Secrets to Success on Constant ContentCeleste Stewart has sold over 2,500 articles on Constant-Content and she shares her secrets in her book Secrets to Success on Constant-Content. Its a must read for anyone serious about making money on Constant-Content.

Time to Join the Double O Club

Double O ClubI feel that I’ve been playing around with this freelance writing stuff long enough. No matter how my residual income fluctuates, I’ve decided to enter and remain in the Double O Club. The Double O Club means that I can calculate my minimum daily income by tacking two zeros on the back of the date.

In other words, I’m going to do what it takes to earn at least $100 a day or more each day of the month from here on out.

Residual Plus Up-Front Income

Currently, I’m accomplishing this through residual income and a few Demand Studio articles each day. Over the past four months my average residual income has fluctuated between $67 and $70 a day (actually, it went from $70 to $67 to $69 and finishing last month at $68). That means that if I solely use Demand Studios as my up-front paying gig, I’ve got to write 3 to 4 articles each week day to reach my daily goals for the month.

Spreading Things Around

I like having the ability to write for Demand Studios and recently, I’ve been on a really good ride writing for them. Although the DS ride has been good, I’ve decided to spread the up-front pay around. For the first time in quite some time, I’m looking for other up-front paying sites. I’m even considering taking on a private client or two just for diversification.

My residual income comes from several sources (at least 10 sources or more). I need to have at least half as many up-front paying options. Up front money comes in handy when you’re suddenly faced with an unexpected emergency (I’m working on becoming debt free so I don’t use credit cards).

Residual Income Makes it EasierDouble O

Entering the Double O Club is a lot easier because I have the cushion of the residual income. But, as the income fluctuates, I’ve still got to keep feeding additional articles to the residual income stream just to keep it alive and thriving.

The more work I put into the residual stream, the larger it will grow over time and the fewer up-front articles I’ll need to write to remain in the Double O Club.

Long-Term Earning Goals

I’m still working towards my $10,000 residual income goal. That’s always in the back of my mind, and as long as my numbers are heading in the right direction, I’m happy. In the meanwhile, the up front cash helps to pay for the little things like cheerleading sneakers (which, by the way, are $30 more expensive this year than they were last year), and larger unexpected things like repairing a car’s rusted sub frame.

The Joys of being a Freelance Writer

If I don’t like my current income, it’s up to me to change it. I don’t have to hope that my employer gives me a raise, or even worse, hope that I don’t get laid off (the more socially acceptable word for fired). If my emergency fund is running a bit thin, that means I’ve got to get my nose to the grindstone to do what it takes to build it back up again.

Join the DOCI guess the summer is truly over and it’s really time for me to get back to work.

BTW, the Double O Club welcomes all types of writers. Come join me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Bookmark and Share

Filed Under: Demand StudiosEarning MoneyFreelanceLegitimateOpportunitiesResidual IncomeSelf Employed

About the Author: Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she's not writing or commenting on NJFM, she's either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites which include Tidbits and Stuff, BLULOW, A Dose of Health and a few other sites/blogs scattered around the internet.

RSSComments (40)

Leave a Reply | Trackback URL

1. Steve says:

I am enjoying reading through your blog. I’ve only been doing the online writing for about 3 weeks now, so I’m quite a noob. I’m in the “absorption of information” mode and it’s like trying to take a sip from a fire hose. If I may ask, you said you have 10+ areas of residual income. Could you elaborate some on those sources? (I’m sorry if I’m asking privy info). I’m right now all into hubpages and trying to build up my article count there. I plan to branch out into other content sites. Is your 10 sources just different content sites? Are they all setup with Adsense, and it’s trickling in? I’m just curious, and thanks for all the info here!
    Steve recently posted..Make Money Writing Hubs

Hey Steve,

Welcome to NJFM. I remember the noob days. I love your analogy of taking a sip from a fire hose. I think I may borrow that from you. :)

Now that I’ve been at this for a while, I’m mainly concentrating on my own sites. When I started writing for content sites I wrote for Suite, eHow, HubPages and Bukisa (there are probably a couple more, but I can’t remember them right now). I also had my own blogs/websites. My sites were start ups back then and not generating much traffic or earning much income.

Over time, as I continued to write for content sites, I also spent time developing my own blogs. Now, 4 years later, I sorta got the hang of the blogging stuff so I’m concentrating more on that (I’ve got at least 10 sites). With Ken’s guidance and advice, I’m going to try my hand at internet marketing.

