≡ Menu

Long Overdue Post on Examiner.com

I’ve been a bit remiss in not writing about the popular content site Examiner.com. Examiner seems to be growing in popularity. Capitalizing on the “hyper local” trend, Examiner looks for writers to share their experience and expertise on localized geographic areas.

Checking Examiner Out

Since I’ve been sniffing around for new places to write, I thought Examiner would be a nice fit. After all, I had received a few offers to write pieces about my local area, I figured I might have what it takes to do well with Examiner.

Examiner Application/Approval Process

The application process is simple enough. I went to their site and filled out the appropriate forms. I was also allowed to suggest a new Examiner channel for which I’d be interested in writing. Their channel selections for my area were pretty broad so I wanted to narrow it down just a bit. In addition to completing the application I provided a couple of samples and wrote a 200 word test sample.

Approval is not automatic. They review the application and send notification within 5 business days of acceptance. Upon acceptance, you have three days in which to reply and provide them with the information outlined in their acceptance email.

The one thing that I noticed in the acceptance email is they suggest you write four to five posts per week .  According to Examiner this translates to approximately three to six hours of writing, publishing and promoting your content (uh oh, I’m feeling a case of work-aversion-itis coming on).

Examiner Payment Structure

It’s difficult for me to provide information on payment since I don’t have first hand experience. From what I understand earnings are based on page views and payment is made monthly via PayPal after your balance reaches $25. I’m not clear as to whether or not Examiner offers up front payments. They do, however, have a referral program where the referring Examiner receives $50 for each referral. [smartads]

Applauding Examiner’s Style

Examiner is serious about their web presence and looks like they truly want their writers to succeed. I don’t know of another site that offers weekly conference calls to help their writers. I was impressed with what they had to offer and their writer support system.

Why I Just Couldn’t Do It

Call me crazy but I chose to respectfully decline the Examiner position. It’s not because of anything Examiner has done, as you can see, I was rather impressed with them. It’s because I know myself and I know how I want my online freelance writing career to play out.

My goal (which is no secret to my regular readers) is to earn 100% residual income. The weekly writing requirement for Examiner was a deal breaker for me. Everything else looked very attractive, but I know myself well enough to go with my gut. Eventually I would resent the writing requirement and feel like I was working at a job again. In other words, my work allergy flared up (I develop an allergic reaction to anything that starts to look like work, sound like work, smell like or quack like work).

Final Thoughts on Examiner

I believe Examiner is a perfectly legitimate place to work. There are several freelance writers who write for Examiner and are doing very well. For those without severe work allergies, I believe you should give it a shot. Don’t let my allergic reactions affect your decision.

If you currently write for Examiner.com, I’d love to hear your take.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About the author: Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she’s not writing or commenting on NJFM, she’s either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites which include Tidbits and Stuff, BLULOW, A Dose of Health and a few other sites/blogs scattered around the internet.

Comments on this entry are closed.

• Lisa Stover July 9, 2012, 2:54 am

Examiner is like any other writing site, if you put the time and energy into it you will be successful. Everyone’s experience with them will be different because we all have our own styles and ways of doing things. I write for Examiner, but I will be honest and tell you that I like other sites that I write for better. This isn’t because anything is wrong with Examiner, it’s just my personal feeling. Examiner pays ok, and you can make a lot of money on there, but you have to treat it like a real job and spend a lot of time on it.

• Halina February 23, 2012, 4:32 pm

I am the Craft Beer Examiner for Madison. At first, I was writing like crazy for Examiner and making about $1/month/article. Then, the site underwent some kind of Google configuration and my earnings dropped off to pennies. I just could not justify the amount of work required for the measly pay so I started contributing once every 30 days, just so I could get my payout. But now, even my payouts don’t happen that often (I guess I lost whatever audience I had), so I’ve pretty much given up on Examiner. I do like to publish there on occasion, though, when I have some hot beer news to spread around.
    Halina recently posted..Writer Beware: Many Online Freelance Writing Sites are a Scam!

• Felicia February 24, 2012, 12:01 pm

Halina, I think all of the content sites have taken a beating. I don’t write for Examiner but they probably felt the wrath of Google’s Panda algorithm change.

