Secrets to Success on Constant ContentCeleste Stewart has sold over 2,500 articles on Constant-Content and she shares her secrets in her book Secrets to Success on Constant-Content. Its a must read for anyone serious about making money on Constant-Content.

Two Different Paths to The Same Spot

OK, here I go with the numbers again.

After Suite posted their top 10 earners and top 100 page views, I had to take a look at my own stuff. It seems that I took two different paths but ended up in the same place. There’s the Google path and the Suite path (which aint so sweet at the current moment):

Site January, 2010 June, 2010
Google $235.03 $428.12
Suite $592.81 $428.78
Total $827.06 $856.90

In other words, I’m making 182% more money with Google now than I did in January and 28% less with Suite than I did in January. Both paths earned $428 in June.

It wasn’t until May, when my Suite earnings dropped below $500, that I started to pay attention. At first I started to write more Suite articles, but I noticed that my earnings kept dropping. You know that saying ‘the hurrier I’d go the behinder I’d get.’Suite-Google Roads

Not wanting to waste time and energy, I decided to meet my weekly obligation with Suite but decided to concentrate my efforts elsewhere.

Still Believe in Suite

Suite has been online for 13 years. Every parent of a teenager knows what happens when a child becomes a teenager. Maybe Suite is no different. It’s reaching its rebellious years and testing the waters.

Just like I have not abandoned my children (who are both teenagers), I’m not bailing out on Suite. However, as with my teens, I pick and choose my battles and know when some things need a bit of a cooling off period.

Thank God dogs are even tempered and don’t have rebellious teen years!

Mellow Mojo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Bookmark and Share

Filed Under: Earning MoneyLegitimateOpportunitiesResidual IncomeSuite 101

About the Author: Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she's not writing or commenting on NJFM, she's either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites which include Tidbits and Stuff, BLULOW, A Dose of Health and a few other sites/blogs scattered around the internet.

RSSComments (17)

Leave a Reply | Trackback URL

1. Kim McLendon says:

I was looking at this and thinking… my first thought of course was math. You are making an average of $2.50 winter and $1.80 summer per month per article. I then remembered what every forum owner who has young people knows. Young people are off line a lot in summer. Possibly you are only experiencing the migratory habits of college students, high school kids and parents of young children. People are on line more in winter. It gets dark earlier and it’s cold, plus school is in session, so there is homework in winter… plus hours in school and a lap top handy. I would not be too alarmed. It’s possible that the people who come to your sites do so for WORK purposes, while the people messing around on Suite do so for fun. It’s more fun to go outside in the summer or have social activities, than it is to fiddle around on the web. However in January what else is there to do but stay on line or watch TV?

2. LilyRose says:

Thanks, Felicia.

I must have misinterpreted your advice originally – my apologies. OK, I see what you’re saying. You make valid points and I think I’ll stick with it and see how it goes because I enjoy it and it’s a good endeavor. Plus, it’s nice to make a little money while I’m in the learning curve, right?

3. LilyRose says:

Felicia, I’d love to hear your opinion on this. I started an information finance blog/website and set it up with Adsense in April 2010. So far, it’s made $120 in 4.5 months. Nothing amazing, but it seems decent compared to 9 months to earn $16, as you stated above.

This month, August 2010, has been bad for both my blog and Suite. I know August is usually a dud Internet-wise. Do you think I’m doing OK numbers-wise in regard to my blog, or is this a wasted effort?

I’m curious bc I know you and others have told me don’t waste your time if it’s not making a ton of money?

I’m also going to add an affiliate as well to boost my numbers.

Thanks!

Hi LilyRose

The question you ask is subjective. Is $120 in 4 ½ months good enough for you? I don’t think it’s so bad. It all depends on what you’re looking for. You have to crawl before you walk.

If I had said in the past to drop a blog if it’s not making a ton of money than I believe I was misinterpreted or misquoted. None of my blogs are making a ton of money so using that reasoning I should quit now.

I think I need to clarify a few things here at No Job for Mom. I created this site to share what I learned in my online writing journey and to offer inspiration and motivation. I’m not here to judge or determine whether anyone should stick with or abandon a blog. I have blogs that I stick with that don’t earn a lot of money because I enjoy them.

This weekend I was reviewing my AdSense income for No Job for Mom. For the past 2 ½ years I’ve earned a whopping total of $200 in AdSense income. So, using the logic of abandoning a blog if it doesn’t make a ton of money, I should have quit a long time ago.

I do earn some money from other sources but I’ve got to tell you that it’s not a lot. I’ve said before and I’ll say it again, NJFM has not proven to be a moneymaker but I’m going to continue with the blog because I enjoy it.

LilyRose, I cannot answer your question. You have to decide whether the effort is worth it for you and then make the decision to go forward or not. If you enjoy the subject matter for which you have earned $120 in the last 4 1/2 month, then continue. If you’re not enjoying what you do and have only earned $120, then let it go. That’s my philosophy but it doesn’t work for everybody.

