I've earned well over $100,000 writing online. I share my writing philosophy, insider tips and lessons learned in my free Make Money Blogging book. What are you waiting for? Go and download it, it's free. You've got nothing to lose.

Content Divas – Another Writing Opportunity?

A few weeks ago one of my readers asked me if I had heard of Content Divas. I knew the name sounded familiar, but I combed the NJFM blog to see if I had written about them but couldn’t find anything.

It wasn’t until I was cleaning out my inbox that I realize I had written to them inquiring about their need for freelance writers.

Start from the Beginning

Let me back up and give a little background on Content Divas (at least the little I know about them). Content Divas is a writing service. They hire freelance writers, editors, virtual assistants and customer service reps. According to their website they’ve been in business since 2007. They also seem to run a top-notch operation.

Their information seemed interesting so I contacted them to find out about employment opportunities. Here’s the response I received (which is probably the same response my reader received):

How this Works:

Content Divas aims to provide the best quality outsourced content on the Internet. Clients come to us with their content needs, be it for articles, blogs, e-books, reports, or press releases. We then decide which writer would be best suited to a particular project. To that end, we ask that you submit a list of subjects with which you are familiar, although you should be prepared to do research and write about unfamiliar topics as well.Freelance Writer

The content we provide is written using LSI, or “latent semantic indexing.” In a nutshell, this means that we are looking for natural sounding articles that use verbiage related to the keyword rather than focusing solely on keyword density.

If you are accepted, you will be expected to write approximately 1,000 words per week day, per project.

Submission Requirements:

I need you to submit two 500-word articles of original, previously unpublished content (Content Divas has exclusive rights to all submitted materials.) You will find the submission details below. Please attach your samples to your submission email in .doc (Word document ’97/2000/2003/XP) format. Make sure to send your very best work. These attached articles will count as your job application.

1. Select one keyword from Group #1 and one keyword from Group #2 to write your articles:
Keyword Group #1: Email Marketing, SEO, Article Marketing, How to Drive Traffic to Your Website, Internet Marketing, Rogue Antispyware
Keyword Group #2: Puerto Rican Vacations, Debt Management, Diabetes in Children, Organic Gardening, Bento Boxes, Mortgage Refinancing

2. Each sample article must have the keyword listed at the top of the document (above the title). The keyword must be used in the title and within the first two sentences of the first paragraph. You cannot change the keyword in any way.

3. Please write an informative article written for a general audience. It’s in your best interests to make certain that your writing is as smooth, error-free and professional as possible.

4. Each individual article should be saved as its own document (remember, .doc) and named in this format: Your name, Sample #, keyword used
Please send writing samples to employment@contentdivas.com.

We have a great need for writers and plenty of ongoing work. We look forward to hearing from you!

Sincerely,

Content Divas

My Gut vs. My Brain

My gut tells me that Content Divas is a reputable site but my brain won’t allow me to write sample content without getting compensated for it. Show Me the MoneyThe parenthetical “Content Divas has exclusive rights to all submitted materials” sealed the deal for me.

After reading through the email a second time I noticed the expectation of writing 1,000 words per week day per project. I translate that to mean 2 articles a day, 5 days a week.

The one huge missing element in their response is “What do I get out of all this?” They do an excellent job of explaining what they want, how they want it and why they want it, but they don’t give as much as a hint as to how much a writer can earn.

Thanks, but No Thanks

Based on the information received, I decided to pass on this particular opportunity.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Bookmark and Share

Filed Under: Content DivasLegitimateOpportunities

About the Author: Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she's not writing or commenting on NJFM, she's either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites which include Tidbits and Stuff, BLULOW, A Dose of Health and a few other sites/blogs scattered around the internet.

RSSComments (48)

Leave a Reply | Trackback URL

1. Kristen says:

I was thinking about applying, but I’ve heard the pay is only 1.8 cents per word. My time is usually more valuable than that. But even more important, it’s hard to trust a company whose website is full of grammatical and punctuation errors. Take a look at their About Us page. Someone needs to teach them how to use a comma. And why their many writers have never caught the mistakes, I have no idea. Took me only a minute of looking at the page. lol

2. Rob says:

I worked for Content Divas for about a year, and stopped for two years, and just recently reapplied. For some odd reason my “articles” were just not “up-to-snuff” like the were two years ago? I guess my ability to write informative articles about bullshit like Holistic Medicine or Debt Management just went into the deep end? haha. Really though, if you’re a girl, these people are great. It’s a company owned and run by women. I felt like I was walking on eggshells working for these guys and still feel like they hold a grudge against me or something. The money isn’t great, but it’s competitive. They don’t play favorites but several of the people on the team do act very self-important. I have mixed feelings about content divas. If I were you, I’d look somewhere else.

