If you really want to learn the ins and outs of WordPress, this book is a must read. Lisa Irby, owner of 2CreateAWebsite, has been developing and profiting from building websites for many years. This Ultimate WP Starter Guide provides everything you need to know to build a website using WordPress.

Writer Access: Another Online Writing Site

I’d like to thank Larkspur (oops, my bad) Leigh, a frequent contributor to our Textbroker thread, for sharing this writing opportunity. It sounded like it might be a legitimate place for writers so , I’d like to share it with the folks who don’t always read the Textbroker thread (I don’t blame you, it’s very, very long – I’ve got to figure out how to make it more manageable).

WriterAccess.com is similar to Textbroker in that their job is to bring clients and writers together. You must apply on their site, provide a writing sample and a resume. There has been a bit of banter back and forth as to whether the resume must be a “Writer’s Resume” or a resume belonging to a person whose field of expertise is other than writing but has the ability to write about it.

Basic Info About Writer Access

According to the Who Is information, Writeraccess.com first registered its domain name in June of 2008. The registrant, administrative contact and billing contact all point to Byron White at LifeTips.com. I think some of you are familiar with LifeTips.

The site has a page rank of 3 and an Alexa rating of 232,903. Actually, I don’t think the page rank and Alexa ranking means so much with a site like this. What I’m more concerned about is their reputation and the ability to pay on time. Seeing the Better Business Bureau membership logo and having their application hosted on a secure server are two steps in the right direction.

The Application Process Writer Access

Currently Writer Access is only available to US writers with PayPal accounts (you must complete a W-9 form). This may change, but only time will tell.

If you are a US writer with a PayPal account, visit the Writer Access Free Writer Application page and fill in the necessary information. They ask basic information about your areas of interest, both professionally and personally. You also have to provide an overview of why you wish to write for them.

There is a section of the application where they provide a listing of writing interest/expertise. If you select one, they ask how many paid assignment you have completed in that field of interest. I conveniently bypassed the entire list and went to the next page.

Writer Access asks for a sample (they won’t publish the sample) and they want a resume. You can upload or type your resume in the box provided.

Once you complete the application you are immediately sent a confirmation email and a password to enter the site.

Roaming Around the Writer Access Site

I’ve only spent a few minutes roaming around the site, but the user interface appears to be clean and intuitive. When I logged on I saw over 100 assignments for Level 4 writers. The titles ranged in topics from calculators to insurance. The word count ranged from 375 to 400 words and the rate of pay was $14.56. That’s not bad considering that Demand Studios pays $15 for up to 500 words in their ‘How to’ format.

In reviewing their FAQ, after submitting an assignment, the client has 72 hours to accept or ask for changes. If they don’t respond within 72 hours, the assignment is automatically accepted. And, as with Textbroker, once the client accepts and pays for the assignment, you no longer hold the copyright for it.

Article Pay Rate

The minimum rate of pay according to their website is as follows:

Level 2 earns 0.91 cents per word
Level 3 earns 2.03 cents per word
Level 4 earns 3.57 cents per word
Level 5 earns 4.76 cents per word

Apparently clients can add a bonus to the payment prices if they wish.

Payment is made via PayPal the first week of the month after your balance has reached $10.

This seems like a nice opportunity and a change of pace for folks who usually write for Textbroker. I don’t know if they have as many assignments as Textbroker has, but between the two, you should be able to make a few bucks.

If you have tested the Writer Access waters, please share your experience.

Oops!  My Bad. Although Larkspur provided a lot of helpful information on the Writer Access thread, it was actually Leigh who brought it to our attention.  Sorry Leigh (BTW- Leigh has some good stuff on her blog…you should pay her a visit).

NOTE: If the first few comments below seem out of order its because they were originally posted on the Textbroker thread.  I thought it would be better to move them here since the posts discuss Writer Access.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Bookmark and Share

Filed Under: LegitimateOpportunitiesWriter Access

About the Author: Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she's not writing or commenting on NJFM, she's either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites which include Tidbits and Stuff, BLULOW, A Dose of Health and a few other sites/blogs scattered around the internet.

RSSComments (110)

Leave a Reply | Trackback URL

1. Lisa Brown says:

Writers2connect.com is fairly good site, you can select how much you want per article, looks like they have much more work as their prices are low compared to other competitors, thus we also have to charge less so they remain comparative.