Bottom line is, as a newbie, cut your teeth on content sites. Once you get a general idea of what’s going on, start building your own sites. Work them both until you’re able to pick and choose which way you want to go.

• Steve says:

Thanks for the quick reply! I’ll definitely stick with the content sites to begin with. I’ve started my own blog just to understand blogging. Do you have any suggestion on which content sites are best to begin with after all this shuffling? I’m on Hubpages, but I think I’ll try my hand at Squidoo. I’ve been thinking of trying Demand Studios. I’m also brain storming subjects I could eventually develop webpages on (wow, 10 is a lot from my perspective right now). Luckily my 9 to 5 job pays well, but it’s not my passion. So I’m looking at online writing as the future!

Steve, it’s hard for me to say which sites are the best after the recent Google reshuffling.

I’d definitely apply at Demand Studios. Not only will you earn money immediately through up front payments, you can also earn residually through their user generated title articles. The residual aspect of Demand Studios will give you an idea as to which topics are more lucrative.

I still recommend Suite 101 even after the Google smack down. Despite what Google says, I think there’s some quality writing there. I’ve never tried Squidoo so I can’t comment on them. Maybe someone else can share their experience with them.

Ten sites may sound like a lot but they’re not all equally active. I get enamored with a subject and blog about it. I later let it sit for a while until I’m enamored again. Some of my sites are business sites while others are an extension of me. Some earn a lot and some don’t.

When I create a blog, I purchase the domain name for one year. If I’m still interested in it a year later, I then renew it for several years whether I add new content regularly or not. Reviving an old blog is much easier than gaining traffic to a new one.

• Ken says:

As far as Squidoo goes, it is very similar to the Hub Pages set-up. Squidoo was smacked hard by Google a few years ago and they took a hit during the Panda updates. BUT, they are still as lucrative to write on as Hub Pages. They are a little more strict on what you can write about. Stay away from “money making” and “weight loss” type articles. Also Squidoo seems to gain more traffic from longer article between the 750 and 1000 word range.
            Ken recently posted..Make Money On Hub Pages

2. Christina Crowe ( @CashCampfire ) says:

Wow, what an interesting concept, Felicia. Sadly, I’m no where near joining the Double O Club. As far as residual income is concerned, I’m almost at $300.. That’s about $10 a day.

But I’m so happy for you! Stay determined and you’ll achieve your goals. :) This post is very motivating. As soon as I’m done writing up my new eBook (first one by the way and will be launched soon, so I’m pretty excited :] ), I’ll work towards joining the Double O Club.

I simply love the whole concept behind it. Great read!

On a side note, mind mapping works. I use mind maps on a regular basis for planning. In fact, there’s even a program called Mind Meister that allows you to mind map online if that was something you wanted to do.

I still like to do it on paper though.. but it can be handy to mind map online and print it out so that you have a more organized mind map to peruse (mine usually looks like scribbles once it’s done).
    Christina Crowe ( @CashCampfire ) recently posted..Are You Setting Lofty Goals Take Baby Steps

3. HealthyOpal says:

Thanks Felicia,

I started making my own products in my teens, 23 years later I’m still doing making them. I was doing it part-time in the late 1990s went full-time in 2002. I picked up a few certifications (such as my aromtheraphy license) along the way.

I’m “mentally unemployable” always been a hard worker but much prefer working for myself. ;)

I definitely agree with some of the others; you should definitely promote what you do even more. I know you’d do well..
    HealthyOpal recently posted..Bye bye solid foods easing into a juice cleanse

4. HealthyOpal says:

Hello Felicia,

Another great article…

I’m in the double O club with my skin care business. I would like to eventually get there with writing. Finding the time to squeeze that in can be challenging.

I mentioned to you that I was accepted at DS. At Demand Studios, I write exclusively for Livestrong, so I get paid $25 per article. I write only about subjects I know. The articles don’t take long. I created a Google customized search (I’ve only listed .edu and .gov are in that search) to include reputable sites, after writing the topic, I just link to a reference that matches my search query. I have been there for a month, but I have not written a lot. However, I was able to land some private clients because of DS. This past week I wrote six articles for DS. That’s the most I’ve written for them in a week.
    HealthyOpal recently posted..Bye bye solid foods easing into a juice cleanse

Congrats Opal. A few years ago a friend of mine started her own skin care business and apparently skin care can be lucrative if you provide a high-quality product. Like you, she uses only natural ingredients.

It sounds like you’re heading in the right direction with your writing too.

