How Suite It Is!

| January 25, 2010

This post is yet another one in a long line of posts with the message: Stick with it!

When it comes to earning residual income, you’ve got to stick with it. If you’re looking to write one article that will earn hundreds and thousands in residual income so that you can sit back and retire, then writing on line isn’t for you. However, if you’re willing to diligently stick with it, writing about what you like (and sometimes on topics you don’t like so much), it will be worth it in the long run.

Lazy Sunday Afternoon

I was feeling real lazy yesterday so I spent time cleaning up some of the stuff on my computer. Of course, my lack of focus brought me to my Suite earnings. So, while there, I did a little analysis of my Suite progress and I’m glad I did.

Prior to my analysis, if you would have asked me about my portfolio of articles on Suite, I would have told you that they were all evergreen articles with little fluctuation. Well, as I looked at my numbers over the past 2 ½ (soon to be 3) years, I found a pattern that I need to address.

Earning Peaks and Valleys

It seems that my ‘evergreen’ articles peak in the spring and summer and drop in the fall and winter. If that’s the case, the articles aren’t so evergreen to me. I realize that I need to write on a few topics to pick up the fall and winter slack. Anyway, enough about my ups and downs, what I really want to do is to encourage you to stick with it. Here’s why:

Year # of Articles
Per Year
Average Article
Value Per Year
2007 62 $6.93
2008 60 $31.18
2009 68 $80.43

Not too bad for writing a little over one article a week.

The Money and the Muse

I’ve mentioned before that making money online is a balance between the money and the muse. If you’re anything like me, the topics that you’re most passionate about and that flow so easily from your brain to the computer are topics that earn next to nothing from an advertising click rate standpoint. To compensate for the low earnings, online writers have to supplement their passion with topics that are more lucrative which are not so near and dear to the heart.

I think the reason for the increase in the per article rate has to do with several factors:

1. Suite is a quality site with a daily growing readership
  2. I’ve gotten a little better in writing for the web
  3. Age is a good thing on the internet. The older the article, the more it can earn
  4. Topic diversification (mixing the money and the muse)
  5. Consistency

Slow and Steady

You can see from my numbers that I’m not one of the most prolific writers that Suite 101 has. I’ve yet to reach the 200 article mark (something that I hope to rectify real soon). I’m also not the highest paid writer either. But, since this isn’t a race and I’m in it for the long haul, I’ll continue plodding along waiting to see when my per article average reaches the $100 mark.

Tags: , , , , ,

Category: Earning Money, Legitimate, Opportunities, Residual Income, Suite 101

1. Joanne says:

Thank you all for writing about your work and responses for Suite 101. I used to write screen plays while in college and ‘just for kicks’ stuff (restaurant reviews, cooking, dating (and lack there of). I’d love the opportunity to get back into the creative side of my brain with the possibility of making a little money on the side. With your comments and responses, S101 may be the opportunity I’ve been looking for.

Wishing you continued success in your writing!
    Joanne

2. Melissa says:

Felicia, Thanx for the tips. I am new to this. Just started in Jan. I started with e-How (I hit payout my first month), and now I write for a few sites. I was just accepted at DS. I am interested in Suite because I hear so many good reviews. I think I am going to continue improving my writing, and possible take a class at my local college before applying there again.
    I am glad I found your site, it was actually receommended on the e-How forums.
    .-= Melissa´s last blog ..The Importance Of Self Defense For Women =-.

3. Melissa says:

Thanx for the info on Suite 101. I am new to freelance and looking for good opportunities. I have applied with Suite and was denied. I am hoping to gain more writing experience then reapply
    .-= Melissa´s last blog ..The Importance Of Self Defense For Women =-.

Melissa,

Here are a couple of tips for applying to Suite:

Be sure to read a few of the existing articles on their site (especially ones that have made Editors Choice) and have your samples follow a similar format.

A big no-no with Suite is writing in the first or second person.

Make sure your samples are informative and tightly focused.

And finally (the most obvious and sometimes overlooked tip), check your spelling and grammar.

Let us know when you are approved. Good Luck!

• Matt says:

I made the mistake of making writing the test article as my opinion. I didn’t realize I couldn’t do that. Can I apply again? Or am I done for?

4. Wendy says:

Felicia:

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I had just stumbled across a blog post that equated Demand Studios with Suite 101. There is a very large difference, which you have again reminded me of.

I am amazed at how much you earn per article. That is really inspiring and definitely worth working toward.

Thanks yet again, Felicia.

All the best,

Wendy
    .-= Wendy´s last blog ..I Just Lost $2 (and that is okay by me) =-.

