Oh No She Didn’t!!!

| August 9, 2010

Let me calm down for a minute before I complete this post….

Okay, I’m calm.

Yesterday a young college student looking to earn money for a scholarship came to my house asking if we would sign up for a magazine subscription. The credit for the magazine would help her score points for her scholarship. Having a college age son, I was willing to help.

During her spiel she asked me what I did for a living. I told her I was a blogger and an online freelance writer. She looked at me, dismissed my profession and then asked me what my husband did for a living. After I told her, she asked me how long has he been in his career.

What?Vicoius Dog

This young college student basically dismissed my online writing and blogging. Little did she know that in a few short years I would be making more money than my husband and he and I would be living in an RV paid for by my residual income!

The young girl annoyed me so much that I asked her…”How much money would it take to end this conversation?” I gave her $10 as a donation and closed my door.

Grrr. I wish my dog was vicious. Instead of licking her and making her feel welcome, I wish he had growled and bit her in the rear end when she dismissed my career. The nerve!

Oh well, I guess older folks aren’t the only ones who are unable to see the opportunities and lucrative potential of online writing.

Tags: ,

Category: Freelance, Self Employed, Working from Home, Writing

1. Lee says:

I am a member of this online community where people post stories of personal experience and there is absolutely no lack of people saying they are writers or aspiring writers.

And yet, most seem to be either surprised or dismissive at the idea of blogging for a (quite) solid income. I was surprised myself. I considered myself to be quite late getting into the monetized blogging world I thought I was one of the last few to know.

One even chimed in and flat out claimed, “That’s ridiculous.” Like they’ve never even heard of the idea.

The woman is rude yes, and I agree with the others who said she was a scammer. Didn’t want to gamble on how much you are making and simply zero in on something she already knew, in the hopes of conning you and your husband out of the money she thought your husband was single-handedly making.

Me, I’d just let her stay in the dark. If she and her peers don’t know there’s honest work to be had writing online, so much the better for me 🙂

2. Christina Crowe says:

While I haven’t yet received that type of response (most likely because I don’t talk about my work much with outsiders; I’m an introvert 😉 ), I can understand how upsetting it would be if I were in your position.

From the research I’ve done, people like that are just ignorant. They don’t realize the real money-making potential of blogging or freelance writing on the Internet. If they did, a lot more people would be doing just that (not that there isn’t too many doing it already).

When I describe to people what I do for a living, many just don’t take me seriously. The response I get isn’t exactly dismissive. It’s usually something along the lines of, “And what’s your ‘real’ job?” or “Ah. So writing is a hobby?” People just can’t understand that writing can be a profession.. a real profession that has the potential of making tons of money.

Christina
    Christina Crowe recently posted…17 Practical Ways to Make a Living OnlineMy Profile

3. Shannon says:

I find that many people are traditional and just can’t think outside the box. And it’s really kind of sad. But that’s their problem. So what if their ignorance is expressed as dismissiveness and outright condescension. We know that we’ll get the last laugh!

It’s also fun to watch their attitude change when you talk about being able to travel when you want — and for how long you want. I took a 10-day trip last Christmas, several 4 and 5 day trips this year, and just spent 9 days away recently. Try doing that with a “traditional” job.

4. Tashana says:

You just have to love the ignorance of some people, especially some of our young people. When I hear stuff like this and I think of all the research I’ve done on Gen Ys or Millennials, I ask myself, “what are they teaching these kids?” They are coming out of college, high school, where ever totally unprepared for what success even looks like. What’s even more amazing is that Gen Yer’s are thought to be so much more technologically savvy that employers will have to conform and relax some of their old corporate habits in order to appease Gen Y. WHAT! I talk to college students on the regular and I can honestly say that a very small percentage of them even know what blogging is and/or it’s benefits. Next time she sees you it will be in your RV while she’s sitting in some hot office trying to make a name for herself . These kids will never learn.

