Let the Poaching Begin…

| April 7, 2010

The eHow upheaval is causing a feeding frenzy. Just imagine how happy some of the other, less popular (or even popular) content sites were to hear that there are so many disgruntled eHowers. They stand to gain an influx of new writers, content and hopefully readers.

I found it interesting to receive an email yesterday from a third party suggesting that I try Suite 101. I thought it was rather odd. Because the internet is such a small and intimate place, I choose not to identify the person or the company for which she works. However, here’s content of the email:

I have been reading your blog, which is a great resource. I saw your post on eHow today, and I wanted to send on some information on Suite 101, a site in the same vein as eHow, where writers can get published and have the guidance of an editor. It could be a good alternative if you don’t want to go the Demand Media route.

Suite 101 (www.suite101.com) is a great site for freelancers – you keep ownership of your articles, and get paid for the lifetime of the article, which is based on ad revenue share. Suite 101 has an editorial team that works with its writers to ensure quality and help writers hone their skills.

Please let me know if you’d be interested in getting more information, or if you want to talk with Suite 101 about their business practices and freelance writers.

I couldn’t help it, but I had to write back thanking the person for the solicitation, but I’ve been writing for Suite for 3 years and am currently the Insurance Feature Writer (apparently she didn’t see my listing of my most recent Suite articles on the right sidebar).

My Suite Plug

If you haven’t applied for Suite and you’re an eHow writer looking for additional residual revenue sources, you should give it a try. Suite is an entirely different animal than eHow. The revenue doesn’t build as quickly and the writing format is different, but it’s definitely worth a try.

Times, they are a changin’…

It will be interesting to sit back and watch the ripple effect of the eHow/Demand Studio change. Let’s face it, just about every online writer with a blog is blogging about it.

Well, I guess I have devoted enough time to eHow and Demand Studios. It’s time for me to get back to doing what I do (whatever that is). 🙂

Tags: , , ,

Category: Demand Studios, eHow, Legitimate, Opportunities, Suite 101

1. Tiffany@Online Passive Income says:

The eHow WCP program coming to an end finally put my butt into gear to get all my niche websites up and running. I don’t have to worry about these websites being closed down since they are mine.

I think this just goes to prove that you should never ever put all your eggs in one basket when it comes to making money online and freelance writing.
    .-= Tiffany@Online Passive Income´s last blog ..My Online Passive Income Earnings Report for March =-.

Tiffany, I’m glad that you decided to get your own website up and running. I agree 100% with you about diversification. If you don’t do it sooner, you’ll be forced to do it later (as eHow is forcing so many of its writers).

I stopped by your site. I see you’re using the Thesis WordPress theme. I’ve found that since I started using Thesis, my posts are indexed by Google within 10 minutes of posting (I was shocked). You made a good decision going with Thesis.

2. I expect the deletions to continue. The eHow Residual Income model is doomed, regardless of what they say.
    .-= JadeDragon@innovativepassiveincome´s last blog ..Should You Work 9 to 5 For Someone Else or For Yourself Online? =-.

3. Shannon says:

Interestingly, just yesterday was D-day for the eHow publishing tool and now today all but 10 of my eHow articles have been deleted! I also made payout in March but, as of yet, there’s been no PayPal payment. Now I’m actually wondering if these and other eHow shenanigans, like taking down the site, are quite possible.

At least I’m fortunate because I back up my articles religiously (text and PDF) and, in my fledgling way, I diversify.

Diversification is so important, people. Sign up with the sites Felicia and others recommend. I just signed up with Bukisa, Squidoo, HubPages … and plan on even more. I still like writing for Demand Studios, too, but I’m not liking this eHow situation one bit!
    .-= Shannon´s last blog ..We Support NY’s Proposed Beverage Tax — and Here’s Why =-.

I had two articles deleted also. I still haven’t received an email telling me which two they were. Although I’ve received March payment, I’ve yet to receive another email giving me my “new” Demand Studios sign in info.

I’m not too concerned because I already have a DS account, but if I were one of the writers who did not have a DS account I’d be very concerned. All I can say is that it doesn’t sound good and I agree with you Shannon. You just don’t know what eHow will do next.

4. LOL – love the title. My first thought after the whole eHow thing was “If I had some money and the technical know-how, I’d set up an AdSense share site, make it how-to, and start poaching away.” Since I had too little of the first and none of the second, I’ll just go on to things I know how to do, but it’s funny to see other people kind of thinking the same way.
    .-= Master Dayton´s last blog ..How I Became A Freelance Writer =-.

5. Elizabeth says:

Hey Felicia,

I’m glad I’m already on Suite and I am starting to really like AC too because you can get upfront and residual pay on articles. I’ll keep my eyes on my eHow articles. Hopefully few will be swept, but I’ve got them all copied just to make sure.

Have you heard anything about howcast.com? It looks like it’s targeted toward video content, but there are writing opportunities there as well.
    .-= Elizabeth´s last blog ..eHow’s Writer Compensation Program is Over =-.

6. Ignatius says:

I had a funny thing happen with an article that had been up for about a month on a site the search engines are supposed to like pretty well. The article was sitting near the top of page two of the Google results–just a teeny bit away from the page one “promised land.” I decided I would start putting up a few backlinks to give it a boost. I started with a Xomba bookmark. A few hours later I checked to see if the little Xomba mini-article had been indexed. Yep, there it was–2 spots higher than the article I was trying to promote! So, I actually knocked myself down a spot. 🙂

I’m definitely going to leave it to others to figure out what sites Google loves. 🙂

7. Beelissa says:

Hmm, Felicia, if Suite 101 doesn’t have an affiliate program, then why would this person take the time to write you such a formal letter, esp. since they must not really follow your site if they don’t know you write for them. It just struck me as a recruiting letter, the type someone might write if they wanted to sign you up for Amway or get you to join something they’d get a bit of affiliate income for.

