Oh No, Here She Goes Again with Her Stats…

| May 4, 2010

Checking StatisticsWhen I don’t feel like writing, I play around with stats. From the number of stat related posts here on NJFM, you can see that it’s quite often that I don’t feel like writing.

When I look at my stats I always wonder how much more money I would be making if I wrote more often and stopped playing with stats.

Residual Income Keeps Growing

I won’t bore you with the monthly ups and downs of residual income. I’ll just share my beginning and end of the year average daily rate. The rate is calculated by dividing the number of days in the month by the amount of residual income earned in that month. I use a spreadsheet to track my earnings.

The numbers speak for themselves:

Month 2007 2008 2009 2010
January $.70 $14.38 $32.07 $55.32
December $10.20 $30.73 $50.29 Who knows?

Back in January of 2007 I averaged .70 a day in residual income. I make more in one day now than I earned for the entire month of January, 2007. I wish I could say the increases are always steady but they aren’t. There are some months where the numbers drop slightly (or not so slightly), but in the long run, the numbers end up bouncing back.

Here’s an example: In October of 2009 I went from a daily average of $53.11 down to $45.66 in November. That was a big drop, but the trend didn’t last. Similarly, March of 2010 my average was $61 per day but last month it dropped to $59.33 a day (a much smaller drop, but a drop nonetheless).

The one thing I’m pretty sure about is that by December, my average daily residual income rate will be higher than it was in January. That seems to be the way online residual income works.

Stick with it

If you have read more than 5 posts on this blog, you can guess what I’m going to say next…

Stick with it. It doesn’t happen over night but it does happen. If you learn from my mistakes, maybe you’ll earn more money faster.

Tags: , ,

Category: Earning Money, Motivation, Residual Income

1. Nida Sea says:

I’m a little confused as to how residual income works or how to even get started. Do I just join different residual income article sites and submit different articles? I’m still trying to work out the details. I’ll hunt about on here to find something that may click in my head.

– Nita

Nida Sea, You might have to go back to the beginning (of this blog). Check out my first blog post made in March of 2008. It also links to my second post which should help you to understand the concept and how I got started with residual income.

2. Beelissa says:

Thanks for the encouragement.

I noticed that at least two of your recent posts mention things you do when you “don’t feel like writing.”

If I only wrote when I felt like it, I’d never do any writing at all. I mostly write from sheer financial need.
    .-= Beelissa´s last blog ..New Year’s Resolution =-.

Beelissa, that’s why I like residual income. When I’m in the mood to write, I write enough articles to carry me through the drought. Then, when I don’t feel like writing, I do behind the scene stuff which also gives me more to write about when I feel like writing.

Believe me, the financial need is there, but I’ve learned over the years that when the writing mood is right, I’m extremely prolific (my voice recognition software is a big help). When I’m not in the mood to write, not only is it difficult to write, but whatever I write just doesn’t come out right.

I’ve learned to stop fighting nature and to go with the flow. I spent too many years as a tech writer forcing myself to write. I promised I wouldn’t do that again if I didn’t have to.

3. Elvenrunelord says:

$55 a day is impressive when you have been doing upfront pay stuff as well.

I’ve about quit writing for the content mills and branched out into developing my own blog networks.

Its taking more time, but I’ll never have to worry about someone 86’s my articles 4-5 years down the road, and as time passes these internet properties will become more and more valuable.
    .-= Elvenrunelord´s last blog ..The Future of the Library System – The Beginnings of the National Digital Library Initiative =-.

Elvenrunelord, that’s a key aspect to making money online. I’ve been spending a bit more time developing my own blogs/sites. I guess my ‘upfront pay’ is the writing I do for sites other than my own. Once I get my own sites to a point where they are really bringing in consistent income, I’ll slowly back away from writing for mills too.

Currently only about 1/3 of my income is from my own sites. I’m working on changing that percentage. Elvenrunelord, you really hit he nail on the head!

4. Bristolboy says:

Those are some terrific numbers – well done. Shows me where I could potentially be this time next year if only I put the work in! I have seen growth since I have started attempting to earn online but it was no where near the growth you have seen!

5. Deanna says:

I always enjoy reading your stats. I do have a totally unrelated question for you though; have you continued to stay writing for eHow through Demand Studios, and if so, how is it going? I’ve been wondering how difficult/easy it is to get eHow articles past the editors and how long it takes. Keep up the great stats!
    .-= Deanna´s last blog ..Sticking with Examiner.com =-.

Deanna, I occasionally write a few articles for DS, but they are the DS titles. I haven’t tried writing eHow articles through DS.

Synthia/Lauren, (for some reason, Synthia, your comment got caught in spam) I feel I have to say that I didn’t concentrate 100% on residual writing when I first got started. I wrote for up front pay and spent a little time writing some residual articles. In the beginning it’s pretty much impossible to survive off of residual income. You can only do that exclusively if you don’t need the money to survive.

Although my residual income is coming along nicely, I still write a few articles here and there for DS.

6. Lauren says:

Thank you so much for your blog. I’ve been committed to freelancing since January, and it’s really inspired me to push through and keep working. As a stay at home mom and student, I needed income that would allow me to stay with my daughter, and writing has helped me accomplish that. I was wary of relying on my writing abilities to provide for us, but your blog has shown me that it is more than possible. While I’m not where I want to be yet, I’m getting closer every day. I’ve had to rely on upfront payment for the most part up to now, but as I get on more financially stable ground, I intend to start putting more emphasis on residual based writing. Again, thank you for your inspiration, and keep up the good work!

7. Synthia says:

Very inspiring. I’m only using AC for residuals and only have 42 articles so far. I’m trying to concentrate on upfront paying gigs first (mostly at TB) because I really need the money since I recently made the decision to leave my job and do freelance writing (while I pursue my career in fiction).

I probably should focus on passive income more. I know that’s smart. But I just don’t have that luxury right now. I’m still trying to meet daily money goals I set for myself and my fiction daily goals. That takes all my hours.

Eventually, I’ll try to use the weekends for residual writing…. I don’t know… I need a strategy that works for me.

Maybe I’ll start off with just one residual project a day… put if no one clicks, I’ll feel my time is so wasted. I have some past AC articles that once got clicks but no longer do. So, I think some topics have a life span and I’m still trying to figure out the ones that survive the future.
    .-= Synthia´s last blog ..Defending Shock Art: M.I.A "Born Free" Video Still Available Despite You Tube Ban. Watch it Here =-.

8. Julie says:

Those are excellent numbers! Congratulations!
    .-= Julie´s last blog ..April Earnings at eHow =-.