5. Laura says:

There you go! lol

Seriously, as long as you’re happy with what you do, your family appreciates your efforts and your bank account is growing…what or who else matters? 😉

Have a great day, Felicia!
    Laura recently posted…8-11-2010 Work at Home Jobs for MomsMy Profile

6. Laura says:

I understand your frustration. We’ve all been there. However, I think we can avoid “being there” again if we stop valuing opinions. No one else has the power to validate…or invalidate…what we do unless we hand that power over to them. When we stop doing so, the problem solves its self.
    Laura recently posted…8-11-2010 Work at Home Jobs for MomsMy Profile

Laura, a very wise way of looking at the situation.

In the future, I’ll just tell folks that I get paid to play on the computer. 🙂

7. Lisa Russell says:

I think people dismiss us because A- they think we’re trying to sell them something or B- the idea of making money this way totally flies in the face of the mainstream belief that one needs a job, from an employer, and that in order to make any “real” money, you need a degree, etc.

So it’s all about fear. They’re afraid that they’re wasting their lives away working by the hour and our approach is dangerous to their mindset. They MUST believe it’s a scam in order to maintain their current heading.
    Lisa Russell recently posted…Free eBook Introduction to WebWritingMy Profile

8. LOL – just had a whinge about the same thing on my own site! I get the “are you still playing online” thing from so-called friends not just strangers – in fact the strangers tend to me supportive. I don’t call myself a writer (I’m not) – but trying to explain that I make money from advertising on websites… – I usually just settle for website designer – then they want to know how many clients I have *sigh*. IF you give a damme about what people think of you you won’t get far in this game (or any entrepreneurial business I suspect)
    Lis@Passive Income recently posted…Online Income – The Secret to Success Is …My Profile

9. Moki of Moki's Fanfiction Blog says:

Wow, that’s just crazy. Luckily I’ve never been scammed by one of these people but scamming aside, we’re still talking about an ignorant young woman. Here she is going door to door and LYING for her living and she dares to make fun of your career??

Some people have an amazing amount of nerve.

-Moki

10. Mandy says:

That’s funny you mentioned your dog. I have a male German shepherd. He’s a sweetheart but for the life of me I cannot get him to not bark when people come to the door. Then again, it is effective for scaring off solicitors. Some even refuse to step onto the porch. For extra effectiveness, sometimes I poke my head out of the door – instead of stepping out and closing the door behind me – just so that it seems a little more intimidating. Poor dog is wonderful, but makes terrible first impressions. Kids and charities get the better “stepping onto the porch” treatment.

No doubt people don’t take each other seriously and many are out to be critical. But I find that the more I dismiss the “mob” the happier all around I am. A lot of people who are successful by societal standards tend to be unhappy or on the road to something – divorce, etc. I don’t wish anyone bad fortune, but I don’t want to be them, either.

Someone once said that the great encourage greatness in others and then something about critical people having small minds. It’s a great quote, wish I could remember it.

11. Grandma says:

The value of a housewife…hmmm. A Chinese study put it at about $17,000 a year; an English study said about $58,500 a year, and another set it at about $31,000 a year – value. Look at a lawsuit where they have to figure the value of loss of wife’s “services” and different figures will pop up.

Consider the chores: cooking, cleaning, childrearing, nanny, teacher, nurse, companion, sex kitten, personal assistant, shopper, and all the others things women do at home. Put a value on that and figure how much the average housewife SAVES the economy.

Better watch out or this government will try to tax the housewife’s services as income to the spouse.

12. Grandma says:

Yep, tell people you make money writing on the Internet and they act like you just said you were an alien from Mars. Most seem to think it is cool.

13. prerna says:

Oh.. I can so totally relate to that.. Most people I mingle with don’t even consider working from home as work. To think of it, the Indian Census report recently had beggars, criminals and housewives classified in the same category since they are all “economically non-productive”! The nerve.
    prerna recently posted…The Simplest Way to a Clean HomeMy Profile

Prerna, for some reason your comment ended up in my spam folder. Glad I checked to find your comment.

I’m speechless about the housewife classification! I guess its going to take us a bit longer than I thought to get the proper recognition and credit we deserve for the work we do. I’d like to see the census takers take care of the home, kids and bring in money for the household. My blood is boiling!

14. Paul Novak says:

Just found you through Scribnia which I just joined. Now if they would just get my confirmation e-mail sent….

