition, you would probably do better with Google AdSense (just an observation).

So, instead of punishing myself by removing Chitika across the board, I tried to better match the advertising campaign with the website subject matter. To that end, I’ve re-installed Chitika on one of my blogs the other day. So far, Chitika is performing better than my pitiful Bukisa earnings.

Chitika’s monthly payout is $10 if you Moneyelect PayPal as your method of payment and $50 if you opt for payment by check.

Three days after installing the Chitika code, I’ve earned 25% of the $10 required for monthly payout. In that same period of time, I earned $.90 with Bukisa.

Lesson Learned:

• Having a hissy fit and getting angry with Chitika did nothing but hurt my financial bottom line.
  • Blog advertising, just like freelance writing, is not an all or nothing situation. There is plenty of room for mixing and matching.

Side note to Elvenrunelord: I thought about you when I wrote this post. I think your new blog might be a nice fit for Chitika.

Another side note: Chitika has a referral program, and the links in this post are referral links.

Tags: , ,

Category: Chitika, Earning Money, Monetize

1. Edward G Gordon says:

Hi Felicia, it’s nice to know I’m not the only person who throws the occasional hissy fit – lol.

I don’t use Chikita myself. I have never given it much thought. But since I’ve been offline for the last two months – working on a project – I was very pleased to notice that Google adsense was about to send me another check. Sweet.

Stats for May and June – during which time, I did no work to any of my sites, I saw a 40% increase in revenue for May and 110% increase for the month of June. Crazy or what.

My point is that if I can see an income increase like that with little or no effort, and anyone can generate an income from resources like Adsense or Chikita; imagine what would happen if we all applied your ideas to our own sites.

I think I will have a look at Chikita and see if any of my sites are a good fit.

Cheers,
    Edward G Gordon recently posted…Is Smashwords Good For Self-Publishing?My Profile

2. Ken Muise says:

All awesome advice and feedback and it’s greatly appreciated. I actually had thought about creating a new page to attract clients but I wasn’t sure if the content on the page would be enough to pull in enough traffic.

I guess I could create a different site and link them back and forth to each other.

Again, I greatly appreciate this. I had asked questions on several sites and didn’t get anywhere near your level of reply. Awesome!

Ken
    Ken Muise recently posted…Freelance Writing Advice for Beginners- Content- Regularity and Accuracy!My Profile

3. Ken Muise says:

Hi,

I am a newbie and have been really enjoying this site. I am diversified in my sites and income methods so that’s good, right? My question is how long does it reasonably take to start puling in private clients from your own websites? Any input from anyone would be great! Also, tips and recommendations? I love them! LOL. Have a great night!

Ken, the time it takes to pull in private clients from your website all depends on how you market yourself and your website.

Personally, I do not seek private clients. I don’t market myself as a freelance writer looking for writing assignments. When they happen to come my way I respectfully decline and refer the assignment to anyone I know that would be a good fit for the position.

To me, private clients are advertisers wishing to advertise on my sites. I’ve had a few legitimate agencies purchase links on a few of my sites. I like those because all I have to do is place a link (provided the link is relevant and appropriate) and I get paid each month.

If you want to use your blog or website to solicit private clients, then that should be the blog’s main focus. I’d remove all advertisement and walk a mile in the shoes of the person seeking my services. In my opinion it should be professional and focused. Anything not related to your writing abilities, your services or accomplishments should be removed.

I would also write up a blurb or two as to why someone should use your services instead of any of the other freelance writers available on the internet. You have to make yourself stand out and add value that other writers don’t.

I took a quick look at your site and found it was entitled Muisings. It’s a clever title given your name is Ken Muise, but will it attract serious buyers or would a blog entitled “Ken Muise: Freelance Writer” attract more serious inquiries? I’m not judging here, just asking a few questions.

When I went to your Resume/Sample page, I didn’t find your name, I had to come back to your home page to find a small “About Me” blurb further down the page. When I come to your blog, the main focus seems to be advice for other writers instead of a freelance writer’s business home to solicit clients. In other words, the blog seems to be a catch all for your freelance writing stuff. If I’m looking to hire a freelance writer to write content for me, I don’t think I’ll spend time reading the Advice for Beginners post and visa versa.