Overall a good experience working with them

Lisa

2. Lisa Brown says:

Hi,

Just found a new site called writers2connect.com here it’s simple no levels you just have to qualify by doing a test and you get started, it alo offers content in 25 languages which is good if you do multilingual projects.

Lisa

3. April says:

Patricia,

Welcome to the world of freelancing! Writer Access is ok, but they don’t have much work. I am looking for Demand to make another big change soon…they are known for throwing writers for a loop…(I personally don’t put much stock in them). Textbroker is where I started out, and I definitely suggest them as a great place for new Internet writers to get their feet wet. Felicia has some great sites listed in the database, and you will discover more along the way. Good luck!

4. Patricia says:

Hi,
    Am looking for some freelance writing work and just got accepted by Demand Studios and was disappointed that there was no work available, so am exploring other legitimate options and reading this thread it looks like I should try Textbroker and Writer Access.
    Being a newcomer at this it looks like I should be registered with several to get any kind of steady work. I welcome any opinions or info about other legitimate sites to find work.
    Thanks!

Patricia, when you first start out you’ll have to try a few different options until you find one that works for you.

Check out some of the sites listed under the Opportunities menu above and also check out the Database.

5. April says:

Yea, I was originally on the writer side, but never bothered writing much there. I make much more on the other sites where I get work. So, last month I decided to outsource some work through them. Needless to say,I was disappointed, primarily with the quality. I placed them at level 4, and I even had a 5 complete one. Of the $90 worth of work, only about half were usable (and I even had to make tweaks to those). I closed my account, and they did send back the money I still had in my account. As for contacting them, you don’t get a message in your email. You have to log back in, go to the contact area, and look under your ticket. It would be nice if they let you know at least when you get a reply. I did try contacting them through regular email and never got a response. Apparently, the contact button is the best way to reach them and get a reply. Anyway, I have been disappointed with them on both an author and a client level. One thing I have realized about these kind of sites is that, in reality, anyone can open one up. They may or may not actually be qualified to judge the quality of writing. The people behind the scenes running the show may be professional writers, or they may just be kids right out of high school who got C’s in English. I don’t mean to imply that about WA, just that the thought crossed my mind that absolutely ANYBODY can start up one of these sites.

Julia, have you tried Textbroker or Constant Content for outsourcing? Constant Content is more expensive, but they place strict standards on their writers and will not let mistakes through (though an occasional one does slip through). I have never ordered work through them, I jusr write for them. The layout at Textbroker is a lot like WA (just much better.) In fact, I think WA’s original intent was to copy TB. You still take your chances with quality at TB, but it is cheaper than WA and the quality is generally better (in my experience). I am a level 5 at TB and have also outsourced much work through them. Once you find a writer you like, you can send DOs to them.

• Emily says:

April, Thank you for this info. I am looking for a writer and found WA. Then found this terrific post from Felicia as part of my research. Of course, I’m reading the comments and this one is particularly helpful. I’ve never even heard of sites like Textbroker and Constant Content. I trust your judgement since you clearly post comments regularly on this site. I’ll be checking out those options. Cheers!
      Emily recently posted..Columbus Skateparks

• April says:

Thanks Emily! Don’t get me wrong. I am sure there are some good writers at WA. I just had some bad experiences with them. You can run into the same thing at Textbroker too, I just have personally had much more luck with them. It really is just a matter of finding a particular writer who you like. Since I do the majority of my own writing, I only outsource on occasion, but I have managed to find a couple of writers whom I go to regularly when I do have extra work. Just look into all of your options. You may even place a couple of orders at different places (including WA) to see what you get and find a writer you like. Good luck!

6. Julia Frank says:

Well, I’m on the client side of WA and so far I don’t like it. The time tracking seems to stop after one day so you have no idea what’s going on with your projects. I have to emails into support with no reply. Yep, I don’t think I’ll be using the service anymore.

It seemed like the answer to all my dreams. I’m swamped with work for my film projects and can’t do the press releases and bios and what not and a site like WA was just what I needed… but not if my projects get lost in the abyss.

