Writer Access: Another Online Writing Site

| September 22, 2010 | 110 Comments

I’d like to thank Larkspur (oops, my bad) Leigh, a frequent contributor to our Textbroker thread, for sharing this writing opportunity. It sounded like it might be a legitimate place for writers so , I’d like to share it with the folks who don’t always read the Textbroker thread (I don’t blame you, it’s very, very long – I’ve got to figure out how to make it more manageable).

WriterAccess.com is similar to Textbroker in that their job is to bring clients and writers together. You must apply on their site, provide a writing sample and a resume. There has been a bit of banter back and forth as to whether the resume must be a “Writer’s Resume” or a resume belonging to a person whose field of expertise is other than writing but has the ability to write about it.

Basic Info About Writer Access

According to the Who Is information, Writeraccess.com first registered its domain name in June of 2008. The registrant, administrative contact and billing contact all point to Byron White at LifeTips.com. I think some of you are familiar with LifeTips.

The site has a page rank of 3 and an Alexa rating of 232,903. Actually, I don’t think the page rank and Alexa ranking means so much with a site like this. What I’m more concerned about is their reputation and the ability to pay on time. Seeing the Better Business Bureau membership logo and having their application hosted on a secure server are two steps in the right direction.

Writer Access Application Process Writer Access

Currently Writer Access is only available to US writers with PayPal accounts (you must complete a W-9 form). This may change, but only time will tell.

If you are a US writer with a PayPal account, visit the Writer Access Free Writer Application page and fill in the necessary information. They ask basic information about your areas of interest, both professionally and personally. You also have to provide an overview of why you wish to write for them.

There is a section of the application where they provide a listing of writing interest/expertise. If you select one, they ask how many paid assignment you have completed in that field of interest. I conveniently bypassed the entire list and went to the next page.

Writer Access asks for a sample (they won’t publish the sample) and they want a resume. You can upload or type your resume in the box provided.

Once you complete the application you are immediately sent a confirmation email and a password to enter the site.

Roaming Around the Writer Access Site

I’ve only spent a few minutes roaming around the site, but the user interface appears to be clean and intuitive. When I logged on I saw over 100 assignments for Level 4 writers. The titles ranged in topics from calculators to insurance. The word count ranged from 375 to 400 words and the rate of pay was $14.56. That’s not bad considering that Demand Studios pays $15 for up to 500 words in their ‘How to’ format.

In reviewing their FAQ, after submitting an assignment, the client has 72 hours to accept or ask for changes. If they don’t respond within 72 hours, the assignment is automatically accepted. And, as with Textbroker, once the client accepts and pays for the assignment, you no longer hold the copyright for it.

Article Pay Rate

The minimum rate of pay according to their website is as follows:

Level 2 earns 0.91 cents per word
Level 3 earns 2.03 cents per word
Level 4 earns 3.57 cents per word
Level 5 earns 4.76 cents per word

Apparently clients can add a bonus to the payment prices if they wish.

Payment is made via PayPal the first week of the month after your balance has reached $10.

This seems like a nice opportunity and a change of pace for folks who usually write for Textbroker. I don’t know if they have as many assignments as Textbroker has, but between the two, you should be able to make a few bucks.

If you have tested the Writer Access waters, please share your experience.

Oops!  My Bad. Although Larkspur provided a lot of helpful information on the Writer Access thread, it was actually Leigh who brought it to our attention.  Sorry Leigh (BTW- Leigh has some good stuff on her blog…you should pay her a visit).

NOTE: If the first few comments below seem out of order its because they were originally posted on the Textbroker thread.  I thought it would be better to move them here since the posts discuss Writer Access.

Tags: , , ,

Category: Legitimate, Opportunities, Writer Access

Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she’s not writing or commenting on NJFM, she’s either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites.

1. Lisa Brown says:

Writers2connect.com is fairly good site, you can select how much you want per article, looks like they have much more work as their prices are low compared to other competitors, thus we also have to charge less so they remain comparative.

Overall a good experience working with them

Lisa

2. Lisa Brown says:

Hi,

Just found a new site called writers2connect.com here it’s simple no levels you just have to qualify by doing a test and you get started, it alo offers content in 25 languages which is good if you do multilingual projects.

Lisa

3. April says:

Patricia,

Welcome to the world of freelancing! Writer Access is ok, but they don’t have much work. I am looking for Demand to make another big change soon…they are known for throwing writers for a loop…(I personally don’t put much stock in them). Textbroker is where I started out, and I definitely suggest them as a great place for new Internet writers to get their feet wet. Felicia has some great sites listed in the database, and you will discover more along the way. Good luck!

4. Patricia says:

Hi,
    Am looking for some freelance writing work and just got accepted by Demand Studios and was disappointed that there was no work available, so am exploring other legitimate options and reading this thread it looks like I should try Textbroker and Writer Access.
    Being a newcomer at this it looks like I should be registered with several to get any kind of steady work. I welcome any opinions or info about other legitimate sites to find work.
    Thanks!

