Content Divas – Another Writing Opportunity?

| August 25, 2009 | 48 Comments

A few weeks ago one of my readers asked me if I had heard of Content Divas. I knew the name sounded familiar, but I combed the NJFM blog to see if I had written about them but couldn’t find anything.

It wasn’t until I was cleaning out my inbox that I realize I had written to them inquiring about their need for freelance writers.

Start from the Beginning

Let me back up and give a little background on Content Divas (at least the little I know about them). Content Divas is a writing service. They hire freelance writers, editors, virtual assistants and customer service reps. According to their website they’ve been in business since 2007. They also seem to run a top-notch operation.

Their information seemed interesting so I contacted them to find out about employment opportunities. Here’s the response I received (which is probably the same response my reader received):

How this Works:

Content Divas aims to provide the best quality outsourced content on the Internet. Clients come to us with their content needs, be it for articles, blogs, e-books, reports, or press releases. We then decide which writer would be best suited to a particular project. To that end, we ask that you submit a list of subjects with which you are familiar, although you should be prepared to do research and write about unfamiliar topics as well.Freelance Writer

The content we provide is written using LSI, or “latent semantic indexing.” In a nutshell, this means that we are looking for natural sounding articles that use verbiage related to the keyword rather than focusing solely on keyword density.

If you are accepted, you will be expected to write approximately 1,000 words per week day, per project.

Submission Requirements:

I need you to submit two 500-word articles of original, previously unpublished content (Content Divas has exclusive rights to all submitted materials.) You will find the submission details below. Please attach your samples to your submission email in .doc (Word document ’97/2000/2003/XP) format. Make sure to send your very best work. These attached articles will count as your job application.

1. Select one keyword from Group #1 and one keyword from Group #2 to write your articles:
Keyword Group #1: Email Marketing, SEO, Article Marketing, How to Drive Traffic to Your Website, Internet Marketing, Rogue Antispyware
Keyword Group #2: Puerto Rican Vacations, Debt Management, Diabetes in Children, Organic Gardening, Bento Boxes, Mortgage Refinancing

2. Each sample article must have the keyword listed at the top of the document (above the title). The keyword must be used in the title and within the first two sentences of the first paragraph. You cannot change the keyword in any way.

3. Please write an informative article written for a general audience. It’s in your best interests to make certain that your writing is as smooth, error-free and professional as possible.

4. Each individual article should be saved as its own document (remember, .doc) and named in this format: Your name, Sample #, keyword used
Please send writing samples to

We have a great need for writers and plenty of ongoing work. We look forward to hearing from you!

Content Divas

My Gut vs. My Brain

My gut tells me that Content Divas is a reputable site but my brain won’t allow me to write sample content without getting compensated for it. Show Me the MoneyThe parenthetical “Content Divas has exclusive rights to all submitted materials” sealed the deal for me.

After reading through the email a second time I noticed the expectation of writing 1,000 words per week day per project. I translate that to mean 2 articles a day, 5 days a week.

The one huge missing element in their response is “What do I get out of all this?” They do an excellent job of explaining what they want, how they want it and why they want it, but they don’t give as much as a hint as to how much a writer can earn.

Thanks, but No Thanks

Based on the information received, I decided to pass on this particular opportunity.

Tags: , , , , ,

Category: Content Divas, Legitimate, Opportunities

Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she's not writing or commenting on NJFM, she's either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites which include Tidbits and Stuff, BLULOW, A Dose of Health and a few other sites/blogs scattered around the internet.

1. Kristen says:

I was thinking about applying, but I’ve heard the pay is only 1.8 cents per word. My time is usually more valuable than that. But even more important, it’s hard to trust a company whose website is full of grammatical and punctuation errors. Take a look at their About Us page. Someone needs to teach them how to use a comma. And why their many writers have never caught the mistakes, I have no idea. Took me only a minute of looking at the page. lol

2. Rob says:

I worked for Content Divas for about a year, and stopped for two years, and just recently reapplied. For some odd reason my “articles” were just not “up-to-snuff” like the were two years ago? I guess my ability to write informative articles about bullshit like Holistic Medicine or Debt Management just went into the deep end? haha. Really though, if you’re a girl, these people are great. It’s a company owned and run by women. I felt like I was walking on eggshells working for these guys and still feel like they hold a grudge against me or something. The money isn’t great, but it’s competitive. They don’t play favorites but several of the people on the team do act very self-important. I have mixed feelings about content divas. If I were you, I’d look somewhere else.

