Wow, an eHow Milestone

| February 17, 2010

No, I’m not talking about the fact that eHow seems to have fixed the publishing problem (although that’s a good reason to celebrate), I’m talking about my first high earning article.

I’ve managed to accidentally write an article that earned over $1,000! Wow. The article took about 15 or 20 minutes to write, another 5 – 10 minutes to find an appropriate image and upload the whole shebang to eHow. Who knew that six months later, my 30 minute time investment would earn $1,000 ($1,014.23 and counting).

What’s the Secret Formula?

I wish I knew. I’ve tried in vain to repeat my success. I knew it was a winner after the first month. It started earning right out of the gate. I watched in amazement how each day the earnings seemed to increase.

Since writing that article, I’ve analyzed it every which way from Sunday and still don’t have a clue as to why it is such a success. I’ve got other eHow articles on similar topics and none of them have earned anywhere near as much.

My second place article from an earnings standpoint has earned $545 and it was written 14 months ago (half the earnings in twice the time)!

Words of Advice

I’m not so sure I’m in a position to give advice. After all, I’ve only got one winning article. But, if I were to give advice I’d say to use the tips offered in WriterGig’s book and try to diversify your topics. My articles range from buying insurance to making sandwiches. Some earn more while others were more fun to write.

In addition to keywords, SEO and article topics, I also believe that if you throw enough spaghetti against the wall, eventually some of it will stick. Not very scientific, but I’ve found it to be true.

Tags: , ,

Category: eHow, Legitimate, Opportunities

1. Mark says:

Good post. I’ve been looking at what sites offer the best residuals, and Ehow looks fairly decent.

2. Julie Hume says:

Great blog, you are an inspiration. 🙂

Are those earnings related to number of visits and if so, have you tried to find out if your article is linked from any particularly influential blog or site?
    .-= Julie Hume´s last blog ..The K9 Animal Refuge Cattery =-.

Julie, I don’t know if the article has good backlinks or not, I don’t usually check. It started earning immediately and hasn’t stopped.

3. Writer Rosie says:

Hi Felicia! I’ve been following your blog since third quarter last year, as I am a disgruntled technical writer and want to do the freelance thing. I’ve been on DS since Nov. and Suite since Jan. I’ve been resisting residual articles because, like many on here, I prefer upfront pay. This is definitely the kick in the butt I needed to get rolling. I’m becoming more and more convinced residual is the way to go. Maybe soon I’ll be able to break free from the corporate shackles!

Welcome Rosie,

The good thing about residual income is that you can write an occasional article here or there while you’re still working for up front paying sites. It’s not an all or nothing situation.

I’m glad you’re going to give it a shot.

4. Congratulations! I haven’t had that huge winner yet, but I have several articles now that make me $5-10 a month consistently, which is very nice, especially when you think of the per hour that adds up to after 12-15 months of earnings. I think the best advice is just to throw up a lot of different types of articles, because my 5 top earners are all from a weird mix of articles.
    .-= Master Dayton´s last blog ..Entry Level Writers: Don’t Get Discouraged =-.

5. Andrea says:

I have had similar success with a couple of Associated Content articles, but can’t seem to duplicate the formula for the life of me!

6. Netlexis says:

Wow is right. And in six months. It is funny how some subjects take off and you never figure out why (and sadly never dublicate). I guess the best advice is to just keep wrting and throwing that spaghatti against the wall because you never know what’s going to stick.
    .-= Netlexis´s last blog ..Treating Writing Like a Business | The Business Plan =-.

7. Kidgas says:

Congratulations for sure! Over $1000 in 6 months is amazing. I like the idea of throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks. Until you try, you just never know.
    .-= Kidgas´s last blog ..Carpet Bombing Your Niche Keywords =-.

8. Samantha says:

Wow Felicia – Hats off to you!

I find the How To format a really difficult one to wrap my head around, but it looks like it’s time to rethink that one.
    .-= Samantha´s last blog ..Can You Make a Livable Wage Freelancing Online? =-.

Wow Felicia! Congratulations! I’m so pleased for you. Thanks for sharing and giving the rest of us inspiration – again.
    .-= Crystal´s last blog ..Are Your Grandkids Safe Online While Visiting You? =-.

10. Todd P. says:

Demand has been a so-so success. I’ll keep writing the stuff I can do easily and that will add up. But if I have to spend much time doing research or even just finding a reference I can legitimately credit, my time is more profitably spent elsewhere.

Last week, I wrote an incredibly simple how-to about Photoshop. I’d done the task myself more times than I can count. But it took forever to find a reference that wasn’t on Demand’s blacklist.

On the other hand, even my brief experience writing for Demand has paid a few bills, and that’s great. I very much appreciate the information I found about it through your blog. If I’d just jumped in without any information, I suspect the rigid writing guidelines would have frustrated me beyond words.

I know what you mean about references. In an instance like Photoshop, I would probably use a link to the Adobe Photoshop PDF manual. You can’t get any closer to the source than that. 🙂

Often times when I have a hard time finding a source to support something that I know like the back of my hand, I use Google and insert “[topic] tutorial” or “[topic] 101.” I usually find some website that gives just enough info on the subject matter to be accepted as a resource.

11. Deborah says:

Wow! You certainly have completed a milestone. And I’m glad to hear things are up and running smoothly again at eHow.

12. Elizabeth says:

Wow! I’m officially in awe. I think my highest-earning article is around $30. ha ha. Ofcourse, I started writing for eHow before I had a lot of SEO experience. Perhaps I should try writing a few more articles with some new stategies.

Congrats to you on your awesome eHow success! It’s just plum amazing and inspirational.
    .-= Elizabeth´s last blog ..I Took the Amazon A-Store Plunge =-.

Thanks for all of the well wishes. I’m trying a few more eHow experiments. If they work out well, I’ll share them with you. If they don’t, I guess they’ll forever be my little secret. 🙂

13. Todd P. says:

Congratulations! That’s terrific.

I think I need to start bypassing Demand Studios for some articles and filing straight to eHow. The $15 an article is quickly starting to feel like sweatshop pay.

P.S. Sorry if you get this twice. Looks like I typed the wrong security code the first time, but I also see that my comment is awaiting moderation.

Todd, I don’t think the duplicate post is your problem. I’ve been having some issues with duplicate posting and I’m not quite sure what is causing it.

I’ll figure it out sooner or later.

BTW, if Demand Studios is working well for you, stick with it and write for eHow too.

14. Shamrockcon says:

That’s pretty impressive Felicia! Way to go!

15. DeAnna says:

Wow – that’s amazing! Congrats on the high earning article! Hope you have a few more just like that. 🙂
    .-= DeAnna´s last blog ..eHow Pays Out UK Earnings =-.

16. Congrats! Writing for eHow is a little like playing the lottery. You just never know when you’re going to hit on a winner!
    .-= Julie @ Write for eHow´s last blog ..A Two Month eHow Earnings Update =-.