Patricia, when you first start out you’ll have to try a few different options until you find one that works for you.

Check out some of the sites listed under the Opportunities menu above and also check out the Database.

5. April says:

Yea, I was originally on the writer side, but never bothered writing much there. I make much more on the other sites where I get work. So, last month I decided to outsource some work through them. Needless to say,I was disappointed, primarily with the quality. I placed them at level 4, and I even had a 5 complete one. Of the $90 worth of work, only about half were usable (and I even had to make tweaks to those). I closed my account, and they did send back the money I still had in my account. As for contacting them, you don’t get a message in your email. You have to log back in, go to the contact area, and look under your ticket. It would be nice if they let you know at least when you get a reply. I did try contacting them through regular email and never got a response. Apparently, the contact button is the best way to reach them and get a reply. Anyway, I have been disappointed with them on both an author and a client level. One thing I have realized about these kind of sites is that, in reality, anyone can open one up. They may or may not actually be qualified to judge the quality of writing. The people behind the scenes running the show may be professional writers, or they may just be kids right out of high school who got C’s in English. I don’t mean to imply that about WA, just that the thought crossed my mind that absolutely ANYBODY can start up one of these sites.

Julia, have you tried Textbroker or Constant Content for outsourcing? Constant Content is more expensive, but they place strict standards on their writers and will not let mistakes through (though an occasional one does slip through). I have never ordered work through them, I jusr write for them. The layout at Textbroker is a lot like WA (just much better.) In fact, I think WA’s original intent was to copy TB. You still take your chances with quality at TB, but it is cheaper than WA and the quality is generally better (in my experience). I am a level 5 at TB and have also outsourced much work through them. Once you find a writer you like, you can send DOs to them.

• Emily says:

April, Thank you for this info. I am looking for a writer and found WA. Then found this terrific post from Felicia as part of my research. Of course, I’m reading the comments and this one is particularly helpful. I’ve never even heard of sites like Textbroker and Constant Content. I trust your judgement since you clearly post comments regularly on this site. I’ll be checking out those options. Cheers!

• April says:

Thanks Emily! Don’t get me wrong. I am sure there are some good writers at WA. I just had some bad experiences with them. You can run into the same thing at Textbroker too, I just have personally had much more luck with them. It really is just a matter of finding a particular writer who you like. Since I do the majority of my own writing, I only outsource on occasion, but I have managed to find a couple of writers whom I go to regularly when I do have extra work. Just look into all of your options. You may even place a couple of orders at different places (including WA) to see what you get and find a writer you like. Good luck!

6. Julia Frank says:

Well, I’m on the client side of WA and so far I don’t like it. The time tracking seems to stop after one day so you have no idea what’s going on with your projects. I have to emails into support with no reply. Yep, I don’t think I’ll be using the service anymore.

It seemed like the answer to all my dreams. I’m swamped with work for my film projects and can’t do the press releases and bios and what not and a site like WA was just what I needed… but not if my projects get lost in the abyss.

7. April says:

Ok…so they demoted me back to a 3 even though I haven’t done any orders since they promoted me to a 4! No new ratings from clients or anything either…so I am a bit confused by that.

8. April says:

Thanks! I just thought it was odd that it only reaches halfway across the page! Not seeing many orders at all. I was hoping it would be better at a level 4 (sigh).

9. Leigh says:

That line is just part of the design. It looks the same to all of us.

10. Grandma says:

Hmmm never thought about it. Thought it was just a design feature. I will keep looking. I have 104 articles there so far since Oct and that line is about half way across the page. It’s probably just a design line.

11. April says:

Writer Access bumped me up to a 4! I only did 11 articles for them, but I may actually start writing some there now. Now if they would just get more clients! 🙂

By the way, does anyone know what the purple line at the bottom of the page on WA represents? Mine goes halfway across the page and stops. Is it some way they measure the amount of articles you do? Just curious! :0

12. April says:

OOps…sorry Felicia! Getting my threads mixed up! I think I had computer brain when I wrote this!

13. April says:

oops…sorry Felicia…just saw you removed all those comments about that! 🙂

14. April says:

I haven’t done anything else with WA after 10 orders. they still have me at a 3, so not much available to do. Besides, I can make more at TB and wiseGEEK. I did go over and look. I am not seeing any orders. Maybe they have fixed it now so that you can’t see any orders above your level. I know I could before… Anyway…:-)

I am a little concerned that we may be seeing an end to level 5 orders at TB. It doesn’t really make much sense for clients to pay 5 cents per word now that they have the proofreading service. I am kind of wondering what TB is up to. Perhaps they are planning to do away with level 5 and raise the price on 4s a bit? I am glad I founf wiseGEEK when I did. It is looking as though they may become my new favorite place to write! 🙂

Oh…and to that “client” that was looking for a spinner…only serious authors here. Don’t bother looking for someone to plageurize articles for you among this group! Granted, everybody has to make money, but we choose to do it the legal and ethical way! 🙂

15. Leigh says:

You’re right, if I were downgraded I wouldn’t love them as much either!