3. Genevieve says:

I have been going round and round those article mills. Too many of them look like scams. People per Hour is run by a nice bunch of people – one of the few sites that insist that their writers get paid a reasonable amount. I signed up again with Elance, and my experience with them is better than I expected it would be. Both of these sites want to see some examples of your work and your grammar skills.

Otherwise, I have come to the conclusion that if I am going to write articles for a blog, I’m better off writing them for my own blog. With Amazon, you can sell books and other products from your own blog, and not have to pay a middle-man for the advertising space. It’s your blog, so you can write about what interests you. Check out being an Amazon affiliate. After that, it’s ads you put up on the internet and word of mouth.

PS – if the articles on your blog are really well written, then you can use them as samples for your portfolio.

Oh, and if you want to send out a monthly newsletter about what you do, Madmimi dot com offers a really nice program for people working on a shoestring. And if you have a book, or a collection of essays, or short stories to publish, check out Smashwords dot com.

4. taseer ali says:

Hi guys.Filicia your blog is quite interesting.Cheers!!

I have gone through the same phase so i thought it would be good to add some pennies to the topic.As far as the advice is concerned to write for a content mill you can join Textbroker or Thecontentauthority. I am personally working for both of these and never had payment issues. Though they dont pay very well like the Level 1 Pays you $3.50 for 500 words. You can make a good residual income if you are promoted to a more professional level.TB pays up to $25 per 500 words for there professional authors but requires rigorous attention to your writing skills.

get in touch if you need any thing else.
    Thanks again and best of luck:)

5. Rachel says:

Content Divas is worst than Demand Studios, that’s why people keep going back to Demand; because for all the complaints, they give you seven days to write and research an article with possibly one rewrite before rejection. Content Divas wants every article turned in within 24 hours and the pay is low. What you’ll do is grind away the hours writing for CD for low pay rather. I signed up, but never wrote for them. Oh, at Demand Studios when you choose an article, it’s yours to write. At Content Divas, not so, you can choose an article and be qualified to write and still you may not get the assignment.

• Science2 says:

You are so right about Content Divas. I signed up and was accepted by CD. I tried to get an assignment only to find out that I was, in essence, bidding against other writers on the CD website.

I just couldn’t bring myself to continue trying to get in on that “game”. Another thing that was rather fishy is that they copyedit with a requirement that you do a couple of rewrites. That is standard and may not have anything to do with quality, but with CD writing requirements.

Also, writers must type over the required length of words requested by their client so that copyeditors can edit down to the required length. So, if the actual article from the client demands 800 words, Content Divas wants its writers to write 1000 words. It was just too much, for the pay is low, to bother with, not to mention confusion of trying to get an article in the first place.

6. Susan says:

I have worked for Divas. I wrote four or five packages for them up through the beginning of March this year. At that point my mother (with end stage Alzheimer Disease) became ill, and eventually died on March 24. I put myself on Unavailable on the web site since I had a lot of things to take care of, and was not in the best of shape for writing web content at that time.

In late July or early August, I tried to access the web site where I could look at available writing projects and discovered that I was no longer able to do so. I wrote to the company, and they said they had had trouble with the website, and reinstated me.

I got a few emails after that, the last one having arrived on August 9th. I tried again today to log on with my user name and password, and once again found I could not log on. I am not happy.

7. Edward G Gordon says:

I am new to online writing and at present I am just gathering information. I have signed on to Words of Worth, an English company, but unfortunately they have a six month backlog. I have considered writing articles for the likes of Hubpages, Factoidz etc because I lack a) Experience and b) a portfolio of work, but I am not sure that this is the way to go.

