A Suite Change in Policy

| September 2, 2009 | 16 Comments

Finally, no holds barred. Suite has officially lifted the gag order that prevented writers from sharing information on how much they earned writing for Suite 101.

Posted in the Suite 101 forum on September 1, 1009 by Lima Al-Azzeh:

FYI Suite Writers: In light of news today about Suite101.com writer Lena Gott and her phenomenal success (earning almost US$5,000) in July 2009, we wish to inform our writing community about a change in Suite101’s policy related to external communications.

Suite101 writers are now free to publish information about their own revenue earnings outside the realm of Suite101’s website. But please note, Suite101 writers cannot post revenue results about a colleague’s earnings. You can only post your own information. If you have any questions or comments, please contact me directly at associate.editor@suite101.com

Lima Al-Azzeh
Associate Editor

A sigh if relief. No longer do I have to dance around my earnings and have my readers ‘read between the lines.’ In future posts I’ll do a more in-depth comparison of my earnings with Suite vs. eHow.

Tags: , , ,

Category: Legitimate, Opportunities, Suite 101

1. Hi Felicia, I just dropped by to thank you for the tip on Open Office for ebooks. I love the program. It’s easy to use for a “newbie” like me.

I’m writing for Associated Content/Yahoo. I decided to stick with Textbroker at level 4. I’ll use those articles for my portfolio. I’ve made a whopping $30 writing and I’m thrilled. Suite 101 is still on my agenda.

Thanks for your wisdom and encouragement. I thank your members also for sharing helpful info.

Take care!

2. fira says:

Felicia, Thank you very much for replying, i did check your blog and it says a lot. The thing was that I was searching around so many sites and was quite overwhelmed by the information scattered around so many sites. I could’nt figure out where to look anymore, in the twist of frustration i cried for help.
    I will read up on your blogs and go about it from there.
    Thanx so much, I know where to turn to when im ‘blogged’ down the next time.

😀
    Best Regards.

3. fira says:

Wow! I got company in my boat 😀

Liz, I can empathize with your frustrations. I do hope someone answers here.

Fira & Liz, I’m glad you happened upon this blog. The reason I did not answer is because this blog has almost 300 posts that provide first hand experience from myself and my readers regarding various writing sites. I figured you would browse around and find your answers. If after reviewing the various posts and comments, if you had specific questions, I or some of the readers would try our best to answer them.

4. Liz says:

I’m with you, Fira. I’ve been writing for Examiner.com now for about 3 months, have written about 80 articles, and have made a whopping total of $84. My mileage has been more than that so I am losing money writing for them. I was a beginning writer when I started out so I was willing to settle. Now I know my strengths and am ready to rise to the next level. But with so many websites to write for, without writing for all of them and increasing my frustration, how do I decide which one has the best payoff in terms of making money and growing my reader base?

5. fira says:

Hi,
    I am working freelance through a getafreelancer.com and currently with my present employer am earning only about $1.25 per 500 word article. It is quite depressing now that I have written MORE THAN a hundred articles and have earned only about 80$ from the past 6 months! okay, for the first few months I admit I was a beginner and I could do with the experience, whatever the pay. Now, I want to explore more options which could give me that recognition and the deserving pay.
    I really am enjoying writing, but in the mean time to provide bread for my family I might have to work at an office or something (still not sure where or how to start)- Currently I am busy with my current assignments and learning Ms Office to accquire a tangible skill which could help me in my job search.
    How do I keep up with my passion, so i can eventually concentrate on that full time in the future?
    Is someone willing to advise me?
    I need help, I need guidance- which website, what to write – everything – please help!

6. Rebecca says:

Thanks, Felicia! I’m glad I found your site. I look forward to reading more.

Rebecca
    .-= Rebecca´s last blog ..The Main Credit Bureaus =-.

7. Felicia says:

Rebecca, as long as you keep working on your dream, your dream will work for you.

If you truly want to quit your day job to become a full time writer, it can be done. It takes time and patience, but it can be done.

Suite is a great tool to have in your freelance writing arsenal. I’ve found that it has been the most steady and consistent earner for me. In addition to earning money, writing for Suite has helped me improve my online writing. Their editors offer quality feedback.

Demand Studios will pay the bills immediately, but Suite’s residual income is consistent and steady.

Best of luck to you!