• Halina March 9, 2012, 1:53 am

Hi Felicia, Thanks for replying to my comment. You’re right- my Associated Content earnings also took a beating, though much more recently (about November of last year). I’m currently hiding out at my HubPages account and trying to beef it up with more content- but who knows how long it’s going to last.

• Nathan October 27, 2011, 3:17 am

I have been writing for examiner.com for two years now and I have found that it is nice to work for. Although, I only write probably an artical a week on average I find that an extra $10 to $50 a month in pay could help me pay for a nice night out with my girlfriend. Anyone who expects to be paid, beyond the popular topics, a livable wage soley by examiner.com is just kidding themselves. I have a real job that pays the pills and I have the examiner.com job as a ‘fun’ job that I do to gain a small extra income. That is where examiner.com comes into play, as a extra small income ‘job’.

• Michelle September 14, 2011, 6:24 pm

I have been writing for the examiner for a year now. So far I have not been paid. That is the reason I do not put too much time and effort into to it at this point. I have a learning disablity as well so I sometimes make stupid little mistakes but I try to edit them. Their pay scale has always been complicated and the math never added up.
    Now that they are getting rid of their local incentative I am not sure how this is going to work. Why can’t they just simplify things instead of making the writers go though hoops to get paid? I am a little disheartened but now that their payout threshold is $10 I am willing to try again. I am hoping I can at least count this as experience. The problem is I can’t say I am a paid writer yet. I am more of a creative writer but any experience that is paid will help.
    Michelle recently posted..Top 10 ways to go green for your Kansas City home based business

• Felicia September 15, 2011, 6:19 am

Michelle, you can try applying for Textbroker? It’s a much different type of site than Examiner, but you probably will earn money quicker at Textbroker than Examiner. You should give it a try.

• Julie July 1, 2011, 4:28 pm

Has anyone who is an Examiner writer won one of their “sweepstakes” prizes? I was informed I had won a prize on April 30, a fairly big-ticket item, and that I would receive it within 8 weeks. Well, it’s been 9 weeks, and no prize. When I inquired, they said they hadn’t gotten the prizes from their vendor yet and it would probably be a few more weeks. Since the sweepstakes went on for all of April, that means there must be people who have already been waiting 12 weeks or more. I’m beginning to wonder if I’ll ever really see the prize. I was content to be a local writer, making a little extra money and promoting issues and places I support, but this has really soured me on them.

• Melissa Green May 15, 2011, 7:49 pm

Hi Felicia! I came across your website about your feedback on the two sites ive been trying to get feedback on and I believe its helped me come to a decision about which one I want to write for. Ive always had a hidden passion for writing and ive written short stories just for fun but I want to be able to expand my writing and see where it takes me:)

As for examiner…I am confused as well because I submitted an application and within a couple of days I was accepted and I was told that I would have to complete the rest of info in 3 days so they can help set up my page, i submitted my pic and bio and had my paypal acct activated but I still havent heard anything back and its been about 5 days now. I did email this Kaitlyn person and asked her how exactly the whole paypal thing works out but I still haven’t received anything from them. I closed my paypal account because I’m a little leary of doing money transfers but any feedback from you about the paypal thing would really help settle my ease.

As for Suite101, I submitted an app but they denied me due to it was not of ‘their’ standards so I reapplied with something different but havent heard anything yet. They also do the paypal thing so Im hoping that you can give me some feedback on that. I would love to see my stuff published and making some money for it is good for me but I want to make sure its all legit. I am single mother of 3 that I need to provide for…

Thanks so much!

Melissa

• Felicia May 16, 2011, 5:46 am

Melissa, I’ve never had a problem with PayPal. I’ve used them for years. I had a PayPal account even before I started writing online. I’ve found it to be a convenient way to get paid.

• Melissa Green May 16, 2011, 11:54 am

Thanks Felicia! Im so glad u got back to me and settled my ease. I had a paypal acct as well for quite some time I just wanted to make sure things were legit…never can trust the internet u know;) thanks again!!

