It’s All in the Mind

| August 13, 2009 | 7 Comments

It’s amazing how easy a task becomes when the mind is properly adjusted.

I think I’ve mentioned a few times before that I basically write the minimum amount of articles necessary to honor my Suite 101 writing contract.  I write about an article a week.

Each week I would approach the article with dread. “Ugh! Another third-person article.” I would start writing in the morning, get up from the computer, do a whole bunch of necessary and unnecessary stuff, then come back groaning and moaning about writing the article.Money Talks

Usually, before I went to bed at night, I would get the article completed and up on the site. “Whew, one week down, no more third person writing until next week.”

Money Talks

One day I analyzed my Suite 101 earnings compared to my other writing venues. My articles placed on Suite 101 have the highest per article financial return out of all of my online writing venues. Hmmm, can you say change of mind? Money really does talk.

The per article value coupled with the fact that recently a writer came just shy of hitting the $5,000 per month payout for the site, forced me to looked at Suite 101 in a whole new light.

The Mind is a Powerful Tool

Beginning last Tuesday, I started writing one article a day (off on weekends) for Suite. Equipped with my new mindset, I found that I was able to create new content in record time (at least for me). Depending on the subject matter, it takes me anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour and 30 minutes.

Not only have I reduced the time it takes for me to write articles, I find that writing in the third person is not so bad after all. I’ve actually written Teenagera few articles on sites other than Suite in the third person (not to worry, NJFM is strictly a first and second person writing forum).

All I’m saying is that when faced with a particularly distasteful situation, sometimes all it takes is looking at it from a different view to make the situation bearable, or even enjoyable.

Now, to adjust my mind to the fact that my teenaged son is a newly licensed driver. Hmmm, I think I need to meditate on that one a bit longer…

Tags: , , ,

Category: Legitimate, Motivation, Opportunities, Suite 101

1. Heidi says:

Suite just blogged about who the mystery $5k writer is. Looks like she’s in your section (or similar area of expertise), Felicia, which I take as a good sign for you. 🙂

One of the reasons I like writing for Suite is that every writer can write on any given topic. Therefore, it levels the playing field for everyone.

We all have the ability to earn $5,000 a month writing for suite. That was an inspirational blog post. I think all Suite writers will be taking our writing a little more seriously after reading it.

2. Rhonda says:

Hello, I love your blog! It has been very helpful to me. I was wondering, have you heard of Content Divas? They recently asked me to send in two 500 word articles about specific keywords after I applied with them. They didn’t give any info about pay or article availability, and I cant seem to find anything out about them online. Do you know anything about them?
    Thanks!

Hi Rhonda,

All I can say is that I’ve heard of them. They are one of the sites on my ‘To Do’ list. I wanted to check them out too.

If anyone else has had any experience with Content Divas, we’d love to hear your take on them.

3. prerna says:

I agree with the ‘it’s in the mind’ thing. For me, it’s gotta do with the weather. When I keep moaning about the heat, I feel miserable and when I don’t think about it, it seems just fine..
    On a writing note, I’ve gotten so used to writing in 3rd person, that writing in the 1st or 2nd person has become tough**LOL**
    Hope you’re seeing a difference in earnings with more articles up, do keep us posted!!
    Blessings always..
    .-= prerna´s last blog ..Being a Writer: My Suite 101 Experiment Week 2 Update =-.

4. Rachel says:

I actually don’t mind writing in third person. It tends to clean up my writing and I omit needless words that I would have included if using first or second person. But I guess since I am a fresh college grad, I am used to writing in such an impersonal and objective manner.
    .-= Rachel´s last blog ..Researching for eHow Article Topics and Keywords =-.

5. Deanna says:

Hello Felicia,

I enjoy hearing that you are having such good success on Suite101. I only have 12 articles there so far and have yet to see a good payout. However, I have noted that if I place articles on there more frequently, my pay raises. So I do see the potential of earning well there if I would commit to writing more frequently. Like you, I dread that third person – so many times the articles sound impersonal to me. But I will also work on my mindset and see if I can contribute more. Money does talk! 🙂
    .-= Deanna´s last blog ..How to Write an Article that will Sell or Make High Residual Income =-.