I haven’t done a clothing one yet, I had two in my queue but something came up and I had to release them. I have heard from many who have done them though, and they all agree that once you do one, the rest come with ease. All yo have to do is write descriptions of varying lengths. So you start with a small description, then add to it, then add to that, and so on.

I seem to always be rated for what the assignment was for. For example, I did a 3 and my rating was a 3. So far all my 5s were rated 5s though, even though there were some rewrites.

• sillycat says:

I’m seeing something similar. The only times I haven’t received a 5 was when the client rated me at the level of the article. I suspect that if we saw the client’s template, we would see that it’s easy for the client to misinterpret and think that the best they can rate a writer is at the level of assignment they asked for — so if they designate that they want a level 3 writer, you’re going to get a 3 at best, even if you did an outstanding job and are a level 4 or 5 writer. Part of the reason I think this is because the same people who rate me lower than a 5 also add me to their love list and sometimes give me a bonus. Because of that I won’t take a level 2 assignment, and I’d rather not take a level 3.

16. Grandma says:

Leigh, have you been doing those clothing articles? I have not tackled one yet, because the instructions are daunting to say the least. Not sure I even know what they want to see.

What I really hate is the client ratings. They almost always rate you below level. Again, no clue why. My work isn’t any different there than anywhere else. Have you run into that? I don’t want to be downgraded; it was hard to get the 4 to begin with. If downgraded, I probably would not even take any.

17. Leigh says:

I told you I love WA! 🙂

18. Grandma says:

WA is surprising me this month, as I am over $300 so far. Not sure what happened, but happy with it. The only other two months I had pay here were each about $65 and that was split by a month with zero.

Still new to this one.

19. Rebecca says:

Hi Leigh- On TB the client feedback is broken into 4 categories with optional comments after you have written and they have accepted the article. I guess that’s the kind of thing I am used to. On WA all you can see is a level rating after the article is finished. That just leaves me a little in the dark about specifics. I guess it really does just relate to what I’m used to on TB.

20. Leigh says:

What do you mean by “see client feedback?” Do you mean if they want to tell you how they liked your article or what was wrong with it? Because you can always communicate with them before you write the article, and if they want revisions they can tell you why.

21. Rebecca says:

I wrote to WA and asked if there is a place where writers can see client feedback- necessary if you are going to improve and continue to please clients. It’s been days and I have heard nothing back from them. It seems to be a rather odd site, almost secretive, I guess, when you compare it to Textbroker where client feedback is quite easy to see. I’ve done 8 articles for WA now, but it takes almost constant checking throughout the day to find articles to write. I certainly do like their rate of pay for the 3s and 4s when compared to TB though!

22. Grandma says:

Hi April…I am a 4 at WA. I had to send them my TB stats to get it right off the bat. The WA level 4s pay almost as much as the TB 5s, so that isn’t too bad, and the 2 and 3 levels are much better than TB pays. The 5s are about the same or maybe less…I don’t remember since I am not doing those anyways. I am not sure who the clients are; I think many articles are for the WA internal use on their tips website. It is only another option in my book, and not fabulous. I did not write anything there in October. Sept was decent for a late start, and I just did one here in Nov. Just another option but not something to build a needed income on, IMO. As soon as I move again in about a month, I will need to get very serious about drumming up more online income.

23. April says:

Well, I have managed to do 4 for WA so far. One of the problems is that there are very few available at 3…and when there are, they aren’t usually anything interesting. I completed one this morning at a level 3 that the client rated me at a level 5…wish that could raise me to a 4 at least! I have seen quite a few interesting ones pop up at level 5. Grandma, are you a 4 or 5 at WA? Hopefully the site will get better as time goes by. I almost feel like I am wasting my time writing at a level 3 when I am a 5 on TB, but guess I will give it time and see if I can get raised after completing more orders. Still not sure about WA…guess we’ll just have to give it time.

24. Grandma says:

The only problem with all their notifications about available articles, even to just those on love lists, is they arrive too late and the articles are already gone. I just keep checking every so often and get one when some are available.

25. Leigh says:

Yes, if a client seeks revisions you will get an “Assignement Rejected” notice, which always makes my blood rise. But if you then log in, you will see a reason why and the client can ask for a revision.

Also, at the bottom of each assignment is a place to write a note. This is where you can ask the client a question even before starting to write. There just needs to be at least one character in the title and the body of the article.

I would love to know who’s love list I am on. If you are on a love list, you’ll get a “Love List Items Posted” email when they have posted items. I’m going to ask WA if there is a way to see whose love lists we are on.

