Another Writing Site: Factoidz

| April 8, 2010

Please read the update at the bottom of this post.

I recently came across another freelance writing site called Factoidz. It’s an online revenue sharing site. It’s a relatively young site, but it seems to be growing rather nicely.  Here are a few of the stats:

Site Domain Name Registered: 7/5/2008
Current Page rank: 4
Current Alexa Rank: 27,921

Factoidz is unlike Bukisa or Associated Content does not automatically approve new writer applications. Similar to Suite 101, you have to apply, provide writing samples and select areas of expertise. You are not pigeon holed into writing articles strictly in your areas of expertise. It’s just Factoidz’ way of getting a general idea of the type of content to expect.

After submitting an application, it takes a few days for the Factoidz staff to review and approve your application.

Writer Levels at Factoidz

Upon acceptance writers carry the title “Factoidz Writer.” Initially all articles are reviewed by the Factoidz staff prior to publication. Over time, the editors review each writer’s body of work and some writers are promoted to Staff Writer. Staff Writers enjoy the benefits of having their articles automatically published (no need for editor approval) and a bio at the end of each article which can include one link. To be considered for a Staff Level position you must have a minimum of 20 published articles.

How to Make Money at Factoidz

Writers make money on a combination of page views, ad revenue and article popularity. As with any online content writing site, the more legitimate traffic the articles get, the more money you make. Although Factoidz does not set a minimum article count requirement like Suite 101 or Examiner does, we all know by now that the more you write, the more you earn.

Factoidz also has a referral program. The way it works is that the referrer will receive $10 for each referred writer that reaches the Staff Writer level upgrade (of course the links I place here are referral links so if you sign up I’ll get credit).

How and When Factoidz Pays

Payment is made towards the end of the month via PayPal. When I signed up to become a writer, I was not asked for a social security number, so I would assume that this opportunity is open to international writers also.

My Initial Opinion of Factoidz

I have yet to write an article for Factoidz but I was impressed with the professionalism of their application process and the layout of the writer’s dashboard. Factoidz has moved up a notch on my “To Do” list. Will it replace the eHow void? I don’t know, but I think I’m going to have fun trying to find out.

Post Update 1/26/2011:

There has been much debate and controversy on this blog regarding Factoidz.  Personally, I wrote one article for Factoidz, but have not written any since.  There is a 6-month deactivation stipulation with Factoidz.  If you fail to write anything for 6 months your writer status is downgraded to Member status.  Along with the downgrade go your earnings.

Since my ultimate goal is to spend less time on the internet (not more time writing), I’ve decided not to write for Factoidz.  Please take the time to read both sides of the story when it comes to writing for Factoidz and draw your own conclusion.

Tags: , , ,

Category: Factoidz, Legitimate, Opportunities

Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she's not writing or commenting on NJFM, she's either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites which include Tidbits and Stuff, BLULOW, A Dose of Health and a few other sites/blogs scattered around the internet.

1. Julie Hume says:

I never called Factoidz a Ponzi scheme nor made any racial slurs against Michael Quoc (and I have not seen any such comments elsewhere). I don’t recall any article of mine contained advertorial or affiliate links of any kind. You could perhaps take a stand against the quality of my writing but that would be subjective and when I was there I had good placement in humor and pregnancy related channels. Possibly others. I can’t remember.

My problems stemmed from the impossibility of getting a direct answer from admin – on just about anything; changes to TOS and the removal of awkward questions (related to payments, statistics and traffic)from the forum.

As he has been gracious enough to make an appearance here I’d like to ask Mike how I violated the TOS and why he will not,’as a professional courtesy’, remove my content.

There are others who had bad experiences at Factoidz. Some are carrying on correspondance with him directly, others have retreated to regroup and others have like me, simply chalked it up to bad experience and more or less moved on. Most are not talking about it here.

I don’t have the time or inclination to chase Factoidz through the courts for the ha’pennies MQ makes on the articles of mine that are still up there. I do feel I was taken to the cleaners though and I think it is fair enough to voice that if for no other reason than to let other writers know to be on their guard if they decide to write at Factoidz.

Most especially I’d like them to consider how ethical the site must be in the first place when it ripped its own TOS practically verbatim from another writing site and that once you have published an article on Factoidz, you will never be able to get it taken down. That means should you decide to leave, MQ retains your articles and all revenue from them. Forever.

If you wanted to resubmit your best pieces to any other writing site you could not if the new site wanted exclusivity. Generally those are the writing sites that pay the best money.

