This one is a freebie. If you want to learn the basics of becoming an online freelance writer, download So You Want to Be a Freelance Writer (also available in Kindle format).

Writer Access: Another Online Writing Site

I’d like to thank Larkspur (oops, my bad) Leigh, a frequent contributor to our Textbroker thread, for sharing this writing opportunity. It sounded like it might be a legitimate place for writers so , I’d like to share it with the folks who don’t always read the Textbroker thread (I don’t blame you, it’s very, very long – I’ve got to figure out how to make it more manageable).

WriterAccess.com is similar to Textbroker in that their job is to bring clients and writers together. You must apply on their site, provide a writing sample and a resume. There has been a bit of banter back and forth as to whether the resume must be a “Writer’s Resume” or a resume belonging to a person whose field of expertise is other than writing but has the ability to write about it.

Basic Info About Writer Access

According to the Who Is information, Writeraccess.com first registered its domain name in June of 2008. The registrant, administrative contact and billing contact all point to Byron White at LifeTips.com. I think some of you are familiar with LifeTips.

The site has a page rank of 3 and an Alexa rating of 232,903. Actually, I don’t think the page rank and Alexa ranking means so much with a site like this. What I’m more concerned about is their reputation and the ability to pay on time. Seeing the Better Business Bureau membership logo and having their application hosted on a secure server are two steps in the right direction.

The Application Process Writer Access

Currently Writer Access is only available to US writers with PayPal accounts (you must complete a W-9 form). This may change, but only time will tell.

If you are a US writer with a PayPal account, visit the Writer Access Free Writer Application page and fill in the necessary information. They ask basic information about your areas of interest, both professionally and personally. You also have to provide an overview of why you wish to write for them.

There is a section of the application where they provide a listing of writing interest/expertise. If you select one, they ask how many paid assignment you have completed in that field of interest. I conveniently bypassed the entire list and went to the next page.

Writer Access asks for a sample (they won’t publish the sample) and they want a resume. You can upload or type your resume in the box provided.

Once you complete the application you are immediately sent a confirmation email and a password to enter the site.

Roaming Around the Writer Access Site

I’ve only spent a few minutes roaming around the site, but the user interface appears to be clean and intuitive. When I logged on I saw over 100 assignments for Level 4 writers. The titles ranged in topics from calculators to insurance. The word count ranged from 375 to 400 words and the rate of pay was $14.56. That’s not bad considering that Demand Studios pays $15 for up to 500 words in their ‘How to’ format.

In reviewing their FAQ, after submitting an assignment, the client has 72 hours to accept or ask for changes. If they don’t respond within 72 hours, the assignment is automatically accepted. And, as with Textbroker, once the client accepts and pays for the assignment, you no longer hold the copyright for it.

Article Pay Rate

The minimum rate of pay according to their website is as follows:

Level 2 earns 0.91 cents per word
Level 3 earns 2.03 cents per word
Level 4 earns 3.57 cents per word
Level 5 earns 4.76 cents per word

Apparently clients can add a bonus to the payment prices if they wish.

Payment is made via PayPal the first week of the month after your balance has reached $10.

This seems like a nice opportunity and a change of pace for folks who usually write for Textbroker. I don’t know if they have as many assignments as Textbroker has, but between the two, you should be able to make a few bucks.

If you have tested the Writer Access waters, please share your experience.

Oops!  My Bad. Although Larkspur provided a lot of helpful information on the Writer Access thread, it was actually Leigh who brought it to our attention.  Sorry Leigh (BTW- Leigh has some good stuff on her blog…you should pay her a visit).

NOTE: If the first few comments below seem out of order its because they were originally posted on the Textbroker thread.  I thought it would be better to move them here since the posts discuss Writer Access.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Bookmark and Share

Filed Under: LegitimateOpportunitiesWriter Access

About the Author: Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she's not writing or commenting on NJFM, she's either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites which include Tidbits and Stuff, BLULOW, A Dose of Health and a few other sites/blogs scattered around the internet.

RSSComments (110)

Leave a Reply | Trackback URL

1. Renee says:

I have found myself somewhat frustrated with WA because of the lack of articles. I have written one article that was quickly accepted, but nothing since then. The lack of articles could be the result of being rated at a level three. Each time I log in, I see level 2 articles that are not worth writing, or a message that states they are out of work. The part that really eats me up is the email I get in the morning telling me how many articles they added the day before. How is that helpful? Lol. I would much rather and email when they first add articles, so I can quickly log in and start working.

Anyways, I’m glad some are having great experiences with WA. I am still waiting on mine.