• Eva May 10, 2011, 11:53 am

I have been writing for Examiner since 2009. I just wanted to let you know that you are not at all “required” to write 4-5 articles a week. You can write 0 or 20, it’s completely up to you, however if you don’t write for a while you lose your audience, so it’s best to write on most weekdays. The only rule they have is that if you don’t post anything for 30 days, they will withhold your pay until you post an article. They do pay you eventually for everything you write though, they’re very honest about pay. There have been months where I made a few hundred, but you do have to apply yourself pretty heavily for that in the local news/politics beats – where I am. Examiners with national politics beats have made thousands a month, so it’s possible to make a decent living, but you pretty much have to have a national topic. And of course those writing about pop culture and sports make a comfortable living there..

P.S. I have no idea what happen to one of the posters above, but examiner never ever “keeps your money” as long as you work for them. If you leave though (officially, I don’t know how long you have to be dormant to be considered an ex-examiner, there probably is a limit), you are no longer entitled to the income they make off of your articles. They make all those rules very very clear up front.

• Gary L. January 28, 2011, 9:22 am

Can you recommend something similar to examiner.com that would offer equal or better opportunity?

• Felicia January 28, 2011, 10:35 am

Gary, check out the NJFM database. There are other opportunities there.

• MJ January 7, 2011, 5:36 pm

Examiner.com can be a good site but they need to treat their writers better. I was seriously ill for a long while and could not do anything much less write.

I came back to my writing sites, and went back to update my Examiner page. I had over $400 in revenue. Then I learned that Examiner is keeping that money since I was not able to update in 60 days. I understand holding payment but keeping the money altogether is completely unfair.

They also changed the rules so that older articles will not pay as much. Some are ok with this but I think they are missing the point that Examiner is still getting the same amount of money for the ads, but giving us less money. While at the same time they are encouraging us to write evergreen articles as well as news stories.

• Felicia January 8, 2011, 8:24 am

Sorry to hear about your experience, MJ. I’ve heard that some people were unhappy about the changes, but I don’t know first hand since I don’t write for them.

• gregw2 September 29, 2010, 9:39 am

I found this article doing some online writing research. I am planning to add a new post to Raief about writing online for extra income or for alternative income to regular writing gigs.
    I noticed through my research that there a quite a few complaints about Examiner.com from former members and writers.
    This is to be expected with almost any business or offer. It does not necessarily mean that the offer is a scam or less than credible.
    It can be do to the efforts of the writers involved or their personal goals for the site not being met.
    One thing that is apparent is that the site is predominately made up of female contributors, this is based upon commentators and online search.
    It sounds like I will add the Examiner site to my list but with some lengthy explanations on how to effectively increase your earnings through the use of social networking and links from other sites.
    I read one online account that claimed and income of nearly 25k a year writing for Examiner. She has to be using self promotion and advertising to generate this kind of income.
    I will provide a link to the article and claim made by paulanealmooney.com. If the moderator wants to include it. http://www.paulanealmooney.com/examiner-com-has-paid-this-writer-25809-47-not-a-scam-website-heres-youtube-video-proof-of-my-earnings-from-paypal-for-the-legitimate-work-at-home-writing-source/2114/

Anyone can all read it and share your comments. I will come back and glean from them for my research purposes.
    gregw2 recently posted..What Are the Secrets of Successful Affiliate Marketing

• Roberta Baxter September 23, 2010, 7:32 pm

Great topic for all to share varied experiences. I have one title Roberta Baxter Eugene Oregon Dogs Examiner which I have had for about a year. The ups have been there, but they certainly are not paying even fairly well now, so there is disappointment in that. I did want to research information for others to learn from my gathering of data, which is my pay, so to speak. My stem cell interviews have been rewarding in a way I never thought possible when I first began those. I now have 5 posted about this enlightening treatment. My Roberta Baxter Eugene Oregon Health and Happiness Examiner title has been mine for 4 months allowing me to expand on all sorts of material. I will say with truth, my enjoyment is my pay since little has ended in my paypal account.I remain hopeful and will continue to write on that site.

• Gloria August 24, 2010, 1:16 am

Thank you for publishing this story. I just began writing for the examiner and have all of the questions you did. I was given the go ahead this summer. I am The Philadelphia Yoga Examiner.