8. Rebecca says:

I just got accepted by DS about 10 minutes ago, so of course I’m very interested in learning about the earning potential.

Probably like a lot of people, I write for Demand Studios, Associated Content, eHow, etc. and I also have a full time job and family. I’d really like to get to the place where I can write full time and quit my day job.

I’m hoping Suite 101 can help make that a reality.

Thanks for a great blog!

Rebecca

9. Alina Bradford says:

Yay! We are free! I felt the same way when I read that on the forums. 🙂
    .-= Alina Bradford´s last blog ..Homemade Camera Filter Made From Welding Glass =-.

10. prerna says:

Yup.. One big sigh of relief.. Not that my earnings are incredibly awesome by any standards but the dancing around was a little tough,especially on forums and all. Anyways, now I look forward to reading your inspiring posts about how well your Suite earnings are doing:-)
    BTW, was interviewed by Lima and have mentioned that it was partly your blog that prompted me to apply. Angela’s was the other..
    Thanks and warm wishes,
    Prerna
    .-= prerna´s last blog ..Starting September with a Bang! =-.

11. Luvzbooks says:

I’m just getting started with writing on the Internet, so I’ve been reading blogs and articles like crazy to learn as much as possible. I’m certain that I’ll be perusing your blog in more detail as I dig deeper into the options that are out there. I’m reading voraciously about SEO and article writing, and working on polishing my skills. Thanks for the great information you’ve been posting.

12. Wendy says:

I can’t wait for solid info about earning potential. I have still only managed one article because of my writing for DS.

Your reminder about always doing your best work (from the Textbroker thread) really struck me, though.

I realized that I need to make more money per word. At one point you said that it seems to take about 6 months for an article to reach its stride.

I found, when considering eHow, that even with the idea of the article continuing to pay for the long-term, it didn’t make financial sense to write for them…the articles just don’t pay out enough, and steadily enough, to make it worthwhile.

I noticed that your experience with Suite is substantially different…

Can you give an idea (and I know, everyone’ experiences will differ) of how long it takes to begin to make a 4 cents per word rate on articles? Does that make sense at all?

For example. When you posted that chart comparing income from DS, Ehow and Suite, your income with Suite (roughly) was 5000 over 2 and a half years. That would take 5 months (or less) to earn at DS…so, of course, I feel that “cheesy” need to keep on with DS…immediate gratification and all…

Now, I *know*, since I am a pretty devoted reader, that I should be plugging away at Suite…but I kind of want to know (and I hope hope hope it’s okay to ask) what the earnings trajectory is?

If I put 100 articles on Suite, in 6 months (or one year) what should my monthly income look like? Does it begin to approach 4 cents per word? If so, when?
    .-= Wendy´s last blog ..Another day, another… =-.

13. Rachel says:

wonderful news! thanks for the heads up!
    .-= Rachel´s last blog ..August Earnings Update =-.

14. Suzanne says:

I actually got involved with Suite101 in part because of the comments you have made here on your blog. Even though I had to read between the lines, I gathered that you were quite happy with your earnings through Suite. Your experiences inspired me to get involved.

Of course, I am still a “newbie” with Suite, having published only 31 articles so far. But I can see great potential. And now that everyone is permitted to discuss their own earnings, I think that will provide even more inspiration for newbies like me to push forward.

Thanks for a great blog, Felicia!

Cheers!
    Suzanne
    .-= Suzanne´s last blog ..Tributes to Senator Ted Kennedy, Dog Lover =-.

Suzanne, that’s a tough question to answer.

Keep in mind that when I first started writing for Suite, I knew very little, if anything, about SEO and how to write for the web. Over time I learned and my web writing improved.

Factor in the learning curve, the article subject matter and the fact that I only wrote about 1 or 2 articles a week, it took me a while to get to the .04 per word rate.

I don’t know if you happened to read this article in which I pretty much explained my Suite earnings (my alias was Suzie in the article).

Although the 2009 figures are out of date because I wrote the article early in August, you can get a feel for how long it took me to reach the .04 per word rate.

There are many varying factors. You may reach your goal sooner because you have a better understanding of SEO and web writing. The woman who earned just shy of $5,000 in the month of July only had around around 220 articles or so and she’s been with the site for 2 years.

There are many varying factors, so it’s kind of hard to give you an answer.

My advice to you would be to keep writing for DS to get the up front cash while slowly building a portfolio of Suite articles.