A Different Flavor for November

| November 2, 2010

I achieved the October Double O goal, but I’m entering November in a more reflective mood.  While it was great earning over $3,100 in October, Ice Cream photo by Becco Eliacikit came at a pretty high price.  I wrote far too many articles for Demand Studios (78 in total).  This month I’m putting Demand Studios on the back burner.

The DMS money  (keep forgetting they changed the name from DS to DMS) allowed me to put some money away, get ahead on a couple of bills, pay for a few dinners out and buy some extra things for my daughter, but it took its toll on my creativity. I liked having the extra money, but I cannot keep up that crazy writing pace.  Writing 77 articles for yourself on topics you enjoy is effortless, writing 77 different iterations on the same topic isn’t.

Switching Up for a Bit

I might write the occasional DMS article in November, but my focus is going to be on writing on topics I enjoy.  I originally $created an aggressive November writing goal, but I tuned it down quite a bit. That’s the beauty of residual income.  If you work hard up front by putting in a nice foundation, over time you can fine tune your daily, weekly and monthly writing routine to accommodate your writing muse.

Quite some time ago I did a post on the money or the muse. Well, last month the money won out, but I don’ think it will win this month. I think it’s time to open the cage and allow the muse to come out to play.

How was your October and what’s on tap for November?

Tags: , ,

Category: Demand Studios, Earning Money, Legitimate, Opportunities, Residual Income

1. Lisa Russell says:

Nice to hear you made it through. I hope November is much more fun for you 🙂
    Lisa Russell recently posted…How to be an Ebook hackerMy Profile

2. I’m doing the $100 dollar club this month, but only for 13 days and then I’m going on vacations. LOL
    Alina Bradford recently posted…Cooks Source Magazine UpdateMy Profile

3. For me the past month was mostly upfront pay, but I managed to work for my passive income interests and my own creative projects the last four days, so at least I got something good in. Right now it’s pushing really hard until vacation on the 15th, and then the rest of the year is a badly needed recharge. Hopefully all the work I’ve put in this year on the passive front will keep compounding by the time I have to pick myself back up for 2011 🙂
    Master Dayton recently posted…Dragon Naturally Speaking Review- The 15 Minute ReviewMy Profile

Master Dayton, enjoy your extended recharge. That sounds real good right about now. I’m feeling a bit singed around the edges.

Hopefully, when my residuals are just a bit higher, I could take an extended recharge too.

4. Christina Crowe ( @CashCampfire ) says:

“Writing 77 articles for yourself on topics you enjoy is effortless, writing 77 different iterations on the same topic isn’t.” – Very well said. I have no idea how you managed to pull 77 articles off (especially considering the company you were writing for – cringes), but at least you were able to get something out of it (the extra dinners out, for example).

This month, I’m going to focus on getting my first eBook launched, first of all, and then work more on the residual income – mainly through other niche websites and building traffic to my main blog.

I love how you’re continuing to post your article progress on the sidebar, by the way. I love following your progress, and I can imagine that it would help a great deal with motivation, since you’ll know we all are rooting for you! 😉

I plan on making use of the plugin myself pretty soon, as soon as my hands aren’t so tied up with this eBook.

Anyway, best of luck with your November goals!

Christina
    Christina Crowe ( @CashCampfire ) recently posted…How to Write with Enthusiasm – Even if You Don’t Want ToMy Profile

5. Well done Felicia! You really worked for the money! I have had a very slow October, so hoping for a better November. You are an inspiration!

6. Anna T says:

That’s really inspiring! I hope to one day be to the point where I can do most of my writing for myself and less for upfront pay. I’m trying to set aside some time each week for backlinking and getting a lot of articles written, but I’m in the “need money now” club, so I’m having to devote a lot of time to wisegeek and demand just to get what I need week to week. I hit $1400 in total earnings from writing last month, which was a record for me!
    Anna T recently posted…November Giveaway!My Profile

7. Grandma says:

I love your focus on productivity! Nose to the grindstone works.

8. Deanna says:

Kudos on the big earnings in October! I know how you feel, though, about becoming burned out from writing on topics you don’t particularly enjoy. Even though I certainly don’t write as many articles a month as you, I do lose my creativity if I write too many articles that are either not my choice in subject or are on the same topic. A month of writing what you enjoy is a great way to spend your November – and you deserve it after such a busy October. 🙂
    Deanna recently posted…Giving Demand Studios EHow WCA Program a ChanceMy Profile

Thanks for the well wishes guys. November should be a very enjoyable writing month.

To answer a few questions,

@Kaiser, my Suite earnings have been tanking so I’ve not placed too much there lately. I’ve got a few posts sprinkled around on NJFM about my Suite earnings.

@Mandy, I attribute my writing productivity to my voice recognition software. My USB headset died a couple of weeks ago. I tried to live without it for a day or two and realized that I needed to run out to the office supply store and get another headset so that I could continue to dictate my work.

As far as my family, my kids are older and in school so I get to write/talk as much as I want during the day. By the time they get home, I’m done writing. On occasion, if I’m particularly motivated or have goofed off during the day, I might write/dictate late in the evening after dinner, but that’s not the norm.

@Kristine, as long as you keep your goals in front of you, you’ll do just fine this month. I wish you luck!

9. Congrats on the double 0 October! It seems it’s constantly a battle between writing for up front pay vs. writing for residuals, isn’t it? Sounds like your November writing is going to be much more enjoyable.
    Julie @ Residual Income Writer recently posted…When Writing for Upfront Pay Has Residual ResultsMy Profile

10. Mandy says:

Felicia, 78 DS articles in a month plus residual articles? Your writing productivity is impressive. Have you always been so productive, or has the speed increased over time? I’d love to see a couple of posts on how you balance your home and family while writing online. I’d love to hear about the practical stuff you and your family do to accommodate your work.

11. Kaiser Castro says:

Hello. I’ve been following your blog for a while. Great stuff!

How are your Suite101 earnings?
    My main source of income is Demand Studios, Examiner, and Suite101.
    Well…Demand Studios to be precise. I’ve been focusing so much on upfront pay, which is no good.
    I will like to jump start my residual streams.

12. Kristine says:

I’m the opposite this month, really need the extra fast cash. So I’m changed to the desk. Wish me luck! You’re output last month is inspiring. I hope for around the same. It’s draining.
    Kristine recently posted…Halloween memoriesMy Profile