I started out slow, but once I got going it became much easier to spend an hour or two a day on ideas that were already brewing. I very quickly, according to the stats, achieved more than average views for both my geographic area, and for the category under which my topic falls. I am not exactly sure why.

This is what I did. I have facebook and twitter accounts. I post each article there–(more than once on twitter. I tag my topics to alert those who are interested.) I take advantage of the share option too: stumbleupon, yahoo, etc.

I also created a facebook fan page for my examiner content. I friended lots of folks who are interested in yoga, and sent them an invite. I also post my examiner content to yoga groups on facebook to which I’m already a member.

I have only been an examiner less than a month, so we shall see. I’ll meditate on it, and continue to work hard. I am new at this. But the only way I know how to be successful is to work hard. If I keep it up, I’m sure I will do well, and I suspect it will lead to even better things.
    Namaste
    Gloria recently posted..Thai Yoga Massage- a union of massage and yoga

• Paula Mooney August 21, 2010, 12:47 pm

Seeing as though I just transferred over $2,000 out of my PayPal account (my Examiner.com pay for last month) into my checking account to cover my Amex bill and tithes, etc. — I’m loving Examiner.com and am still thankful after one year of writing for them that they took me in!

• Janice Goodwin August 21, 2010, 9:49 am

I recently began writing for Examiner as a Career Management Coach in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. I am very impressed with the tutorials and online support community. I probably have not made any money, but that is not my focus. I am taking the opportunity to further enhance my writing and research skills and to launch other areas of interest such as speaking engagements, writing books and my life coaching business. I only publish two articles per week and I plan to remain active for a year or two.

Another benefit for writing for Examiner is that I own my material, so I am not limited to just Examiner. I am thinking about other publishing sites, such as Suite 101. So from the standpoint of practice, exposure and networking, it is a fantastic deal and a great opportunity to create more substantial streams of income.

• Tashana August 13, 2010, 9:57 am

I have been writing for Examiner since January 2010. I’m the Columbus Career Coach. I picked up two more local titles a month ago: Professional Networking and Workplace Issues. I like the site but certainly not for the income. I’ve made about $60 so far but that probably has more to do with my lack of focus on getting articles written.

I get inundated with work and my writing tends to take a back seat to everything else – not to mention with a husband and kids at home who don’t know what it means when mommie’s head is down, her fingers are moving a mile a minute and her bottom lip is bleeding from the frustration of being interrupted, yet again. This makes that 4-5 articles a week quite the chore.

I still like it though. They just launched the new site. Very nice, clean, professional feel to it and there are a lot of bonuses for Examiners as well. Examiners will now be able to post their Twitter & Facebook names on their pages – further marketing the site and their post. I write for them for the exposure. I am taking my freelance career very very slowly but I know I need to ramp it up.

Overall, good site to write (for fun) not so good if you’re trying to make a living in this business, unless, as many have already stated, you are willing to put in the work.

• Cat August 12, 2010, 11:09 pm

I write for examiner.com and I love it. I have an evergreen topic so my articles, although local, come up on the first page of google searches and people around the country are finding them and reading them. I use the last line of the article to promote my blog which is a related topic. I have been writing for six weeks and I made $30 the first month and now it looks like I will make around $200 for August-at my current page view rate. I have done absolutely no promotion. I spend about 20 minutes per day writing an article. I post one article per day. If you pick a topic where your articles are evergreen such as beauty, food, recipes, meals etc., then your residual income will be good.

• Heidi June 12, 2010, 4:44 pm

Julie,

You might try mahalo.com. You get upfront pay as well as residual, but it’s in the form of mahalo dollars, which are 75% of USD. Not sure if they accept international writers. You also need to reach M$100 before you can request payout.

Pick topics based on keywords that will generate high income, though. I did a bunch of entertainment ones and they were fun, but aren’t earning me that much in the long run.

• Julie-Inspired to Write June 12, 2010, 3:31 pm

I was considering Examiner, but thanks for this honest post. I, too, am looking for residual, passive income and am not good with “requirements.” I am bummed about eHow and looking for a replacement. I am not a big fan of Demand Studios. I would like to write more than how to articles. Any suggestions on good residual?!? (I already write for Suite 101)
    Julie-Inspired to Write recently posted..Bandwagon Fan or Home Team Spirit?

