Grandma has earned over $3,000 in one month writing for Textbroker. She shares her secrets to success in her book, Grandma's Little Black Book. If you want to learn the Textbroker ropes, this is the book for you.).

Back on the Demand Studios Merry-go-Round

The other day I received an e-mail from Demand Studios asking me to update my bio. I had received a similar request before and chose to ignore it since I had not been writing for Demand Studios and didn’t see a need to update my bio.

Just for grins, I opened the e-mail expecting to find an ultimatum of “update or leave,” but I was surprised with the type of ultimatum I received. In essence, they told me that I had until XX date to update my bio or else they would update it for me.

WHAT!?

With such a curious ultimatum I signed into my account and updated my bio. No, I did not include my education or any of that other information. I only updated my 50 word narrative and added a “fun fact.” Additionally, I added a free photo from stock.xchng to accompany my nom de plume. The photo is so obviously not me.

Back on the Merry-Go-RoundBack on the Demand Studios Merry-go-Round

Since I had logged into my account (after several moths), I figured, oh what the heck, let me get back on the merry-go-round to see if I can try writing a few articles. I was able to find several titles that interested me so I’m giving Demand Studios another shot. After all, the holidays are around the corner and I could use the additional money.

I’m taking it slow. I’m only writing 1 or 2 a day to test the waters. If things go smoothly I might increase my productivity. I don’t want to run into the same frustrations I had run into in the past.

A Few Things Have Changed

The twice a week payment structure is something that I had not had the benefit of enjoying in the past and I find that to be an attractive feature. Additionally, I see that they are now going to offer health insurance to eligible writers. That’s also something positive. They do seem to be trying to keep their writers happy.

Only time will tell if I can tentatively add Demand Studios back into my freelance writing arsenal. It would be a nice addition to the residual income I’m already receiving.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Bookmark and Share

Filed Under: Demand Studios

About the Author: Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she's not writing or commenting on NJFM, she's either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites which include Tidbits and Stuff, BLULOW, A Dose of Health and a few other sites/blogs scattered around the internet.

RSSComments (14)

Leave a Reply | Trackback URL

1. StephS says:

I just started with Demand Studios. I’m glad I came across this post. I don’t like putting all of my info online either, so I changed my bio a bit, and went to stock.xchng to find a photo – thanks for the idea!

2. Ignatius says:

I once read a newspaper column where the columnist talked about having to use voice recognition software when he suffered an injury. He discovered that he had to do careful proofreading when he dictated a column where he said that the mayor was having problems with some relatively mundane issue, but the software wrote it as “the mayor has been having problems with German women.” So, see, voice recognition software can be fun.:)

That’s funny. I’ve had quite a few head scratchers when it comes to dictating. Sometimes I read it out loud to phonetically sound out what the software thought I said.

For the most part, it helps me get my ideas down quickly, but you’re right, you really have to re-read everything carefully.

3. Cindy says:

I’m a new writer with Demand Studios, and when I wrote my bio, they sent it back and asked me to add a better fun fact. I’m a curator and professor, and I have generally written for an academic audience up to this point, so I guess my fun fact wasn’t fun enough. They said it just sounded like an extension of my credentials. Is anyone willing to share their fun fact ideas? I just don’t seem to have anything they consider fun that pertains to my writing career.

Cindy, that’s a tough one. My fun fact wasn’t so fun either but they let it go.

My fact includes a self admission that I use a digital voice recorder and voice recognition software. Where’s the fun in that fact?

4. Wendy says:

Thanks for the information about the pseudonym! I just assumed it was too late to switch. I have never used one before….this will be a little bit fun. I should have made up stuff on the bio, too…anyway…

until my website and suite and other stuff starts making money, I feel like DS is not a bad way to bring in extra money…

Plus, I have to admit, if I am in the right frame of mind, I actually love writing on arcane topics…I finished one on “How to Make a Natural Armadillo Repellent” recently… : )

Cheers! Wendy
    .-= Wendy´s last blog ..Nov 12, Essential Oil Blends =-.

5. Elvenrunelord says:

Its not robots running the site, rather harried and overworked editors dealing with all you writers :D

Seriously this info makes me question if I even want to join Demand Studio.

I probably will once I get over my comma dilemma that is holding me back at Textbrokers.

6. Kim H says:

I tried several times unsuccessfully to add my education, when they asked for it. Kept getting an error. I put that in the comment section, then they sent me an email to add the text to my bio. That kicked back because it was over the allowed word count. Then I got another email saying the same thing. I think robots are running the site, and the miscategorized titles are driving me nuts.

If I’m not mistaken, I might have had my education on my original resume so I didn’t feel a need to fill in all of the education fields. I only updated the first page.

As far as the categories, I never search for titles that way. I type in a few key words and choose from the available titles. I find the categories are never accurate.

7. Deborah says:

I’m a little worried about having my real info on there. I’ve heard a lot of writers say they use pseudonyms and fake photos because it could damage their writing credibility and their ability to get higher paying projects. Is it too late for me to do this?
    .-= Deborah´s last blog ..A New Design is on the Way =-.

8. DeAnna says:

I had the same e-mails from Demand Studios and finally updated my profile too. Then they came back and told me I had to update my photo – even though there was a perfectly good one on there. They listed one of the options for a photo was to partially hide your face behind a book you have written if you wanted to remain annonymous. So, I wrote back that I liked my photo as it was and if they were willing to accept a silly photo with a face behind a book then they can live with the photo I already had. It was approved. I haven’t written for DS for awhile but I do like to keep my options open just in case. :)
    .-= DeAnna´s last blog ..Suite101 Update =-.

9. Cyn says:

I got the same email. After ignoring two previous ones, I also updated my bio (and I’m wondering what the heck they would have written for me…). Since I was there, I decided to go ahead and take a few assignments, too.

I had no idea about the twice a week pay, though. That’s pretty interesting! What are the pay days (and pay periods)?
    .-= Cyn´s last blog ..Happy eHow-niversary to me! =-.

Hey Cyn,

They pay on Tuesdays and Fridays. All articles approved by Sunday are paid on Tuesday and all articles approved by Wednesday are paid on Friday. I think that’s a nice little perk.