≡ Menu

It’s Your Baby

I subscribe to a newsletter put out by Alan Cohen. I first discovered Alan Cohen a couple of years ago when I read his book Relax into Wealth: How to get more by doing less (you should read it when you have a chance).

He doesn’t send out too many newsletters, but when he does they’re worth reading. Yesterday’s newsletter had an article that I wanted to share with you. It very much applies to the mindset of successful freelance writers. He was gracious enough to grant me permission to share it with you in this post:

It’s Your Baby

In a remote region of the Andes, two tribes were feuding. One lived high in the mountains, and the other in the lowlands. One day the highlanders raided the village of the lowlanders and kidnapped a baby.

The next day the lowlanders assembled a team to climb the mountain to find and retrieve the child. But they did not know the trails, and they were not skilled at mountain climbing. The search party struggled to make their way up the steep slope, but after a half day of climbing, they could not ascend anymore. Discouraged and disappointed, they packed their gear to return.

Mom and BabySuddenly, to their amazement, the rescue team saw the baby’s mother coming down from the mountain, holding her child in her arms.

Baffled, they asked her, “How were you able to scale this steep mountain and rescue your child when we were unable to do so?”

She answered, “It wasn’t your baby.”

Desire and motivation are the precursors to achievement. If you want something enough, you will find a way to do it. If you are not very motivated, you will either not attempt to reach a goal or, if you do make an attempt, your efforts will be halfhearted and you will attain no measurable results.

Do not assess your possibilities on the basis of the beliefs or unsuccessful efforts of people less motivated than you are. Their results are not so much a function of reality, but rather, a product of their beliefs and intentions. Nor do you require their permission to do what you want and need to do. In the story of the mother who retrieved her child, she did not ask the search party’s permission or even discuss the project with them. She just knew what she needed to do, and she did it.Achieving Your Dreams

You have a “baby” that you love and believe in. It is a dream, goal, or intention that may seem mountain-high. But if you love your baby enough, you will find a way to bring it home.

From It’s Your Baby by Alan Cohen as published in his E-Newsletter. Used by permission. All rights reserved. For more information on Alan Cohen’s books and programs, visit www.alancohen.com .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About the author: Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she’s not writing or commenting on NJFM, she’s either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites which include Tidbits and Stuff, BLULOW, A Dose of Health and a few other sites/blogs scattered around the internet.

Comments on this entry are closed.

• Lisa B November 8, 2009, 11:49 am

Let’s try this again…after dealing with a number of personal issues and a massive computer crash over the weekend I was starting to doubt myself on a number of things. However, after reading that article, I realized that I have the determination to reach my goals, even if they sometimes (ok, often) seem insurmountable.

Lisa B.

• Felicia November 8, 2009, 8:11 pm

Hang in there Lisa!

A year or so from now you’ll look back and be glad that you stuck with it.

I feel your pain when it comes to life issues (I live with 2 teenagers) and computer crashes (I’ve had the blue screen of death 3 times this week alone).

In the midst of the the computer crashes, nay sayers and folks who pooh pooh residual income, I’m still determined to break the 6 figure income mark. I can’t say when it will happen, but I know it will. It’s my baby and I’ve got to go out there to bring it home.

• bestmommy November 1, 2009, 10:03 pm

Very thought provoking. Thanks for posting! I’ve got to go feed my “baby” now–be back soon!
    .-= bestmommy´s last blog ..eHow’s "I Did This" Feature: Have You Used It? =-.

• Brittany Tucker November 1, 2009, 9:30 pm

So very inspiring, thanks for sharing!
    .-= Brittany Tucker´s last blog ..Legit Work from Home Job Opportunity: ReviewStream =-.

• Grandma November 1, 2009, 12:10 am

Yes, indeed. That must be why others who are not into this writing thing do not understand how we keep doing it! It’s not their baby!

• Kidgas October 31, 2009, 2:22 pm

Thank you. Inspirational words are always needed.

• Seema October 31, 2009, 11:20 am

Love You for this one! Again 1 more time at the very needed time!

Thanks always

• Deanna October 30, 2009, 12:06 pm

What a wonderful, inspirational article. Much needed today for me. Thanks for sharing it, Felicia.
    .-= Deanna´s last blog ..eHow Update: My Top 6 Articles =-.

• Crystal October 30, 2009, 11:21 am

As always, Felicia – if you post it, it’s well worth reading. Thanks!
    .-= Crystal´s last blog ..Make an Easy, Luxurious Tied Quilt for Someone Special =-.

• Sher October 30, 2009, 7:29 am

Thanks for sharing this very motivating story! I agree with prerna–this is the best thing I’ve read so far today!

Going to work on bringing my baby home!

Have a great day,
    Sher
    .-= Sher´s last blog ..World Blog Surf Day Link List =-.

• prerna October 30, 2009, 6:23 am

That is the most insightful thing I have read today.. no make that, in a long, long time. Thank you so much.. Writing for a living is my baby.. So, I’m gonna get it home:-)
    Thanks for inspiring me twice in one day, Felicia!!
    Blessings always
    .-= prerna´s last blog ..Being a Writer : Awards and Appreciation.. And an Interview! =-.