Another Writing Opportunity: NaturalNews

| June 3, 2010 | 23 Comments

NaturalNewsNaturalNews is another writing site open to international writers. It has been around since 2005 (that’s when the domain name was registered), has a Google page rank of 6 and current Alexa rating of 5,518. They seem to have a thriving site with steady readership.

Their tag line is “Natural Health, Natural Living, Natural News” and they are looking for citizen journalists to cover a variety of topics on healthy living.

They way it works

As a citizen journalist for NaturalNews you pick a “beat.” A beat is a topic. Check out their site to see the current list of available beats. In order to be successful at NaturalNews you’ve got to have a passion or strong interest in writing about health. Some of their currently available topics are on cancer prevention, food safety, prenatal nutrition and more. They don’t want opinion pieces. They want fact based articles so you’ll have to do your research.

You get a byline and bio on each article. Your bio may include links to your current projects or blogs (no affiliate links). Your article is then placed in their NaturalNews network which includes “several hundred other topic specific news sites.”

[smartads]

NaturalNews Payment Model

Payment is made directly through Google AdSense so you need to have your own account. They place Google Ads using your publisher ID in an ad above the fold before your article. You get 100% of the Google Ad revenue for your article.

In addition to your Google Ad, they place other ads on the page (you don’t earn from those).Healthy Living

As with all sites using the Google AdSense payment model, the more you write the better your chances of earning money. As a result, NaturalNews asks its journalists to write at least one article a week. You can always write more if you wish, but there is a minimum requirement of one piece a week.

Article Republishing Rights

They want original, non plagiarized articles that were not previously published elsewhere. They ask that you not republish your NaturalNews article on your own website for at least 30 days. After 30 days you can place it on your own blog or where ever else you wish to place the piece.

Where to Apply

Visit NaturalNews  to apply for a writing position. It takes them about 3 to 5 days to process the application. The interesting thing about the application is that it asks for information such as name, phone number, email address (public and private), byline wording and AdSense code, but I didn’t see anything about requesting a writing sample. Maybe the writing sample is something they request later on in the process (I didn’t apply).

SecureThe other thing that struck be as odd is the registration form is not secure. A secure page will have “https” in the URL or even display a little lock icon in the web browser but I didn’t see either https or the lock icon. It’s not a biggie since they’re not requesting anything super private (except a telephone number).

My Opinion

I like the site’s subject matter and NaturalNews does a good job of explaining what they’re all about and what they expect from their writers. I think I’ll put them on my “To Do” list.

I’d love to hear from anyone who has written for or is writing for NaturalNews.

Tags: , , ,

Category: Legitimate, NaturalNews, Opportunities

Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she’s not writing or commenting on NJFM, she’s either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites.

1. Anish says:

You have no idea how useful your post has been to me! I just submitted my application. I very recently started a News website and I’ve been looking for good blogs/websites to guest blog on, for quality backlinks, and this website is exactly what I needed now – they’re SUCH a big platform, with a PageRank of 6, and best of all, it has a great earning potential too. Oh and not only that, it’s about one of my fav topics! Healthy Living! Woot. Thanks a million.

Anish.

2. j says:

If you are a writer and get paid by google, google is reliable with payments. But NaturalNews is very slow in paying their employees.

3. Jack C says:

I started to sign up with them. then received an email that asked for my driver’s license, passport, military ID, etc. I find it highly questionable. I include the lines copied from their email as follows:

For the next step in the application process please fax and/or email the following items. (Please include your real name, real-sounding penname (optional), and email address.) Fax #: 520-615-1957; Email: webseed@naturalnews.com

1) Identity Verification: Please submit copies of two identification cards (with at least one picture ID). Your two identification cards may consist of a driving license, other government-issued identification, school identification, passport, voter registration, military card, etc.
    We only need to verify that you are who you say, please feel free to black out any other personal information. All identification information is deleted and/or shred after application review.