7. April says:

Ok…so they demoted me back to a 3 even though I haven’t done any orders since they promoted me to a 4! No new ratings from clients or anything either…so I am a bit confused by that.

8. April says:

Thanks! I just thought it was odd that it only reaches halfway across the page! Not seeing many orders at all. I was hoping it would be better at a level 4 (sigh).

9. Leigh says:

That line is just part of the design. It looks the same to all of us.
    Leigh recently posted..Updating WordPress Theme Versions

10. Grandma says:

Hmmm never thought about it. Thought it was just a design feature. I will keep looking. I have 104 articles there so far since Oct and that line is about half way across the page. It’s probably just a design line.

11. April says:

Writer Access bumped me up to a 4! I only did 11 articles for them, but I may actually start writing some there now. Now if they would just get more clients! :-)

By the way, does anyone know what the purple line at the bottom of the page on WA represents? Mine goes halfway across the page and stops. Is it some way they measure the amount of articles you do? Just curious! :0

12. April says:

OOps…sorry Felicia! Getting my threads mixed up! I think I had computer brain when I wrote this!

13. April says:

oops…sorry Felicia…just saw you removed all those comments about that! :-)

14. April says:

I haven’t done anything else with WA after 10 orders. they still have me at a 3, so not much available to do. Besides, I can make more at TB and wiseGEEK. I did go over and look. I am not seeing any orders. Maybe they have fixed it now so that you can’t see any orders above your level. I know I could before… Anyway…:-)

I am a little concerned that we may be seeing an end to level 5 orders at TB. It doesn’t really make much sense for clients to pay 5 cents per word now that they have the proofreading service. I am kind of wondering what TB is up to. Perhaps they are planning to do away with level 5 and raise the price on 4s a bit? I am glad I founf wiseGEEK when I did. It is looking as though they may become my new favorite place to write! :-)

Oh…and to that “client” that was looking for a spinner…only serious authors here. Don’t bother looking for someone to plageurize articles for you among this group! Granted, everybody has to make money, but we choose to do it the legal and ethical way! :-)

15. Leigh says:

You’re right, if I were downgraded I wouldn’t love them as much either!

I haven’t done a clothing one yet, I had two in my queue but something came up and I had to release them. I have heard from many who have done them though, and they all agree that once you do one, the rest come with ease. All yo have to do is write descriptions of varying lengths. So you start with a small description, then add to it, then add to that, and so on.

I seem to always be rated for what the assignment was for. For example, I did a 3 and my rating was a 3. So far all my 5s were rated 5s though, even though there were some rewrites.
    Leigh recently posted..Updating WordPress Theme Versions

• sillycat says:

I’m seeing something similar. The only times I haven’t received a 5 was when the client rated me at the level of the article. I suspect that if we saw the client’s template, we would see that it’s easy for the client to misinterpret and think that the best they can rate a writer is at the level of assignment they asked for — so if they designate that they want a level 3 writer, you’re going to get a 3 at best, even if you did an outstanding job and are a level 4 or 5 writer. Part of the reason I think this is because the same people who rate me lower than a 5 also add me to their love list and sometimes give me a bonus. Because of that I won’t take a level 2 assignment, and I’d rather not take a level 3.

16. Grandma says:

Leigh, have you been doing those clothing articles? I have not tackled one yet, because the instructions are daunting to say the least. Not sure I even know what they want to see.

What I really hate is the client ratings. They almost always rate you below level. Again, no clue why. My work isn’t any different there than anywhere else. Have you run into that? I don’t want to be downgraded; it was hard to get the 4 to begin with. If downgraded, I probably would not even take any.

17. Leigh says:

I told you I love WA! :-)
    Leigh recently posted..Updating WordPress Theme Versions

18. Grandma says:

WA is surprising me this month, as I am over $300 so far. Not sure what happened, but happy with it. The only other two months I had pay here were each about $65 and that was split by a month with zero.

Still new to this one.

19. Rebecca says:

Hi Leigh- On TB the client feedback is broken into 4 categories with optional comments after you have written and they have accepted the article. I guess that’s the kind of thing I am used to. On WA all you can see is a level rating after the article is finished. That just leaves me a little in the dark about specifics. I guess it really does just relate to what I’m used to on TB.

