Demand Studios Round 2

| December 9, 2009

I started writing for Demand Studios again. My overall experience with them is positive, but there is one editor (I hope it’s only one), that causes me to wear out my Serenity prayer. I won’t go into details, but I ran one of her requests past several of my former insurance colleagues, and each one was amazed that an article can be rejected for not adding incorrect information.

If I had granted the editor her request (I believe it’s her), the article would have been incorrect and anyone with a basic understanding of insurance underwriting would know the article was wrong. So, explaining why the information should not be placed in the article caused her to reject it.

As a matter of formality I appealed the rejection (at this point I don’t really care because the article was placed elsewhere), but I wanted to see how the appeal process worked. So far, it doesn’t seem to work. I completed the form, emailed it to the appropriate address and…nothing.

Steps in the Right Direction

Being a glass half full type of gal, I look at this as a positive experience. Out of the many half-fullarticles I’ve written, the few rewrite requests were usually valid (except for this one editor). I compare my experience this go ‘round with my prior experience and I’ve got to say that this is a step in the right direction.

Demand Studios also came in handy at a time when my residual income took a nose dive. It came in at $231 less in November than it did in October. I was trying to reach the $2,000 a month in residual income mark, but I ended up a little further away. Such is the life of an online freelance writer.

As I wrote once before,  when my cheese moves, I either have to move with it or find new cheese. I’m always  in the process of looking for new cheese, but in the meanwhile, Demand Studios is keeping this mouse paid.

Tags: , , ,

Category: Demand Studios, Legitimate, Opportunities

1. Fabian says:

Sorry guys to hear about rewrites troubles but I really like Ehow as a reader (always to the point). Even google the bot spots that and gives them credit by ranking them higher compared to the other gangs.Hopefully quality redeems those rewrite efforts.

2. Just Me says:

So glad to hear I’m not the only one with this DS experience. The articles I snuff through hastily are the ones that get instantly approved, the ones I put a lot of effort into get rewrites, and one rejection to date really ticked me off. It was a list but the topic broad, so I tried to cover all bases. I was asked to completely redo it, they felt it was too long for a list. I did it, taking out half my article. Then it came back rejected due to ‘format’ when I changed it based on what they were saying. At first I took it personal, even looked up how to appeal it but I found a loophole that will save me time and money. Let the rejection go, chalk it up to one of those things you can’t change. However, notice it stays in your console. Wait until your work desk is clear and suggest an article title that will successfully cover your work, in my case this is clearly a how to article and not a list, so I hope to get it republished in the future, for twice the money. Cheers. xoxoxo IM

3. saad@live soccer streaming says:

very nice blog, i came through infolinks, your blog is blog of the months 🙂 congrats!! amazing blog.

4. Wendy says:

Hey all : )

I just came across this article in Wired and thought to share it with you.

Interesting stuff…

Wendy
    .-= Wendy´s last blog ..Nov 27, How To Give A Massage =-.

5. Wendy says:

Felicia, Cyn and Deborah!

Thank you!!!! This has been my experience exactly. In fact, I had a string of really weird CEs and I just had to wonder *what* was up? Asking bizarre questions, making really snarky comments… **and** missing copy editing points…once, while figuring out how to answer a question, I noticed a typo in my work and fixed it…and thought to myself “isn’t *this* what the CE is *supposed* to be doing???”

So I had a frustrating week, for sure.

In fact, I retaliated with a really immature snarky post back to one CE — I just couldn’t take it any more : )

I usually rise about stuff like that, ah well…
    .-= Wendy´s last blog ..Nov 27, How To Give A Massage =-.

6. Jan S. says:

Ah, another thread for me to follow. 🙂

I didn’t know you could use a pen name with Demand Studios. Thanks for the heads-up on that.
    .-= Jan S.´s last blog ..Neo-Shonen Fujoshi Speaks! =-.

7. Deborah says:

Oh, wow. I am so happy to hear that I am not alone. lol

I do the exact same things. Now, I have made it so that email goes immediately into my spam folder and I manually check each day to see what’s up. It saves me a lot of stress. 🙂

I’ve also began sticking to how-to and list formats because they’re simple and I can do two or three in an hour at 15 or 20 each. I do really appreciate lists.

I also repeat the serenity prayer or go to my altar to meditate when I get frustrated. I find that any type of frustrating circumstance is better dealt with when I am clear-headed and calm.

Like you said there are many, many opportunities out there on the web and I think what’s meant to be is meant to be. DS is a temporary thing for me and so I am okay with it. Just like any other type of work, you stay with what you got until you find something better.

I’m so happy you were able to buy gifts for your daughter. I hope your family has a great holiday. God bless! 🙂
    .-= Deborah´s last blog ..Where theres a will there’s a way? =-.

8. Cyn says:

Felicia, how can you tell who edited your DS articles? I frequently get strange nit-picky comments from a CE that seem to be “complaining for the sake of complaining.” I have started to wonder if it is the same CE making all these suggestions. I have started to think he or she just recognizes my name and decides to find something to complain about. It’s great to know that I can change my pen name there… and I’m on my way to do so right now. 🙂
    .-= Cyn ´s last blog ..Working at Home Takes on a Whole New Importance =-.

Cyn, you can’t tell who edits your DS article. I guess that’s good and bad.

I find most edits are harmless except the one or two that I receive from folks who are not familiar with the subject matter. That’s when it gets a bit frustrating.

9. Deborah says:

Don’t pick any topics that aren’t easy. And even if you think they’re easy, those nitpicky editors can still get you.