I am with you 100% on this post. I have a similar one sitting on my desktop waiting to be finished. In my case, I had a drug store clerk doing the small talk thing, then ask what I did for a living. When I replied that I write, he acted as though it was the most surprising thing he’d ever heard. “You’re a writer? Wow, I would never have guessed that!”

Granted I look like a backhoe operator more than anything, but seriously; is there some way a writer is supposed to look?

Now I can’t go to the store without hearing “Hey, it’s the famous writer”!

Is it bad to really want to kick someone for being a rube?

Great blog here, gald to have found it.
    Paul Novak recently posted…Taking Aim at AuthorityMy Profile

15. Angela says:

I was in the bed when I pulled NJFM’s feed from my iPod Touch and saw this post. It made my blood boil so that I had to get up and add a comment.

What a lot of nerve! I usually get one of two responses when I tell folks who don’t really know me that I’m a writer: 1) They try to manipulate me into doing quality work for them for either free or next to nothing while making comments that imply that they’re doing me a favor by ‘allowing’ me to work for them, many times adding that I can ghostwrite their autobiography because “they have a story that everybody would want to hear” and I could make a “ton of money from it” or 2) They’re dismissive. I don’t know why the concept of writing as a profession stirs this type of perspective from some.

But the experience that you describe takes the cake. Here is this young _broke_ female coming to your door _begging_ for money to fund her education (or so she says), and she has the nerve to be condescending when she’s told the nature of your profession? You’re a better woman than me because she wouldn’t have received a dime of my hard earned money at that point. WOW, just wow.

I’ve always been told that it’s best not to write when you’re angry, especially in a public venue, so I’m going to end right here … but I think that you catch my drift!

I hear ya loud and clear Angela. It’s funny. If you tell folks you’re a technical writer they find that acceptable. However, if you say I’m a freelance writer or content writer or online writer, they start to tune out.

Paul, that’s a funny story. At least he recognizes you as a writer.

16. LilyRose says:

Felicia, this is a scam. I ordered a subscription a couple years back and never got the mags. Then I complained to the Better Business Bureau and they were completely ineffective. They tried to contact the company, but conveniently it closed up shop in the middle of the night. Long story short, I was suckered big time, and I’m not the sucker type at all.

But the sad thing is these kids go door to door under horrible conditions. They’re rounded up in vans, stay in cheap hotels and are fed fast food once a day. There are stories of abuse and rape that happen frequently while on the road. I only know this because I researched the company thoroughly after being scammed and read true accounts of what happens to these kids. It’s sad.

So don’t be offended by the writing comment. The kid probably didn’t know better.

17. Elizabeth says:

Having taught high school for five years I can say there is no other group of people in the world who know so little but think they know everything. haha!

Don’t worry Felicia. You’re laughing all the way to the bank and that girl has a world of life lessons in front of her.

P.S. Your dog is a cutie!

-Elizabeth
    Elizabeth recently posted…Crafty Book Club BlogMy Profile

18. Grandma says:

“No Solicitors” – put a sign on the door; never purchase unless it’s local kids like Scouts that you know.

19. kidgas says:

Yeah, too bad you didn’t. I bought a subscription several years back and never actually got it. Now I never buy that stuff, or even open the door. I will occasionally buy one of those big candy bars from salespeople since I can have it in hand on the spot.

It is truly a shame that she didn’t understand your profession nor hers.
    kidgas recently posted…Putting Long Term Thinking Into PerspectiveMy Profile

20. Deanna says:

This is so annoying. I get that from almost everyone I tell that I write online for a living. They don’t understand how a person can do it so they just dismiss it. I even have relatives who think I do nothing but sit around watching TV all day. One relative told my daughter one day that she thought I must get bored being home all day doing nothing. Nothing! Occassionally someone will get excited when I tell them what I do, so that helps to make up for it. Of course, I should be used to being dismissed because it is the same reaction that I used to get when I told people I was a stay-home mom. I have to give you credit, though, for giving the girl any money at all. Hope it wasn’t a scam.
    Deanna recently posted…Demand Media Files to Go PublicMy Profile