• Felicia June 12, 2010, 4:28 pm

Julie, I’m not so sure I can recommend any good residual sites. I’ll ask my readers to chime in here.

I’ve been concentrating on my own sites/blogs and the efforts are beginning to pay off.

• missysue May 27, 2010, 8:34 pm

Does Examiner allow you to place your articles on press release sites and other places without having them linked back to the Examiner page? They’re your articles, right? Thanks!

• Tami April 12, 2010, 10:05 pm

I write for Examiner, and have been since last summer. My original topics were very low paying (San Diego Uptown Examiner and San Diego Social Media Examiner). I then switched to a national column with more ‘buzz’ (Facebook Games) and I’m knocking it out of the park. I’ve been writing this particular column since the beginning of last month, and I’ve made $400 off of it. I absolutely love writing about what I want and promoting my own pages.

It’s not for everyone. You have to write buzzy topics and have a lot of people to network with. I think I’ve done fairly well there and have had WAY more success than Suite 101 or any other residual income site.
    .-= Tami´s last blog ..Why I love writing for Examiner.com =-.

• Sheila April 11, 2010, 12:38 am

I wasn’t going to post this because I didn’t want people to hate me but I think that some people should really consider Examiner.

It is a good website to write articles on what you like and make money. I have found a way to make couple of thousand dollars every month from Examiner and wanted to let people know that they can make good money at Examiner if they know how to publicize their articles well.

I have to admit that I do spend more time now publicizing my Examiner articles but that is because it pays off for me.

However Examiner is not a good site for residual earnings at all. I am lucky to get a few dollars on days that I don’t write. My best ever day was about $700 in one day. I was sooo happy and felt so blessed.

So for those considering Examiner give it a try. You can really do well if you want to!

• Felicia April 11, 2010, 7:12 am

Sheila, thanks for sharing your experience with Examiner. We wouldn’t hate you for that. As a matter of fact, it shows that if you’re willing to put in the social networking and promotion time, you can definitely earn well with Examiner.

Since I’m looking for residual income, Examiner wouldn’t work for me. It sounds too much like a job. I suffer from a condition called work-aversion-itis. ;)

• Terry May 30, 2012, 4:03 pm

I have been writing for the Examiner since November and have actually made about $25 per month. I have only recently been focusing on Examiner because I absolutely love the subject matter I write about. I am getting a name for myself in the area, and have had people come to me to ask me to write articles.

My question is, how on earth are you promoting? I post every one of my articles on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. I have friends who share my articles for me on Facebook as well. If there are any promotion tools anyone can recommend, I would greatly appreciate it as I truly do want to do more through Examiner. It is a great site and they do work with writers to try to help them (they have a new rating system that needs tweaking, but I think they are doing that).

• Felicia June 1, 2012, 11:33 am

Terry, maybe some of my readers can help you with that question. Personally, I don’t promote my articles. I’m not the social networking type.

Some folks do very well using social networks, but I think it’s a lot of work.

• Catherine April 1, 2010, 9:52 pm

I’ve been writing for Examiner for about a year. I make about as much as I make with eHow, but I like it better. I’ve made some nice contacts over this past year and I even get free tickets to local events related to my topic (gardening). I also like that I can establish an identity in my niche area and write about things that might be too obscure for something like Suite 101 (local garden related history, for example). Yet I can also write about bigger subjects in my topic that have a broader appeal.

I don’t put too much sweat into the frequent posts. I make a schedule for each month, plan my topics in advance and write about 3 posts a week. While I also do research I have enough experience in my area that I can also write off the top of my head if I am short on time.

• Heidi April 1, 2010, 3:47 am

My suggestion for writing on Examiner is to pick a popular topic with generally low Adsense values. I write about reality TV, which gets a lot of PVs, but Adsense revenue is painfully low, making it not worthwhile for me to write about at sites like Suite.

I have two topics (the national one I was asked to write based on the work from my local one), and have reached payout every month since I started in June of last year. It’s gotten me into press events, interviews with reality show cast members and access to press photo sites.