So overall, it is great that FZ has worked out well for you, Amanda. In saying so here you help balance the debate. However, it did not work out well for me, for Sara, and Kaylar and for others who are not presently participating in this thread.

I think this post and its comments have given enough information on both sides of the Factoidz debate. It provides enough information and links to information for anyone considering writing for Facrtoidz.

This thread is now closed to further comments.

2. Amanda says:

Hi, I found the Google Group: Factoidzvictims. I guess they are still waiting for people to join.

Kaylar, I saw that you and A.Fool posted this same Ponzi warning on Bukisa and Triond a while ago. Personally, I thought that the fact that you posted Michael’s photo and used racial slurs about his Asian heritage to be a bit offensive. If you have a problem with Factoidz, why not take legal action, or at least report it to the better bus bureau?

I’m a long time writer with Factoidz with over 150 articles there, and never had a problem. There were times when they changed their setup and people were upset at some of those changes, but never have they done anything wrong or unethical.

I also vaguely remember Sara Valor on Factoidz, and she did post many advertorial pieces which I thought was inappropriate for the site. It appears that some writers are spreading some negative rumours about the site. Too bad, because Factoidz is actually a pretty professionally run site, and I earn more there than on other sites.

Just my two cents.

3. Factoidz Victim says:

There is a Group on Facebook; fairly new, called Factoidz Victims which is open, so people can continue this discussion.

4. kaylar says:

What Mike says is not true. People didn’t do anything to be dropped to Member; they just wrote some really good stuff that he didn’t want to pay for.

The earnings on Factoidz are less than on Triond. With Triond you get the site pay plus adsense. I usually make between $15 – $20 on Triond and usually $20 – $25 on Adsense for the same articles.

Most sites tell you how much per view; i.e. 6 hits = 1c. Not Factoidz. Secondly, there are no ‘low’ and ‘high’ hits. If you write in Gomestic you know it is 6 hits = 1c.
    If you write in Telewatcher it is 20 hits = 1c. So you know before you put finger to keyboard.

5. Thanks, Felicia. I’m a little sad that base earnings (pageview earnings) went down a bit, even after adding a few new articles, but it wasn’t many new articles added, and this can happen on any writing site, if writers do not bother to keep marketing their articles from time to time. This has been/is an interesting thread, and your site is very useful. Keep up the good work.

6. I last commented in this thread on 8 October. I joined Factoidz in late July, and after seeing the thread of comments here said I would still stick around to see how it goes. I’m still on Factoidz although haven’t had much time to add many new articles.

Joined late July and added 2 articles
    activity earnings $1.11 base earnings $0.21 total $1.32

End of August 2010
    previous 2 articles plus 6 new ones
    activity earnings $2.45 base earnings $0.89 total $3.34
    (the previous comment I left I said total $4.41 my error)

End of September
    previous 8 plus 10 new
    A $3.55 B $1.30 total $4.94

End of October
    previous 18 plus 8 new
    A $3.33 B $2.21 total $5.54

End of November
    previous 26 plus 3 new
    A $0.97 B $1.92 total $2.89

End of December
    previous 29 plus 1 new
    A $0.30 B $1.82 total $2.12

I received all these amounts in my PayPal account at the end of each month.

I’m fairly happy on Factoidz. I just once emailed them to confirm if the republishing time period allowed was 3 days later or 30 days later as the site mentioned both in two different places, and never got a reply, but to be on the safe side I just republished my articles elsewhere only 30 days later, but was also curious to know if anybody had their accounts suspended for republishing elsewhere after only 3 days. It is clearer now, that one should definitely only republish articles after 30 days, as it says so when you are about to publish an article, but having two different rules in two different places on the site earlier was confusing.

Also, it would be nice if there was a forum of sorts, where simple questions could be answered quickly by other members. I believe there used to be a forum before I joined.

Round about the end of the month and for a few days after, earnings do seem to go up and down while the system settles into the new month, and I do noit consider that earnings are true until about the 7th or 8th of the month, so as not to wind up upset.

Otherwise, I have not had any major problems with Factoidz and I enjoy the site, and will be publishing more articles there.

Regards Mike Quoc’s comment about people having their status reduced due to writing non factual articles is permanent or if they get a chance to again build up to staff writer.

Thanks for your input Teresa. It helps to shed some light on Factoidz. As far as the reduction in status, I’m not sure. Hopefully someone from Factoidz can answer that question.

7. Felicia says:

I feel compelled to add a comment here regarding Sara Valor and Mike Quoc’s comment. For the record, Sara Valor vehemently disagrees with Mike’s comment and is standing firm that she did not violate Factoidz’ TOS.