26. Grandma says:

Yeah, what I do not like about WA is that when an article is rated by the client, there is no explanation. If they mark it lower than desired rank, it would be nice to know what they did not like, for future reference. It might be nice also to know who the client is, as is possible with TB. Does anyone else know how to find out who put a writer on a love list? Is there an option for client to ask for a revision with instructions? I am guessing probably not, since there seems to be no identification of clients. I prefer TB even more now.

27. Rebecca says:

That’s really awesome- I’ve been frustrated at TB only being able to pick one up at a time. Looking forward to hitting 10 at WA! Thanks!

28. Leigh says:

PS….WA did an update so that once you have 10 accepted articles, you can accept 3 at a time now rather than just 1. Yay. I’ve already taken advantage of that.

29. Leigh says:

Yes, you should be set up so that on any given day you can write for 3 or 4 or 5 different companies.

30. Rebecca says:

I decided to give WA a try as sometimes I am concerned about just writing for Textbroker- what if they go under, don’t have enough work, etc etc. I have finally gotten to a level 5 on TB after four months of writing with them, quite happy, but disappointed that there are so few level 5 jobs. So, the application process at WA is complex, and I was quite relieved to have been accepted at a level 4. But, there really are no jobs at WA. I’ve picked up 2, and yes, the pay is better than TB but that doesn’t really matter if there is no work. I’m hoping their workload increases- it was worth the time it took to fill out the application, but the skimpy number of jobs is worrisome.

Rebecca, that’s why it’s so important to diversify. Apply at several other online writing sites so that if WA and Textbroker are bare, you have other options.

31. Renee says:

I have found myself somewhat frustrated with WA because of the lack of articles. I have written one article that was quickly accepted, but nothing since then. The lack of articles could be the result of being rated at a level three. Each time I log in, I see level 2 articles that are not worth writing, or a message that states they are out of work. The part that really eats me up is the email I get in the morning telling me how many articles they added the day before. How is that helpful? Lol. I would much rather and email when they first add articles, so I can quickly log in and start working.

Anyways, I’m glad some are having great experiences with WA. I am still waiting on mine.

32. larkspur says:

I like this site and I was really excited about them at first. But since I first signed up, I’ve only had a handful of jobs. I think part of the problem is that the job posting notification comes AFTER they post them and by the time I log in, they are all gone. Not sure why, but that email always comes to me in the middle of the night.

I did manage to snag a blog article today, so that was good. Hopefully I get on some “love lists” soon!

Thanks Leigh and Grandma for the quick response. It’s nice to have real people confirm that WA is legitimate.

34. Grandma says:

Oh I was paid in a timely manner, on October 7th for September writing that was approved. Also, they have answered any emails promptly. I am satisifed with them, but would hope they get more work for us.

35. Leigh says:

I have actually been paid from WA! I’ve actually been paid by their parent company too…they hired me from my WA application to write for one of their clients and I was assigned over $300 in work for that this month in press releases, articles, and blog posts. I lucked out!

I am on someone’s love list on WA so I’ve had consistent work there too for the past week.

I haven’t signed on with WA yet – truthfully, I forgot about it. I think I’ll hold off until some of my trusted co-commenters here at NJFM report actually being paid and then give it some thought. So please keep us posted, everyone!

37. April says:

yes…my budget can’t take it too well either! I wish the level 5 client at TB would make a reappearance soon! 🙂 I keep a tab open for WA and check on availability of articles once in a while. I noticed that I never receive notification of orders until the next day! I actually have yet to write the first thing there! I noticed 3 or 4 at level 5 yesterday…all of which I would have loved to have got my hands on! 🙂 I haven’t done much at TB this month either. Trying to keep busy with a couple of clients at CC though! 🙂

38. Grandma says:

Nope. Did about $63 last month, nothing this month. By the time we get an email that there are orders up, most are gone. A little disappointing, but maybe they will improve over time. Haven’t had much at TB either…that I wanted to write. It’s a choice. I look at it as a very much needed time off for me after working hard. The only problem is my budget can’t afford time off.

39. April says:

Anybody having much luck at WA? They did finally set my ranking at a 3…which I fully expected since I don’t have a blog or website (that seems to be the criteria for starting at a higher level). I intended to hopefully work my way to a 4 by accepting some orders, but there never seem to be any at a 3! Unlike Textbroker, you are still able to view articles at levels above you. There are currently 2 at level 5 that I would love to write…one of them I know I could complete with little to no research time involved! Just aggravating! I wish they would get some orders soon!

40. April says:

still awaiting evaluation on my application…submitted Friday night. I sent an email this afternoon.

41. Leigh says:

Just heard from another writer that she was paid on the 9th last month.

42. Leigh says:

From another forum: “If he managed to request the transfer on Friday (which was the 1st), today is the fourth day. In that case, it could be today, but more likely would be tomorrow.”

