My Recent Suite 101 Experience

| September 20, 2010

A lot of Suite 101 old timers are experiencing a bit of fluctuation in their Suite earnings and page views. The Suite powers are experimenting and making changes to the site. Of course when one thing changes it affects other things.

I’ve shared before, that my Suite 101 earnings have dropped. It went from just shy of $600 in January ($592.81) to a low of $428.78 in June. The numbers are very slowly climbing back up, but it looks like this month might hit a new all time low.

Name of the Internet Game

The fact that numbers fluctuate is nothing new and I’m not concerned about fluctuations. It’s when numbers begin to trend in a certain direction that I get concerned.

Despite adding over 40 new articles to my Suite 101 library, my page views and income continue to decline. In contrast to my decline in Suite revenue, I look at my eHow earnings. My eHow articles continue to earn more each and every month despite the fact that I haven’t written any new eHow articles since March, 2010 when they discontinued the Writers Compensation Program.

This tells me that the problem is a bit more isolated to Suite 101 and not the internet in general.

More Analysis

I then looked into things just a bit further and compared my Suite earnings to a few of my own blogs. One blog in particular stood out. Here are a few facts:

Suite 101 My Blog
Number of Articles 243 49
Last Month’s Earnings $443.77 $235.53
Average Earning/Article
per month
$1.83 $4.80

Now that’s just a snapshot and not the full picture. Back in January when I earned nearly $600 with Suite I had 200 articles which meant that my per article per month rate was $2.96 per article. By the same token, June was a pretty good month for my blog in which I earned $315 and at that time had 38 posts which meant my monthly per article rate was $8.28.

So you see there are fluctuations in both Suite and my blog. However, when I look at the numbers, even when my blog numbers are down, I earn more per post than I do per article on Suite 101. Heck, even the few revenue share articles that I wrote for Demand Studios are averaging better than what I’m earning at Suite. Looking at my numbers got me to thinking.

Someone Moved My Suite Cheese

It appears that my Suite 101 cheese has been moved. I’ve got the option to Hem and Haw (sit around waiting for something to change) or Sniff and Scurry to find new cheese (If you haven’t read Who Moved My Cheese, you should). I’ve decided to find new cheese.

My first thought was to look for another content site to replace my dropping Suite 101 income. I did a little research and decided that I just didn’t want to go through building up another library of 200 plus articles on someone else’s site before I saw any real income coming in.

Instead of looking to share someone else’s cheese, I decided to make my own cheese. To that end, I’ve registered two more domain names that are very closely related to my 49-post blog. My goal is to expand my existing 49-post blog with more content and to build and interlink the two new blogs which, over time, should prove to be profitable.

What to Do with Suite 101?

I’ll continue to post the one article a week as mandated by my Suite 101 contract. I might even post two if I’m particularly passionate about something, but unless and until things at Suite 101 change, I’ve got to place my efforts where I can get the best return.

I’d be interested to hear how other writers are compensating for their drop in income whether the drop occurred at Suite or any other site.

Tags: , ,

Category: Earning Money, Legitimate, Niche Sites, Opportunities, Residual Income, Suite 101

1. LilyRose says:

Suite 101 has been a nightmare for me since July. May & June were amazing. I attributed the low earnings in July and August to the summer months. But Sept was horrible. I earned 56% less than I did in June, and for the topic I write about, Sept is one of the best months.

Well, I don’t look at my revenue every day anymore–it’s too depressing. So I look toward bettering my own site w/ better affiliates … *sigh*

2. Victoria says:

My eHow earnings & DS revenue share earnings continue to increase, as my Suite income goes down. The only difference? I’m still writing for Suite.
    I, also, am working on my own blogs & adding print queries to my ‘to do’ list to increase my income.
    -To the previous poster, I’d absolutely trust Karen.
    Victoria recently posted…Home Automation iPhone AppsMy Profile

3. Rosa says:

About the stats gathering at S101, do you really think Karen Berger can be trusted? Having spoken to her through email I can tell you she is a much different person in private communication than in the forums.

