eHow Writers being Converted to Demand Studio Writers

| April 5, 2010 | 35 Comments

Oh Man…

Just when I thought I had it all figured out, Demand Studios/eHow pulls a fast one.

If you have received the latest email from eHow, you know what I’m talking about. If you haven’t received it, here it is:

Demand Studios is now the exclusive writing platform for eHow.com.

Hi Tidbits,

Today, we are announcing that Demand Studios is now the exclusive platform for writing new articles for eHow.com. Congratulations, you have automatically been accepted into Demand Studios. This change will not impact any of your existing articles or payments currently affiliated with the Writer Compensation Program (WCP). Demand Studios gives eHow.com’s writers a more robust publishing platform including copy editors, quality assurance and a number of great, new resources for the writer community. We are committed to providing a quality experience and are excited for you to get started.
How does this impact you?

Demand Studios has a rigorous writer admission process to ensure quality. Writers, like you, were pre-approved, because of your excellent track record. Quality is paramount, and our criteria for accepting eHow.com writers into Demand Studios were based on writer activity level and moderation history. By the end of March 2010, you should have published five or more articles, of which at least 80 percent were accepted. Also, you must have been a member of the WCP. Having written 5 articles with a 91% acceptance rate, you should be proud of yourself for being pre-approved.

We are migrating thousands of writers on eHow.com over the next few weeks. We appreciate your patience and will notify you via email when you can begin writing for Demand Studios. In the meantime, it’s business as usual, and you can continue to publish on eHow.com.
What are the benefits?

Demand Studios now offers the benefits you are accustomed to on eHow.com, with added flexibility. You can suggest your own titles and write articles that pay monthly on a residual basis. In addition you can select assignments that pay upfront. The combination of these options gives you the opportunity to make more money. You choose what articles you write and how you get paid.
Next Steps:

* Continue to write using eHow.com’s publishing tools and watch for an email notification from us regarding your transition into Demand Studios.
* For additional questions, please visit the FAQ or email us at writers@ehow.com.

The eHow Team

Well, this does answer a lot of questions and raises more…

Tags: ,

Category: Demand Studios, eHow, Legitimate, Opportunities

Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she’s not writing or commenting on NJFM, she’s either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites.

Thanks for the great advice, Ignatius! I’ll give Hubpages a look.
    .-= Crystal´s last blog ..Grandma’s Little Black Book for Freelance Writers =-.

2. Ignatius says:

Crystal,
    Assuming you have an Adsense account (and I just took a peek at your blog and it looks like you do), the Hubpages format could be adjusted pretty easily for a “how to.” You could just use a module for each step and add photo modules where needed. You might even experiment with an Amazon module with some of the items needed for the project if that fits.

It will take you a little time to set up a Hubpages account and learn the ropes there. Be careful when you sign up. There are a couple of places that you can end up making more information public than you might want. Watch those privacy options.

One tip if you’re trying Hubpages for the first time: use some of their suggested tags. I may be wrong, but I think they help the search engine bots to find your article faster and and also help you get some internal traffic from Hubpages. You can, of course, also do backlinks, but I’m always in favor of anything that doesn’t take extra effort :).

In all fairness, I guess I should also have mentioned that the other sewing how-to submitted at about the same time was accepted without incident, as were two of my initial three articles. Isn’t it interesting how a negative often has a bigger impact than a positive of the same degree?
    .-= Crystal´s last blog ..Grandma’s Little Black Book for Freelance Writers =-.

Well, I’m having a DS down-day. I got up this morning to a rejection:( It was after the rewrite and totally my fault. Despite several careful readings after the CE said my formula wasn’t working per my example, I failed to notice that I’d used “add” rather than “multiply” in the directions. Big difference!

I guess it’s the curse of knowledge – I knew exactly what I meant and was reading it that way rather than the way it was written. It was while telling my poor husband (before he’d even had coffee, no less!) about the rejection that I heard myself say “add” and realized the problem. Oh well. Live and learn, I guess.

Anyone have suggestions on other places to post a how-to? Preferably one that allows photos with the steps?
    .-= Crystal´s last blog ..Grandma’s Little Black Book for Freelance Writers =-.

Oh those DS rejections. You could post your article on HubPages or Infobarrel (although I haven’t had any luck at all with Infobarrel).

5. creativezazz says:

Thanks for the tips. This forum answered many of my questions about the switch from eHow to Demand Studios.