43. Leigh says:

This month will be my first payment from them 🙂 I was just contacted by someone at IdeaLaunch, their parent company, asking me for my mailing address so they could send me a check for the work I did for them (they pulled me from the WriterAccess pool for it).

I read something on another forum about how the money is put into Paypal to pay us, then they wait three days, then send it?? Not sure if I’m missing something there, but payment should have probably gone out yesterday. I’ll ask around.

44. Grandma says:

Hey Leigh…what day did they pay you on last month? Their website indicated “first of month” but did not specify the date as the 1st. I figure by the 8th we should have something.

Also on the three day automatic approval…not happening for two of mine yet, even though I emailed them…but maybe they are out for a couple days. Not worried. TB pays on schedule, always.

45. larkspur says:

I haven’t been paid for last month either, but since they don’t really give a specific date of payment, I am not too worried. I have confidence…they seem like they know what they are doing! 🙂

46. Leigh says:

I haven’t been paid yet for last month, but I know people who have never had a problem getting paid by them and have worked for them for months.

47. April says:

I applied to WA Friday night. Still waiting on evaluation. I understand no one is in the office on weekends…the 48 hours they say I should hear something in then will be up tonight. Apparently, you can go ahead and start writing at a level 2 before they evaluate you. I have seen a couple of “tips” articles, but haven’t written anything as of yet. One thing that concerns me is that they state that payments will be made at the first of the month…as the balance is available??? Has anyone been paid by this site…and are they fairly consistent with payments?

48. Tashana says:

Thanks Felicia. That’s great advice.

49. larkspur says:

Yes, originally I was really excited about this site but I haven’t written anything for them in the past week. I did those four articles right off the bat, then a tip…but now I just can’t bring myself to work on any more tips. The $2 doesn’t seems worth it. Hopefully they bring back some higher paying requests soon! I am still interested to see when they pay – it should be next week.

50. HealthyOpal says:

Whoops the html list code did not work in the comments, just pretend there is a comma after each step. 😉

51. HealthyOpal says:

Hey Felicia,

I saw your comment about getting tough weeding through the comments. You can fix that by setting up “threaded comments”. It makes the reply to comment aspect a lot neater since your reply will fall directly under the poster who is asking the question.

You can get a WordPress addon, or you can use the addon built into WordPress. For the built in addon log into WordPress Admin Panel SettingsDiscussionsOther Comment Settings Enable Threaded Comments

With my personal blog I use an addon, since I like the threading better than the default WordPress Plug-in, it’s called WP-Threaded comments http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-thread-comment/

With another I use the default since WP Thread disagrees with my WP Theme.

52. Renee says:

While I too wish they have more article titles to write for, I am not quite prepared to write them off. Like Felicia said, WA is a great tool to have (among many) in the arsenal. I will keep and eye on them from time to time. I may be able to pick up some good extra money. Still looking for a good residual site besides Suite 101… I guess I am not Suite material.

53. Leigh says:

But they are only a year old, so I’m still quite hopeful. They are very easy to write for. You can’t write them off yet for being low in titles because who knows where they might be in a few months or a year from now!

54. Grandma says:

Actually, they upgraded me to a 4 right away, but so far only one of those available and grabbed for me. Lots of 2s, no 3s, but that doesn’t matter because they pay so much better than TB 2s. Had a $100 article done and approved over at TB, so that was a nice big one. Have to make lots of money this month so I can move again from Michigan to Colorado to live. Going to stay put there. Having a ball here, but it is only temporary situation. Too bad. On the other hand, I get nice fall here, and nice fall there…and better weather, sunshine.

55. Prerna says:

Thanks for sharing this Felicia.. Hopefully, they’ll open up to non US writers soon..
    Warmly,
    Prerna

56. Tashana says:

Well, after 72 hours, my LifeTip on Writersaccess.com was approved for a whole $2.61. I wonder how common it is for these smaller articles to go unrevised? I guess I’ll keep writing and find out.

The biggest miss for me is assignments do not seem to be available very often so I wonder if putting to much stock in is worth it.

Again, we shall see.

Tashana

Tashana, take advantage of the titles when they’re available. When they’re not, you can spend time adding more content on Examiner or elsewhere. Think of Writer Access as a tool in your freelance writing arsenal, not the tool in your arsenal.

57. Grandma says:

Seems strange that everyone is seeing different numbers and types of articles. When I got going last night, there were about 80 articles up for writing. Did 11 so far and reached my normal daily goal very quickly. Nice option to have as there was nothing I chose to do on elsewhere. Time will tell, but this seems to be promising.

The pay for 2 and 3 level articles is much better than TB, but the 5 levels actually pay a little bit less than a TB 5. I certainly will continue to look to Textbroker as my mainstay opportunity.

Grandma, you have the best of both worlds. 5 on TB and the ability to write the 2’s and 3’s on WA. You’re right, though. They don’t seem to have a lot of titles available, at least not as many as Textbroker.

