Life after eHow

| May 11, 2010

eHow vs Demand StudiosI often get e-mails asking how life has been after eHow. My only regret with eHow shutting down its writing program as it did is that I was in the middle of yet another experiment which came to a screeching halt. So rather than perform my experiment on the eHow website, I’ve decided to look for a new home to continue it elsewhere.

Transitioning from eHow to Demand Studios

The transition from eHow to Demand Studios wasn’t too difficult since I already had a DS account. Many of us eHow writers knew exactly what was in store for us since we have been through the DS rigors.

Just for grins I claimed three articles using my new eHow pre-approved Demand Studios account which has a three-article claim limitation. The title was in my usual area of expertise and it wasn’t difficult to write. I wrote it in my usual style giving the appropriate references.

Imagine my frustration when I received a plethora of silly questions. I saved both the article and the comments but elected not to share them here. Instead, I allowed the article to expire and then claimed the same article under my original Demand Studios account. I wrote the article and it went through without a hitch (it might have been the CE or it might have been the new account).

Not Wasting TimeWasting Time

After that experience I decided not to waste time writing through my eHow approved Demand Studios account. If I choose to write for DS, I will continue using the same old account that I’ve been using for the past couple years. Although there are the occasional silly requests, I don’t feel like I’m under a microscope.

From the time eHow made the switch to the DS interface to now I’ve written about ten Demand Studio titles. I keep telling myself to write a revenue share title and to suggest a title just to test the procedure, but I have yet to do so. I’m not so sure that I’m up to the anticipated frustration.

eHow Earnings

In the time since the eHow writing program was discontinued, I noticed that my eHow income dropped about $130 last month. It could have been a seasonal fluctuation or a drop in article popularity. I’m not spending too much time trying to figure out the reason for the drop.  I did prune a few of the non earning articles and placed them elsewhere, but they couldn’t have affected my monthly income because they never earned anything in the first place.eHow Fun

Since eHow is a closed chapter and Demand Studios is an on-again off-again love affair, I have been spending more time developing my own sites. I always keep my eyes open for new quality opportunities, but at this point in the game, I think I’ll spend my time developing what I have.

Fun While it Lasted

The eHow ride was fun while it lasted and I guess all good things must come to an end eventually. Time to move on. Grandma’s recent earnings of over $300 in one day with Textbroker proves there is life after eHow (and an alternative to DS).

Tags: , ,

Category: Demand Studios, eHow, Legitimate, Opportunities

1. Just popping back to this post to update that my eHow earnings have increased quite a bit in the past two months. I started baclinking popular articles and under-performers and have really noticed a difference. So … even though we can’t write new articles, we can improve earnings!
    Maria (WriterGig) recently posted…Crazy High eHow EarningsMy Profile

2. Virginia Allain says:

Felicia, I haven’t geared up to write for Demand Studios after eHow. I’d already made the mental shift over to Squidoo while the publishing issues were bogging eHow down.

I’ll put in a shameless plug here for Squidoo which allows a lot of creativity and has some great earning potential. The website I’m listing here is one where I tell how to take an ex-eHow article and convert it to a Squidoo lens.

Don’t expect to earn anything for about 3 months there. Fortunately I have good residual income from eHow so the transition wasn’t a crisis for me.
    Virginia Allain recently posted…Turn an eHow Article into a Squidoo Lens updated Mon Apr 12 2010 8-27 am CDTMy Profile

3. Grandma says:

Ha ha, just wait until they have kids of their own and want Grandma to help out…..you will be back at preschool again!

4. WOW, Felicia, congrats on that high earner! My top eHow article took over two years to get to $2,000 so you have me beat there. 😉

Yes, the four little ones ages 0-6 make life crazy and fun and hard and wonderful all at the same time. My youngest was born in December and I took a couple months off writing just to stay sane and to bond with him. It sure made me appreciate having residual income!

How old are your kids now?
    Maria (WriterGig) recently posted…Wealthy Affiliate: Days 4 & 5 — it’s paid for itselfMy Profile

Maria, my kids are in their teens now. I thought that when they got older I would have more free time, but it seems that until they can drive themselves everywhere I’m still just as busy.

5. Felicia says:

Hey Maria,

Every time I look at my increasing eHow earnings, I tell myself to write a few revenue share through DS. I think I’ll finally get around to it next week. After all one, of my eHow articles has earned over $2300 in less than a year. Who knows, maybe I can get lucky and come up with another winner. 🙂

Wow, 4 little ones at home. You’re going to be very busy.

6. Felicia,

I was disappointed at the ending of the eHow WCP (writers compensation program) as well but have found that rev-share articles written through Demand Studios for publication on eHow.com are the next best thing.

Still, eHow is only one part of my residual income and I’m working to increase Adsense earnings on my niche sites and to expand my affiliate marketing efforts too.

