DMS WCA Compared To…

| November 5, 2010

Demand Media StudiosA few months ago I wrote a few WCA (Writer Created Assignments) articles for Demand Media Studios.  In total I have 5 WCA articles.  I wrote the first article in June of 2010.  In comparison, I have 18 articles on Bukisa (first one written in November of 2008) and 23 Hubs over at HubPages.  I wrote my first hub in July of 2009.

On Bukisa I have a network of close to 200 people (of which 10% of my folks actually placed articles on Bukisa). I earn a small daily amount from my Bukisa network. I have a little over 50 referrals on HubPages and of course, no referrals on DMS since they don’t have a referral program.

The Numbers…

For both Bukisa and DMS, I have to earn at least $10 during the month to reach payout.  Therefore, if I earn $9.99 I won’t get paid until the following month. HubPages pays directly through AdSense and I won’t receive an AdSense check until I earn $100.

With my DMS articles, I reached payout in July of 2010 and have done so every month since.  With Bukisa, I reach payout every other month. On rare occasions I earn over $10 in any one month. With HubPages…well, let’s just say that for the 10 months of this year, I would not have received an AdSense check if it were solely based on my HubPages income. As a matter of fact, my HubPages income is less than my Bukisa income.

Reading Between the Excel Spreadsheet CellsBukisa

If you read between the lines, my numbers tell me that I’ll get a better bang for my buck if I write a few Demand Media Studio WCA articles rather than post anything else on Bukisa or HubPages.

Although the DMS WCA articles seem to be performing the best, I’ll continue to add the occasional article on Bukisa and HubPages.  I guess I don’t want to admit defeat and would like to reach the minimum payout each month on a consistent basis. Since the Bukisa earnings are so small, they can go directly into a separate savings account. I could always use the money on my birthday for something special such as a spa treat (or half a spa treat).

Work on the Work

Just a note to say, I don’t work on my work once it’s done.  In other words, it’s very rare that I spend time socially networking my articles (I HubPageswrite too many in any given month to socially network them all and I’m lazy). I’m sure my Bukisa and HubPages numbers would increase if I spent time Digging, Xombing, Facebooking and Tweeting them, but I don’t.  I don’t socially network my DMS articles either.

Your DMS WCA, Bukisa, HubPages Experience

I’m interested to hear how well other folks are doing with Bukisa, DMS WCA and HubPages. Which one is working out best for you?

Tags: , , ,

Category: Bukisa, Demand Studios, HubPages, Legitimate, Opportunities

1. karen says:

I didnt make any money at Hubpages, I’ve stopped writing there and Bukisa I only made 5c, Im now focussing my efforts on Triond earnings increase every day and List my Five. Triond is the best I found so far ..

Karen, I haven’t tried Triond, but it works for you, by all means go for it. Some folks are doing well with Hubpages. I only have a few articles there that seem to earn from time to time. I guess if I had put more time into it I probably would have done better, but my focus is now elsewhere.

2. Christina Crowe says:

Well, the only program I’m a member of out of the list is Demand Studios, and I’ve written about 2 residual income articles for them with tons of upfront pay articles. I should probably add more residual income articles, though I haven’t been motivated much to. So far I’ve earned $2.70 total for the two articles. 🙂

I’m definitely going to try to write more for Demand Studios when I have the time. Right now though, I’ve been focusing my efforts on other activities.

Keep up the terrific work though. Looks like Demand Studios has the most potential for you. 🙂

Christina
    Christina Crowe recently posted…How Reading without Action Can Make Your Business SufferMy Profile

3. Hi Felicia, that’s really impressive! Funny thing for me is that I’ve had the opposite experience: HubPages have been excellent for me with both HubPages, Amazon, and some other affiliate programs while ten articles in the Demand Studios WCP hasn’t done anything for me up to this point. I might write a few more and do a little more actual backlink work to see if they are worth my time or not. I don’t think my lack of success means there can’t be – as I’ve found some writers’ styles are just better at one site than another, but so far it’s been tough sledding for me. Glad to hear someone else is doing better 🙂 Thanks for sharing this post, and thanks for stopping by my blog earlier!
    Master Dayton recently posted…Dragon Naturally Speaking Review- The 15 Minute ReviewMy Profile

4. John Of All Trades says:

Thanks for the post Felicia!

I have been a little reluctant when it comes to posting WCA articles. Recently, I have been getting more involved with niche blogging and building residual income (+ flat-fee DMS articles).

I check your blog every so often- I have to say it is one of my favorites!

A little off topic but….I want to drive more traffic to my websites- Would Squidoo and Ezine be a good choice for back-linking?
    John Of All Trades recently posted…Web Content Writing As A CareerMy Profile

John, both Squidoo and Ezine willd create backlins for your sites. I’ve never used Squidoo, but some folks have been successful there.

Many moons ago when I first started out, I used Ezine articles. Those few articles are still generating clicks today.

5. Diane says:

I would like to start out by saying that I thoroughly enjoy reading No Job For Mom. I am one of your RSS subscribers.

I started writing for DMS in April, after eHow closed the WCP. I want to write WCA articles but I feel embarrassed to say that, after clicking on every related link I could find, that I could not figure out how to start the process. Is a submitted title put up for grabs or is it mine? Does it show up on the work desk after it is approved?

LOL! Diane, I laugh because I went through the same thing when I wrote my first WCA title. I was thinking that it worked similar to the way eHow worked, but it doesn’t.

Once you go to the Create Assignment tab, you’ll be able to insert your proposed title. You’ll have to click the “Check Availability” link to see if the title is available. Once it’s available, you have to go back to your Work Desk to find the title. You’ll see WCA highlighted in yellow next to the title. Then you can write it as you would write any other DMS article.

6. Deanna says:

It is encouraging to me that you have reached payout every month with your DMS WCA articles – especially since you only have 5 there. I am still adding articles to my DMS WCA account, and although it is going smoothly, it takes some time for the articles to actually appear on the site. I am actually enjoying writing “How to” articles again, so if it looks profitable, I may keep it up. Thanks for the update.
    Deanna recently posted…Infopirate – Article Bookmarking SiteMy Profile

7. Will says:

I would also like to know how folks are doing with Bukisa. I recently submitted my first article to the site.

Might there be a way for Bukisa users who read this blog to network on the site?