58. Tashana says:

Well, I just got accepted to this site so we’ll see how it goes. I noticed that there aren’t very many articles of personal interest so I guess I’ll have to dig into my little writer’s research bag and pull out some goodies.

I’ll let you know what happens.

Thanks Felicia

59. Rene says:

My application finally got accepted at WA (and there are no articles available). I was rated a level 3. This was slightly disappointing since I’m a 4 at TB, but it makes sense after looking at their rating guidelines. A level 3 at WA still earns more per word than a level 4 at TB. It seems like WA is a good break between TB jobs, because they certainly lack work volume and I’m not sure how much a person can really make there. (Sorry if I have typos in this post, I’m commenting from me cell)

60. blackpup says:

BTW Felicia, your website NJFM is wonderful. I found it totally by accident by doing a Google search and I am so glad I did. I started skimming through your e-book also about tips for freelance beginners. Wow, you really put yourself out. Thanks so much for all you do.

61. blackpup says:

I just checked, and I’m still a level 2 with no response back. I wrote them again under the help bar instead of email. Maybe the email is only computer generated. I don’t know. I feel like there is not much information on the Writer Access site, and when I just checked they only had 3 articles available, a 2, a 4 and a 5.

62. Leigh says:

PS To get on the love list that I got on, I wrote some quick 50 word level 2s. So just go for it and write what you can to get started.

63. Leigh says:

Once you get on someone’s “love list” you’ll see more articles. In order to get on a love list, you just have to start writing!! There are a few pages of articles up right now, level 4, that I see because I’m on a love list. I wrote two of them, they were EXTREMELY easy, and they were both accepted and rated a 4 in 3 days. I’ll have to wait until next month to see if I get paid.

And yes they are a new site, they started at the end of 2009 I believe in BETA.

I think they took the video down, as no one that I know of can find it 🙂

64. blackpup says:

I also got a level 2 rating at WriterAccess. I also took Larkspur’s suggestion and emailed them to see if I can get bumped up.

Has anyone gotten paid by WriterAccess? They don’t seem to have many articles. I wonder if they are a new site?

Where is the tutorial video? My welcome emails stated to view the tutorial video, but I can’t find it on their site.

65. Krista says:

Hi Felicia

This is great information! I also like constant-content as well.

66. larkspur says:

Thanks! I am going to submit a few articles and see what kind of response I receive. I am excited about this new opportunity. I like copy editing at DS but writing the articles takes me a really long time. I like the Textbroker format but the pay is so minimal. This seems like a nice in-between site.

67. Renee says:

Thanks for doing the review on this new writing opportunity. I am certainly going to apply today. I hope that I am rated as a level 4, although a 5 would be better, lol.

I don’t want to hijack this post and get off subject, but I am looking for new writing opportunities and considering selling “Private Label Rights” articles. Felicia, you seem to be the online writing guru. Do you have any information about this, or maybe can point me in the right direction? Many thanks for the review, it definitely helped me to make up my mind. Leigh, thank you as well for bringing it to our attention.

Renee,

I’m no expert on PLR articles, but you could try Constant Content (that’s a referral link). Although I’ve not had much experience with them (only posted one article), there are folks who have been very successful selling articles through them.

Grandma also sells her own articles, you could check out her site, http://www.textarticlesale.com . I’m sure she’ll be able to give you some pointers.

If anyone else has any advice to offer Renee, please feel free to jump in.

68. Leigh says:

Wow, congrats Larkspur on the move up to 4!

Felicia, I did the exact same thing, I used an article I wrote for PawNation.com (through Seed.com) explaining that it was already published online.

69. Leigh says:

Wow! I was going to suggest emailing them so I’m glad you did. When I first joined last week there were many level 2 articles available. Right now I only see Level 4 stuff available.

I never saw the description of their writing levels…will go check that out.

Did you fill out all the “number of paid jobs” questions in full? Those went on forever!

70. larkspur says:

OK, I just heard back from WriterAccess – they did move me up to a 4, so at least we know they are flexible and easy to work with!

A HUGE congrats to you Larkspur!!

As I say to my kids, if you don’t like something, do what you can to change it. You didn’t like your rating and you did what was necessary to change it. Good for you.

I guess its time for you to get writing… 🙂

71. larkspur says:

Maybe I spoke too soon….they already responded and said they moved me to a level 4. So I guess if you feel your rating is not accurate, you can email them and they will work with you. That is a good sign!

72. larkspur says:

I posted this on the Textbroker thread, but I feel like it should be on this one also.

I just received a confirmation from WriterAccess and they rated me at a level 2. I went on their site and there aren’t even any level 2 assignments available! I don’t really understand their rating system. I work full-time as a writer and I have two English degrees. I am a level 4 at Textbroker, a copy editor and writer at Demand Studios, and have years of writing experience.