Thanks for the update, Jack. Actually, I can understand both sides of the coin. I would be a bit put off if I received that type of email first off, but I also understand that NaturalNews wants to make sure they’re hiring the person that they think they’re hiring.

If I were really interested in the gig, I would probably call them.

4. HealthyOpal says:

An exellent point ChrisAnn, which is why I don’t put any claims on my natural products even though I know how effective they are. US government can put you on lockdown very quickly. I know several others who do what I do too, because of what the US government can do to you.

5. ChrisAnn says:

Just a quick comment. I’ve been a Natural News fan for a long time. Mike Adams is a solid guy who just wants to provide the truth hopefully saving the world in the process. I completely understand why he would operate out of Taiwan for a few reasons… not sure but I’m guessing…but the main one is probably his content and opinions even though much of it is fact and research based. In the US the government doesn’t like people like Mike Adams or Andrew Weil. They can actually attempt to seize ALL your assets and shut you down. It’s scary how money and power makes people so corrupt to keep the truth hidden. Anyway just my two cents! :-)))))

6. prerna says:

Oh yeah, I don’t know how I missed mentioning Untrained Housewife. I was part of the Beta testing phase and since I really enjoyed writing for the site, continued. My earnings aren’t great but I’ve learnt quite a bit, made good contacts with PR people(thanks to Angela)and have had great fun writing on topics that I love. Right now, I’m Parenting Columnist which means I get all my Adsense revenue plus all writers can use one affiliate link in their articles as well.
    Another great one is Blissfully Domestic. 99% adsense revenue. Get to work with awesome editors and yeah, Angela is the EIC as well!:-) I’ve reviewed it on my site so you could take a look – http://www.themomwrites.com/2010/04/make-money-writing-for-blissfully-domestic.html
    Do check both out!
    Blessings,
    Prerna

7. Interesting – thanks Lily Rose! I may check it out too!!

8. LilyRose says:

Wow, Taiwan. No offense to Taiwan, but that sounds sketchy. It sounded like the perfect fit for me until I saw that – thank you Ignatius!

No one has mentioned Untrained Housewife. Felicia, you should definitely add this site to your Legitimate list. It’s Angela England’s site – she’s one of the longest-running writers and most trusted voices at Suite. I personally had a phone meeting consultation with her, and she gave me amazing suggestions – and all of them have been working well. In fact, I believe I’ve seen advertisements for her ebook on NJFM: Make Money from Your Blogs Beyond Ads.

Untrained Housewife is new, with a page rank of 4 – great for a new site. You are paid via Google Adsense and you receive 50% of the revenue, which is excellent. Angela is looking for talented writers. The editors work with writers and help, if a writer needs help, in SEO and writing in general.

I have a feeling this site may blow up (in a good way) because it’s cool yet has great info. Also, Angela is running it, which means it’s legit and profitable. Check it out!

9. Bristolboy says:

Using Alexa the website appears to be slowing in growth. Potentially more worrying for earnings is the fact only just over 10% of the traffic comes from search engines.

10. Louanne says:

I just wanted to add information about the writing sample. I applied for them last week and got an answer yesterday. They have asked me to provide a writing sample and some identification. So, I’ll let you know what happens after I have sent in my sample!

Louanne

11. Emory,

You can say what you will, but I have articles I wrote in 2008 that are still making me money today and I have not touched that site for 1-1/2 years now.

If you call an average of $30 a month for 40 articles over a 2-3 year period just a few dollars then residual income through writing is not for you.

But can you see the potential if you had 400 articles: $300 a month, 1000 articles: $750 a month….etc.

When you look at it this way, a few dollars a month is not too shabby for something you wrote 2-3 years ago 😀

Peace
    .-= Elvenrunelord´s last blog ..By: Survey Seeker =-.

12. Emory says:

It seems a lot of sites want you to basically write for “free” while dangling a residual carrot in front of you. Great from their perspective (they get content on the cheap), but not so great for the writer who doesn’t have time to sit around and hope an article generates a few dollars oneday, someday in the future.