I really need to work as I am unemployed at present. I just don’t want to get sucked into a low paying, demoralizing series of jobs. I am a natural English speaker and my writing skills are of a good calibre. Does anyone have any advice as to avenues that I might take in my search for an online income. Information on good companies to work for would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers and thanks in advance.

I have been looking for some writing advice for a while now but I have to say Felicia that this is by far the most interesting blog I have yet to come across. I am a fan.

8. Gina says:

I don’t know. $18 for 1000 words? Not when people are making $20 for 400-word articles. It sounds like a very legitimate business to work with, but I think you can find better rates somewhere else.
    Gina recently posted…Make Money Writing and Selling 7 Dollar Info ProductsMy Profile

9. Bianca says:

From the above post, it looks like Content Divas charges clients $800 for 22, 000 words but only pays writers $400 for that work. I’m not sure I feel comfortable with a company that keeps 50% of the profits when the writer does the majority of the work.

Bianca, you must do what works best for you. As far as Content Diva’s pay scale goes, or any online site’s pay scale goes, I’m sure Content Diva incurs a lot of administrative expenses, not to mention the work put in soliciting clients in order to have work to pay its writers.

I don’t write for Content Diva, but I don’t begrudge them their 50% share. There’s a lot of behind the scenes work involved that we’re not privy to.

10. Chantelle says:

Good Afternoon,

I was doing some research on Content Divas and came across this blog. I was interested in hiring content divas for a 22,000 word package. They charge $800 for this but if anyone was interested in charging less (through with a payment made to an escrow account for security), I would be happy to hire them. The articles would need to be broken up into 450 words each. I would need articles on bird watching/backyard bird feeding. I would use the articles to help rank for certain keywords. If anyone is interested please send an email to Look forward to hearing from you.

11. Sharon says:

What an informative blog! I enjoy dropping by, and getting the skinny on content sites.

12. Erin says:

Hi Everyone,

I have been working for Content Divas for over a year now, and I have quickly advanced into a profitable, full time job.

The thing to remember is that they aren’t doing copywrite here. These are just social media articles. If I do work for a branding company, my rate goes way up, but so does my time that I put in.

I often churned out 4 articles per hour on some of these projects, and I love the schedule. It has also helped me be more productive in my research for articles with higher expectations. I know how to get extremely creative. I could easily write 30 brand new articles on the exact keyword a month. Plus, I have a broad range of SEO knowledge.

13. Arvind Arora says:

Hi Anita,

Thanks for your concern. By the way, I contacted Content Divas directly a few days ago, and this was what I received from them as a reply:-

“From – Employment Screener
    To – Arvind Arora
    Oct 21, 2009 1:40 AM
    subject – Re: I would like to work for Content Divas

Hi Arvind,

We are currently only hiring in the US.

Thank you for our interest!

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 12:58 PM, Arvind Arora wrote:

Hi there,

I am a freelance writer from India, and have been engaged in writing for various U.S. and International Clients upon a variety of topics since the past 4 years. I’ve got extensive experience in writing and editing, and know how to write for the U.S. clients in the style they need the content to be written in.

I would like to work for your company. Please let me know how can I join your team, and the test procedures I will have to go through for that, if any.

With heartfelt thanks and regards,

Arvind Arora”

I guess nothing is left now in asking them regarding the issue, when they categorically state they are not hiring from anywhere but the US as of now. Anyways, you may try your luck, my best wishes are with you!!

– Arvind Arora

14. Felicia says:

Anita, you have a point. It never hurts to go directly to the source.

15. Anita Saran says:

Hi Thanks to this blog I found Content Divas. I am currently doing test articles for them and they said nothing about my being in India. I’m sure they know this from the bit about me I sent them initially. No harm in asking them directly, Arvind. They’re nice people.

.-= Anita Saran´s last blog ..Easy Ways to Increase Google AdSense Earnings =-.

16. Arvind Arora says:

It’s been a long time that I couldn’t come in touch with you, and I deeply apologize for the same as I was a bit too dabbled into some family affairs for the last couple of days. By the way, last week we had Diwali, the biggest festival of Indians, full of lights, crackers and sweets… So wishing here you a (bit belated) very very happy and prosperous Diwali.