6. Beelissa says:

What I have found that has made me successful at DS is to get to know the writing styles I like. I find it’s better to write the formats I’m comfortable with.

Another thing is to anticipate problems with the titles. My first rejection was “What printer to use to print business cards.” (or something similar). I didn’t want to recommend a specific printer, but instead listed recommendations on which brands were good, and to make sure to get one that could accommodate card stock. I decided I wasn’t comfortable promoting a specific brand or model unless I was really convinced it was best, so I steer clear of titles that say such things.

You have to be very careful to write to the title. I wrote “How to Print on Foam Core Board.” I checked with 2 businesses that do this. They don’t print on foam core board. They print on a flexible medium (paper or some kind of vinyl) and glue it on. So I wrote a very detailed article with 2 sections, how to do it yourself, and how to put in an order to have it done, mentioning both online options and bricks and mortar businesses such as the UPS Store. It was rejected and I appealed. They rejected the appeal, saying that if the title was unwritable, I should have unclaimed it. That article is on Suite 101 under a different title, but I learned a lesson and avoid titles that ask about stuff that can’t be done.
    .-= Beelissa´s last blog ..New Year’s Resolution =-.

Ok – so I revisited the DS site and did some rather extensive searching in the forums and finally found a thread that answered my timing question – midnight Pacific time. And lo and behold, when I looked at my DS work desk I now see that I have 4 days to complete the revision.

Now that I’ve spent some more time on DS, however, I have even more questions than answers. It does seem from the forums that there is heightened level of writer discontent although not as severe as what I witnessed on the eHow forums.

So am I understanding correctly (per a forum discussion) that there’s only one chance for revision? After the resubmit, that’s it? And who owns the rejected copy anyway? If the title belongs to DS, can the writer take rejected copy and submit it elsewhere? With the same title or a different one? See what I mean? More questions than answers. None of this is clearly addressed in the FAQs that I can see so maybe I’d better revisit the TOS.
    .-= Crystal´s last blog ..Sean Swarner – Mountaineer Extraordinaire =-.

Submitted my first eHow through DS and it was sent back for revision. The CE comments and request were reasonable and I’m learning about what DS wants so we’ll see how it goes after the resubmit.

My question for all you DS old-timers is what exactly is the deadline for submitting articles? It states a due date but not the time. Is it midnight on that date? Also, do all revisions have to be done and submitted by then as well? I’m sure it says somewhere on the DS site but I’m on total overload trying to figure out where to find things there so hope that someone will provide me with the answers based on experience. Thanks!
    .-= Crystal´s last blog ..Sean Swarner – Mountaineer Extraordinaire =-.

Crystal, you have 7 days to complete the article and 4 days for rewrites. I believe the deadline is midnight.

Your assignment title will turn from blue to red in your Work Space approximately 24 hours prior to the due date.

Updated response: I just saw your second post, so I’ll just update this one.

You only have one chance to correct an article. If the CE doesn’t like it he/she will reject it. You do have the right to appeal a rejection or a rewrite request. Somewhere on the site there’s an appeal form (I’m not signed on right now so I’m not exactly sure where it is at the moment).

As far as rejects, you own the content, they own the title. You can post it anywhere you want, just modify the title a bit.

I find that when I receive outlandish rewrites, I allow the title to expire and I take the article and post it elsewhere (modifying the title of course).

What I do like about Demand Studios is that nothing goes to waste. If they don’t like the article, that’s okay because there are a ton of other places to put it. One of my top earning articles on my Tidbits and Stuff website is a Demand Studios rewrite request that I chose not to rewrite.

9. mastersonl says:

Hey you guys are lucky . my email said I had only 79% acceptance rate so I would have to apply. The funny thing is I had never had a single article rejected in three months and on the same day they sent the email they removed 3 or 4 of my articles and that brought my average to 79% exactly 1 percent under where it needs to be. Coincidence? I think not. And where are my articles that they took? They are gone. I was an authority at least 5 of my 35 articles had over 200 views. I started writing to get away from treatment like this. I think Demand studio and ehow are the same. goodluck

10. I think there are good and bad aspects to the merger of the eHow community and demand studios. I’m confident that writer can build a profitable passive income stream with DS, but disappointed that writers lose ownership of their work.
    .-= Maria (WriterGig)´s last blog ..Revenue-Sharing Articles at Demand Studios =-.