I don’t know what actually happened between Sara Valor, Factoidz and Mike Quoc, only they know for sure.

When writing for a content site that you do not own, you’ve always got to remember that he who owns the sandbox gets to make the rules. If you don’t like the rules, pick up your toys and find another sandbox. Better yet, get a box, fill it with sand and create your own sandbox.

As freelance writers, we have to make our own decision on when to stay and when to walk away.

8. Mike says:

Hello everyone, this is Michael Quoc, the operator of Factoidz. I was quite surprised and a bit horrified to see this discussion about our site! We take our users’ feedback seriously, and while are admittedly not 100% perfect, we try our best to ensure a great experience for everyone.

I wanted to shed some light on some and provide some context to some of the comments being expressed here. One complaint we’re hearing is that Writers are upset that they lose their Writer status on Factoidz due to inactivity. Factoidz maintains a policy that Writers must be active and publish at least one article every 6 months to keep their Writer status. We have chosen to have an aggressive payout program for articles our writers publish, and in exchange we set a high bar which includes strict content quality requirements, an application process to become a Writer, and requirements to remain active with us to keep your Writer badge.

Our system might not be a good fit for everyone, but the writers who are active with us love us, and many have been with us for over 2 years, since we first started.

Some of the more negative posts here are from users who violated the Factoidz Terms of Service. Specifically, Sara_Valor was once a loyal user who violated our terms for including promotional ads in her articles. After repeated warnings we suspended her account. She asked that we delete all of her content, and we obliged as a professional courtesy. It seems, however that she is still unhappy and has been writing dozens of negative articles about us. Sara, we ask that you address your issue with us through the Better Business Bureau so we can have an open and fair to your complaints. It is difficult to have a fair resolution when you are not addressing us directly, but on blogs and articles around the web.

Other users have lost Writer privileges by publishing articles of non-factual nature, which is in opposition to our editorial guidelines. The bottom line is, we have a certain set of guidelines to ensure the best site experience, and writers must adhere to those to keep their accounts. Any other professional writing site will have the same set of rules.

I do sincerely feel bad if *anyone* has a negative experience with us. Our goal is to provide a very high quality experience for our writers and our readers, and to make it possible to writers to actually earn a decent income from writing. Unfortunately, this means we have to maintain some tough standards across the site, which may make some people unhappy.

I would suggest that anyone who has heard anything negative about Factoidz come see it with your own eyes and ask some of the writers who have been there for a long time and get their perspectives.

In our effort to continuously improve the site, we have recently launched many new features, including upfront bonuses for all content published as well as Product Review assignments which pay up to $20 upfront in addition to traffic based earnings. With these new changes, writers on Factoidz can earn even more than they have in the past for doing what they love most – writing and sharing knowledge.

Felicia, if you need an account upgrade, please stop by and let me know through the contact box. I will personally ensure you get your upgrade.

To any other writers on Factoidz – if you have lost your Writer status due to inactivity, you will see a message when you login to your account along with a link to restart your account. Please remember to post new content at least once every 6 months to keep your account active.

Mike, thanks for taking the time to read the comments and address our concerns.

You’ve posted quite a bit of information and it will take me a bit to digest it all. It sounds like you have made some positive changes. I’ll review the information and revisit my Factoidz account this week. It sounds like it might be worth giving Factoidz another try.

9. MrsB says:

I just applied to this place, then, before publishing anything, stumbled across your blog. You just saved me from making a horrible mistake! Thanks!!
    MrsB recently posted…Full Body Scan or Pat DownMy Profile

10. Julie Hume says:

I wrote a number of articles for Factoidz and then started asking a number of questions in the forum. It became obvious that tricky questions were being ignored or blatently deleted. Tricky questions like… why was money deducted from my account?

In the end I deleted all my articles but Quoc just reuploaded them and removed my member name – those that he could anyway. Some he did not have archived so could not republish. So now, my articles are up on his site, he is earning money on them and I don’t even have a credit. Look:

It doesn’t look like there is anything I can do about it either. I gave up trying TBH, I’ve got more to do with my time than worry about this piece of pond slime. I just want to add my voice to those warning others off. If you are thinking of writing for Factoidz – don’t. You’ll get screwed.
    Julie Hume recently posted…Obscure Tenerife Beauty- Hiding in Plain SightMy Profile

11. kaylar says:

The phone num. is a cell. there’s addresses in San Fransico and Pacifica

You do a Zabasearch. There are a number of Quoc’s seem to be a Vietnamese family.