2. larkspur says:

I like this site and I was really excited about them at first. But since I first signed up, I’ve only had a handful of jobs. I think part of the problem is that the job posting notification comes AFTER they post them and by the time I log in, they are all gone. Not sure why, but that email always comes to me in the middle of the night.

I did manage to snag a blog article today, so that was good. Hopefully I get on some “love lists” soon!

Thanks Leigh and Grandma for the quick response. It’s nice to have real people confirm that WA is legitimate.
    Crystal recently posted..Find a Variety of Kids Crafts in the Wrights Classroom Online

4. Grandma says:

Oh I was paid in a timely manner, on October 7th for September writing that was approved. Also, they have answered any emails promptly. I am satisifed with them, but would hope they get more work for us.

5. Leigh says:

I have actually been paid from WA! I’ve actually been paid by their parent company too…they hired me from my WA application to write for one of their clients and I was assigned over $300 in work for that this month in press releases, articles, and blog posts. I lucked out!

I am on someone’s love list on WA so I’ve had consistent work there too for the past week.
    Leigh recently posted..My New Favorite Online Writing Site

I haven’t signed on with WA yet – truthfully, I forgot about it. I think I’ll hold off until some of my trusted co-commenters here at NJFM report actually being paid and then give it some thought. So please keep us posted, everyone!

7. April says:

yes…my budget can’t take it too well either! I wish the level 5 client at TB would make a reappearance soon! :-) I keep a tab open for WA and check on availability of articles once in a while. I noticed that I never receive notification of orders until the next day! I actually have yet to write the first thing there! I noticed 3 or 4 at level 5 yesterday…all of which I would have loved to have got my hands on! :-) I haven’t done much at TB this month either. Trying to keep busy with a couple of clients at CC though! :-)

8. Grandma says:

Nope. Did about $63 last month, nothing this month. By the time we get an email that there are orders up, most are gone. A little disappointing, but maybe they will improve over time. Haven’t had much at TB either…that I wanted to write. It’s a choice. I look at it as a very much needed time off for me after working hard. The only problem is my budget can’t afford time off.

9. April says:

Anybody having much luck at WA? They did finally set my ranking at a 3…which I fully expected since I don’t have a blog or website (that seems to be the criteria for starting at a higher level). I intended to hopefully work my way to a 4 by accepting some orders, but there never seem to be any at a 3! Unlike Textbroker, you are still able to view articles at levels above you. There are currently 2 at level 5 that I would love to write…one of them I know I could complete with little to no research time involved! Just aggravating! I wish they would get some orders soon!

10. April says:

still awaiting evaluation on my application…submitted Friday night. I sent an email this afternoon.

11. Leigh says:

Just heard from another writer that she was paid on the 9th last month.
    Leigh recently posted..Working from Home as a Search Engine Rater

12. Leigh says:

From another forum: “If he managed to request the transfer on Friday (which was the 1st), today is the fourth day. In that case, it could be today, but more likely would be tomorrow.”
    Leigh recently posted..Working from Home as a Search Engine Rater

13. Leigh says:

This month will be my first payment from them :-) I was just contacted by someone at IdeaLaunch, their parent company, asking me for my mailing address so they could send me a check for the work I did for them (they pulled me from the WriterAccess pool for it).

I read something on another forum about how the money is put into Paypal to pay us, then they wait three days, then send it?? Not sure if I’m missing something there, but payment should have probably gone out yesterday. I’ll ask around.
    Leigh recently posted..Working from Home as a Search Engine Rater

14. Grandma says:

Hey Leigh…what day did they pay you on last month? Their website indicated “first of month” but did not specify the date as the 1st. I figure by the 8th we should have something.

Also on the three day automatic approval…not happening for two of mine yet, even though I emailed them…but maybe they are out for a couple days. Not worried. TB pays on schedule, always.

15. larkspur says:

I haven’t been paid for last month either, but since they don’t really give a specific date of payment, I am not too worried. I have confidence…they seem like they know what they are doing! :)

16. Leigh says:

I haven’t been paid yet for last month, but I know people who have never had a problem getting paid by them and have worked for them for months.
    Leigh recently posted..Working from Home as a Search Engine Rater

17. April says:

I applied to WA Friday night. Still waiting on evaluation. I understand no one is in the office on weekends…the 48 hours they say I should hear something in then will be up tonight. Apparently, you can go ahead and start writing at a level 2 before they evaluate you. I have seen a couple of “tips” articles, but haven’t written anything as of yet. One thing that concerns me is that they state that payments will be made at the first of the month…as the balance is available??? Has anyone been paid by this site…and are they fairly consistent with payments?

18. Tashana says:

Thanks Felicia. That’s great advice.