Regarding the Content Divas opportunity, the above mentioned email that Lisa received from the site owners reads “Please note, we only hire US English as first language writers. If you are overseas, or an outsourcer, please do not respond to this email. If you are found to be so, after hire, you will be terminated immediately.”

I would just like to know, does it mean I or any other writer can’t write for Content Divas if we are from India?

Please try to look into the matter and let me know the truth. I hope and trust, as always, you will again emerge as a winner as far as helping the Non-U.S. Freelance Writers such as me are concerned.

Heartfelt thanks and regards again,

Arvind Arora

Hi Avrind,

A belated happy Diwali to you too!

From the portion of the email you quoted, it seems to be pretty self evident. It looks like Content Diva only wants to hire US writers.

Although Content Divas may not work out for you since you are in India, there are other writing venues. Check out my today’s post on Digital Journal. They accept international writers and they look promising.

17. Deborah says:

They said my articles were not valuable and they had no use for them. Ouch! That’s alright though, since I’ve had a bit of a busy schedule lately and would not have been able to commit to that much writing each day. I’m waiting to see what says. *crosses fingers* Wish me luck, guys. To everyone here, thanks for all the positivity and encouragement. I love to read everyone’s opinions about various opportunities.

18. Victoria Baziuk says:

Well I finally got a response back from Content Divas and they said they didn’t have any positions for me that would suit their needs. Wow, what bummer. I was hoping to make some extra money! I guess I will continue searching. Thanks for writing about these leads though!

Sorry to hear that it didn’t work out for you.

Well, when one door closes another opens. I’m sure you’ll find something else. There’s plenty out there on the internet.

Did you check out the opportunities in the NJFM Database?

19. Marilyn says:

I responded to an ad for transcribing, not writing, for Content Divas. I am curious to know if there are others who provide transcription services for them. It seems as though the pay is good for transcription and, I must be honest, I thought I’d check out Content Divas via transcription first, then I’ll see if I can write original articles myself for them. Thank you so much for this blog and all the responses.

20. Jo Upton says:

I agree with you completely…too much work for too little pay. I have been doing freelance and other types of writing for more than 20 years. My first published work was written for religious organizations…non-profits who have very little money for materials, yet I seldom earned less than $350 for a 400-800 word article. If I decide to commit to 1,000 words daily, I’m going to be writing a book!

21. Deborah says:

I applied to them over a week ago and never heard anything. It’s probably for the best though if they only pay less than $10 per 1,000 word article. That’s incredibly insulting.

According to what was posted here, they’re actually paying $18 per 1,000 word article. If that rate is acceptable to you, maybe you should follow up with them.

22. Todd says:

I appreciate the information here. I am considering writing for them.

I agree that the pay rate is almost offensively low, but as one other poster remarked, a 1,000 word article can be churned out in an hour if you have a good work habit.

Here is the thing to remember: they are called “content divas” and they are simply looking for that: content. They are not asking for articles of the quality that would be published in Vanity Fair or The New York Times or even your local small-town paper – they just want web content that is brief, intelligent, and factually correct. Why? So that people searching for information on certain topics will find their clients’ sites based on keywords…why again? so that the clients owning these sites can drive web traffic and therefore charge advertisers to place ads on their site. It is no different than starting a blog and driving traffic to it in order to monetize the blog.

The bottom line: you are just helping to drive traffic. That is why you see your material appear on so many sites.

The going rate for this type of writing is very low.

As a final point: the above post I just wrote was nearly 200 words and I did it in about 5 minutes – granted I did no research and did not edit it – but if you want to make such an assignment work for you, you have to be able churn it out, and it isn’t that difficult.

23. Lisa says:

I received my response from Content Divas last night. The first thing I noticed was how truly boring the “test” article topics are. I just could not find it in me to begin to choose from them. So, I went on a fact-finding mission and found all of you.

I will post the response I received from them at the end of this note.

The deal-breaker for me with Content Divas is the embarrassingly low rate of pay. I work for another site that pays OVER double what Content Divas is offering.