12. kaylar says:

Imagine this is a publishing site. Hundreds of people post articles. There is One (1) Employee? One(1) person? Yah. This is further proof that all Factoidz exists for is to make Quoc rich.

13. kaylar says:

Name: Factoidz
    Phone: (415) 298-1803
    Address: San Francisco, CA 94110
    Original Business Start Date: October 2008
    Principal: Mr. Michael L. Quoc, CEO
    Customer Contact: Mr. Michael L. Quoc, CEO – (415) 298-1803
    Email Address:
    Entity: Sole Proprietor
    Employees: 1
    Type of Business: Publishers – Directory & Guide

14. kaylar says:

Just about all the Cheerleaders in May are now Members. And the revenue has gone so far down, it’s senseless. Even Triond pays more.

15. Wendy says:

Wow, Felicia thanks for posting your original article and to you and everyone for the follow-up feedback. I just found a link for Factoidz on a reputable job-posting site and before finding this string expected it to be a valid service. One thing that made me slightly wary is that the ‘About’ section includes no tangible information about the company, who is behind it, where they are located, how long they have been established, no personal voice. Thanks to these comments I won’t consider writing for them, but I’m glad I discovered this great blog :)
    Wendy recently posted…Elegant paper sculptures from Jeff NishinakaMy Profile

16. Sara Valor says:

Found this, the link to file a complaint with the BBB

*Sorry about the extra post Felicia, I didn’t think about this until after posting the last.

17. Sara Valor says:

I just found this in Google search, it is something brand new, just a few weeks old, a covering of butt no doubt.

I’d recommend all the Factoidz writers who find themselves in this situation to contact every resource available to them.

Also, you can contact not only the BBB (and you really should consider doing so), but the
    American Civil Liberties Union

California Attorney General Website

Here is a Sample of Compliant Letter for the site above

*I am also posting this info as a hubpage comment, and continuing here with this comment so they are not both duplicate comments.

It seems that many writers do not know what to do or how to handle this. I simply did some research and found all sorts of info about the way Factoidz was handling the writers and rather than allow Factoidz have the control of my situation, I took control of my own copyrights and made him take them down and delete my account by telling him I would never shut up about my experiences with the site, he didn’t want that so he let me go.

I’m suppose to shut up now about it. In some sense, I will, I got what I wanted, which was my right. So, I’m sitting still kinda, as far as my own work goes, but if I see that another writer needs some useful info or resources, I will not shut up for helping them if I can.

18. nico says:

The owner of factoidz that is Mike Quac…home address, or phone number..

Nico, I don’t know the name or address for the owner of Factoidz. All I’ve found was the domain registration info:
      Factoidz LLC
      PO BOX 40193
      San Francisco, California 94150
      United States

Try researching the San Francisco County Clerk’s website. You might find additional info there.

19. nico says:

Does anyone know the owners home address? Or his phone number? Please post so all know.

20. kaylar says:

Actually figures Factoidz….2,018 hits, SEO rated V.High

$0.12 TOTAL PAID FOR 2,018 HITS = $0.24

Triond; actual figures….

1,547 Hits; paid at the highest level: $7.39

21. kaylar says:

There are sites popping up all over the Web; Google Factoidz+Scam or Factoidz+ripoff or Factoidz+fraud. What I think happened is that those who joined early this year were getting a lot of money from accounts of people made ‘member’ who get no revenue, so as to bring in more people to use as shills. Hence the person whom you spoke to in like February would have gotten on, gotten cash, run up and down, brought in more people.

By April, however, the number of people becoming aware of the Ponzi cut into earnings, so that less were joining, and those who weren’t being paid were reporting the situation.

Quac then decided to change how people were paid and instituted some SEO thing so that you could have 1k hits and nothing while someone else had 100 hits and got $2.00.

As Factoidz name is Sh*t on most writing sites, (and reddit often won’t take a factoidz item) more people are avoiding the site. Anyone who reads our story here can not possibly join that Ponzi unless they get pleasure out of being abused.

I am not surprised at Quac and would like to know why he no longer works at Yahoo…I think it would make good reading.

The three permanent shills that I am aware of have been a bit reticent of late, although the female is acting as a plant on sites like this, so as to report to her Master.

What should have set off my Ponzi Detector after a month was how is it possible for Triond to pay 1c per 6 hits, Bukisa 1c per 4 hits and Bukisa to pay something like 1c per hit when all have virtually the same ads, (Triond has more than anyone but lets you join adsense so you get paid 2x). Where does the $ come from on Factoidz? It comes from my articles which haven’t been paid for.