Reality TV, however, is a topic that I have lots of opinions on and as long as the revenue pays my cable bill so I can watch the shows, I’m happy. Usually I make more than that and I get paid for something I would be doing anyway. Of course this isn’t true for all topics, but you get my point. It doesn’t work for everyone.

Also, while they suggest writing four to five short pieces a week, you’re not penalized if you don’t. You only need to write one article a month to remain active and get payments. Yes, income won’t be as high if you don’t write frequently, but I’ve still made threshold in months I only wrote one piece.

• Felicia April 1, 2010, 7:02 am

Thanks everyone for your input on Examiner. Examiner wouldn’t work well for me, but I think it has its good points.

• jen March 31, 2010, 3:29 pm

I started writing for Examiner this week. I’ll be writing a blog post soon to let everyone know how it’s going. I chose a popular topic area, so maybe my residuals will be decent.
    .-= jen´s last blog ..Constant Content Challenge Results: Keeping the Faith =-.

• Deborah March 31, 2010, 2:35 pm

You definitely made the right decision. Examiner is not a big money earner, no matter what you do. I was the Tampa Bay Frugal Living Examiner. I was consistent with it for about three months and I couldn’t even reach payout. That’s when I decided it was time to throw in the towel, since it ended up being a huge waste of time on my part.

Unless you have 10,000+ Twitter followers and FB friends, are fairly well known, write on a popular subject, and enjoy marketing (which, let’s be honest most of us don’t…) then Examiner really won’t make you much at all. Not worth it for the amount of effort you have to put in. You’d be better off with a traditional newspaper column. At least it would earn decent money.

That’s my take on Examiner.
    .-= Deborah´s last blog ..When is it time to replace your gig? =-.

• Rebecca Theim March 31, 2010, 2:09 pm

I’ve been writing for Examiner.com since December, first about Las Vegas Jobs, and then at my request, about the Las Vegas Economy and Business. I’ve only posted 51 articles and my work appears in Examiner’s less popular Business and Finance channel. (The real traffic apparently is in the Entertainment and Sports & Recreation channels, although Gadgets & Tech, which falls under Business, has been growing.)

My 51 articles average to just under four a week, and I’ve probably made $75-$100 in total. If you’re after residual income, for whatever reason this isn’t the site for that. In weeks in which I haven’t written, my income has quickly plunged (if $20 or so can “plunge” any lower).

So why do I do it? Examiner.com is an enormous site, one of the fastest-growing on the Web; it received close to 9 million visits in February. In addition, the interface is easy to use and the publishing tool enables you to gauge how you’re doing on a daily, weekly, monthly or annual basis. Unlike Demand Studios, Associated Content and Suite 101, you write about what you want. As Felicia points out, you can suggest your “beat” and I landed one that I cared about and wanted to build a niche in. Although I have print freelance experience, I didn’t have much Web writing experience when I signed up for Examiner.com, so it allowed me to write articles showcasing the type of Web writing I could and wanted to do. I’ve also used it on occasion as a necessary press credential to gain access to events I wanted to attend locally. I went to an event last week at a Las Vegas Examiner, at which I met a prospective client, so if I land work in that indirect manner, it could pay off.

An Examiner.com channel editor even told me that he advised his writers that they should NOT write for the site for the money. He recommends that writers do it to promote a Web site, cause or business, which they can do in your attached bio, and in some cases, in the actual content you write (although I’ve never done the latter).

Having said all of that, ways apparently exist to make more money on Examiner.com. The site recently instituted a bonus program that pays writers $1 each for up to five articles weekly that are on target to their topic and local to their area. You also can solicit sponsors, who pay as little as $30 a month to sponsor your topic; they receive advertising on your page and you receive an additional $1 for each article you write during the sponsorship period. You also can develop slide shows to accompany articles, and each slide adds another click to your total count. Linking previous articles you’ve written and taking advantage of available templates that allow you to highlight multiple previous articles on the topic also can drive up traffic.