Here is the response I received from Content Divas last night:

Thanks so much for your interest in contracting with Content Divas. The demand for good quality writing is growing like wildfire and we’re hiring more writers to keep up with our client’s needs.

In order to help determine whether or not you are qualified to write for us, we ask that you please submit one 400-500 and one 250-300 word blog style piece. You may choose from each piece from one of the below two groups. Please choose one from each group, it does not matter which article comes from which group.

Article #1 Group: Email Marketing, SEO, Article Marketing, How to drive traffic to your website, Internet marketing, Twitter tips

Article #2 Group: Puerto Rican Vacations, Debt Management, Diabetes in Children, Real Estate in Washington, Spyware

We ask you to write these two articles so that we can see your ability to research a topic and submit a quality piece within a reasonable amount of time. The shorter blog piece is an opportunity to show that you can write an informative piece in a more conversational style.

Note: We do not retain rights to this content. This is your content. It is used to determine your capabilities alone. Content Divas does not retain rights, publish or sell your work without your express permission and payment.

Here are a few other things you might want to be aware of before you spend your time writing and submitting content for review.

1. All staff members are 1099 independent contractors. We will not withhold taxes. We will issue you a 1099 at the end of the year and you will be responsible for your own taxes.

2. Our company is not set up for writers that just want to work now and then. When we look at how many writers we have on staff, this helps us determine how much work we can take on. So if you’re not looking to work regularly, this will not be a good fit for you.

3. You will have to provide us with your name, address, phone number and social security number or tax id number in order to work with us. This information is not shared with anyone except our accountant who issues your 1099 at the end of the year.

4. You will be asked to sign an NDA to protect our client’s content and our own as well as a contract with our company. Note: The contract does not require you to work for us for any specific amount of time and it does not require you to work ONLY for us. You are welcome to continue freelancing outside of Content Divas. The contract is mostly you agreeing that you are being hired as a ghost writer and don’t retain rights to the content that you are paid to write for the clients. It also contains a non-compete agreement stating you won’t create a competing outsourcing company, etc. All standard protections, nothing that would bind a writer to working for us, etc.

Compensation varies with projects outside of our standard packages. All pay is project-based and you will be made aware of payment before you accept a project. As I mentioned, the prices do fluctuate if we get a project that is a much higher research need, etc, but in general, the following is what we pay:

Articles/Blog posts: 18.00 per 1000 words.

Ebooks/Reports: 20.00 per 400 words.

Press Releases: 50.00 each.

All projects that are 7 days worth of submission in length or more receive a 50% deposit up front and the remainder within one week of completion. All projects less than 7 days worth of submission are paid out within one-week of completion.

Get Out Of Jail Free Clause:

Once you are accepted and have submitted your information for taxes and signed our NDA/Contract, you will be added to basecamp and given a copy of our writers training guide. The first 3 projects that you accept have a get out of jail free card meaning that if you feel like working through Content Divas isn’t a good match for you, then you can say so and we will remove you from our system with no hard feelings. Likewise, if we feel your style just isn’t a good fit for us, we’ll let you know.

I think that’s about it for the preliminary information! Thanks so much for applying. The writers are the lifeblood of our company and we take good care of them. J If you have any questions, please email them to

Thanks for sharing the updated Content Diva response.

As far as rate of pay (I edited out your comment on writers and pay rate), it looks like Content Diva increased their rate.

I’ve given my opinion on freelance writing pay rates in my article: Why Some Writers Accept Such Low Pay Rates. Sometimes you gotta walk a mile in the other person’s shoes to understand how they tick. 😀

24. Brad Carroll says:

@Felicia: I see what you’re saying, hope I did not offend. There are certainly a multitude of right ways to go about this. Reading your blog has made me reconsider Suite 101 as an option.

@Heidi full projects (22K words) pay around $100 bucks I think. Different sized projects pay proportionally.

@Autumn I understand about the pay rate, that is why I decided to stop on the articles. I did keep doing work for them after I stopped accepting anything less than $.03/word (now $.04) from other clients, because they were dependable, supplied consistent work (sometimes at higher rates), paid on time, and were generally easy to deal with.