22. Sara Valor says:

Thanks Kaylar, I appreciate that and I understand what you mean.
    Just reading your post above, I’m wondering how the payments are figured. It seems that even those may not be even doled out fairly between the writers, since my payments vary from your post above mentioning 12 articles.

I had 221 articles up at the end; however, within the first few days of joining that site I had up at least 80 just in my gemstone and jewelry articles, that I had copies to in email to myself dated back to 2006.

I’m placing this here so we can compare, I copied all the paypal stubs I have in my Factoidz folder in my email account, here they are.

Transaction Date Amount:

Aug 3, 2009 $16.78 USD

Sept 1, 2009 $20.09 USD

Oct 1, 2009 $51.67 USD

Nov 12, 2009 $52.48 USDS

Jan 4, 2010 $100.00 USD – Factoidz Genius Grant

January 2010 $68.10 USD

February 2010 $47.17 USD

March 2010 $67.28 USD

April 2010 $31.49 USD

May 2010 $41.39 USD

June 2010 $54.09 USD

July 2010 $51.97 USD

I know that the Aug. and Sept. payments noted on the site via my user panel as just a bit more than $50 each, but I did not receive them.

Talking with Mike made me literally ill awhile back, it was because I worked nearly non-stop day and night writing, not just for that site, but for other assignments as well. Once I got to feeling better and it took a month, I began making copies of all my work on that site, because of a computer crash. (Although, I realized later that I still had copies to myself in the email box of my gemstone and jewelry articles, I’d be happy to send one to anyone who may doubt this)

After doing so, and knowing how he treats and talks to people, I went at him like his mom taking the bull by the horns. I took control of what is Mine, which is My Right, since this site violated My Personal TOS a long while back. I talked to him and treated him the way he treats others.

I recommend others do the same, although he thinks he can shut me up by waving his little I use to work for Yahoo flag and threatening to have me monitored. I’d recommend he read my request again, it is open ended (I intended it that way) and he never made any conditions to it or even asked me about it, since this is what he is basing it on. I did to him what he did to us, I let him assume, just like he let us assume, and he did.

To his threats, I say, come on with it, since I will be able to tell even more people about the Truth of the matter, according to my experiences with the site.

I recommend that any freelance writer first send a copy of their work to themselves in an email account they consider and use as a business account. This should give you the ownership of your copyrights, before placing them on any article submission site, especially if you find out later it is a scam. Sit on them a day or three before submitting to any site.

Felicia, I think you made a very wise choice by changing the status of the site on your site.
    Sara Valor recently posted…Sara-Valor- I would rather regret somethiing that I said than to regret something that I didnt Unknown Thanks Carl- great quote!My Profile

23. kaylar says:

Sara Stop Beating Yourself UP!!!!! You didn’t know. I didn’t know. I was told about Factoidz by one of the permanent ‘pimps’ and went on and after writing like 50 articles I was made Staff Writr. I got like $60 one month, and I was all over the place…
    There was a time I would have posted the most wonderful things about the site…just as you did…

Let us be very analytical. We are told there is a site, we go over, read the TOS, maybe don’t, apply, submit, see what happens. Like the way our articles look on Factoidz. ( more professional than the other sites) We get a cheque. No. It’s not for 50c, it is for $49. Huh? You have 500 articles on Triond and get $8.00, you have 189 on Bukisa and made $1.34 You have 12 articles on Factoidz and just got a cheque for $49? WHeeeee! Get rich quick! So you start publishing like crazy, and now you’re a staff writer, and you’re #1 Expert in this and #8 Expert in that…WOW!!!!

So you tell people; “Look at me!” And they do, and they join. And then, suddenly, yesterday you were a staff writer and got a cheque for $60 today you’re a writer, and when you open your mouth, you are now a Member and get 0.

3,235 hits, revenue = 0.

Where’s the money going? The money is going to top up the accounts of those newbies you brought in.

As with any Ponzi there comes a point in which the money being taken by the guy who runs the Ponzi leaves so little for the members that more and more are unpaid or paid tiny fractions of what they are owed.

So Theresa who joins now sees 43c in a day. I used to log on at 10 am and see like $10.15, and by 2 pm that was $17.34 and by 6 pm that was $27.00.

Clearly, the Ponzi run by Mike Quac is spinning downwards.

24. Sara Valor says:

Thank you Felicia, I really appreciate someone saying that, I really do. :) Thanks!

25. Sara Valor says:

Thanks for the link and definition, I suppose by the second definition, others may have considered me a shill, but I Do Not and if I was, I have seen the error of my ways.

One of the things that bother me about all this is leading others to the slaughter.