13. Amy Young says:

That does sound a little sketchy. Have you found anything to replace ehow yet? I totally missed the boat on the ehow earnings. I just read a blog where a woman was making 2k a month in residuals. I was like “whoa”. What are people doing now? I think everyone has just scattered around and doesn’t know what to do.

I think a lot of us are spending more time concentrating on some of our other writing venues. Personally, I’ve been spending a quite bit more time developing my own sites.

I was going to ramp up my contributions to Suite 101 but they seem to be undergoing a few revenue/page view issues.

Actually, you can still write your own How To’s using Demand Studios. I think a few people are doing pretty well with that.

Other folks are working with Examiner, Associated Content and a host of other sites to fill in the gap. eHow was really a pretty sweet deal. 🙂

14. This in interesting and one of the few that has caught my eye in awhile. Funny, when I was reading it, I thought this sounds like articles I could write on Suite 101 – the objective-non-opinion writing that is not my favorite. Then someone commented on making more $$ than Suite. Something to consider! Thanks as always!!
    .-= Julie-Inspired to Write´s last blog ..Demand Studios Assignments Make No Sense for eHow Articles =-.

15. Ignatius says:

You might want to approach this one with a little bit of caution. Take a look at their privacy policy. It says that they won’t sell your email to third parties, but it doesn’t say anything about the safety of your other information. It also points out that the company is based outside the USA (the headquarters is in Taiwan) so it is outside the reach of US laws. Here’s the quote from the privacy policy: “In fact, Truth Publishing (the company that owns NaturalNews.com) operates outside the United States and does not answer to U.S. authorities.”

The terms of use include this buried in a rather lengthy bit of fine print:
    “You consent to receive communications from NaturalNews concerning your use of the WEBSITE (“Communications”). The Communications may be those that NaturalNews is required to send to you by law concerning the WEBSITE (“Required Communications”). The Communications may also be those that NaturalNews sends to you for other reasons. You consent to receive Communications electronically. NaturalNews may provide these Communications to you by sending an email to the email address you provided or by posting the Communication on the NaturalNews Network. You also consent to receive Communications by telephone or by postal mail sent to the postal address you provided in connection with your account, if any.”

So, in other words, they can use your information freely for marketing their own products. In addition to publishing books and selling products from flashlights to shampoo, they appear to own hundreds of websites. And, according to this link:
    they have their very own email marketing firm.

While I don’t know enough about the issues to confirm the validity of the statements by the physician/blogger at the link above, the material in Natural News’ own privacy policy and terms would be enough to give me pause. It may be a legitimate business, but I am cautious by nature so I think I will take a pass on this one.

Thanks, Ignatius, for your investigative work. It’s interesting that their Who Is information had them listed in Cody, Wyoming in the US. I guess you can never be too careful.

About a year or so ago I purchased the Magic Jack phone service and use that whenever I sign up for a company that requires a phone number. I also use one of my generic email addresses until I feel comfortable with a new site.

I guess I’ll have to take a second look at NaturalNews. I’ll send them an email to see how they respond to this info.

Edited: After reading Faith, Reason and Health, I doubt very much that NaturalNews will respond to my email, but I sent it anyway.

16. Deanna says:

Thanks for the info – I hadn’t heard about this site yet. Like you, I may have to put this on my To Do list in case one of my other writing jobs doesn’t pan out. 🙂
    .-= Deanna´s last blog ..Income Increases at Triond and Suite101 =-.

17. prerna says:

I know of a few Suite101 writers who write there and according to them ,they make way more than what they make at Suite.. So, if that is true, then it really is a great place to write. Thanks for reviewing it. I had it on my list but since have had a lot on my writing platter, completely forgot about it. 🙂
    Warmly,
    Prerna
    .-= prerna´s last blog ..Write an eBook from Scratch in Just Two Weeks and a Writing Routine =-.