As for the free samples, I just got word from the owner that they are not now considered property of Divas and authors are free to sell them wherever they can.

Thanks for the update Brad.

Your last sentence has changed my view on Content Divas. The fact that they have changed their policy on submitting free samples means a lot to me and other freelance writers.

As long as a writer is satisfied with the rate at which Content Divas pays its writers, from some of the comments I’ve received here, I think it sounds like a reliable writing gig. They sound like they’re trying to work WITH the writers to make the experience better for everyone.

Thanks again Brad.

25. Autumn says:

I have considered working for them, but the free samples and very low pay rate turn me off. That’s not even $.02 per word; I would consider editing for that rate only. I would guess it’s a good way to start off writing, though.

26. Heidi says:

Any word on how much they pay editors?
    .-= Heidi´s last blog ..VIDEO: Shakira and Susan Boyle perform on America’s Got Talent finale =-.

27. julia kelso says:

I also work for ContentDivas. This is my first experience doing freelance writing, so while I’m a little surprised by some of the comments on pay, it could be ignorance. There is plenty of time to research a project before it starts and as 1000 word article or 2 500 etc can be written in an hour, I think the pay rate is quite good. Yes, you have to get several projects to make this a full-time job, but still.

They are, in my opinion, really good to work for. I’ve never had to wait more than 24 hours for a response, which is less time than I’ve had to in offices and academia. They’re also quite supportive of their writers and seem to be working to evolve when it comes to dealing with questions, problems, issues, etc. The question of wanting to retain rights to samples has already been brought up by the owner and explained — they were getting cheated and she was trying to deal with it this way, but is seeking an alternative solution. In other words, they are human and unlike a lot of people I’ve worked for, willing to learn as they go and make changes where needed.

28. Mel says:

I write for Content Divas…and yeah, not saying how much they pay was pretty weird. It was my first freelance writing job and I really wanted the work, so I just went for it and it has worked out fine. Apparently they didn’t mean to hide the information, but were just being a little ignorant. I hear it’s in the info letter now.

The company is run by a couple of work at home mom’s who seem to do most of the work on the night-owl shift, so email responses aren’t as timely as they might be and their “base camp” website where assignments are posted can be challenging to get started with so if you are really sensitive about that, you might not be too comfortable working with them, but despite the challenges, it’s a very legit company and they have steady work. The staff, editors and other writers have all been very nice and they have a supportive attitude towards their writers.

I’ve been writing for them for about six months, I think, and never had an article rejected. I understand not wanting to give away your work, but for for me, doing the required samples was a good investment.

29. Mary says:

Very well presented. My reservations were the same as yours.

30. Brad Carroll says:

I’ve taken work from Divas since April or May 2008. Each project is 1,000 words a day. Full-size projects last for 22 days and half-size projects last for 11. They occasionally do sizes that aren’t quite 22K or 11K words, but this is how it generally goes.

The former pay $400 and the latter, $200, each with half paid up-front. As far as I know, they always start new writers out with a single project to make sure the writer does a good job, turns everything in on time, etc. As far as I know, they still pay more per word if you do an ebook, report, or other long piece.

They have enough work that several writers are able to make full-time income with them. Several others are working part time, moonlighting, etc.

I don’t write articles for them anymore but I do some press releases and virtual assistant work. My girlfriend writes and edits for them. They’ve alway been good to us.

When I -was- writing articles, two of their clients wanted to see samples of my writing before they put me on the job, and Divas paid me for the samples.

As far as for the initial samples, no, they don’t pay for them. It’s kind of like a “try out”. Knowing them as well as I do, I highly doubt they would use your sample content for a project without paying for it.

If I had been stingy or paranoid and not written those initial samples for them, I would’ve lost out on several thousand dollars AND consistent work. But to each their own, I guess.

Brad, welcome to NJFM.

I’m glad that Content Diva’s worked out for you. It’s good to hear that you have earned so much with them.