11. I guess I have not researched this enough to know how it will affect me. As I understand, our articles will still earn residual. What is the BEST and EASIEST way to backup articles from ehow – I have over 100, so cut and paste is not really an option. Any ideas??
    .-= Julie – Inspired to Write´s last blog ..Embracing All the Joy Life Has to Offer =-.

Julie, the only way that I know to backup your articles is to go to each and every one and copy and paste.

I learned early on to keep a copy of everything I write on my computer (I have a folder for each site). Backing them up after the fact isn’t much fun at all.

12. Robin Coe says:

Hi,

I’ve worked full time for Demand Studios for over a year. It’s treated me well as far as freelance goes.

The changeover basically means that good writers have been hired. It’s standard practice as a journalist that when you work for a newspaper or any company — they own copyright to your work.

Demand Studios creates titles that are in demand through algorithms. You can choose from a pool of these titles, and get paid a flat fee to write them. You are paid every Tuesday and Friday for these.

If you suggest an article title not in the pool — you get paid based on how it does just like you got paid on Ehow. Those payments are paid out once a month — and it seems DS is saying it is okay to publish those titles that you generate elsewhere.

Also, I must note that Demand Studios offers health benefits after 3 months of doing 30 articles a month. They also offer $1000 grant each month to artists that apply for it.

It’s a good deal.

13. Julia Sherman says:

I just got this one too. I have been writing for ehow since 2000 and am listed as an authority, under jimmysdevoted if you want to takea peek. I am going to pull my work down and repost somewhere else. I do not like the fact that they now keep all of my content. They ahd nothing to do with it and teh few pennies I get from each artilce is not enough for me to not be able to use my own stuff. Read the new contract carefully! Ehow demand studios new rules and new scrore card may reject what you have published, snag the title and place it in their list of titles that need work.
    Basically you are a pennies writer, if they allow you to publish the works. I had three from a year ago when they were trying it out get rejected and pulled and the revenue not paid for what it generated. Only to find out the title I had rejected and unallowed was in the title list for content a few weeks ago.
    So for me, I am not going to waste my time with ehow anymore.
    I am going to plop mystuff at Bukisa or mahalo instead while I still own it.
    Julia

14. Beelissa says:

I’m registered at eHow but I haven’t written any articles. I have written a lot of articles for DS. I got my letter from eHow today (just this afternoon, Tuesday the 6th) and it was very short. It said that DS “is now the exclusive platform for writing new articles for eHow.com” and that my “continued use of eHow.com after May 8, 2010, will indicate your acceptance of the new terms of use and privacy policy” which they linked to in the email.

I guess my biggest question is about user-generated titles. I have never written an article at DS that wasn’t one of the titles they supply. I had a list of ideas for eHow articles and was interested to write for eHow because of your posts about revenue share income. I haven’t done many of the rev. share articles at DS — how does the income for that compare to the income when you write and submit it directly to eHow, and do you think that will change now with this new arrangement?
    .-= Beelissa´s last blog ..New Year’s Resolution =-.

15. Shannon says:

I’m not thrilled about the article ownership change and prefer to license my content. Other than that, I’m happy about the change. eHow has tolerated crappy content since the get-go, to the point where many people use pseudonyms. This fundamental change will probably separate the wheat from the chaff.

If the sloppier content producers on eHow can’t handle DS, that’s just too bad. Sorry, but my opinion is that not everyone can be — or should be — a writer. If you have practical knowledge but can’t master the English language, then teach a class.
    .-= Shannon´s last blog ..New Products for Eco Friendly Living: It’s Not Easy Being Green (Yet) =-.

16. Netlexis says:

Wow, that’s was out of left field. Although a lot of folks have been speculating. I’m not really happy about not owning the copyright on my user created articles (or having a CE vet them), but I do appreciate DS lifting their five-year rev share plan and making it lifetime. This really is a good example of why writers should diversify.
    .-= Netlexis´s last blog ..Is Your Online Writing Glass Half-Empty or Half-Full? =-.

17. This definitely was a kick in the teeth, to say the least. I’m going to back up all my eHow articles, and while I hope the residuals still come in, after how badly this was handled I really wonder if it’s only a matter of time before the highly profitable WCP articles end up removed for a flat fee Demand Studios equivalent. I also can’t help but to think a flood of new writers is only going to hurt Demand Studios and make it harder for writers there, as well.
    .-= Master Dayton´s last undefined ..Response cached until Tue 6 @ 22:17 GMT (Refreshes in 23.93 Hours) =-.

It is smart to have all of your online work backed up. You never know when any site will go down.

