A Quick Apology

| September 29, 2010

OoopsWow, it appears that my software stopped notifying me of new comments.

Thanks Crystal for giving me a nudge.

I signed onto NJFM this morning and found quite a few comments waiting.  Hmmm, guess I’ve got to look under the hood to see what’s going on.

Sorry guys.

Tags:

Category: Blog, Maintenance

1. HealthyOpal says:

Aww what a cute dog!
    Felicia, Have you upgraded all your WordPress plugins? One of your plugins is most likely the culprit. I would deactivate and reactivate them one at a time. I have had to do that before of course that means you will have to create a test comment until you stumble upon the culprit, hopefully, you do not have too many addons.

I’m trying to look for a quick fix because I sure don’t want to uninstall WordPress and reinstall it with an earlier version. That would mean having to reinstall the template, customize it, etc., etc.

I would not recommend using an earlier version of WordPress since you could open yourself up to hacking attempt, along with some WordPress addons not being compatible with an olcer version. Two of my sites were compromised a few months ago. I did not update WordPress for about a week. It is the first time I have held off, but I learned an important lesson. I had my hosting provider take my sites offline, I found and removed the compromised files (pages that had been inserted and pointed to a phony Paypal site) had been added to in my WordPress maintenance folder. Thankfully I back up everything so once the phony files were eliminated I was back in business. I did add extra layers of protection; something I had forgotten to do on my two newer web sites.
    HealthyOpal recently posted…Soccer win and reflectionMy Profile

Opal, all of my plugins are updated. I fell prey to a hack attack some time ago (I blogged about it somewhere here on NJFM) and have since made it a habit of backing up and upgrading my blogs.

I guess I should have realized I had an issue when on one of my lesser frequented blogs had a comment or two that I was unaware of until I signed in. Thinking that the comment notifications got lost in my normal flurry of emails, I didn’t think much of it. It wasn’t until Crystal gave me a nudge and I signed in on my NJFM site to see so many comments sitting there I realized there was a problem.

After ruling out a problem with my hosting company, I was able to isolate the problem to the time and date of upgrading to 3.0.1. From what I read, 3.0.1 was basically a bug fix upgrade (I might be wrong). In the meanwhile, I have to manually log into all of my blogs to see if there are any new comments. That would be okay if I only had one or two blogs, but with several it becomes time consuming.

Because I had other pressing issues, I haven’t spent much time looking for or thinking about a fix. The work around right now is to log into the various blogs a few times a day to check for comments. However, over the next week or so I’m going to have to figure out a better fix than my current work around.

In my brief research, I’ve found that I’m not the only one suffering with this symptom.

If you hear of a better work around, I would appreciate it if you could pass it along.

Wow, I had a major “DUH” moment.

After spending time trying to figure out why I stopped receiving email notifications of new comments, my hosting company, HostGator, told me to check my spam folder.

Lo and behold…my notifications were going to my spam folder.

I thanked and apologized to HostGator (that’s an affiliate link) for wasting their time.

Lesson Learned: When ever there’s a problem with receiving emails…check the spam folder.

Another Lesson Learned: HostGator is a pretty terrific hosting company for responding so quickly.

2. Felicia says:

Well, at least I found the culprit. I held off on upgrading from WordPress 3.0 to 3.0.1 and I finally upgraded on the 25th of September. That’s when the problem started. Apparently it broke a couple of things under the hood.

If anyone knows of a quick fix to WordPress 3.0.1, I’m all ears.

You’re welcome, Felicia. Glad to see things back to normal – I was really missing my morning NJFM fix!
    Crystal recently posted…Is Readbud Legit The Jury is Still Out My Profile

Crystal, apparently I’m not back to normal. I’m not getting my email notifications so I guess I’ll have to go back under the hood again. Gotta love this internet stuff!

4. Felicia says:

I found the culprit. It was me…

I changed my comment notification email address to one that I had not configured to automatically forward to my Mozilla Thunderbird email program. Therefore, all of my comment notifications were sitting somewhere on a server that I never frequent.

Sometimes the more things change, the more they should stay the same. Problem fixed.