When I earned $16, it wasn’t because I was trying to earn money. I was having a grand time playing on the internet and then discovered Google AdSense so I put it on my site. When I earned the $16 I was amazed and realized there was money to be made. The difference was I was doing what I enjoyed doing and then the money followed, so I continued to play online.

So, to answer your question with a question…do you think it’s worth it?

4. Lisa Russell says:

Hi Felicia, I wasn’t sure if it was the change in algorithm, or the site redesign at Suite, but I took a hit as well. It wasn’t my Google Adsense earnings that made up for it, though, it was Amazon affiliate sales, of all things.

I’ve been experimenting with increasing my incoming links and social networking “shares” of my older Suite articles, and it has increased their traffic. With Suite’s stats, I can see that the increase in traffic isn’t just from the links, the links must be making them rank higher.

My easiest method so far has been to use a post-dated tweet. I’ve set them up for all of my seasonal articles. I’ve also made “roundup” posts that are post-dated to be released around whichever holiday the article mentions.

I’m not sure what to do with the evergreens, I’ll probably do a similar roundup technique, and post them on Examiner, my blogs, Xomba, Shetoldme and other sites.
    Lisa Russell recently posted..Free eBook Introduction to WebWriting

5. Beelissa says:

I remember hearing something about Google changing their search algorithm. Seems like whatever they did hurt the search results for Suite articles. Do you think?

Am I understanding that your Google income is Google adsense ads on your own blogs?

I am hoping to be able to start my own website, soon. Thanks for sharing your income info, it’s really helpful.
    Beelissa recently posted..Pet Peeves About Other Drivers

Yes, Beelissa, my Google income is Google AdSense.

The change in algorithm may have hurt Suite, I can’t say for sure and don’t want to speculate. The interesting thing is that the change in algorithm didn’t affect any of my blogs/websites.

6. prerna says:

Thank you once again for sharing these hard figures with us. It always helps to put things in perspective. I agree about diversification and while continuing to write for Suite have started writing for others as well. Blissfully Domestic has been doing suprisingly well for me.
    Hopefully, things at Suite will start to look better.
    Warm regards,
    Prerna
    prerna recently posted..5 Simple Ways to Save Money on Groceries

7. Tamara says:

How are you making money through Google?

8. Louierrific says:

Thanks Felicia, your blog is a great source of motivation for newbie writers like me. It’s just great to learn from experience and it’s even greater to learn from the experiences of people who have been there before I even started.
    Louierrific recently posted..Just a Quickee- 294-

9. Angela says:

Felicia, these numerical updates are really so very helpful as we plan our own online writing strategies. Two of the lessons that I’m learning from what you’re posting are: 1) Diversification is both important and necessary and 2) Developing our own blogs and websites should remain a priority as well as posting to other revenue sharing sites as we work towards building our passive residual income streams.

Thanks for continuing to share this information with us.
    Angela recently posted..Weekday Friends

10. Deanna says:

Sorry to hear your Suite earnings continue to fall. I am not yet near your earnings there but have been lucky enough to see them increase over the past two months. Your Google Adsense numbers, however, really put mine to shame. I just posted my June earnings on my blog and my $9 is sad compared to yours. I can see where creating a few sites/blogs of my own may actually be smart to do from seeing your numbers. Thanks for sharing. :)
    Deanna recently posted..Google Adsense Earnings for June

Deanna, when I first started, it took me 9 months to earn $16! Earning $9 is a lot better than I did back then.

Stick with it. :)

11. Thanks for this Felicia. I have been struggling with Suite for awhile now…not just the earnings, but the writing style. I am starting to get discouraged – eHow is no longer available! Any advice on other sites? How do you do so well with Google?? What are your thoughts (or your readers) on InfoBarrel? I like more flexibility than eHow or Suite offers in my writing. Looking for opps since I may be losing my “day” job!

Always appreciate your insight!! Julie
    Julie-Inspired to Write recently posted..Lessons Learned from Purchasing the Thesis Theme

Julie, I’m sorry to hear about your day job. In this economy we all have to find as many alternatives as it takes to keep things afloat.

As far as InfoBarrel goes, I wasn’t successful with them. After several months I asked them to remove all of my articles and close my account. I wrote articles for InfoBarrel and Orato at the same time but found I only earned money with Orato. After 9 months of no InfoBarrel earnings I asked them to shut things down. There are some folks who do well with InfoBarrel. I just don’t happen to be one of them.

As far as my Google earnings go, I’m a firm believer in creating your own sites/blogs. Writing for sites like Suite and eHow may be profitable, but if they go out of business, you’re sunk. I think of writing sites like renting an apartment. While an apartment may be nice and have all the amenities, you don’t own it and can’t alter the floor plan without permission.

When you have your own site (or your own house for that matter) you have a lot more flexibility. Granted, my sites don’t get the amount of traffic that eHow and Suite do, but I get enough to earn a few bucks here and there.

Think of your own site as a savings account. For every so many articles you write for someone else, write a few for yourself. Most financial experts promote paying yourself first. I guess that philosophy works with online writing too. You won’t earn a lot of money immediately, but over time your own sites will start bringing in more money.