Rosa, the information Karen is asking for is the same information I freely share here on NJFM. I’ve got nothing to hide and hopefully by sharing my information it can help others.

Providing the information isn’t mandatory. If you don’t feel comfortable providing your information, then you should not send it. Karen is the only person who is brave enough (or silly enough) to try to help the rest of the writers understand the Suite trend by taking on this project.

Personally, I’ve set my own bar. Only I can dictate when it’s no longer worth it for me to write at Suite 101. My own stats are the only stats that will sway me one way or the other. Having said that, I don’t mind providing my information if it can help others.

4. Tashana says:

This is so encouraging. I am still not with Suite. But I’m taking your advice Felicia, so I’m pulling that article together. I’m with Demand Studios and have yet to write one assignment because of other responsibilities. When I read your site, I get inspired and engaged. So, the lesson here is, read NoJobForMom everyday, and especially before I start to write :-).

Thanks Felicia

5. MBZ says:

Hi S101 writers – Karen Berger is collecting data (anonymous) for August to try to determine some statistics about Suite and earnings. Check out the forums at S101 to get more information, and to contribute data. We need everyone, from low to high earners, to give info to get the best possible result. She’ll be computing earnings/article/month and other intriguing stats.

6. Krists says:

I know! I think the best way to keep employees is to give just an ounce of freedom. I have been at the same place for over 10 years so it is not like I am going anywhere (yet). My goal is to be self employed anyway which one of the reasons I follow No Job For Mom – I want your job :). So thanks for sharing your experiences it is a great motivator and helps to keep me on track.

7. Krista says:

Hi Felicia – it has been a long time since I have been able to get onto No Job For Mom – I used to look at first thing in the morning when I got to work 😉 Anyway, my workplace has now blocked all websites with the word “Job” in them so now I can’t get my daily fix!

Anyway, my suite earnings fluctuate all over the map some great days and some low days. I recently had an article hit the top 50 and make it on the front page and those were good earnings! Now that the article (seasonal article) has gone down so too have my earnings.

I agree with starting your own site – I have read all your blogs and really you already have an established readership here so it only makes sense to continue that on your own.

8. Prerna says:

In the same boat as you, Felicia. Need to relook my S101 approach. Although things are getting better, they’re not back to where they were in January and while I’d love to do what you’re doing-new sites and all, right now I just can’t. So, I’ll have to rethink my S101 strategy and make October the best ever.. Hopefully!
    Prerna recently posted…How to Have an Organized Mommy Handbag Moms’ 30- Minute Blog ChallengeMy Profile

9. Renee says:

Thanks for the advice. I will take another look at the site and the Editor’s Choice articles. I’ll give it another shot after I write another article. I hope I get accepted this time around.

10. Kristi says:

Hmmmm. I’ve been wondering the exact same thing lately. My eHow earnings continue to increase but my Suite101 earnings go down. However, over time I’ve earned over 25.00 (per article) with Suite101 so I’m not ready to jump ship altogether. However, I am now concentrating on my niche blog properties as these seem to be the only ones that I have control over.

Kristi, I agree with you. The per article rate is what keeps me at Suite and writing one article a week isn’t really a chore. So, I’ll hang in there while I exercise my other options as I see you’re doing also by concentrating on your niche blog. Only time will tell.

11. My earnings with Suite have been blasting upwards over the last two months so maybe you’ll be seeing an upwards trend too, soon. Good luck!
    Alina Bradford recently posted…What is LibetiMy Profile

Alina, thanks for the encouraging words. Only time will tell if my page views and earnings pick up. In the meanwhile, I’m off to greener pastures.

12. Renee says:

Man, I so want to dive into Suite and give it a go but they did not accept my application. Since they don’t give you much a reason why, it is hard to correct anything and apply again. I used an article I placed on Constant Content that hasn’t sold (in the process) yet. Maybe that’s where I went wrong. I don’t know, and I’m not sure I should even re-apply.

Rene, not having viewed your sample, its tough to say why they didn’t accept you.