As far as the WCP, I guess I’ll write as many as I can in the small window that we have before we’re forced to use DS. After that I’ll run a few experiments, test the waters to see if its worth while. My two major concerns are: 1) having CE’s edit my articles (with user generated titles) and 2) will the DS revenue share prove to be as profitable as the eHow WCP?

Only time will tell.

18. Melissa says:

Thanks, Felicia! This had me worried. My ehow earnings have done nothing but drop the last four months, after doing nothing but go up for two years, so I was pretty much not writing there anyway. I’ve been a DS writer for a few years but I haven’t written there in over a year and don’t plan on going back (too much stress there for me!) so I’m glad I didn’t put all my eggs in one basket!
    .-= Melissa´s last blog ..Paid Email Sites =-.

19. Melissa says:

I just got an email, though mine was worded different. I guess I need to go through and delete all of my articles off of Ehow now so that I can keep my rights to my articles? Is this right? I’m so confused. I tried going to the ehow forums but they’ve deleted all posts and threads from there.
    .-= Melissa´s last blog ..Paid Email Sites =-.

Melissa, don’t delete your articles. From the way I understand it, nothing has changed on the existing articles written under the WCP program. Things only change once you start writing articles through DS.

20. Deborah says:

I knew this was going to happen. There were so many rumors about it. Yikes! DS is awful. I’m so happy I found other avenues to keep me fed in the meantime but still…yikes! This is not good.
    .-= Deborah´s last blog ..Review of Freelancer.com =-.

21. Todd P. says:

Sure looks like a tricky way to put a stop to people who want to focus on residual income, which can occasionally add up to much bigger money.

I was just in the eHow forums trying to get more info and the site totally quit working so thanks for copying in Julie’s answer, Felicia – I’m not sure I like it. How does everyone else feel? Wasn’t retaining ownership a big part of the beauty of eHow?
    .-= Crystal´s last blog ..New AdSense Revenue Sharing Writing Site – 80% Revenue Share! =-.

23. Cheri says:

I’m already a DS writer, but I got the mail for my personal eHow account. I was planning to use DS as a fall back if I got in a pinch. Now I’m not so sure how that will work out since it seems like there will be lots more writers joining DS.

Personally, it takes me forever to find titles and my guess is that it will only get harder as time goes by (unless they beef up the availables significantly).

In the end I guess this is one more reason to continue building my own brand…

@Crystal, yes DS will own your work if you accept the agreement.
    .-= Cheri´s last blog ..Mesothelioma Wrongful Death Settlements =-.

You’re absolutely right, Cheri. Develop your own brand and diversify. Although eHow is a profitable place for writers, there are other sites on the web where we can earn money. It’s time to throw a few of them into the mix.

My email differed from yours slightly so I guess I must be in the first wave of migration. I didn’t have the paragraph explaining about the migration and my Next Steps told me to finish up any eHow drafts and visit DS to accept the agreement and get started. So it was off to the FAQ page for more info.

Am I reading this right? DS will own all our content after the change (which for me is 4/13)? Under Article Ownership in the FAQs, it states “Owned by Demand Studios. For writer-suggested titles, writer can republish article to other websites just as they could at eHow.com. For Demand Studios-created titles, articles may not be redistributed.” How can an author republish an article with a writer-suggested title if DS owns it? Is this a misprint? I know – I need to ask DS.

Demand Studios owns the rights to DS created titles and it seems to be fuzzy to me about writer generated titles. I visited the forums and Julie, the eHow Community Manager wrote this post in response to a similar question:

This is where eHow and DS differs, as a member of DS you will not own the copyright to your articles. However on DS for any articles that you submit with a title that you have created, you will have a license to redistribute on your personal blog. You will still continue to receive earnings from your existing articles in the WCP program through eHow.com.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Julie

Comment can be found on this page.

So, it looks like you can place writer generated titles on your own site, but Demand Studios owns it. I’m not too crazy about that.

25. It certainly will mean a lot of changes but I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad thing. I guess only time will tell.
    .-= Julie @ Write for eHow´s last blog ..Another Great Source of Passive Income: Mr. Rebates Referrals =-.

You’re right. We won’t know the true impact of the change until a little later down the line.

In the meanwhile I guess I had better write those draft articles I have sitting on eHow while I still have access to the publishing tool.

26. Very interesting….
    .-= Rachel @ Pen Meets Wallet´s last blog ..The end of eHow? =-.