19. larkspur says:

Yes, originally I was really excited about this site but I haven’t written anything for them in the past week. I did those four articles right off the bat, then a tip…but now I just can’t bring myself to work on any more tips. The $2 doesn’t seems worth it. Hopefully they bring back some higher paying requests soon! I am still interested to see when they pay – it should be next week.

20. HealthyOpal says:

Whoops the html list code did not work in the comments, just pretend there is a comma after each step. ;)
    HealthyOpal recently posted..Soccer win and reflection

21. HealthyOpal says:

Hey Felicia,

I saw your comment about getting tough weeding through the comments. You can fix that by setting up “threaded comments”. It makes the reply to comment aspect a lot neater since your reply will fall directly under the poster who is asking the question.

You can get a WordPress addon, or you can use the addon built into WordPress. For the built in addon log into WordPress Admin Panel SettingsDiscussionsOther Comment Settings Enable Threaded Comments

With my personal blog I use an addon, since I like the threading better than the default WordPress Plug-in, it’s called WP-Threaded comments http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-thread-comment/

With another I use the default since WP Thread disagrees with my WP Theme.
    HealthyOpal recently posted..Soccer win and reflection

22. Renee says:

While I too wish they have more article titles to write for, I am not quite prepared to write them off. Like Felicia said, WA is a great tool to have (among many) in the arsenal. I will keep and eye on them from time to time. I may be able to pick up some good extra money. Still looking for a good residual site besides Suite 101… I guess I am not Suite material.

23. Leigh says:

But they are only a year old, so I’m still quite hopeful. They are very easy to write for. You can’t write them off yet for being low in titles because who knows where they might be in a few months or a year from now!
    Leigh recently posted..Working from Home as a Search Engine Rater

24. Grandma says:

Actually, they upgraded me to a 4 right away, but so far only one of those available and grabbed for me. Lots of 2s, no 3s, but that doesn’t matter because they pay so much better than TB 2s. Had a $100 article done and approved over at TB, so that was a nice big one. Have to make lots of money this month so I can move again from Michigan to Colorado to live. Going to stay put there. Having a ball here, but it is only temporary situation. Too bad. On the other hand, I get nice fall here, and nice fall there…and better weather, sunshine.

25. Prerna says:

Thanks for sharing this Felicia.. Hopefully, they’ll open up to non US writers soon..
    Warmly,
    Prerna
    Prerna recently posted..How to Have an Organized Mommy Handbag Moms’ 30- Minute Blog Challenge

26. Tashana says:

Well, after 72 hours, my LifeTip on Writersaccess.com was approved for a whole $2.61. I wonder how common it is for these smaller articles to go unrevised? I guess I’ll keep writing and find out.

The biggest miss for me is assignments do not seem to be available very often so I wonder if putting to much stock in is worth it.

Again, we shall see.

Tashana

Tashana, take advantage of the titles when they’re available. When they’re not, you can spend time adding more content on Examiner or elsewhere. Think of Writer Access as a tool in your freelance writing arsenal, not the tool in your arsenal.

27. Grandma says:

Seems strange that everyone is seeing different numbers and types of articles. When I got going last night, there were about 80 articles up for writing. Did 11 so far and reached my normal daily goal very quickly. Nice option to have as there was nothing I chose to do on elsewhere. Time will tell, but this seems to be promising.

The pay for 2 and 3 level articles is much better than TB, but the 5 levels actually pay a little bit less than a TB 5. I certainly will continue to look to Textbroker as my mainstay opportunity.

Grandma, you have the best of both worlds. 5 on TB and the ability to write the 2′s and 3′s on WA. You’re right, though. They don’t seem to have a lot of titles available, at least not as many as Textbroker.

28. Tashana says:

Well, I just got accepted to this site so we’ll see how it goes. I noticed that there aren’t very many articles of personal interest so I guess I’ll have to dig into my little writer’s research bag and pull out some goodies.

I’ll let you know what happens.

Thanks Felicia

29. Rene says:

My application finally got accepted at WA (and there are no articles available). I was rated a level 3. This was slightly disappointing since I’m a 4 at TB, but it makes sense after looking at their rating guidelines. A level 3 at WA still earns more per word than a level 4 at TB. It seems like WA is a good break between TB jobs, because they certainly lack work volume and I’m not sure how much a person can really make there. (Sorry if I have typos in this post, I’m commenting from me cell)

30. blackpup says:

BTW Felicia, your website NJFM is wonderful. I found it totally by accident by doing a Google search and I am so glad I did. I started skimming through your e-book also about tips for freelance beginners. Wow, you really put yourself out. Thanks so much for all you do.