When I say easy I mean like 1-2-3. I was writing about glitter for a while. The last one I did about making a laptop tote, the editor made so many ridiculous comments that it wasn’t worth my time to go back and try to fix all of that. I feel like I am wasting time and money being there. I hope love to know gets back with me soon. I’m about ready to pull my hair out.
    .-= Deborah´s last blog ..Add Some Personality to Your Small Business =-.

I agree with you Deborah. I only write on topics that I know like the back of my hand or that I want to know like the back of my hand.

I also open my email program each morning waiting to see the dreaded “Edits needed on your recent assignment submission.”

Most of the edit requests are harmless, but on occasion I get the unreasonable, ridiculous edit. When I do, I pull out my Serenity prayer and wonder if it’s worth getting upset about. Bottom line, Demand Studios funded my daughter’s Christmas shopping. She’s so happy that she was able to buy for all of her friends without me asking her “Are you sure you want to spend that much?”

Demand Studios isn’t perfect by any means, but they do pay on time and it’s quick and easy money as long as you choose the right topics.

10. Heidi says:

If you update your pen name and photo does it apply to only articles you write in the future or does it change past work as well?

Heidi, I believe updating the pen name changes the past articles too.

I searched for my old pen name on eHow and nothing came up, only my new name.

11. Samantha says:

Thanks for the tip Felicia! I didn’t know that. I may consider taking that route.
    .-= Samantha´s last blog ..Weight Loss, Take 2 =-.

12. Samantha says:

I’ve never been through the rejection headache but I’ve experienced similar issues with a lack of response from DS. I’ve also experienced the occasionaly CE who does not edit in line with DS policy or that ask for inappropriate edits or edits which are not in line with the guidelines.

I also write on very technical topics for DS and when a CE tells you to add something that makes no sense to the topic or that makes it inaccurate, the last thing you want to do is compromise your reputation for a $7.50 factsheet. It also really annoys me when I get a rewrite for something that makes absolutely no sense to the guidelines.

One other thing to keep an eye on – there’s at least one CE that I’ve had that rewrites portions of articles just before approving them. Thankfully in my case, the CE didn’t make it inaccurate, but his writing style was AWFUL and the grammar that was injected into the work was terrible. I don’t know what the process is for changing content once someone else has added their input into it, but had I known the CEs had that kind of power, I would have used a pen name on my DS account.
    .-= Samantha´s last blog ..Small Heart-Warming Holiday Happenstances =-.

13. Beelissa says:

I think Ignatius has a good point. I think most SEO writing is like this, isn’t it?

I feel like: I wish my mindset were of the writing-for-the-sake-of-writing kind, but mostly, due to financial necessity, it’s much more aligned with writing-for-the-sake-of-financial-benefit.

:::::sigh:::::
    .-= Beelissa´s last blog ..Chrome Wish List =-.

14. Deborah says:

Felicia, I hear you completely. The editorial process can be rather frustrating.

If you’d like to take a look, try Love to Know. The editors are experts in their topics or channels and the pay is $20 per article to start. They even offer an insurance channel so you would be dealing with an editor who actually knew about insurance. I’ve completed my second interview with them and it looks as though they intend upon hiring me. Their editors and writers have been there for a long time and they fully prepare you before you even begin. I think you have a great shot at getting in.
    .-= Deborah´s last blog ..What to Look for in a Steady Gig =-.

15. Ignatius says:

I have not participated in Demand Studios in any way (although I never say “never” about any opportunity), but it seems like there are always some people like that copy editor who are more interested in winning an argument than in getting things right. I think it was a good idea for you to appeal just to highlight that there is an issue with this person.

I know writers don’t have a lot of down time to read, but those of you who write for Demand Studios might find it instructive to check out Demand Media’s Corporate blog. The mind-set seems to be that writing is a product that is a vehicle for marketing. They are focused on producing that product in the most efficient way possible. Unlike a lot of old media companies, they didn’t get into the business because they love words, knowledge and learning. This is simply a hot entrepreneurial opportunity that they can leverage. I’m not criticizing their mind-set. I just think it’s helpful for writers to understand that mind-set and how it differs from their own.

Here’s a link to one blog entry if you’re interested:
    You can click “Corporate Blog” on the left sidebar for more entries. I’d add a link for that, but I’m afraid the spam filter wouldn’t like that :).

16. Tamara says:

I been trying to appeal a rewrite with DS for the last four months. The editor was upset because I contacted the DS team about the rewrite and followed the team’s suggestion. (The editor’s rewrite request was unclear.) The editor actually rejected me because I took the team’s suggestion. In addition he took of because I wrote in an “actionable voice”. That IS the voice I am supposed to write with for demand studios.

I have sent the appeal via my email address so that i can have a record of what I have said. I haven’t heard a word.

17. Beelissa says:

That’s strange that you didn’t hear back about your appeal. I’ve written a lot of articles for DS. Only 3 have been rejected. One was my fault for not writing to the topic. That was when I was first writing there. Number 2 was the one that got me angry. The title was unwritable, but I wrote about 2 ways to accomplish the same objective. When it was rejected, I appealed and the note I got back was very nice and sympathetic, but it said I should have let the title go back into the pot when I determined it couldn’t be done as written. That’s the only appeal I made (my 3rd rejection was really because the rewrite notes were not clear, but I figured if my other appeal didn’t go through, appealing to get a 3rd chance probably wouldn’t go, either).

But anyway, my appeal was read and addressed, even if I didn’t like the answer they gave.
    .-= Beelissa´s last blog ..What I Write About =-.