Sometimes There’s Not Much to Say

| May 18, 2010 | 13 Comments

FamilyI realized that I haven’t posted here for about a week or so. This post is to touch base with you guys to let you know I didn’t fall off the face of the earth. It seems that real life has been getting between me and my keyboard.

Careful What You Wish (Plan) For

Many moons ago when my hubby and I were planning to have children, I was working at a full time job. I remember saying that we should try to plan it so we can have our children right before the summer so that I could take the entire summer off for maternity leave.

Apparently our plan worked out perfectly. My first child was born in June and my second child in May. That was many moons ago and I had two summers off to spend with my children.

Fast Forward to 2010

Now many moons later, my children are no longer toddlers. My plan to have children right before the summer seemed perfectly fine back then, but I didn’t think about the fact that when they grow up everything happens right around May and June. There are things called proms, formals, graduations, Mother’s day, Father’s day, oh, yeah, almost forgot, birthdays too (and I won’t tell you the story about Grandpa). I kinda feel like a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.Family

No Complaints

I’m not complaining. I wouldn’t have it any other way. I just look back and think…if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn’t have to worry about maternity leave. I now work from home and can take the time off as I need it. I can’t imagine how I would have handled these couple of months if I had to work at a 9-5 job.

Tags: , ,

Category: Freelance, Self Employed, Working from Home

1. jen says:

It’s a crazy time for everyone! I hope that your next post is about Yahoo buying out Associated Content. I would love to see your opinion on that!

Jen, I heard about the sale but didn’t pay too much attention since I don’t write for AC. I will, however, do some digging around when time permits to see how I feel/think about it.

2. I can definitely relate to everything happening at once. Between some rough spots in life, general busy work that always seems to come in May, and a slew of freelance and creative projects coming my way, I’m not sure there would be enough hours in the day if there were 50 each! Still, good to see you’re still around and kicking. Keep up the great blog!
    .-= Master Dayton´s last blog ..Freelance Writing Struggles: Motivation & Encouragement =-.

3. prerna says:

Ooh.. I have everything scheduled for the first three months – birthdays, wedding anniv and then, have nothing on the calendar for sometime till July… We’ve decided to keep Mother’s Day and Father’s Day low-key and simple and even, birthdays and anniv’s are relatively laidback and easygoing.. Since my daughter is a toddler, am a long way off from graduation day:-)
    .-= prerna´s last blog ..Five Easy Ways to be Mindful and Three Reasons to Focus on the Now =-.

4. May always seems to fly by with all the activity going on. I never thought about how adding a birthday would complicate things! Our first child is due this June, so busy summers lie ahead. Thank goodness I don’t have a 9-5 to worry about too.
    .-= Rachel @ Pen Meets Wallet´s last blog ..April Earnings Update =-.

Rachel, congrats on your soon to be new arrival. June is a great time for babies especially if you don’t have to worry about a 9-5.

Prerna, enjoy your daughter now. It’s amazing how quickly time passes.

5. Kidgas says:

Ah, yes. I am going through the first of 6 (wait maybe 12) graduations that will be happening in May. At least I will get next year off, but in the future will be dealing with 2 in one year. I never thought about how busy this time of year is. Thanks for mentioning it! LOL.

On the other hand, Indianapolis and May is always time for the 500. We look forward to it each year.
    .-= Kidgas´s last blog ..It Is Important to Get Backlinks =-.

6. Synthia says:

Hi Felicia … did you hear about Associated Content getting snapped up by Yahoo? Your thoughts?
    .-= Synthia´s last blog ..From Stefani to Gaga: A Biography of Lady Gaga =-.

Synthia, for some reason your comment ended up in my spam folder. I haven’t had much time to ponder that move as yet. I don’t really write for AC (only placed one article there), but I’m sure it will have a ripple effect in the online freelance writing world.

7. Shannon says:

I get slammed around this time of year, too, even without kids. Both my parents’ birthdays are in May. I love them very dearly, but all these springtime celebrations are a headache!

8. Deanna says:

I have also been lax about my blog posts lately because I’ve been too busy writing for sites – which is a good thing, actually. When I am busy writing, I don’t have time to find new information for writers to check out. Now that summer is here, it is also difficult to keep focused on work instead of being outside. Of course, I think everyone else is probably busy trying to balance things this time of year and maybe don’t have time to read my posts anyway. Can’t really say if that is a good thing or a bad thing. 😉
    .-= Deanna´s last blog ..Type-A-Mom Writer’s Site =-.

9. Lauren says:

I totally hear what you’re saying. My productivity, regardless of what I’m working on, usually takes a dive between mid-May and mid-June. On top of a slew of birthdays, there are always graduations to attend, and people seem to think it’s the perfect time to host any and all bridal and baby showers. It used to stress me out, but I’ve since learned to just roll with it and do what I can, when I can. Enjoy these memorable moments!
    .-= Lauren´s last blog ..Challenges on the Horizon =-.