Why Freelance Writers Make The Best Internet Marketers

| November 30, 2010

Ken Crawford was kind enough to write this guest post for us here at NJFM.  I want to thank Ken for becoming such an active and valued member of the NJFM community.

As freelance web content writers, we are always looking for ways to add to our revenue streams. After all, it all falls on us to keep our freelance writing business moving forward. Often we look at revenue sharing sites, up-front pay sites, private clients and selling Internet Marketingarticles through various avenues. One avenue of creating an income stream that is not considered very much is Internet marketing.

Now I know when someone even mentions Internet marketing or affiliate marketing, they automatically think of scam artists. Unfortunately, the sad truth is there are a lot of scam artists out there. But what I am talking about has nothing to do with “get rich quick schemes” or anything like that. I am talking about Internet marketing that is promoting products and services from well known brands. Products that you would purchase yourself, or would recommend to friends and family.

What Freelance Writers Do

Think about this for a minute. As a freelance web content writer, you create quality and informational articles to get people to click on ads. Private clients hire freelancers like you and me to create content for their sites promoting products or promoting the benefits of the products. Since you are doing the work, why not cut out the middle man and build sites promoting products directly?

It is not difficult to add this into your  freelance writing business model. Think of it as adding another private client…you. There are some excellent affiliate marketing superstores that offer a wide variety of products and services. Well known name brands over affiliate opportunities through Commission Junction and Share-A-Sale. There is also Amazon, which in my honest opinion is one of the better Shareasalesites. Personally I would stay away from places like Clickbank and RAPbank which offer only digital products. As I matter of fact, there are only 2 that I promote and that is because I have purchased both myself.

Internet Marketing: A Viable Income Stream

Don’t disregard Internet marketing as another income stream in your freelance writing business. Think about this for a moment. We judge how well our articles do by the amount of revenue they generate. Imagine just having one sale a month from each article that generated on the low end, $5 in revenue. Compound that by the articles you write every day strictly for Adsense clicks or page views. That is a nice chunk of change.

It is work, and sometimes there is more in depth research. However as a freelance writer this is what you do anyway. Start out small on someplace like Hub Pages or Squidoo promoting an Amazon product. Write about the benefits or how it solves a problem. Add a couple of links to a product or a range of products. Once you get that first sale, you are going to want another.

Tags: , , ,

Category: Affiliates, Earning Money, Guest Posts, Internet Marketing

1. LilyRose says:

Ken, Felicia & Grandma, thanks for sharing the wisdom as always.

Grandma, I agree w/ you. I’ve heard only great things about Commission Junction and LinkShare. I may try them soon.

I work with ShareResults – an affiliate program for education blogs. I made one payment so far – only $40, but hey, it counts, right?

I’m also working with a textbook affiliate, which has made me zip, zero, nada. So I may take them off.

I’m going to try either CJ or LS in the New Year – I’ll keep you posted. But do any of you know which one may be best for education blogs? Thanks.

2. Grandma says:

Hi Ken – hey, man (woman) was not meant to live alone. Even though some think they are…LOL.

LinkShare – easy to use, but it has been so long since I actually did anything there, all I can advise you is to go check it out and their advertisers. Seems like it is very similar to CJ and they haven’t deactivated me ever for lack of activity, whereas CJ has done that two or three times. Obviously, no one makes any money if they do not work the ads…I am not complaining, and did make a little once upon a time in a galaxy far away….oops…

3. Ken says:

Will- Something else to consider..all that knowledge you gain from buying domains, hosting sites and WordPress you can turn around and create highly useful articles at places like Suite or AC that add to your overall income.

Grandma – I haven’t looked at LinkShare much. How is that compared to CJ? And social interaction…we need that? That explains what is wrong with me..LOL j/k You are so right. It is so easy to get ourselves closed into our own writing world that we forget there is a huge world around us..at least we forget until we check the mail and the bills come in..LOL

Felicia – Thank you for the opportunity. Thank you for doing what you do here and sharing your knowledge, wisdom and advice. Again, you are one of the few that keep things real. I’ve always said if you want to follow somebody, follow someone who is where you want to be and are living the walk. Truly, you are a leader and friend that many will, and should, follow…. 🙂

4. Will says:

Felicia, Ken’s website is a great resource and has quickly become one of my favorites.

Internet marketing is my primary strategy for making money online. Sure, you will have to expand your technical knowledge a bit (buying domains, hosting websites, WordPress), but I think it’s worth it. As an example, you could post the articles you wrote for Textbroker on your own websites. In fact, it’s safe to say that most of the Textbroker clients are internet marketers who are paying you to write their revenue-generating content.

I agree with you Will, Ken’s site is a great resource.

Just to clarify, the articles you write for Textbroker belong to the clients who pay for them. I understand the point you’re trying to make. Many of the clients are hiring Textbroker writers to populate their affiliate/internet marketing sites. I just didn’t want folks to think they could take the same articles they wrote for Textbroker clients and place them on their own sites.

