Slow and Steady Growth

| November 9, 2010

If you’ve read a post or two on this blog, you know that I tend to take things slow and steady. I’m in this for the long haul.

Disclaimer

I feel it necessary to write this disclaimer because what works for me may not work for you. I tend to take things slow and steady because I don’t want my freelance writing venture to feel like a job (although it did feel rather job like last month when I was a member of the Double O Club – too many DS articles).

Some folks prefer to work at promoting, backlinking, gaining page rank, page views and Alexa rating quickly. The more traffic you get, the better the ranking, the better the chances of making more money.  I understand why folks do it and there’s nothing wrong with it. As a matter of fact, there are several very successful internet marketers and freelance writers that seem to have mastered the skill of driving traffic and making tons of money.Internet Marketing

A few I can think of off the top of my head are:

When you visit their sites, you should download their free ebooks.  There’s a lot of valuable information in them.

Back to Slow and Steady

What I’ve learned over the few years that I’ve been writing online is that it is important to diversify (but you already know that).  More than just diversifying the various writing sites that I write for, I also diversify and spread my blogs around.

I find that if I spend too much time on one blog, I become obsessed. I start checking my stats too frequently and I sign on to my Google AdSense account about 10 too many times during the day.  If the numbers are up, I have a good day.  If they’re down, well, the day isn’t quite so good.Seedling

Planting More Seeds

It finally sunk in that these things take time.  No matter how closely you watch a newly planted seed, it’s not going to change the amount of time it takes for the seed to develop its root system before it can sprout above the ground. Looking at garden dirt day after day is a discouraging waste of time.

Instead of wasting time, I realized I had plenty of seeds so I could start another garden.  While my first blog is developing its root structure with no visible signs of life, I would begin another blog to keep myself occupied so I wouldn’t spend my day staring at dirt.

Once I got the second one up and running, I would then spend time writing articles for the various other sites and blogs. After I made the blog/site rounds, I would check back on the first blog to see if it started to sprout.  If yes, great! If no, it’s time to work on something else.

Evidence of Growth

Although the numbers aren’t very impressive, here’s a seed I planted last January.  Just for grins, I compared the last 30 days worth of visits with the same period of time last year.  The green line represents last year’s visitors and the blue line represents last month’s visitors (click on the image to see it better).

Slow and Steady Growth

As you can see, my little plant is beginning to grow.  Aside from watering it (with new blog posts), fertilizing it (an occasional backlink or two) and placing it in the sun (high-quality informative posts that enlighten readers), I leave it alone to grow. No major spikes or major dips, just slow and steady growth.

Fortunately, the income on the blog has grown in proportion with the traffic.

Not Always Roses

Some blogs do better than others.  Some blogs get better fertilizing, water and sun than others.  Some keep my interest while others don’t.  The one thing I’ve learned, however, is that if I keep a blog around for long enough, my interest eventually returns and reviving an old blog is a lot easier than establishing a new blog.

So, if you don’t see immediate results with your blog, stop staring at it. Plant more seeds.

Tags: , , ,

Category: Blog, Earning Money, Motivation, Niche Sites, Residual Income

1. Christina Crowe says:

Hey Felicia,

I love your plant metaphor. I could totally picture you watering your blog and letting it grow while you plant other seeds to grow out more blogs.

I’m with you in that slow and steady is the way to go. It feels less like a chore if you go slow. I find that I burn out fast if I’m constantly at work without breaks in between.

Christina
    Christina Crowe recently posted…How Reading without Action Can Make Your Business SufferMy Profile

2. kidgas says:

Obviously slow and steady is the way to go. But admittedly it does seem as if the world races on ahead around me while I just muddle along. I have to keep reminding myself of just the points that you make. It has gotten easier to think longer term, but from time to time, the societal influences of immediate gratification get me. Nice to have another reminder.
    kidgas recently posted…Hot or ColdMy Profile

3. Prerna says:

Completely with you on the slow and steady path, Felicia.. Sometimes, though, I feel that am too slow while the rest of the world races ahead.. But then, I need to remind myself of why I’m here and the pace seems just right:-)
    Prerna recently posted…Need Help Getting Organized at Home An eBook to the RescueMy Profile

4. Kenneth Crawford says:

Great advice. Too many people expect one blog or site to grow overnight. When it doesn’t,they toss it and build another or just give up. A good income stream is like a garden. You plant a seed here, another seed there. You nurture it along each day. You pluck the weeds around it and you spend time cultivating. Residual income does not happen overnight. But, when you allow your sites, blogs and articles time to mature they will pay you back month after month.

You are an inspiration Felicia.

5. Living in Washington DC says:

I also like the Low and Steady approach. I’ve read many techniques for creating low quality content, which does well with adsense and other types of advertising. However, I like creating good quality content. My flow is that I tend to be a perfectionist. However, I’m happy with my work and in the long run, everything works out just fine 🙂

Diana

6. Will says:

Cool. About Being There… I watched it because a friend who writes a college football blog compared the protagonist to LSU’s football coach. Great movie… thought-provoking and mildly controversial, but I’ll say no more.

Love the metaphor, Felicia. Staring at dirt – too funny! I’m a slow and steady gal myself, although much slower and less steady than you:) Thanks for those links and the reminder to be patient.
    Crystal recently posted…How to Keep Your Unused Credit CardsMy Profile

8. Will says:

Felicia, I was thinking of the “seeds” metaphor on my way to work this morning. It’s a perfect way of describing what you, I, and many others are trying to accomplish.

Once you see that the effort of others (Starak, Chow, Rouse, etc.) have borne fruit, you take a leap of faith by buying and planting seeds (FYI… I recently saw the movie Being There for the first time, so I’ll try not to get carried away with the “garden” references).

I’ve concluded that blogging/internet marketing/domaining success is based on a three-point triangle:

1. Content (which of course, is king/queen)
    2. Advertising (affiliates, Adsense, soliciting businesses)
    3. Search Engine Optimization (website structure, keyword density, link building)

Until a month ago, I was not interested in SEO. After spending some time reading about it, I’ve become very enthusiastic about the growth prospects of my projects and have started to apply the new tactics I’ve learned.

Best of luck, everyone!