My USA Today Interview about eHow

| October 26, 2009

Wow, I was mentioned in a USA Today article about Richard Rosenblatt, the owner of Demand Media which owns eHow and Demand Studios among other online sites.

About a week or so ago I was interviewed by Jeff Graham of USA Today. I didn’t get too excited because I’ve been interviewed before by other reporters and my “clip” was not included in the article. Thinking this was another piece for the floor of the editing room, I dutifully completed the interview thinking only time will tell if it’s included in the piece.

Well, this time I was given a mention in the piece. They used my name, one quote and my eHow earnings. It’s quite obvious from the article in USA Today that I’m not the focus of the piece, but the honorable mention is flattering. By reading the article many Demand Studio and eHow writers can glean valuable information on the company’s current and future direction.

Corporate America vs. Online Writing

In all of my years in corporate America I’ve never been interviewed by the media. I’ve rubbed elbows with some rather impressive folks in my business career, but never have my contributions to the well being of my clients been deemed worthy of media attention.

The irony is that at this point in my life, I’m currently bringing in a fraction of what I earned in corporate America, but I couldn’t be happier. To top it off, I believe I can not only match but surpass several times over the salary I earned at my peek in corporate America.

Knowledge is Power

The title of USA Today’s article is “Knowledge is the Power Behind Popular eHow Website” Well, I second that title. Knowledge is power. Anyone with a little knowledge about SEO, internet marketing and the sticktoitiveness to make things happen has the power to dictate their financial future.  I may not be a Richard Rosenblatt, but in my corner of the world, I’m a happy camper.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Category: Demand Studios, eHow, Freelance, Legitimate, Opportunities, Self Employed, Working from Home, Writing

1. Ignatius says:

I’ve noticed that you have recommended HostGator on a few threads and I totally agree with that suggestion. I don’t want to put my nose in your business, but have you considered joining their affiliate program? I think a lot of folks (like me!) find this blog useful and would be happy to use your link. Plus I think you would have the opportunity to offer discount coupons to your readers.

Actually, I am an affiliate and have placed my link on this blog (for the record here’s my HostGator affiliate link). I guess I should make it more prominent if I want folks to sign up.

I checked into offering discounts, but I couldn’t find anything. I’ve sent HostGator an email to find out if I can offer discounts and will let you know.

2. Paul says:

At this point, it’s really not worth the time, as Demand Studios, Associated Content, Bukisa, Suite 101, and even lil’ ol’ Textbroker all have websites that pretty much work perfectly – and/or have responsive support if necessary.

If I want to write for eHow, I guess it will be through Demand.

3. Paul says:

Congrats Felicia!

For me, eHow has been a total waste of time because of all the technical glitches on their website. I still don’t have anything published, since a bug put my article into pending status without me publishing it – and its been that way for two months – let alone the constant problems with uploading photos or photos being cropped.

Too many other online writing shops have websites that actually function, ironically including eHow’s parent, Demand Studios!

Their support is the worst I’ve encountered in over 20 years of software engineering experience, which is pretty bad since their website is the buggiest I’ve ever used.

Ahhh, maybe one year they’ll have it fixed! 😉

Wow, Paul, that stinks!

Did you try setting up a new eHow account? Maybe a different account will work better for you.

I haven’t been plagued with any of the glitchy issues, but I’ve not written many articles in the past few months.

Give the new account a try. You’ve got nothing to lose.

4. Ellen says:

Congratulations Felicia! It’s wonderful to see you receive some well deserved recognition! I’ve been lurking here for a few weeks and have learned so much from both you and your readers. Thanks to all of you for your willingness to share your online experiences with those of us just getting our feet wet. I recently decided to sign on to Suite101, eHow, Hubpages, and Xomba and I’m looking forward to joining your community.

5. Kidgas says:

Congratulations. The honor is well deserved. You have worked hard for the last few years and are starting to be noticed.
    .-= Kidgas´s last blog ..Weekend Traffic =-.

6. Grandma says:

Kudos Felicia! Too bad they did not mention this website but that is another story. It is not unusual to be interviewed by the press for a long time and then they only use a teeny tiny bit of the interview. It is nice they included you!

It would have been nice if I could have plugged my blog, but who knows, maybe I’ll have another opportunity. I am always amazed when I receive a call or an email asking my advice or asking to interview me. It’s truly surreal.

7. Awesome news.

I have one question though; how did you learn to do SEO on Ehow?

I’ve done my best and I admit I’ve learned a heck of a lot since I start working online about SEO, but from what I remember Ehow does most of that themselves.

Is it the topics you choose? The titles? Didn’t you mention one time or another that someone had written a book on the best ways to earn money on Ehow and is that where you learned?

Could you share a link with us on where to get that book?

Thanks. I’m seriously thinking about getting back into Ehow again soon and want to go in with a lot more knowledge that I had when I wrote for them last year.
    .-= Elvenrunelord´s last blog ..Comment on I’m Sorry but This Blog Will be Idle Until I Find a New Host by Survey Seeker =-.

Elvenrunelord, the book I used is the “Earn Passive Income on eHow.com.” You can click on the image of it in the right-hand column of this blog (It’s there with the other ads).

As far as learning SEO on eHow, SEO is SEO. You choose your keywords, sprinkle them throughout the article, use keywords when giving names and titles to images and use keywords in subheadings (unfortunately eHow doesn’t allow subheadings). That’s pretty much it. I’m sure there are many other tricks, but those are the ones I use most often.

My eHow titles vary. It all depends on what I’ve been doing in my life. If I discover something new, I write about it, but I’ve got to say the eHow book helped.

There are no guarantees when it comes to earning money there. Some articles earn a lot while others do not. Some earn unexpectedly as a result of something in the news and then go back to earning only pennies a day.

My one recommendation is to stick with it and try different things with different articles. It may be hit and miss but the money does accumulate over time.

8. prerna says:

Wow Felicia!! Congrats!! You really are a super inspiration:-)
    Blessings and best wishes always!

9. Lovelyn says:

Wow! How exciting!
    .-= Lovelyn´s last blog ..Cheap Gas =-.

Wow Felicia – you’re a celebrity now! Really interesting article on eHow – thanks for sharing the link.
    .-= Crystal´s last blog ..Best Diet Book Ever! =-.

11. Yury says:

Nice Felicia…congrats! I just facebooked the article too: http://www.facebook.com/demandstudios

12. Deanna says:

Congrats Felicia on the mention in the USA Today article. What a wonderful way to be recognized for all your hard work. Keep it up so that when you are famous I can say I knew you before you were famous!
    Cheers,
    DeAnna
    .-= Deanna´s last blog ..eHow Now Reviews Articles before Publishing =-.