5. Ira says:

Great advice Ken, and Grandma is a gem as always too lol

One question I would ask is, does WordPress allow affiliate marketing? I have a WP site set up, but I have been unable to discern if I am capable of adding those kind of linkthroughs.

I’ll have to look into it more heh

Also, I do havea squidoo account set up with 3 lenses poses so far, but I have seen all of 6 visits in the past month or so. A bit frustrating 😉

Anyhow, this is information regarding things I have been wanting to get started on, myself, so I appreciate it big time. Thanks Felicia for allowing Ken to guest!
    Ira recently posted…The Many Health Benefits Of ComfreyMy Profile

Ira, you can put ads and affiliate links on a self-hosted WordPress installation, but not on one hosted on WordPress.com.

Try Blogger.com. They allow ads and affiliates and it’s free.

• Ira says:

Thanks, Felicia, I will definitely check into blogger for my next site. The one I have on wordpress is basically just a site to direct clients to if they want to see the type of thing I do.

I have been thinking hard about setting up a couple niche blogs, but wanted to find out the advert info before I got started anywhere on them. Sounds like, until I can set up my own domain, blogger will be my home for them hehe
        Ira recently posted…The Many Health Benefits Of ComfreyMy Profile

• Crystal says:

I’m trying something new with your new theme and posting my reply where it belongs instead of at the bottom. It will be interesting to see if it’s obvious or gets “lost” due to positioning.

Anyway, I realized while reading these comments that I have a self-hosted WordPress installation as well as one hosted by WordPress. I switched to Blogger over a year ago because I couldn’t monetize my WP-hosted blog and the self-hosted one had quit letting me upload pictures. But now that I know a little more (very little!) maybe I should try using WP again. I’ve got a domain name already and have been dragging my feet because I’m not sure I want to use it on Blogger, so maybe this is the answer.
        Crystal recently posted…Discount for Christmas!My Profile

Crystal, I’m interested to see where your comment ends up too. Thanks for helping me to troubleshoot this theme.

• Crystal says:

Not sure I like it, Felicia. I’ve revisited several posts and feel I may be missing some important comments because it’s hard to tell what I’ve already read and what I haven’t. In a short thread, it’s not a problem, but in a long one I think it will be. One the other hand, it’s nice to have the comments that pertain to one another all together. I don’t suppose there’s some way to make all comments that are new since the last visit to a page show up in bold or red or something?
            Crystal recently posted…Discount for Christmas!My Profile

Crystal, I see what you mean. I’m not so sure I can make new comments show up in a different color without adding a whole level of complexity. A new comment for you will be a different new comment for Grandma, for example. The software would have to track your last visit and then show the new posts (probably would require registration and sign ins).

I like the threaded reply because it keeps things contained, but it can be confusing because I’ve seen replies on some blogs go 10 replies deep and then it looked weird.

The only way to find the most recent comments at the moment (until I find or figure something else out) is to look at the recent comments box on the right.

Thanks for the input.

• Crystal says:

I figured it was near to impossible. And this is a great format for new folks looking to read through all the comments. I also like that the relevant pieces are together. But is there any way to set the recent comments on the side to display more than five?
            Crystal recently posted…Discount for Christmas!My Profile

Now that’s something I can do. 🙂

• Crystal says:

Thanks for increasing the number of recent comments on the sidebar! I always check them when I visit the site as I’ve found lots of great info buried in NJFM that way.
            Crystal recently posted…Writing for Dollars Review – Another Great Resource for WritersMy Profile

6. Grandma says:

I forgot to add in that I believe freelance writers do need social contact. Otherwise, it is similar to a child that is home schooled – they still need that social contact to thrive. So join a writer’s group or club, do something for social perks. On a freelance work schedule, fitting in a meeting should be easy!

7. Grandma says:

Hey Ken, great advice and so true. I liked using Commission Junction and LinkShare. They are easy to use and have good clients. It makes perfect sense for freelance writers to do internet marketing. Why not put our skills to work for ourselves? One thing to mention is that affiliate marketing does require a little bit of attention. Ads change, there are special offers, coupons, discounts, seasonal specials, et cetera. It takes a little time to stay on top of the offers.

I would be surprised if freelancers do not have their own websites, because it seems so natural to me, but that is me. I have three, one for the Textbroker ebook and others (two up, more coming), another for my freelance writing, and a third that is more for my son and his HVAC business. But I have spent zero effort on it. That is the one where I need to spend some time next year. I am targeting 2011 for a big money year. It will be fun and interesting.

I have decided that being a freelance writer is one of the best jobs in the world. Where else can you work whenever you want, as long or short as you want, any time day or night, any day of the year, with or without kids around, in your pajamas, naked, or whatever….LOL. It is worth working up to a living career and should be even more valuable in the future, as Ken points out.

Hey Felicia, maybe it would be good to post a schedule of freelancer events like conventions, conferences, and so on that writers might like to attend. Oops, you are swamped; maybe I will do it!