Honestly, if I had known what this really was or what it was becoming by the constantly changing of the site’s TOS, (which I’ve never had any type of control of) I would have never, ever promoted the site or anything on it. I’ve lead 41 freelance writers (associates) into this mess and I Feel Really Bad about that.

Sara, I’m sure when you promoted Factoidz, you believed it was a legitimate site. At first it appeared to be so. I alerted my readers to the site too. However, after writing for them, I shared my experience and advised folks to exercise caution.

It doesn’t sound like you were out for gain. You genuinely wanted to help other freelance writers.

When Factoidz pulls a bait and switch, that’s out of your control. I’m sure the other writers will soon realize that too.

26. Sara Valor says:

I actually did the research on factoidz before joining, using the name + scam before I ever joined the site. I found nothing like I am finding now while using the search engines like Google, Yahoo and Bing. I think that back then the site was too young for there to be anything mentioning a scam. There was at that time, maybe no one experiencing what we are now.

No one to warn us away from the scam back then at all.

The first I’ve heard of the “shills” was on someone else’s Factoidz scam article, maybe even in the comment section, not sure.
    However, my point with this is that I was never a shill, (my way of thinking is that is by some sort of contract or a shill gets paid in some way, I could be wrong, but that is how I think it might be).

I considered myself one of it’s cheerleaders, since I actually thought the site was a good place for freelance writers. I never googled for Factoidz to spy on others and I never reported back to the owner of that site. I simply thought back then that it was a great place for freelance writers. I was wrong.

However, I refuse to be “punished” for telling the Truth! I refuse to be Bullied by anyone for telling the Truth! I refuse to be associated with what is going on at Factoidz right now and I made Mike take down all my work from the site.
    (I think that if he had thought he was actually in the right about that, he would have never, ever taken my work down.)

Others can do as they see fit, I can understand why they would do either. That is their choice. I’m glad I’m out and I’m glad someone bigger is looking into all this mess.

Definition of a Factoid – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
    Was it some joke all along?

Oh my. With all this “shill” talk I had to look it up on It’s not a flattering term and I wouldn’t ever want to be a shill.

I’m a bit confused about the whole Factoidz issue. When it comes to writing for new sites, sometimes, as you mention Sara, there’s not enough online information to make an informed decision. When that happens, you have to do your own research. In my case, I wrote one article, saw a few cents, they disappeared and so did I. I realized that Factoidz wasn’t the site for me so I looked to greener pastures.

Hopefully there are folks earning money there. It didn’t work for me and it seems that I’m not the only one. My suggestion is to cut your losses an move on. Sara, it sounds like you made a wise move. There are plenty of truly legitimate online writing sources available. You don’t have to put up with the shenanigans going on over at Factoidz.

27. I’m still on Factoidz (see comment further above). I joined the last week of July. At the end of July I received about $1 in my PayPal account for having added two articles. During August I added 6 more articles and at the end of August I received $4.41 in my PayPal account. September I added 10 more articles and at the end of September received $4.94. Although that was only $0.53 cents higher for all my effort, I’m still hanging around, and have added two more articles so far this month. Why? 2 main reasons: Some people have been on Factoidz a while, and I’m curious to find out why they’re still there. 2nd reason: 30 days after posting an article there, I republish it elsewhere, on 2, sometimes as many as 4 places, that accept previously published articles (like Helium, Bukisa, Constant Content, and one of my own sites or blogs.) Therefore, although the earnings for me are so far next to nothing on Factoidz, I make money from just one article in more than just one way, so I don’t mind that extra (example) $0.53 for articles I’m also earning from elsewhere, even if it is a small amount, it’s still more than if I totally left Factoidz. I also like the members of Factoidz, and once I’m upgraded (if that happens) to staff member, people will also see my website link, what I do etc, and may follow me elsewhere on other writing sites etc, or give me freelance advice etc. So, who knows, in a few months’ time I may decide otherwise, but for now, I’m hanging in there.
    Teresa Schultz recently posted…Best Reviewer Review – a top 3- top 5- top 10 and top 20 site by the owner of She Told MeMy Profile

28. kaylar says:

Factoidz also has a posse of ‘spies’ which runs from one site to another, constantly ‘googling’ ‘Factoidz’. If you write anything uncomplimentary, they will punish you on Factoidz. This is not a joke. Triond, Bukisa may pay pennies but they pay and best of all are contactable. If you have a problem you can contact a human being.

I was one of the ‘shills’. I joined, I was making money, then suddenly I was attacked, and dropped to writer then member. My articles get thousands of hits and I get nothing.

