The Ups and Downs of Online Writing

| December 3, 2010

It’s a good thing that I’m in this for the long haul because if I were a different person I’d quit online writing after a month like November.

The Good

My Suite 101 numbers are slightly higher this month than last month. They went up by a whopping $27.15.  IUps and Downs would be excited with the small increase if it weren’t for the fact that I earned $87.68  more in November 2009 than I did in November 2010 (and I’ve written 62 more articles).

If you have read any of my recent posts about Suite 101 here at NJFM, you know that my numbers have been rapidly declining.  If it continues, I’ll soon have to pay Suite 101 for the honor of writing there.

The Bad

My eHow numbers tanked in November.  They dropped by $303. However, when I compare my November eHow numbers to last year this time, I really can’t complain, they’re $451.99 higher than they were last year.

The Ugly

Well, there’s really no ugly.  Everything else pretty much held steady for the month of November.  When I do an overall comparison from November 2009 to November 2010, I see that I earned $314 more this November than last, so I shouldn’t complain too much.

Also, it appears that my numbers tanked last November too.  Fortunately, there’s something I can do about Earning Moneymy situation. Now that I know my current writing portfolio tanks in November, I can write a few seasonal articles so I won’t face the same residual downturn.

By writing a few seasonal articles and following Ken’s internet marketing advice, I think next year will prove to be a lot different than this year.

You gotta love this online earning stuff.  You really do have much more control over your income than you think.

Tags: , , ,

Category: Motivation

1. Niki Hampton says:

Last year I was merely working for myself, so I am definitely better off, but the stress of being responsible for a team is wearing on me too. Definitely seeing lower numbers and I don’t have any residuals, but love the ability to take on more projects to compensate the shortfall. My hubby was laid off from the automotive industry in September, so I have to do everything I can. Long hours suck! lol

Niki, sorry to hear about your situation. Try to squeak out a residual article or two here or there. Let the residuals work for you while you work on new projects. The combination can prove to be lucrative, especially since you have so many writing projects.

2. My eHow rev was up by more than $30. My Suite rev has been tanking since August and is much lower than it was this time last year. I hope they work something out over there cause this is getting ridiculous.
    Alina Bradford recently posted…Lack of Freelance Work- What to Do When You Have Nothing to DoMy Profile

Alina, I’ve also noticed that my total income from Suite according to the “My Suite” home page is lower than my actual earnings. I noticed it the other day. I keep meticulous track of my earnings and it seems that Suite lost a few hundred dollars in their database somewhere.

Honestly, I’ve lost all faith in their software and ability to properly track PVs and income. Some of my recent daily earnings were lower than what I earned 3 years ago. That just doesn’t make sense.

3. elvenrunelord says:

You did better than me Felicia, my earnings last month tanked 48% less than the previous month.

Its still more than I was making last year, but yea this time of year it hurt. lol
    elvenrunelord recently posted…Handheld Ebook ReadersMy Profile

Wow, 48%. The only saving grace that we have when the residuals tank like that is resorting to up front pay to make up the difference.

I’m glad we have that option. My brother’s job recently told everyone they had to take a 10% pay cut. He doesn’t have the option of supplementing that 10% without taking on a part-time job. Unfortunately, he’s not a writer.

We online folks can always find additional ways to earn a few extra bucks to supplement our short falls.

4. My November earnings were actually my highest yet. But I think it is good to remember where you were a yr ago and compare from there. One year ago I was bringing in a mere $20 in residuals, this yr I brought in over $90.
    Rachel @ Pen Meets Wallet recently posted…November Earnings Update!My Profile

5. Grandma says:

Oh I feel your pain while I am looking at getting one of my most meager paychecks next pay date…oh darn. And I had high hopes despite the traditionally slow holiday time, because when I looked at last November’s earnings, and they were much higher than I expected. So, I figured this month would be similar, hopefully, but alas…the laptop problems, being off-line, holiday blues and some big problems with focus on work combined to bring me here. Now I have work waiting, just need the energy back to get ‘er done again. I even just tried eating a huge breakfast but all that did was make me sleepy. Now I tried setting a regular “work schedule”…9 to noon…and just blew off the first 40 minutes goofing around at various websites and blogs. It’s okay, I know from experience that the work is still being managed somewhere inside my brain in the subconscious area that always seems to pull me through those pinch times. Can’t wait for the new year consciously, but know that is a dumb thought and so wrong because it just blows off the rest of this month to non-productivity. Motivation…motivation….motivation…where are you hiding this time of year? Have done a little looking at the topic of self-sabotage…

Sometimes it hard to stay motivated during the holidays, but my daughter’s cheer leading team seems to keep me motivated. Every time she comes home she needs more money for something. 🙂