20. Leigh says:

What do you mean by “see client feedback?” Do you mean if they want to tell you how they liked your article or what was wrong with it? Because you can always communicate with them before you write the article, and if they want revisions they can tell you why.

21. Rebecca says:

I wrote to WA and asked if there is a place where writers can see client feedback- necessary if you are going to improve and continue to please clients. It’s been days and I have heard nothing back from them. It seems to be a rather odd site, almost secretive, I guess, when you compare it to Textbroker where client feedback is quite easy to see. I’ve done 8 articles for WA now, but it takes almost constant checking throughout the day to find articles to write. I certainly do like their rate of pay for the 3s and 4s when compared to TB though!

22. Grandma says:

Hi April…I am a 4 at WA. I had to send them my TB stats to get it right off the bat. The WA level 4s pay almost as much as the TB 5s, so that isn’t too bad, and the 2 and 3 levels are much better than TB pays. The 5s are about the same or maybe less…I don’t remember since I am not doing those anyways. I am not sure who the clients are; I think many articles are for the WA internal use on their tips website. It is only another option in my book, and not fabulous. I did not write anything there in October. Sept was decent for a late start, and I just did one here in Nov. Just another option but not something to build a needed income on, IMO. As soon as I move again in about a month, I will need to get very serious about drumming up more online income.

23. April says:

Well, I have managed to do 4 for WA so far. One of the problems is that there are very few available at 3…and when there are, they aren’t usually anything interesting. I completed one this morning at a level 3 that the client rated me at a level 5…wish that could raise me to a 4 at least! I have seen quite a few interesting ones pop up at level 5. Grandma, are you a 4 or 5 at WA? Hopefully the site will get better as time goes by. I almost feel like I am wasting my time writing at a level 3 when I am a 5 on TB, but guess I will give it time and see if I can get raised after completing more orders. Still not sure about WA…guess we’ll just have to give it time.

24. Grandma says:

The only problem with all their notifications about available articles, even to just those on love lists, is they arrive too late and the articles are already gone. I just keep checking every so often and get one when some are available.

25. Leigh says:

Yes, if a client seeks revisions you will get an “Assignement Rejected” notice, which always makes my blood rise. But if you then log in, you will see a reason why and the client can ask for a revision.

Also, at the bottom of each assignment is a place to write a note. This is where you can ask the client a question even before starting to write. There just needs to be at least one character in the title and the body of the article.

I would love to know who’s love list I am on. If you are on a love list, you’ll get a “Love List Items Posted” email when they have posted items. I’m going to ask WA if there is a way to see whose love lists we are on.
    Leigh recently posted..My New Favorite Online Writing Site

26. Grandma says:

Yeah, what I do not like about WA is that when an article is rated by the client, there is no explanation. If they mark it lower than desired rank, it would be nice to know what they did not like, for future reference. It might be nice also to know who the client is, as is possible with TB. Does anyone else know how to find out who put a writer on a love list? Is there an option for client to ask for a revision with instructions? I am guessing probably not, since there seems to be no identification of clients. I prefer TB even more now.

27. Rebecca says:

That’s really awesome- I’ve been frustrated at TB only being able to pick one up at a time. Looking forward to hitting 10 at WA! Thanks!

28. Leigh says:

PS….WA did an update so that once you have 10 accepted articles, you can accept 3 at a time now rather than just 1. Yay. I’ve already taken advantage of that.

29. Leigh says:

Yes, you should be set up so that on any given day you can write for 3 or 4 or 5 different companies.
    Leigh recently posted..My New Favorite Online Writing Site

30. Rebecca says:

I decided to give WA a try as sometimes I am concerned about just writing for Textbroker- what if they go under, don’t have enough work, etc etc. I have finally gotten to a level 5 on TB after four months of writing with them, quite happy, but disappointed that there are so few level 5 jobs. So, the application process at WA is complex, and I was quite relieved to have been accepted at a level 4. But, there really are no jobs at WA. I’ve picked up 2, and yes, the pay is better than TB but that doesn’t really matter if there is no work. I’m hoping their workload increases- it was worth the time it took to fill out the application, but the skimpy number of jobs is worrisome.

Rebecca, that’s why it’s so important to diversify. Apply at several other online writing sites so that if WA and Textbroker are bare, you have other options.