I am not the only one, there are hundreds of people all over the world. Of course, if you live in California you would be in a better position to get your money as Mike Quac, the ‘owner’ lives in California and can be found with a simple Zabasearch.

29. Factoidz writer says:

Since posting my last comment, my total earnings dropped another three cents. I’m now down to $1.02. This is crazy.

30. Factoidz writer says:

I’m afraid Factoidz makes me a little depressed.

I’ve been publishing and became a “Staff writer” after publishing 23 articles.

I started this month with “Base Earning” of almost a dollar. I posted an article and saw that I got 25 cents for publishing it in my “Activity bonus”.

I spent a whole day and published 2 more articles. I had made almost a dollar that day.

Then the next day, it’s all just gone and I’m at “Base Earnings” of 50 something cents.

I published more articles but now I get only 9 cents “activity bonus” per article instead of 25.

Then this morning really took the cake. I published an article, and afterwards found out that Factoidz deducted 4 cents.

I’m now losing money every time I publish on Factoidz??

It’s obvious their “reporting” on their dashboard is next to worthless because it’s nothing to go on – money can disappear at any time.

I’m so sorry they aren’t a stable place with rules of how to earn and when and for what you actually earn. I’m now moving my writing talents over somewhere else, just don’t know where yet.

That really stinks. When I first signed up for Factoidz, I wrote one article. It earned a few cents and then the money was gone. Around the same time, I wrote a review and placed it on Although I haven’t earned much at Shvoong, my money didn’t disappear. It sits there until I earn enough to reach payout.

Sounds like Shvoong is a better alternative to Factoidz if you want to make and keep your earnings.

31. Sara Valor says:

Before you join the so called revenue sharing website Factoidz, you really need to do some research into it.

Here is a good example:
    Sara Valor recently posted…Talking about Hurricane Katrina 5 Years LaterMy Profile

32. Bellatwix says:

I’ve submitted articles to Factoidz for a few months now and payments have been sent to my paypal account every month without fail so I’m quite happy. I got the $10 for my referral and am now staff writer.

33. Comments like some of the comments in this thread, and some reviews, made me nervous of joining Factoidz – but I joined about a month ago. I submitted two articles and received payment into my PayPal account at the end of that month (just a few days after joining.) I’ve submitted 6 more articles this month, and earnings are climbing steadily as I get more page views. The activity bonus earnings do seem to fluctuate, but the pageviews just climb slowly. I know some writers have been members at Factoidz for nearly two years already, and contunue to submit articles, and I’m going to stick around longer to find out why many are happy. Hopefully I’ll remain happy too.
    Teresa Schultz recently posted…What to Offer Freelance Writers on Your Planned New Writing SiteMy Profile

34. fiona says:

Factoidz seems to be a rip off to me so far – They sent me an email to say my payment would be coming shortly and when I queried why I hadn’t received it they said that I had to make sure that my Paypal address was right or I’d miss payments. They apparently have no way of tracking past payments at all. Triond, on the other hand, kept my money for months for me until Paypal was in place. Constant-Content also paid my money when asked.

35. kaylar says:

Factoidz is a perfect example of a Ponzi. In a Ponzi scheme the first batch of ‘investors’ gets double their money. They run around brining in dupes. Some of the dupes will get money, most will not.

The reason Factoidz can ‘pay’ so much higher is because they don’t pay. The newbie will get paid well, so as to encourage him/her to post more.

Triond, as bad as payment is, one can check their hits, one can check their Adsense, etc. On Factoidz you can get 1k hits, which will often be doctored so that yesterday you had a total of 3456 and today your month’s total is 2315.

36. My friend Chan wrote an article which garnered thousands of reads and did not make a penny from it, while I wrote one with less than 100 which made a nickel. Another site I do not trust is Examiner. I was referred there by a friend, but after I passed their test, qualified and published my first article, they refused to pay her her referral fee, so I refuse to write there. I have written at Triond since 2007 and get paid monthly.

.-= Judy Sheldon-Walker´s last blog ..Creeping Charlie: Friend or Foe? =-.

37. samison says:

I 100% agree with Kaylar. I am now persona non grata at Fz but they keep my articles and the revenue anyway.

38. kaylar says:

Factoidz is a must avoid. This is what they do; they begin you as Factoidz writer with no ability to edit/delete. After a time they raise you to Staff Writer…all this is arbitrary. As a Staff Writer you can edit and delete so you start posting like crazy. Then they drop you to Writer and then to Member and KEEP YOUR WORK and get paid for it. And you can’t even see how many hits you have.