3. Genevieve says:

I have been going round and round those article mills. Too many of them look like scams. People per Hour is run by a nice bunch of people – one of the few sites that insist that their writers get paid a reasonable amount. I signed up again with Elance, and my experience with them is better than I expected it would be. Both of these sites want to see some examples of your work and your grammar skills.

Otherwise, I have come to the conclusion that if I am going to write articles for a blog, I’m better off writing them for my own blog. With Amazon, you can sell books and other products from your own blog, and not have to pay a middle-man for the advertising space. It’s your blog, so you can write about what interests you. Check out being an Amazon affiliate. After that, it’s ads you put up on the internet and word of mouth.

PS – if the articles on your blog are really well written, then you can use them as samples for your portfolio.

Oh, and if you want to send out a monthly newsletter about what you do, Madmimi dot com offers a really nice program for people working on a shoestring. And if you have a book, or a collection of essays, or short stories to publish, check out Smashwords dot com.

4. taseer ali says:

Hi guys.Filicia your blog is quite interesting.Cheers!!

I have gone through the same phase so i thought it would be good to add some pennies to the topic.As far as the advice is concerned to write for a content mill you can join Textbroker or Thecontentauthority. I am personally working for both of these and never had payment issues. Though they dont pay very well like the Level 1 Pays you $3.50 for 500 words. You can make a good residual income if you are promoted to a more professional level.TB pays up to $25 per 500 words for there professional authors but requires rigorous attention to your writing skills.

get in touch if you need any thing else.
    Thanks again and best of luck:)

5. Rachel says:

Content Divas is worst than Demand Studios, that’s why people keep going back to Demand; because for all the complaints, they give you seven days to write and research an article with possibly one rewrite before rejection. Content Divas wants every article turned in within 24 hours and the pay is low. What you’ll do is grind away the hours writing for CD for low pay rather. I signed up, but never wrote for them. Oh, at Demand Studios when you choose an article, it’s yours to write. At Content Divas, not so, you can choose an article and be qualified to write and still you may not get the assignment.

• Science2 says:

You are so right about Content Divas. I signed up and was accepted by CD. I tried to get an assignment only to find out that I was, in essence, bidding against other writers on the CD website.

I just couldn’t bring myself to continue trying to get in on that “game”. Another thing that was rather fishy is that they copyedit with a requirement that you do a couple of rewrites. That is standard and may not have anything to do with quality, but with CD writing requirements.

Also, writers must type over the required length of words requested by their client so that copyeditors can edit down to the required length. So, if the actual article from the client demands 800 words, Content Divas wants its writers to write 1000 words. It was just too much, for the pay is low, to bother with, not to mention confusion of trying to get an article in the first place.

6. Susan says:

I have worked for Divas. I wrote four or five packages for them up through the beginning of March this year. At that point my mother (with end stage Alzheimer Disease) became ill, and eventually died on March 24. I put myself on Unavailable on the web site since I had a lot of things to take care of, and was not in the best of shape for writing web content at that time.

In late July or early August, I tried to access the web site where I could look at available writing projects and discovered that I was no longer able to do so. I wrote to the company, and they said they had had trouble with the website, and reinstated me.

I got a few emails after that, the last one having arrived on August 9th. I tried again today to log on with my user name and password, and once again found I could not log on. I am not happy.

7. Edward G Gordon says:

Hi,

I am new to online writing and at present I am just gathering information. I have signed on to Words of Worth, an English company, but unfortunately they have a six month backlog. I have considered writing articles for the likes of Hubpages, Factoidz etc because I lack a) Experience and b) a portfolio of work, but I am not sure that this is the way to go.

I really need to work as I am unemployed at present. I just don’t want to get sucked into a low paying, demoralizing series of jobs. I am a natural English speaker and my writing skills are of a good calibre. Does anyone have any advice as to avenues that I might take in my search for an online income. Information on good companies to work for would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers and thanks in advance.

P.S

I have been looking for some writing advice for a while now but I have to say Felicia that this is by far the most interesting blog I have yet to come across. I am a fan.