5. Lisa Russell says:

actually- I need to agree on the public speaking thing, Felicia. I’m working with a lady here in town, she hosts a weekly social networking coffee club and she teaches small business owners how to manage their facebook page. I’ve picked up some consulting contracts to help companies manage their entire social media presence, plus adding SEO content to their websites. Depending on the company and the contract, I now ghost-blog, post their facebook & twitter updates, maintain their relationships with the public (online reputation management) To top it off, in some of my contracts, I’m allowed to link to my content elsewhere a few times a month. So I’m getting some awesome backlinks to my niche sites. The best part is, I can do most of this work from my phone. Since I’m in school right now (pre-law) and my kids keep me busy- I don’t even have time to write the articles, I buy them from other moms and often just rewrite them to keep with the site’s personality and SEO needs.

I’m telling you- give some serious thought to speaking in public. I haven’t written for DS much ALL SUMMER LONG- and you know our Suite earnings have dropped. I’ve worked less, played more and earned more. Life doesn’t get much better than that. (Actually it will in December when we head out on our road trip. We’re having Christmas in Baltimore, we should get together.

Bla bla bla (talk about off topic)
    Lisa Russell recently posted..How to be an Ebook hacker

Lisa, your schedule amazes me. I am going to look into public speaking. Every so often I get tired of writing, but would like to get the message out there that there that you can earn money in a non-traditional way. Your comments are inspiring.

6. Sara Valor says:

LoL! I kinda had a feeling that was it, after looking for the link the first time I read this page, but, then I thought, maybe I am missing something good here.

Determination and hard work, most definitely!
    Never heard it put like that, I like it, Thanks!
    Sara Valor recently posted..Sara Valor Secrets- Something You May Not Know

7. Sara Valor says:

I am curious too about this Double 0 Club and would like to visit the link as well, Thanks!
    Sara Valor recently posted..Sara-Valor- How to find out if a work at home job offer is a scam @ TipDropcom- http-bitly-aW5x16 via @addthis

The “link” between where you are and the Double O club is called determination and hard work. There’s no hypertext link for joining the Double O club.

8. Kayte says:

Felicia, I love your attitude and can’t wait to join you in the double 0 club. I so want to ditch the day job and start writing full time (maybe early next year, fingers crossed), although I’ll be doing a whole lot more up front articles than you. Keep up the good work. As others have said, you really are motivational.
    Kayte recently posted..My First InfoBarrel Article

9. Jan says:

Okay….how do I sign up for this??? (The Double O Club etc) I’ve been a professional writer who has a total of five full length books (not self published)since 2008. My passion is writing and my books are well received because I write with that same passion and instill feelings and emotion into what I write. Whether it’s an article, a blog or a training manual, I feel that it should always be motivating to the reader. Why waste time just putting words down for someone to read when you can take that same reader on an awesome mental journey and where they’ll remember what they read. I’ve been getting all of my writing projects from another freelance site but I want to expand. Will someone help me expand?

10. Great blog post! I was hoping to concentrate more on passive income this year, but life and past debts definitely got in the way. Fortunately, I’m getting to the point where I can spend more time on passive income than with active work. I’ll be following right behind ya’ with that double-O club.
    Master Dayton recently posted..Finding Private Freelance Writing Clients

11. Krista says:

Wow! I wish I could join this club – maybe next year I will be at the double digits :)

Krista, stick with it and you will join the club. The only reason why I’m able to even think about entering the Double O club is because I didn’t give up.

Tenacity and diversity are the tickets for joining. Hang in there.

12. Kristi says:

Hey Felicia:

Great post and like you, I love to spread the money around. Although I love residuals, it fluctuates like crazy and it is a very good idea to have some active income coming in. This month, I plan on hitting the double 00+ 50 club ($150 per day).I’ve been hitting the double 00 + 25 ($125 per day) for a while now but plan to kick it up a notch this month. I’m sure that we can all do it if we focus and take action.

Kristi

Congrats Kristi on your impressive numbers.

I’m quickly finding that my attempt at hitting the double Os has the serendipitous effect of bringing quite a few extra dollars along with it. Since I only work Monday through Friday, the extra dollars have to makeup for the weekend slumps, but its been interesting watching the developing trend. It’s only been 6 days so I have to wait to see how it all pans out.

13. Tashana says:

You know Felicia, every time I read your posts I can see this site becoming the aficionado of ‘how to’ for every freelancer out there. This is the only site that is not only digestible, understandable, and wide open, but friendly (can a site be friendly? lol).