Their TOS gives them ABSOLUTE OWNERSHIP of your Work; even Work they HAVE NOT PAID FOR.

Sorry to shout, but this information can not be emphasised enough.

39. samison says:

I have been writing for Factoidz for a while. There is a fear culture there. People are afraid to speak out in the forum, any dissenting threads are deleted and the single admin is most of the time not present at all.

The TOS is a rip off of hubpages almost word for word, no visitors statistics are released to the writers, the admin pays whatever he fels like and changes the rules on a whim.

If you are considering joining Factoidz, my advice is don’t. Join Infobarrel instead. There are friendly and helpful mods there and they are upfront about payment.

40. NLP says:

I am a Factoidz writer and have been for the past 2 years, ever since they started the site in 2008. I do not believe it is a scam at all; they underwent a few changes that caused some momentary blips in the tracking and payment, and have occasional had some downed servers, but I have always been getting payments without a problem. The site started out with paying $5 per article, then they decided to go the pay-per-click route. They first used google adsense, then found a different method more to their liking so that people could earn monthly instead of accruing a minimum amount of money before they could request a payment. I personally enjoy it like the way it is now. I get anywhere from $10-30 a month, depending on how many articles I write a month. I am a staff writer, have no referrals, and my articles seem to be viewed on a daily basis. No complaints here!

41. MBZ says:

I’ve been writing about Factoidz on my blog since last October, when I discovered them. I only wrote 5 articles for them, and have made about $25-30 so far, but only because $20 of that is from 2 writers I referred making Staff Writer.

Factoidz skipped paying me some referral fees under their old system (under a dollar, so I didn’t complain), and their dashboard doesn’t have anything that tracks your income, prior earnings, etc – it just disappears after a month. No running tally is available.

I *have* received all payments other than that one, although I may be wrong – there is no way to go back and reconcile what I received with what I earned.
    .-= MBZ´s last blog ..Cracked the $20 barrier on Suite =-.

MBZ, thanks for sharing your experience with them.

I’d really like to write for Factoidz because I’m looking for one more content site to add to my arsenal. I emailed them in an attempt to ease my concerns. I understand that all content sites have glitches, but I haven’t heard back from them as yet (that also concerns me).

If Factoidz gets back to me, then I’ll be ready to roll with them. Until then my inner voice tells me to hold off.

42. chan says:

Factoidz is not a good writing site. I’ve been cheated. Read my story here and feel free to leave your comment.

43. Aimee Larsen Stoddard says:

I wrote for Factoidz several months ago. I think the site had just gotten up and running. I experienced problems with the earnings reporting not being reliable–e.g., money disappeared from my account on several occassions. I also received only a $.05 payment of the approximate $1.00 I earned. Admittedly, I didn’t put much effort into the site or give it much of a shot, but I was turned off from the beginning. Despite repeated emails to Factoidz about the earnings reporting problems, I never got a response. I eventually asked for my account to be disabled. The request was honored after I hounded Factoidz for about a month. I hope they’ve got things together a bit better now.
    .-= Aimee Larsen Stoddard´s last blog ..Why Did Adolf Hitler and the Nazis Persecute Jehovah’s Witnesses? =-.

Aimee thanks for the heads up. I just wrote my first article for them yesterday. I’ll take it slow and make sure to document the earnings just in case.

44. Shannon says:

I will definitely check out Orato and Factoidz … diversification is key!
    .-= Shannon´s last blog ..We Support NY’s Proposed Beverage Tax — and Here’s Why =-.

45. Krista says:

I will check Orato out as well – thanks for the helpful tips!
    .-= Krista´s last blog ..How to get a Toddler to Stay in Bed at Night =-.

46. Bristolboy says:

A very useful idea and the fact that they appear to allow international writers is a bonus for me living in the UK.
    .-= Bristolboy´s last blog ..The importance of adding trackers to all Hubpages links =-.

47. Krista says:

This is interesting. Since I am Canadian I find it challenging to locate writing sites that pay well or share revenue. The two sites I enjoy most right now are Hubpages and Suite101 and I would love to try another site. I just started with Xomba and so far I haven’t had many hits on my xomblurbs but I am following their guidelines and will post 3-5 a day for three months to see what happens.

I will be checking Factoidz out! Thanks Felicia!
    .-= Krista´s last blog ..Pregnancy Myths and Folklore =-.

Krista, did you try Orato? I did a post on them a little while ago. They’re based in Canada and accept international writers.

Admittedly, I’ve only written 3 articles with Orato, but they did earn about $18 so far. I intend to add more articles there when I get a chance.