According to their description, a level 2 is:

Rating 2 – You meet the minimum requirement of our freelance writers. You have submitted a satisfactory writing sample that exhibits a basic understanding of the written word; your resume, if you submitted one, does not show any previous writing experience. You did not submit a writing portfolio, website or blog, and you do not exhibit SEO or social media competency. New writers or professionals in other fields looking to branch out are frequent recipients of this rating. Nevertheless, level-2 writers are valued resources that fill an important role at WriterAccess.

Not sure about this site. I did email them so we’ll see how they respond.

Wow, Larkspur,

I don’t know what to say. It’s interesting that your comment and Leigh’s comment came through at about the same time. Her comment was similar to mine on the resume where she submitted a resume of her actual jobs, not a writer’s resume.

The only thing I can say is going forward, maybe you should write a few articles for sites like Associated Content or HubPages just so that you have an online sample that shows your expertise in SEO and writing.

I used one of my existing Suite 101 articles as a sample, explaining that it is already published and available online. Writing for Textbroker is great, but it doesn’t allow you to build a writing portfolio.

When I applied for Suite so many years ago, I used an article that I wrote for my own site as a sample. I was very new to online writing and didn’t have a portfolio, but I did have at least 3 articles on line and I used those three articles as samples for each site I applied for.

Maybe once you have a few articles online, you can go back to them to have them amend your rating?

P.S. – Thanks for posting your comment here instead of on the Textbroker thread. It’s getting a bit confusing over there. I’m open to suggestions from folks on how to make that thread easier to get through.

73. larkspur says:

Well, I heard back from WriterAccess and they rated me at a level 2. I went on their site and there aren’t even any level 2 assignments available! I don’t really understand their rating system. I work full-time as a writer and I have two English degrees. I am a level 4 at Textbroker, a copy editor and writer at Demand Studios, and have years of writing experience.

According to their description, a level 2 is:

Not sure about this site. I did email them so we’ll see how they respond.

74. Leigh says:

Regarding resumes, I never make them writer-centric, and I’ve been accepted my first try at everywhere I’ve applied (TB, Demand, Suite, WriterAccess).

I give them my real resume, with all my jobs on it, tweaked to what experience I want to highlight. If I want to write on pet topics, I highlight my former part-time job at the humane society, even though I have a degree in Communications and most of my jobs have been in the entertainment industry. Regardless, I know that if I position myself as someone who knows about pets, at most places once I’m in I can write on other topics, as well.

If you look at this post at the Demand Studios blog, in which they outline tips to applying at DemandStudios, http://www.demandstudios.com/blog/tips-applying-demand-studios you’ll see that they don’t just want generic writers to churn out articles on any subject. They want people with real life niche experience, who they can trust to deliver accurate information.

75. Edward G Gordon says:

I have to say that it really is a pain for non-US citizens like myself to find ourselves blocked by so many of these sites. It must be an accounting issue unless they feel that non US writers are not in touch with the local scene. I have seen the same issue crop up on Guru. Anyway thanks for putting that info up front. It will save me time, lol.

76. Leigh says:

Thank you for the mention!! I’m thrilled with writeraccess. If you look at their parent company, http://www.idealaunch.com, they are already an e-marketing firm with big clients like VistaPrint and Verizon.

The IdeaLaunch staff can pull from the writeraccess pool when they need writers for their clients, as I learned when one of their content managers invited me to write blog posts for one. I was given access to IdeaLaunch to submit my work directly for the client. The pay is great and as of right now I’m very optimistic. Unfortunately, I cannot comment on timeliness of pay yet.

When I first saw the assignments on writeraccess, there were many short, 50 word jobs. I wrote two of them for about $1 each. A few days later, they were accepted and I was placed on a “Love List.” I got an email saying there were jobs that I had access to because I was favorited by someone (put on their Love List). This means that not everyone has access to those jobs, so there is less of a race. I have since written two of those jobs ($15.00 for 400 words), and am awaiting their acceptance.

Thanks for the additional info, Leigh. It sounds like its a winner.

Edward, I feel for you. I believe it’s an accounting issue. You should check out Deanna’s blog. She recently did a post on a site for a site that accepts international writers. Deanna reviews quite a few sites (many that I have not reviewed). If you haven’t visited her already, you should stop by there and visit often.

77. Cynthia says:

Larkspur-the 2nd page asks for a summary, then the next question is regarding composition, which I had no idea what that was-but Felicia has me on the right track now with that. I just didn’t know if the application process would continue on to another continuing page. Thank you for your info on that.

Felicia-Got it now. As per usual, you are a wealth of knowledge. I’m the google queen but couldn’t find out what the composition question meant. Although I felt dumb asking about it, I learned a long time ago to go ahead and ask (and appear foolish), rather than doing it wrong (and proving I am foolish) lol. Thanks again sweeties! And, a huge shout out to April! Hope you are rocking the writing world, my friend.

BTW, is anyone else experiencing what I am as far as the “Best of” sources delimma at BS?