And then there are less legitimate ways of boosting traffic. I’ve heard of instances where, as a hypothetical example, the Des Moines Pets Examiner perhaps wrote scores of articles about Michael Jackson during the brouhaha over his death, and sent her traffic and resulting earnings soaring. Now, Michael Jackson didn’t fall within her topic and writing about him violated Examiner’s slogan – “Insider Source for Everything Local” – but she worked the system and was rewarded for it.

If you’re very persistent, write daily and promote your channel mercilessly, it’s may be possible to earn $200-$300 a month. But it would be a lot of work.

As I’ve gotten busier with better-paying work, I’ve written less consistently for Examiner.com, but because I almost consider it my second blog, I usually post something at least once a week. (For the record, Examiner cautions its writers not to treat their topic like a blog and to always write in journalistic, third-person style, which I do.) I also have heard scuttlebutt that more sophisticated sites look down on people who write for Examiner.com because they know what it’s about, so I’ve been careful where I promote my Examiner work and affiliation. I can see the day when it will no longer make sense for me to invest time in it, but I went into it with my eyes relatively open and it’s more or less served my purposes.

• Deanna March 31, 2010, 1:13 pm

I think you made the right decision not to pursue writing for Examiner. Unless you become a national Examiner, the pay can be very low. It also seems to me that Examiner favors their national writers over the local ones. If you publish a local piece, it is on the site for a few days and then it is replaced by a national article if no other local articles have been written. This can be very frustrating for local writers.

On the up side, Examiner does pay on time when you reach the $25 minimum, they do pay $1 extra per article if you use a local reference in your article and they do have that $50 referral payment, which is very good. If you happen to have a popular topic, you can do pretty good at Examiner because it basically pays .01 cent per click. They prefer short, to the point articles, so it isn’t difficult to write several 200-400 word articles each week. However you need a topic that is interesting enough in order to come up with that many articles each week. Also, you retain all rights to your articles, so if you decide to leave Examiner, you can place your articles on other sites.

I have been writing for Examiner since October ’09, but I’m not sure how much longer I will continue. I’ve only reached payout twice which, compared to eHow, isn’t very good. I’m finding that coming up with new articles on my topic is getting more difficult each month.

I think Examiner is a good site for people who are just beginning their career in online writing and is also great for people who want to establish themselves as an expert in one topic. It is not a site where you can get rich quick though.
    .-= Deanna´s last blog ..My Top Five EHow Articles and Earning More by Using Constant-Content =-.

• Allison March 31, 2010, 12:39 pm

Local examiners get $1 per qualifying article unless they are sponsored by a business, in which case they receive $2 per article. After that, revenue relies heavily on page views, so this is one case in which social media marketing your articles can really come in handy. However, the articles seem to be archived and not very searchable after a few days. I find that after writing an article, I receive a huge boost in page views for a couple of days and then its back down to just a few a day.

In order to be successful, you really do have to link your articles together and promote your column. It is not the place to go if you are looking for passive income. I have thirty something articles up there and my page views are the same after not posting for a couple of days as they were when I only had one article up. Stick to Suite101 for ongoing residuals.

BTW – the articles you write at examiner are yours to keep when you leave, so it’s a great way to compile an ebook over time.
    .-= Allison´s last blog ..Youth Group Icebreakers =-.

• Rachel @ Pen Meets Wallet March 31, 2010, 11:44 am

I used to write for examiner, and I came to the same conclusion as you did. The writing commitment was a bit much, and unless you have a popular topic, this can result in only earning pennies. Their payment structure has changed a bit, however, and it seems to be more of an upfront pay site now. I think they are paying $1-2 per article that meets requirements, but you are limited to how many you can write in a month. All in all, I decided to leave since I am looking for more residual income.
    .-= Rachel @ Pen Meets Wallet´s last blog ..Why Having an Idea Folder is Essential =-.

• Krista March 31, 2010, 11:33 am

I am conflicted about examiner.com – I really like the concept and the contacts I have had with the examiner.com employees they are extremely nice and communicate regularly. They also have a lot of incentives which I like.

The problem I have is with being a local writer. I get a dollar per published article and then I get paid per click. But I live in a relatively small city and get very few clicks so getting paid one dollar an article does not motivate me to write or promote my articles on the site.

I am not yet ready to give up on examiner but I only write about one article per month so I am not earning too much on this site.