Spend a little time looking through the site to get a feel for what Suite is looking for. Pay particular attention to the Editors Choice articles. Since they’re Editors Choice, they should be a good model to follow. I’ve been with them for a little over 3 years so it was a long time ago when I applied.

The standard advice always stands. Make sure its a tightly focused article and that the article is true to the title. I recently shared a few things I’ve learned from writing for the web and reviewing articles on the web. Also, on this post, Suite Just Got Sweeter, Edward shares some information on how he got accepted as a Suite writer. Hopefully this will help you on your next application.

13. Kidgas says:

I think you have a good plan to work on those new domains as you described. Even though the Suite income is down, you can take solace in the fact that it is passive and should continue monthly for quite a while. Hopefully, the changes will resolve themselves in the coming months. Best of luck with the new domains.
    Kidgas recently posted…Signed Up for List My 5My Profile

Kidgas, after receiving my daily earnings of only .48 yesterday, my idea of building my own websites sounds better and better.

If the earnings continue like that, its not even worth writing one article a week.

Only time will tell. I’ll sit tight for a bit longer to see if things work themselves out. In the meanwhile, I’ve got websites to build.

14. Emory says:

Felicia:

Does Suite101 allow you to use a pen name on your articles? Thanks.

15. Deanna says:

Interesting post. I think you are smart to build on what you know is working – your blog – and start other blogs with a similar format. Sometimes it is hard to know why a particular article or blog is so popular, so if you have a winning combination it’s best to run with it!

As for Suite101, I haven’t yet experienced a downward trend in revenue or page views. I’ve been with Suite since May 2009 and although I wasn’t impressed with it for the first 6-8 months, I am now seeing potential there. This summer I added around 40 new articles and each month I saw my income increase. This month I’ve only added 2 new articles and yet my income is increasing steadily. I plan on continuing with Suite and see where it leads.

As for EHow – My earnings continue to increase each month too. I wish I had placed more articles on the site before the shut down!

Good luck with the new blogs!
    Deanna recently posted…Words of Worth – Writing Site ReviewMy Profile

Deanna, that’s great to hear.

That shoots a hole in my Suite 101 theory. Hmmm, you give me something to ponder.

I’ll continue building my blogs but maybe I’ll take a different approach with Suite. I haven’t quite figured out what approach as yet, but it sounds like I need to make a few changes.

16. Aimee Larsen Stoddard says:

I’m discouraged with Suite101 this month. My page views are down from 1,725 per day to 1,576, and my earnings have fallen even more dramatically — by about 30%. I’m currently in wait-and-see mode and have decided to just write my 1 article per week as well. I’m also a little concerned about the additional feature writer changes that will be coming.
    Aimee Larsen Stoddard recently posted…Ayahuasca Tourism- Spiritual Drug Vacations in South AmericaMy Profile

17. Elvenrunelord says:

I wonder if your continuing downward spiral on Suite could have anything to do with Google hiccups?

With the addition of Google instant search and Suite changing their site, and the LONG time it takes Google in recognizing that change to your benefit……..

It could be a number of things.

However, like you I plan on focusing on my sites in the future rather than others. I believe we are reaching a critical point in the web where if we don’t watch it we will be back in the 9-5 grind most of us wanted away from when we started home based writing businesses. This because its becoming a web of major players even in the content business.

Best of luck to ya 🙂
    Elvenrunelord recently posted…iPad E-Reader AppsMy Profile

18. Christina Crowe ( @CashCampfire ) says:

Interesting article. Sounds like Suite101, in general, is going downhill. I’d still be interested in experimenting with them if I could get accepted. Suite101 sounds like they might be a promising opportunity.

As you know, I’ve been having no luck so far with the application. I’ll probably just keep experimenting and hope that they don’t tire from me.

Well, keep up the good work. I’m glad that you’re blogs are doing well.

Christina
    Christina Crowe ( @CashCampfire ) recently posted…SEO Web Content Writing Tactics- Get Found in Search EnginesMy Profile