I guess what I’m saying is if you really want to solicit business from potential clients, then you should probably set up a separate blog just for soliciting clients.

Ken, these are just a few of my observations/opinions. Hope it helps.

4. Jessi says:

Thanks so much for the input. I’ll certainly check it out and let you know how things go.

Cheers!

Jessi
    Jessi recently posted…My Late Bipolar ReactionMy Profile

5. Jessi says:

Let me first say that I love this site – it has helped me so much in finding new work and in keeping me going when I think I might pull my hair out. Heck, you taught me what residual income is!

But to the point – can you recommend any other residual income similar to AdSense? My account was terminated – I’m not exactly sure why. Anyway, I hear this isn’t unusual and I’m finding all sorts of information – too much, I think! It’s hard to tell the fact from the fiction.

Thanks so much! And please keep doing what you are doing! I have learned so much from you. 🙂

Sincerely,

Jessi

Jessi,
      So sorry to hear about your AdSense account being canceled. I’ve heard a few horror stories about that too. As far as an alternative, I’ve explored a few avenues without much luck.

I use InfoLinks and am happy with the results. I don’t earn as much with InfoLinks as I do with AdSense, but lately I’ve been fluctuating between $5 and $9 per day with InfoLinks. I’d say that’s a nice little piece of change to add to the pot so give them a try. Just like AdSense, the earnings depend on the niche.

I’ve tried Chitika, without much success. I also use Text Link Ads on one of my sites. What’s good about Text Link Ads is the money is just about guaranteed every month.

You might have to change your model just a bit and try more affiliate marketing. Selling a product or service that you believe in is another way to earn money online. Check out The Freelancer Today as Ken has been doing well with this method.

If anyone else has any advice to offer Jessi, I’d love to hear it too. I’m always looking for new and better ways to monetize my sites.

6. I think more than any other type of advertising or affiliate network I’ve run into, Chitika is very up or down depending on the niche, like you’ve commented on. I’ve had Chitika on a wide range of sites or blogs, and generally I’ve found they’ve done well on electronics and not much else for me so far. Thanks for sharing your experience, and I think it’s really great feedback for the rest of us to consider.
    Master Dayton recently posted…Freelance Passive Writing Income- And a Vacation UpdateMy Profile

7. Ira says:

hehe Felicia, you’re so great even the advertising companies stalk you! 🙂
    Ira recently posted…The Many Health Benefits Of ComfreyMy Profile

8. Tammy says:

So happy to hear Felicia. 🙂 If you ever need anything at all feel free to email

Tammy

9. Tammy says:

Hey, this is Tammy from Infolinks. You are a great writer, and I enjoyed reading your post. I have to say though, that I am sad that you left Infolinks. We guarantee the highest payouts in the industry. Our publishers find that the combination of both AdSense and Infolinks is the highest paying monetization option for their blogs. If you have any questions, we would love to hear from you at support@infolinks.com.

Have a great day 🙂

Tammy

Tammy, I haven’t left Infolinks. As a matter of fact, I wrote a few blog posts somewhere here on NJFM about how happy I am with them.

I have several blogs and I found that Infolinks and AdSense just didn’t do well here at NJFM. If you notice, I didn’t install Chitika here either. I believe it’s because of the subject matter and not the ad service.

The AdSense/Infolinks combination is proving to be lucrative on a few of my other blogs and I highly recommend the combo.

10. Christina Crowe says:

Great review.

I’ve noticed generally low earnings with Chitika myself when I used them in the past. However, I just recently created a few new blogs that I think will work well with Chitika.

We’ll see how it goes anyway. 🙂

Christina
    Christina Crowe recently posted…New Challenges- Loads of Fun- and a New BeginningMy Profile

11. Bristolboy says:

I keep meaning to sign up for Chitika – have done so through your link now! Hopefully I will see some benefit to using Chitika, I have heard good things about it up to now.
    Bristolboy recently posted…Monthly Update – November 2010My Profile