5. Kidgas says:

As always, Felicia, you come through with a wonderful article of encouragement. I always appreciate these types of posts since it is difficult in our instant society to sit down and work for something that won’t pay off for several years.
    .-= Kidgas´s last blog ..Made Google AdSense Payout =-.

6. Julie M says:

I also agree that sticking to it is key!! With Suite, this is especially true… you won’t start making money until you have many articles. However, it is a great site and if you stick to it, you will see the payoff..Thanks again!
    .-= Julie M´s last blog ..Read Other Blogs in Search for Inspiration =-.

7. Julie M says:

I always look forward to your “Suite” advice. I took a break from writing in general the last 6 months of 09 due to school and some personal stuff. In 2010, I resolved to start writing again. I will renew my Suite contract on Mar 1st to get the ball rolling again. My ehow has been making great residuals though!!

8. Samantha says:

I always seem to be thanking you for sharing your experiences, but again THANK YOU! I just started writing for Suite about a month or so ago and found myself this week contemplating moving on. Your post completely changed my mind on that. I’ll be taking your advice and sticking with it!
    .-= Samantha´s last blog ..Cadmium in Jewelry? What? =-.

9. prerna says:

Inspirational as always, Felicia. Thank you so much for sharing this.
    Blessings!
    .-= prerna´s last blog ..How to Hire a Cleaning Maid for Your Home =-.

10. Mandy Harris says:

Thanks, Felicia. You’re a role model to us!

The dollar figure for 2009, does that apply to the 68 articles you wrote, or to the accumulation of all the articles you’ve written for Suite?

Thanks again!
    Mandy

Mandy, my 2009 figure represents the money I received in 2009 and the articles I wrote in 2009.

Like in a traditional job market, I calculate my expenditures and earnings on an annual basis.

11. Cyn says:

Felicia, thank you so much for the information and inspiration. I started writing for Suite in November. I dragged my feet and piddled around, working on other projects. I finally got around to writing my 10th article for the 3 month period last week. So far I’m earning about $0.75 per day. Nothing to write home about, but nothing to sneeze at, either.

I’m going to have to sit down and set some goals for myself. I’d like to write more than the minimum required in order to kick my Suite earnings into high gear.
    .-= Cyn´s last blog ..Selling the WritingForEhow.com Website Domain =-.

12. Elizabeth says:

That’s great news that my mortgage could be covered!

Oh and I lucked out with my mortgage. I bought a fixer-upper and have done a lot of fixing. But if you think $525 is low, my boyfriend bought a house for $34,000 just down the street from me. His mortgage is around $325. Crazy, eh? We’re in a good neighborhood in a college town, but the prices are low because we found deals and because we’re in Indiana. Location, location, location. 🙂

Anyway, thanks again for the encouraging words. I’m determined to make the mortgage now. And so I’d better get back to writing.:)

Cheers! -Elizabeth
    .-= Elizabeth´s last blog ..The Perks of Associated Content =-.

13. DeAnna says:

Glad to hear that you continue to earn money on articles even after almost 3 years. We must have been on the same wavelength yesterday because I also re-evaluated my Suite101 articles and wrote a post on sticking with Suite. Thanks for sharing – it makes me feel even better about deciding to continue with Suite.
    .-= DeAnna´s last blog ..Sticking with Suite101 =-.

14. Aimee Larsen Stoddard says:

I’m starting to see the great earning potential with Suite101, but it has taken nearly four months for things to start falling into place for me. I’ve been writing for Suite since mid-October, and I was promoted to Religious Tolerance Feature Writer this month. Unfortunately, religious topics do not generate the ad clicks that other topics do. I have begun to write on various topics, and I have seen great improvement in my earnings. I’m learning that the key to success on Suite101, like you mentioned, is article diversification and balance. Great post, Felicia.
    .-= Aimee Larsen Stoddard´s last blog ..General Angina Symptoms, Atypical Signs in Women =-.

15. Allison says:

Thanks for the encouragement, Felicia. Being that I have only been writing for suite for about 5 months, it is nice to see light at the end of the tunnel. I’m sure you will hit the $100 mark and beyond very soon. Best of luck!

16. Elizabeth says:

Thanks so much for providing great inspiration. I am working on my personal goal of paying my mortgage ($525) with residuals. Thanks to your tips and some diligent writing, I think I am on my way to reaching that goal. Posts like this really help to keep me motivated. You are definitely my freelance writing inspiration. Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge!
    -Elizabeth
    .-= Elizabeth´s last blog ..The Perks of Associated Content =-.