So much to do … so little time (especially with my four little ones home all summer!)
    .-= Maria (WriterGig)´s last blog ..Wealthy Affiliate: Days 2 and 3 =-.

7. Lauren Nelson says:

Speaking of life after eHow… Pat Flynn’s recommendation for a writing site to replace eHow earnings with was InfoBarrel. I found a couple of posts where you mentioned the site, but no full blown reviews. Could you share a little bit of your experiences writing there? Have you seen any increase in earnings with the site’s growth? Just curious.

Lauren, I might be the only person in the world that did so poorly with InfoBarrel that I asked them to close my account.

I wrote three articles there as an experiment and after about 9 months I earned a total of $0.00. I earned more writing for Orato than I did for InfoBarrel so I removed my articles and asked them to close my account.

8. Jule Romans says:

Hello Felicia-

I just dropped by to say THANK YOU for your blog. You have guided and inspired me! I started writing online in December.

I have much more to say, but I will save that for later. I want to share my great experiences with hubpages in a longer post. I really like it there. I also truly enjoy writing for textbroker.

The important thing is: I would not have found either of them without your help.

So, thanks a million for your work.

9. netlexis says:

I’m not giving up on Demand Studios and I do want to write some more revenue share articles, but I think it’s important now to find a couple other baskets. I’m working on a couple other sites, but I really think you’re on to something, Felicia, with developing your own sites.

Kidgas, I’m writing on Hubpages, too, but I think a lot of it has to do with volume and at 14 hubs, its way too early for me to evaluate. Also, I do think as a writer you have to find the right fit. Demand Studios isn’t for everyone. Fortunately, it seems there are a lot of possibilities ($300 on Textbroker in one day!).
    .-= netlexis´s last blog ..Find Your Online Writing Fit =-.

10. Kidgas says:

I stopped writing for eHow in October of last year. I just couldn’t gain any enthusiasm for the site when I lost a couple articles in a sweep. I always suspected that something was up so didn’t want to waste a bunch of time.

Instead, I have been focusing on HubPages the past few months. Unfortunately, my revenue has been fairly disappointing. I am hoping it is simply a seasonal effect with people getting outside and enjoying the nicer weather of spring.

It doesn’t sound like I am really ready to tackle CE’s and put up with the hassle. It is just as well since I have plenty of other things to do.
    .-= Kidgas´s last blog ..Writing on the Road =-.

11. Christina Crowe says:

I fully agree. Since eHow switched to the Demand Studios platform, I stopped writing for them. I already had a Demand Studios account before the switch, and I still write articles for Demand Studio’s upfront pay. However, I’m not going through the same copy editor mess for my eHow articles.

Instead, I’ve decided to move on to InfoBarrel and possibly Suit101.

12. prerna says:

Really sad about eHow but am glad you’re moving on to better things.. Was just wondering if you would want to try one of your experiments with S101? Hoping you would. Will really serve to inspire and motivate all of us.
    Best wishes always.
    .-= prerna´s last blog ..10 Simple Things to Do With 10 Minutes =-.

Prerna, that’s a thought. Although, my eHow experiment wouldn’t work very well at Suite, but there’s always something else to try…

13. Eve says:

I didn’t even bother with my new account, since I’d decided to stop writing directly for eHow a few sweeps ago – but WOW what an experiment that was for you! Same three articles, and using one account caused a lot of frustration. I swear, those DS CEs will be the death of me!
    .-= Eve´s last blog ..The Rise and Fall of My Work Ethic =-.

14. Elizabeth says:

Hey Felicia,

Question: How do you remove an article from eHow? Do you just edit it to be blank?

Thanks! -Elizabeth
    .-= Elizabeth´s last blog ..Use Bukisa to Increase Page Views on Other Writing Sites =-.

Hey Elizabeth,

When you go to edit your article, click on “Expanded View.” At the bottom of the Expanded View page there is an option to delete the article.

15. Shannon says:

I’m like you, Felicia, in that I have yet to use my eHow-turned-DS account. Instead I simply use my previously established DS account. Also, I’ve never submitted a revenue share article on the DS site.

The eHow forums are now like a ghost town and I’m wondering if it’s a matter of time before Demand shuts eHow down. Pardon my tin foil hat, but everything the “conspiracy theorists” foretold has come true, thus far. I don’t know, it just feels weird on the site these days.

I never made enough money to care if eHow disappears or not, but I know there are plenty of people who do. All I can say with certainty is it’s always a good idea to back up your published writing, so you can place it elsewhere. Anything’s possible with eHow, so be prepared.

16. Lauren says:

Hey Felicia,

Like you, I’ve been relying pretty heavily on DS. Has anyone else experienced some sluggishness with the website, or is it just the janky internet at my current locale?
    .-= Lauren´s last blog ..Variety is the Spice of Life =-.