CJ

78. Tiffany says:

I have actually worked with Writers Access which I believe is associated with Life Tips as well. This was back in 12/09 so I’m not sure if things have changed since then as they were just getting started back then I believe. I did one project and was paid promptly for it with no problems. I never completed another project as I stopped writing for clients in the beginning of this year to pursue my passive income goals. It sounds like the program has changed a bit since then as I remember then only having 2 or 3 projects up when I got did my writing project for them.

79. larkspur says:

Your resume is one of the final steps in the process. Are you talking about the writing sample? Or the question about the types of writing projects you have worked on?

80. larkspur says:

In addition to your resume, WriterAccess also asks you about your experience writing in different subject areas as well as how many paid assignments you have submitted in each area. This should definitely help you if you don’t have a specific writer position listed on your resume.

Thanks for clarification larkspur. I’ll go through the application process in the next few days to see if I can get a better feel. I don’t want to give incorrect advice. I also don’t want folks to let a resume stop them from applying for positions (especially when they have writing talent).

UPDATE:
      Curiosity got the best of me so I completed the Writers Access application.

It looks like there is an immediate approval because I received a password to access the site. I won’t know my level until they review the application.

My gut tells me that my resume lets them know my fields of expertise. As I look at the available topics, I see quite a few insurance and business articles which would be a good match. I also saw a few medical articles that would be a great match for someone with a medical background.

A writer’s resume would be nice, but a resume showing a level of expertise in certain areas might be better (again, this is all my opinion). We’ll see what happens.

81. Renee says:

That is a good tip Felicia. I am sure I can re-work my resume to highlight these areas. Blackpup, please let us know how things turn out. Blessings to everyone in their endeavors.

82. blackpup says:

That’s just the thing Felicia, I have had no past writing jobs. The only writing job I have had is TB, and I have only been with them since May.

I did apply to Writer Access and they did give me a user name and password, I am waiting for them to declare a level for me. So I am assuming I got in, but am not sure.

Once before I was asked this same question by a woman who was a stay at home mom and never had a job before. I asked her if she had ever written a doctor’s note, note to the teacher, letter to a credit card company, a letter to Aunt Mary, etc. I think we have to get past the “obstacle” of not ever having a previous writing “job” and get creative in describing our writing tasks.

Although she had no formal job, she was able to list her administrative tasks that required clear and concise writing skills. She was self-employed (although her payment was not monetary) and creative. She put together a resume and got the gig.

This brings to mind a question. Does Writer Access ask for a “Writer’s Resume” or are they just asking for a resume? Maybe they want to make sure that you graduated from high school and have had work experience. Maybe they want to see if you have experience in an area that matches their client requests. Not every writer has formal writing experience. They have to start somewhere. Is it possible that you’re over thinking the resume?

If you already have a username and password, it sounds to me that they want a resume as a matter of formality (something to refer to if they have to). Just my opinion.

83. Renee says:

I would really like information about that resume question as well. It seems as though you are penalized for not writing for a certain amount of time, regardless of how good your writing sample may be. That seems a little bit unfair. I have years of accounting and finance experience, but not much work experience in the writing field. Maybe I am looking at this the wrong way. Any insight anyone? Also, do most writers have an online portfolio. It seems as if it can be beneficial but I am not sure.

84. blackpup says:

I have a question, when you sign up for Demand or WriterAccess and they have a place where you put in your resume, what should I put in there as I have only written for TextBroker and have never written anything where I have a by-line.

I have a resume, but it contains insurance and medical work I have done, since that is my field. Nothing about writing.

Thanks.

Can you re-work your resume to beef up the writing aspect of your past jobs? When I put together my first writing resume, I downplayed all of the insurance intricacies but beefed up the writing aspect of the job, i.e., business writing, proposals, letters, etc.

85. larkspur says:

Thanks for the info! I applied today so hopefully I hear something back soon. It’s always nice to have options!

86. Renee says:

So, looking further into Writer Access it seems to be a TB replica with a couple of tweaks… more money per article and a monthly pay out. It looks like it is worth looking into. Their level 4 writers make 3.57 cents per word. If my math is correct, that adds up to $17.85 for 500 words. Not bad at all. It seems in order to be rated higher, you need a website/portfolio and years of experience. I am a little concerned about this, but if this site is legit it may give TB some competition.

87. Renee says:

writeraccess.com huh?? I’ve never heard of them but I will certainly look into it. I need some more options other than TB.

88. Leigh says:

Yes my bad, it is writeraccess.com, writer not writers 🙂

89. larkspur says:

I tried to check out the writersaccess site but nothing came up. Is that the correct address? Thanks!

90. Leigh says:

If you need motivation, try writersaccess.com. I was rated a 5 there within a day of applying AND was offered a good-paying steady gig for a client of the parent company within an hour as well!!! I’m loving it right now! And they pay better than TB!