Grandma has earned over $3,000 in one month writing for Textbroker. She shares her secrets to success in her book, Grandma's Little Black Book. If you want to learn the Textbroker ropes, this is the book for you.).

I’ve Put it Off Long Enough

I’ve been putting off domain name transfers for the past 6 months or so. I just didn’t want to take the time to do the research and paperwork. Here’s my issue:

My blogs and websites are hosted by Host Gator. I love their service and their up time. I’ve had very little issue with them when it comes to my sites being online. As a matter of fact, they were extremely helpful when one of my blogs (or should I say several of my blogs) were hacked. They worked diligently with me to find the vulnerability and get rid of it. I’ve suffered through poor hosting companies in the past so I truly appreciate Host Gator’s hosting services.

The one problem I have with them, however, is their domain name hosting. Not only is it more expensive than others (they charge $15 a year), on several occasions, my domain name had expired without any prior notification.

Imagine my surprise when I go to modify my site only to see the generic webpage which indicates the domain name had expired. It has happened to me more than once with them and I find that unacceptable.

Each time it happened, I swore I was going to move all of my domain names elsewhere to better manage them and save money (when you have over 10 domain names at $15 a pop, you can save a bit of money if you can pay $7.50 a pop). The only thing that stopped me was going through the process of switching the domains.

It’s time to bite the bullet (this is one of those tasks that I would love to delegate, but I’ve got no one to delegate it to). The most recent debacle lasted for 4 days before I realized the site was down. Not acceptable.

Need Advice

I’m looking for a little advice here. I’ve been thinking of transferring my domain names to Go Daddy. I see they have a bulk domain name transfer option whereby transferring 5 names or more you get the privacy option for free and each name costs $6.99 per year, plus they extend your current domain term by a year for free.

I’m looking to find a reliable and cost effective domain registration alternative to Host Gator’s. My next domain name expires in early March, and I’d like to have this all done well before then. If anyone knows of a reliable company, please let me know.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Bookmark and Share

Filed Under: BlogHosting CompaniesInternetWordPress

About the Author: Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she's not writing or commenting on NJFM, she's either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites which include Tidbits and Stuff, BLULOW, A Dose of Health and a few other sites/blogs scattered around the internet.

RSSComments (13)

Leave a Reply | Trackback URL

1. Allison says:

Blue Host is another good hosting site. They are offering a special right now – hosting for $3.95 per month, and I think you get your domain for like $1.99. It is super easy to navigate, and there are no hidden fees.
    .-= Allison´s last blog ..Top 10 Things You Shouldn’t Do Your First Week As A Youth Pastor =-.

2. Donna says:

I’ve used GoDaddy for years and I love them. At the moment, I have 23 domain names registered with them. Their domain name manager tools are easy to use, they’re affordable, you receive a free email account with each domain name registered (with the same dot com name), they offer an automatic renew feature so you don’t have to worry about a domain name expiring (and they’ll also email you, even with the auto renew in force), and their customer service is wonderful. I would highly recommend using them for your domain name registration.

3. Lisa Russell says:

I have had nothing but excellent experiences with Godaddy, too. I currently host 23 domains on my account and they are my nameserver, too. I disagree with the previous commenter who said their hosting was expensive- I pay $6.99 a month and I can have unlimited domains on that account (up to 25 mySQL databases) Everything is included- email, automatic installations of software (wordpress, etc) I still have 2 websites whose hosting is left at Yahoo and they cost a FORTUNE ($10/mo for ONE domain, billed quarterly) Switching over just seems so complicated.

I’ve also had really good experiences with their customer service calls and they send me coupons in the mail :) Good luck

4. Melinda says:

I use GoDaddy and sometimes Dynadot for my sites. I like GoDaddy because you can always find coupon codes to save on domains and I like Dynadot because domains are not automatically renewed.

With GoDaddy you have to go in to each domain and set to not renew because it automatically will by default. This may not be an issue for others, but overall I do prefer GoDaddy even though they try to upsell so many things at checkout and I find it annoying. It’s easy to click on “no thanks” and move on. :)

I also use HostGator for hosting and LOVE them!

5. I used Netfirms for my domains. They are like $9.99 each and INCLUDE FREE privacy in case you want it. I’m pretty sure they send you a renewal reminder….hmmm I don’t recall.