I joined Triond awhile back — every month I get an email telling me my balance there is $0, because I have never written an article for them. Anyone tried them? I think it’s a rev. share deal, but I can’t remember exactly.

I’m surprised that Shannon is saying that Google loves Gather. I use Google all the time, searching for sources for my DS articles. I’ve never seen a Gather article, as far as I know. I would say, for the topics I search, this is the general order/popularity of sites that have content submitted by various people working out of their homes:
    About.com (I know it’s not really an article site, but it places very highly in Google and it’s not allowed as a source for DS articles so it annoys me to see it in my search results)
    eHow
    Ezine Articles
    Suite 101
    Associated Content
    Hub Pages
    Squidoo (or however it’s spelled)

There’s another with “Buzz” in the name that I see once in a while, and wikiHow comes up sometimes. Not all of these sites pay for articles, I don’t think Ezine articles or wikiHow pay for content. I know there are other article sites, but I don’t see them too much in my searching. I wonder what other people’s experience is?
    .-= Beelissa´s last blog ..New Year’s Resolution =-.

Hey Beelissa,

As far as Suite’s affiliate or a recruiter letter, who knows. Unless Suite recently announced an affiliate program, I’m not aware of one.

When it comes to Gather, with a page rank of 6, I’d say that Google is showing them some love. I know I should spend more time analyzing Google search results, but I really don’t. I think I spend more time analyzing my Google AdSense account than search results.

8. Bristolboy says:

Thanks for the update on Gather – think I will also avoid Gather!
    .-= Bristolboy´s last blog ..The importance of adding trackers to all Hubpages links =-.

9. Shannon says:

Don’t mind at all, Felicia!

From what I can “gather” 🙂 … there are two different Gather programs. One is just where you’re a member of the site and earn points for posting brief articles, photos or videos; you cash those points in for gift cards or PayPal payments. The other is called Socialwrite and it pays “$2.50-$10 for any articles posted on Gather that receive a minimum of 250 unique page views.” You’re also eligible for a bonus of $25-$100 based on the popularity of your writing throughout the month. You are required to write 20 posts per month and you must opt out of the points program if you want to be a Socialwriter.

Looks like a totally different animal, doesn’t it? It seems Gather is not suited for those who are serious about residual income. But it could be worth a try for those interested in prolific writing and upfront pay.
    .-= Shannon´s last blog ..New Products for Eco Friendly Living: It’s Not Easy Being Green (Yet) =-.

Shannon, thanks for your review. Not quite my cup of tea, but it looks like it might be nice for folks who don’t mind the monthly posting requirement.

10. Shannon says:

Sorry to go off-topic, Felicia, but I joined Gather (nothing to lose) and posted a comment on an article. My comment was indexed on Google in only a matter of hours. Google loves Gather. Very interesting, huh? I’m just learning the basics of backlinks, etc. but my mind naturally went there.

Back on topic (Suite101), I don’t like the new interface but I guess many eHow members will flock there. My Suite stuff used to get flagged for SEO at the beginning. Hopefully, it won’t be flagged as often now.

Shannon, I look forward to your input on Gather. I mentioned in a reply to Bristolboy that you had signed up for Gather and would let us know how it goes. Hope you don’t mind. 😉

11. Bristolboy says:

I must admit eHow was one of those sites I would like to write for but due to a variety of reasons (it preferring US based writers and my general laziness) I never got round to it. However, I am quite glad I didn’t now since it appears that there are serious issues. I have noticed several people even on Hubpages moaning about the changes to eHow – I am not surprised there is greater support for the websites of their competitors!

I might have to add Suite 101 into my list of websites to investigate based on your recommendation – will be sure to sign up via a link from your site as I am sure they run an affiliate scheme of some description or another.

As for Gather, I have heard a little bit about it but I have never used – would be interested to know more about it though!

You can sign up directly with Suite. They don’t have an affiliate program.

Shannon has signed up with Gather. She’ll be our local reporter to let us know how it goes (I hope Shannon doesn’t mind).

12. Deborah says:

Right now the only residual earning sites I write for are Hubpages and Suite101. I’ve heard of Gather and might take a look. I’m looking for sites with good Google juice as residual earning seems to have a lot to do with how much traffic a site gets.

Felicia, do you have any suggestions for residual earning sites?
    .-= Deborah´s last blog ..Making the Most of Your Home Office =-.

Deborah, take a look around NJFM. I write about a lot of different residual sites. Check out the NJFM database, there’s got to be something there that might work for you.

Right now,I’m spending a lot of time working on my own stuff. I’ve got quite a few things on my plate that seems to keep me busy. I’m trying to get around to writing for a few more sites when time permits, but it seems that time isn’t permitting too much. I’ve been tied up with behind the scene things that end up taking more time than I thought.

I try to keep up with my Suite 101 obligations, but as far as writing for other sites right now, it was eHow (before the change) and my own stuff. I fully intend to get back to writing for other sites as soon as I free up a little time.

13. Shannon says:

That’s odd to receive a Suite101 solicitation, especially when there’s a widget right on your blog for all to see!

Regarding DS, I’ve never had an article rejected or a problem with CEs thus far — but more output increases the exposure to editing, which you pointed out.

About other sites, Felicia, I’m wondering if anyone’s familiar with Gather. I’m not, but it has a Google PR of 6, better than Bukisa or HubPages. Gather appears to be a content site plus social networking. Just curious!

No, I’ve never heard of Gather. With a PR 6, it’s worth investigating. I’d be interested to hear from folks who have tried them.