That is what makes your site so unique – you are up front and honest about your residuals and you usually only find that in those affiliate ads looking to sell you pipe dreams. But everyone who comes to your site knows immediately that your dreams are anything but piped.

You are the example to those of us who are slowly inching towards financial freedom by way of freelancing. I kid-you-not I read your posts now, not just for information, but for motivation.

I look forward to the day when your blog becomes the main stream – then we who have regaled in the purity of your wisdom and energy can say we knew you when…

Thank you for remaining true to who you are and true to your readers.

Oh my, Tashana. I’m doing a serious blush here!

You give me too much credit. I think we’re all in this together. It just so happens that I started doing this just a little earlier than some of you, but we all seem to be striving for the same goal.

I’m glad that I motivate you, but you guys also motivate me. It’s a give and take here at NJFM. You guys are the ones who listen to thoughts and comments after I’ve talked my husbands ears off about online writing (he humors me, but if you’re not an online writer, you don’t really understand).

My friends and family want to do what we do to earn the extra money, but they don’t enjoy it so they quickly give up. You guys, on the other hand, you guys stick with it. A few years from now when the dough is rolling in, we’ll have a lot to celebrate!

As far as going main stream (what ever that is), I think I’m a little too quirky to appeal to the masses. Heck, I don’t even like social networking, so I doubt I’ll be a hit with the main stream folks. :)

Thanks for the shot in the arm, Tashana.

14. You’re doing fantastic Felicia. Most of my days are around the $100 or more. I want to find a few more residual sites to boost the amount just a little more.
    Alina Bradford recently posted..Freelance Jobs- What is Antiques Republic

15. Deanna says:

Thanks, Felicia, on both counts. I love my Windstar too; it’s the first vehicle we ever owned that was purchased in the year it was made! It’s a 2003 and I haven’t had any major problems with it yet (cross fingers). I call it my dinosaur because it’s an XL (slightly larger than the normal mini-van), can be a little difficult turning in tight places and is a tan-silver color that turns green in the shade. It’s like a color-changing car. Anyway…thanks for the info – my son is going to look up info on it to see what can be done.
    Deanna recently posted..Back From Short Vacation

16. Deanna says:

I think it is just wonderful that you are able to earn $100 a day with freelance writing, even if it is a combination of residual and up-front pay. I have also been on the lookout for other ways to increase my writing income. Residual is great, but it does take time to build. I’d like to find a more permanent writing gig (other than Constant-Content) so I am searching for other options. I’m hoping to find a site that will actually challenge my writing skills, where I can’t be lazy or where I don’t have to write in the same format for every article. (Yea, I know, good luck with that!).

On another subject – I’m read your article on Windstars and unsafe subframes and am going to have my son (he’s a mechanic) look at mine soon. I need my dinosaur to run a couple more years! Thanks for the great article!
    Deanna recently posted..Back From Short Vacation

17. Jonathan Wylie says:

Well, that was interesting reading about your previous Bright Hub experiences, and on getting a response from the management! I have been with Bright Hub since November last year and only threw it out there because I know they are looking for writers in a lot of channels right now. Maybe you would have better luck this time around. If you apply for anything in the education, multimedia or electronics hubs then let me know and I will see if I can put a good word in for you with the managing editors. :o)
    Jonathan Wylie recently posted..The Best Educational iPad Apps for Teachers

18. Grandma says:

I did a hefty article for TB about mind mapping. This may fit well with this topic. Mind maps can be done by individuals or groups, and they are different than concept maps. It facilitates brainstorming and idea generation. It is also a form of note taking, etc.

Basically, you put a keyword in the center of a horizontal piece of paper, and then put whatever you feel relates to it around it, and then subtopices, etc. Like a flow chart but not restrictive. There is no wrong in a mind map, and it helps you think outside the box. Then you connect the words to the subtopics and then to the main keyword.

It might be helpful to try this with putting “$100/day” in the center as the keyword and see what you can come up with to relate to that keyword. Just a graphic way to think on paper. Use colors, symbols, etc. When done, it looks rather like an intricate road map with freeways, highways and secondary roads all around the center word.

19. Prerna says:

Totally with Grandma on the Motivational Speaker part! You’d rock! And yes, I’d love to join you in the Double 00 club but am still struggling to stay afloat in the Ole’s Single 0 :-) Some day soon, am sure!