I too use Hostgator for my hosting.
    I haven’t had a single problem with either of them.

I have a big problem personally with GoDaddy to begin with because I believe their “specials” are misleading (as do numerous other people I have spoken to). They had a 99 cent domain name special and the chart showed that you could buy it for up to 10 years at that rate. When I went to pay, it was only charging me the 99 cents for the first year. Misleading.

Plus GoDaddy seems to have a ton more “spam” where they push a ton of other services on you. It’s annoying. Netfirms has these other services but they’re not as pushy about it.
    .-= Kim @ What’s That Smell?´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday – a moment of silence =-.

6. Grandma says:

I forgot to mention one other website people may want to check out. This is probably not what you want, Felicia, but it is a place where one can get free websites, hosting, and tools.

Check out Bravenet.com They will provide a free website (with their group of ads of course) and you get a web address (that starts with their address). Tools are neat, like counters. I use the counters on both my other websites and there are statistics on types of visitors, a map of visitors, etc. It is worth looking at. I had one website there a long time ago when I had no money…LOL.

7. Felicia says:

Well, it seems that GoDaddy is the place to go for domain registration (I’ll keep HostGator for site hosting).

Thanks everyone for your input.

8. Samantha says:

I use Web Hosting Pad. They’re cheap (as low as $1.99/month and they allow unlimited domains, hosting space and bandwidth under 1 hosting account.

Their technical support is generally super-quick but not always on point. Sometimes their answers are a bit off topic, which gets really annoying. As a super-newbie, even when the response answers my question, sometimes I still feel a bit lost.

I considered GoDaddy but when I compared the pricing, Web Hosting Pad won out by a long shot.
    .-= Samantha´s last blog ..Cadmium in Jewelry? What? =-.

9. Deborah says:

My blog is hosted by 2M host. Hosting costs me about $40 a year. I’m not sure if that’s cheaper than what you pay but it’s $20 less than when I had GoDaddy.

10. Yup I vote for Godaddy domain reg as well. You can set your domains to auto renewal – probably need a credit card for that – and even not you will get zillion emails reminding you that you have domains expirying – they start about 3 months out – so the start of each month I just check whats expirying and make a deicsion
    .-= Lissie – Passive Income´s last blog ..Passive Income Online: Best Posts of 2009 =-.

11. Tiffany says:

GoDaddy’s hosting packages are usually overpriced, but when it comes to domain names, they usually have the best deal. The last time I checked (which was last March, I believe) Godaddy had the cheapest deal.

I’ve been using them for about four years now and I definitely say they’re good for domain names.
    .-= Tiffany´s last blog ..Free Advanced Screening: HBO Movie Temple Grandin =-.

12. Ignatius says:

My experience with using GoDaddy for domain names has been very positive. They start reminding you about renewals months in advance. If you hold a domain name and decide not to use it, there is no hassle in removing the automatic renewal option and letting it expire. They even remind you again right after a domain expires so you have a chance to save it if you let it expire by mistake.

I have used a number of other registrars for my personal accounts and for the company I worked for. I definitely recommend GoDaddy. Their system is very efficient. They will try to sell you hosting, but I would stick with HostGator for that. It’s a good idea to keep your domain names and hosting separate. It makes switching providers a lot easier. And, for some reason, good hosting companies aren’t necessarily good registrars and vice versa.

13. Grandma says:

I have used GoDaddy for every website I ever had and they are great. They do offer discounts and bulk quantities. The domain name renewals are given in advance. I only had one at a time so I think they were $9.95 or so but I also only got one at a time in combination with their “website tonight” extremely easy website so the domain names were only $1.99. The website tonight is just $4.99 a month and less if you pay in advance for more months.

Service is 24/7 and they do respond to emails within a day or less. Check them out by all means. They have tons I stuff I never explored. You can manage all your domains and websites from an easy to use list. There are lots of options and designs for websites and they have blogs, although I have never had one.

My experience with them is excellent; I have two websites and three domain names going now.

Surely there are other good places but I have had no need to go elsewhere. If you go in and start to fill your cart but do not purchase at the time they will send you another discount offer if you then complete your purchase.