As far as providing free samples, I don’t quite find it paranoid or stingy. After many years as a writer and the last couple of years as an online freelance writer, I make it a practice not to give the milk away for free. I call it a business decision.

It’s quite obvious that Content Divas worked out well for you and I’m glad that you shared your success with us. We tend to make it a habit here at NJFM to uplift our fellow writers by sharing our experiences, both good and bad. This is a judgment free zone. Your decision worked out well for you as do my decisions work well for me.

The beauty of this blog is that we get to share our various experiences and different opinions which helps other writers to view freelance writing from different angles. There is no one right or wrong way to become a successful freelance writer.

31. wordygirl says:

Hello, I am the one who asked you about this group. I did receive the same info you received above, but I also asked for more info about pay and this is what she sent:
    Writing payments:

“We do a lot of full and half article packages.

Full packages are 22,000 words written over 22 days, 1,000 words submitted per day. The writer gets paid $400.
    Half packages are 11,000 words written over 11 days 1,000 words submitted per day. The writer gets paid $200.
    The CYR package are smaller than the packages above. When you divide the packages above it comes out to $18 per 1,000 words.”

I’m sure they are very nice people to work for, and I’m sure they won’t mind that I put this here since this is what they offer. But I only have time to write two articles per day, and I couldn’t live on $400 per month if I only wrote for them.

Hope this helps someone!

Thanks WordyGirl for the info.

After reading your comment, I did a little web snooping to find out how folks are making out writing for Content Divas.

It looks as though writers are generally happy writing for them according to this forum. The payment method seems a bit confusing, but writers seem to be okay with it.

Comment Edited: 8/28/09

32. Rachel says:

Hmmm. I think I would pass up this opportunity as well. Two articles a day seems like a lot to commit to. Thanks for the review.
    .-= Rachel´s last blog ..The Newspaper as a Writer’s Inspiration =-.

33. Tess says:

I do work for Content Diva’s, and although I won’t say how much they pay, I will say that they are a very legitimate company that pays on time, every time. I have worked for them since February, along with my other ghostwriting clients. If you want a few extra hundred per month, it’s a very good (and continuous, if you do good work) site.

Thanks for your input, Tess. It’s good to hear from current Content Divas writers.

I’m still curious, however, as to how much they pay.

• Sarah says:

I have worked for them, too, and have nothing but issues. They were consistently late in payment and it required hounding to get my funds. And, it would sometimes take forever to get an assignment. If you’re really desperate, I guess it’s ok. They pay around $8 for a 500 word article. Not great, by any stretch and then they want stellar work for $8. I don’t think so…

34. Eve says:

Excellent review. I absolutely do not like the fact that they retain the rights to your sample work. What exactly are they planning to do with it? From what Bill says, it looks like they’re paying Textbroker wages, and TB doesn’t require this amount of work just to write for them.
    .-= Eve´s last blog ..The People I’ll Miss =-.

35. Bill says:

Content Gurus is another firm like this. They don’t tell you the pay until after you are hired. Content Gurus paid $3 per 450-600 word article and they came in groups of five to seven. You churn out maybe 1,000 words and get paid $12 for it. The deadlines are tight usually for companies like this.

The fun thing about these companies, is that after you write for them you can go searching for your work. I was paid $3 per article and found the article word for word on six unrelated sites. And its even more fun when you find your work as a blog entry from some expert.

It’s a good way to get started, and to learn how to stay on deadline. But if you care about what happens to your work, don’t bother.

36. Sowmya says:

This is indeed interesting! Frankly Content Divas was on my list of ‘potential’ buyers, but after hearing this I am not sure anymore. The ‘2 original samples’ is one thing, giving up total rights is another entirely. I mean especially since they outright say it’s ‘free’ essentially! And there’s not a word about the paycheck, I mean come on writers need to pay bills too!

Whew! The nerve of these buyers!

37. jen says:

Great review! I’m curious to know, also, what the pay might be. If it is exceptional, it might be worth it. However, I have my doubts.

…anxious to hear from someone who might already write for them…
    .-= jen´s last blog ..It All Starts with Pennies =-.