eHow/Demand Studios: Opportunity for Non US Writers?

| September 30, 2009 | 19 Comments

I want to start this off by saying thanks to Arvind who posted a heart-felt comment on my eHow One Year Later post. In essence, he inquired about why Demand Studios and eHow were opportunities limited to US writers only.

As a result of his comment, I sent an email to Demand Media (the parent company for eHow and Demand Studios). For the sake of easy reading, I’ll re-post my email here:

This inquiry is about international writers. I often get the question on my blog regarding international writers writing for eHow and/or Demand Studios.

I have a small following and some of my non-US readers have asked that I contact you on their behalf to inquire about whether or not your company will offer writing opportunities to international writers.

Although your company does not owe me an explanation, I would like to be able to explain to my readers why they either can or cannot write for your company, or if it’s something on the table for discussion and could possibly be a reality in the future.

My readers give me far too much credit as to my power and pull on the internet, but I’d rather approach you to get a clear answer than offer an inaccurate, incorrect reason for your company’s decision.

I thank you for your time and look forward to reading your response.

Regards,

Felicia A. Williams

I was pleasantly surprised when I received a rather prompt response. Although the answer does not immediately resolve the issue of presenting Global Opportunitiesan opportunity for international writers, it does offer some hope.

Here’s the response that I received from Robyn Galbos of Demand Media:

This is Robyn from Demand Studios—I was forwarded your email below, and I thank you very much for your inquiry. I will try to answer your question. At this time, Demand Studios and eHow are not able to accommodate non-U.S.-based writers because of current tax-reporting limitations on our side.

We are, however, officially launching eHow UK by the end of the year, and from that experience we will learn to navigate the international waters in terms of payment, taxes, legal implications, etc., and expand from there. I don’t have an exact date, but that is the plan.

I hope that helps. Thanks again for writing.

Best,
Robyn

The good news is that writers in the UK will soon be given the opportunity to write for eHow. Let’s hope that the experiment goes well thus opening the door for other countries to benefit from such an opportunity.

Thanks again, Avrind, for asking the question. Your question reinforced my new favorite saying: Assume everything is possible unless proven otherwise!

Stumble It!

Tags: , , , ,

Category: Demand Studios, eHow, Legitimate, Opportunities

1. Shirley Thomas says:

Thank you very much for posting this. I landed here after I found out my application couldn’t be processed further – due to my not being a US citizen.

Which, like Nell above, was a big disappointment. I looked up a few blogs and forums to see how Demand Studios work and didn’t see anything about it accepting only US writers.

Yes, it would’ve been much better if they’d stated it at the beginning.

But anyway, looking forward to the expansion 🙂

2. vimlaksh says:

Thanks Felicia for obtaining this information on behalf of the non-US writer community. I have heard a lot of good words about eHow and DS and am wanting to write for them for some time now. Hopefully, after the atlantic frontiers are breached, DS will venture into the Indian Ocean as well!

3. Mohammed Ilyas says:

Thanks for your reply Ma’am,

So what they will do now for my approved application?

Can you tell which other website is worth working for in par with DS.

Thanks in advance.

You need to contact Demand Studios directly regarding your approved application.
      As far as sites on par with DS, look around on this blog as I’ve written about many other writing sites.

4. Mohammed Ilyas says:

Hello Sir,

I have applied for DS and my account has been approved by DS. I am from India. Now When I try to update the tax information, I am finding errors. It only has fields for US writers.

Please help.

Mohammed, Demand Studios should not have approved your application as they only pay US writers. That was a big Oops on their part.

(BTW, I’m a Ma’am, not a Sir) 😉

5. Visa Buxx says:

thanks for this felicia!

for now i will continue to write in ehow. hoping that one day they will accept writers from my country the philippines.
    .-= Visa Buxx´s last blog ..How to Vote for Efren Penaflorida =-.

6. nell says:

Hi Felicia, I got all exited when I began filling out the application form for Demand Studios and noticed it said ‘select your country’ which included a long list of international countries in the drop down menu. I assumed that meant they were accepting non-US writers.

Then my heart sank when further down the application when they asked if we’re legally entitled to work in the US. Why do they bother then to include international countries as a choice if only Americans can apply? I was totally disappointed, not to mention the time it took to complete the form and upload resumes and samples only to find out at the end that non-us need not apply!

Wow, that really stinks, Nell.

It would be nice if they put a statement somewhere at the beginning of the application process that they only accept US writers to prevent folks from wasting their time.

7. Ripa says:

Really enjoying your writing. Thanks for your kindness and insights. I currently write for DS and really love it. I am planning to travel to India this winter. Can I continue to write from there? I am a U.S. citizen approved to work in America so don’t have tax issues but just wonder if I’ll be able to access and write for the site while abroad?
    Warm wishes,
    Ripa
    .-= Ripa´s last blog ..Suite101.com Online Magazine… =-.

Ripa, I don’t see why not, but I’m not the one in charge of that stuff. I think you should address your question to Demand Media directly if you want to get a reliable answer.

8. Jason says:

Thanks, Felicia!
    .-= Jason´s last blog ..Asus eeePC 1000H to Macbook Mini =-.

9. Jason says:

What about payments for Non-US people with Suite 101? 🙂

10. Deborah says:

I think it’s rather sad that tax has become such a huge issue. When I first started freelancing, the internet used to be the one place you wouldn’t get taxed. Now all of these companies force you to fill out tax forms. If I must, I must but I refuse to disclose the “here and there” income from my private clients as I am not really in a financial position to be dishing out 15.3% of my income to war funds. But that’s totally off topic and a story for another day.

Anyways, this info is good to know. Several of my friends overseas will be pleased to know that these opportunities are expanding.

11. Arvind Arora says:

Kudos a lot to you Felicia,for really being that helpful and endeavoring in favor of the Non-U.S. writers, that too yourself being a U.S. writer. Trust me, it really takes a lot to favor somebody who’s at the end of the day, asking for a share in your piece of the cake (although I know for sure you’re way too generous and kind to think that way).

The response cited above from Robyn has indeed opened new channels for hope for all of us international writers, and I must admit whenever that ground-breaking moment arrives, you shall be always considered to be one of the pioneers who tried their best to make it happen.

Thank you very very much Felicia, I hope and wish you always remain that nice and kind hearted!!

12. prerna says:

Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to inquire. This does give hope that someday, DS and eHow may hire writers from India as well.
    Blessings.
    .-= prerna´s last blog ..Being a Mom : Healthy Moms Guide to Potty Training- A Review =-.

13. Lissie says:

Unfortunately I just don’t believe them – the US has a really simple tax law as far as non-residents/non-citizens are concerned. On sties such as today and Adsense I “sign” a particular form (WH99?? something like that) that says I don’t live in the US and I don’t own any income producing assets there. Once I have done that the company has no obligation to report my earnings/withhold tax etc

The reality is that its harder to manage people across timzones and they have to think about issues such as variations in English spelling/grammar around the world.

Which is all OK – a totally reasonable business decision – its shame they hide behind the tax laws though

14. Elizabeth says:

Wow! Excellent news for our friends across the pond. Thanks for the great info Felicia! I have a few British friends who might be interested in this.
    Cheers, Elizabeth