All the best to you always!
    Prerna recently posted..Six Ways to Simplify Your Time Online

Great goals, Felicia – both the $100/day and becoming debt free. We’ve been 100% debt free for over 8 years now and I highly recommend it!
    Crystal recently posted..Is Readbud Legit The Jury is Still Out

Crystal, 8 years debt free, that sounds wonderful! I think the biggest obstacle about becoming debt free is setting your mind to become debt free. The rest is implementation. Now that we’re all on board (meaning my hubby and me) we’re sticking with the plan until it’s done.

I think earning money as a freelance writer has convinced both of us that if you have a dream and keep working on it, it can be done.

Grandma
      , that sounds interesting. I’m a big fan of Brian Tracy and he also mentions mind mapping. His is a little different from your suggestion, but it sounds interesting.

Right now, I have $100 a day so firmly implanted in every fiber of my being that I’m almost obsessed. Every cent that I make is charged on my Excel spreadsheet which tells me how much more I need to make each day to reach my goal.

Jonathan, I’ll look into BrightHub again to see if there are any topics I might be qualified for. Thanks for the offer.

Deanna, as I come across interesting up-front paying sites, I’ll share them.

As far as the Windstar goes, I was contacted by a gentleman in Canada who wants to institute a class action suit if this issue isn’t recalled. He spent $2,600 repairing his subframe. I’m not sure how a Canadian/US class action suit works, or if it can work, but he put together some interesting info that sounds like the makings of another article on the topic.

I love my Windstar. Aside from the subframe, its in great condition. Trying to become debt free and all, I want to ride it until the car looks and me and asks to be put out to pasture. :)

21. Renee says:

Oh, ok Felicia. I wanted to try my hand at blogging but it seems like really hard work to build up the traffic and finally make some money with adsense. I don’t know if I can stay committed to it.

I am cooking up some residual income ideas with good ole’ PLR products. I want to create and sell them to internet marketers who don’t have the time or writing skills to produce their own content. The key is separating myself from the pack of others who create these products. Still brainstorming ideas. I’m learning that there is definitely a ceiling writing for up-front payment sites. There’s only so many hours in a day to write…

Renee, stick with your dream! I haven’t ventured into the PLR arena, but if that’s the way that works for you, keep cookin’ up those ideas and come up with your own unique way to make it work. If you can imagine it, you can make it happen.

All to often we fall into doing what everyone else does. I’m excited for you because you understand that “The key is separating myself from the pack of others who create these products.” Write those words down and read them whenever you get discouraged.

You’re right, there are only so many hours in the day to write so you’ve got to come up with something that will pay you when you either run out of time or don’t feel like writing. Way to go Renee! It all starts with a dream.

22. Jonathan Wylie says:

Felicia if you are looking for another upfront writing site that also does residuals I would recommend BrightHub.com. I have has some pretty good luck with them. Up front article payment is $10 per article, but senior writers get $15, and there are commissioned content opportunities that come up now and again for between $20 and $40.

23. Renee says:

I love this post!! Very motivational. But Felicia, 10 residual income sources?? I’m still trying to find my 1st one.

This is a timely post because I just said to myself this morning that I need to start earning at least $100 a day. I can only do this with upfront payments for the time being, so I have a lot of work cut out for me. Good news is I am extremely motivated thanks to the huge tuition bill staring me in the face, and only 6 hrs needed to graduate with a degree in Finance. I have to graduate (1st in my family to do so)… so I am willing to work 16 hr days for a while to accomplish this goal.

I’ve found a groove writing for TB. I’ve had minimum success with Constant Content, but I see a lot of potential there. I’ve applied to a couple more writing sites and I’m just waiting on a response. I have a couple more tricks in bag that I think will help me accomplish my goal.

Okay, I’m talking (typing) too much… this could have been an article. Lol. Just kidding. Anyways, great post Felicia.

Renee, some of my revenue sources are tied to my own blogs such as affiliates and ad networks, they’re not all online writing sites. I think I’d burn out if I wrote for 10 different sites. :)

24. Grandma says:

Oh I am so in! I LOVE $100 a day! You definitely have earned your “Nose to the Grindstone” badge, Felicia. What a wonderful attitude, and you are so right.

I was just telling someone today that it takes a new way of thinking about income to make it now, regardless of the state of the economy. Alternative income is where it is at, but to succeed also means total dependence upon oneself, never giving up and reminding oneself about what it takes to make it work.

Building the residual income is just like building a house. Lay a good foundation, keep it in repair, and build up one brick at a time. What great advice you continue to provide. Thank you!

You could make money being a motivational speaker….online or off!