Internet Brands – Another Freelance Writing Opportunity

| August 6, 2009 | 38 Comments

As I was browsing around the internet the other day I came across a site called Internet Brands. Apparently they provide content for several popular websites and seem to have a few positions available for freelance writers. I visited their Career page and inserted the term “writer” in their search function and found some interesting results. Internet Brands

It looks like they update their employment search database from time to time so it would make sense to check back on a regular basis.

The payment isn’t very high, but the word count requirement isn’t either. For example, the travel writer position pays $4 for 150 to 250 words and $10 for longer articles between 400-600 words.

I’m not sure exactly how the payment works whether they pay weekly or monthly, but anyone looking for a writing gig that is non residual, take a look see.

If anyone currently writes for them, please give us a heads up by sharing your experience with Internet Brands.

Tags: , , ,

Category: Freelance, Legitimate, Opportunities, Writing

Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she's not writing or commenting on NJFM, she's either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites which include Tidbits and Stuff, BLULOW, A Dose of Health and a few other sites/blogs scattered around the internet.

1. milo says:

writing for ib is good because of the money…but i dont like it how they change their standards or how different editors tell you to change different things.

i like working for the content authority because their articles are short and they do not send them back to me.

ib articles take more time…

i am wondering what other options there is..i tried constant content, textbroker, and the content authority…are there any other websites that are worth working for?

2. Karl says:

@AnneG – would you mind sharing the other company you write for?

3. milo says:

this message is for AnnG

what other company do you write for? can you share?

4. AnneG says:

I’ve been writing for IB for 2+ years now. It’s been really slow these past few months, so you take what you can get and I have other better paying jobs that take priority. You can choose 5 articles at a time and then have five days to complete each article. It would be nice to see the editors also have to abide by that 5-day deadline. I’ve had articles go a full month before they’re approved/edited and that’s not great when pay is only issued once a month.

Pay is 500 words for $10. I’ve never run into many edits, which seems unusual based on everything I’ve read here from others. I’ve found the key to writing the articles they want is to stay simplistic. Start using big words and that’s when I usually get an article bounced back for editing.

When I first started, we got reports monthly on how well your articles were doing traffic-wise. Since then, there’s no feedback ever. I don’t even think the person who “hired” me is with the company anymore, so I have no idea who my current editor is. That leads me to another suggestion I have for the site. If an article is bounced back for editing, there is no way to contact the “editor”. I once had an article bounced back for formatting “errors” (I didn’t indent paragraphs, bold all incidents of the keyword, bold all subtitles). Yet, nothing about formatting was in my writer’s guidelines and I had no one I could contact to ask.

I write for another company that offers a feedback box where you can send and receive messages from the editor so that you can note issues/concerns or ask questions. That feature would work wonders here.

5. peninvictus says:

i see many of you are team managers for internet brands. working with internet brands is such a hassle especially because of the kinds of comments they send you.

They tell you to do one thing and once you do it you get the article back to change it. What is acceptable for the previous article is not acceptable for the article that you are writing now. things like that do kill me.

i was wondering if any of you who manage teams for internet brands have any openings in their team. sometimes is way better to work for the middle man.

if so please post something here. i have experience writing diy bbonline, worl66, 3fatchicks and

6. John says:

Thanks for your kind answer, I really appreciate,you have given me an indication of what could be the reason. I would love to hear more on this so if you come across something interesting perhaps you can share out if you dont mind.Or if someone from the companies happens to pass by your blog you can kindly encourage them to give their word on the same. This will help us understand even more. Thank you so much Felicia.

7. Ronna says:

I write legal articles for IB. However, now the legal site format has changed. The $25 articles are gone. We now have $10 articles which require a LOT more work. I have other legal projects which pay more so despite my initial love affair with this site, I doubt I will be writing here much longer. I am lucky, this month anyway, to have many other lucrative projects that I can write in a lot less time. I also have other legal projects such as appeals which pay a heck of a lot more. Sorry to see the $25 article go. I had a feeling it was too good to last.

8. John says:

Does this site accept writers only from specific countries? I wanted to apply but when I scrolled I dint find my country so I dint actually manage to apply. And by the way let me ask this question to all of us here:

Why are some sites still giving opportunities to people from certain countries alone and yet they expect to get a global audience? For example why should a site not accept writers from other parts of the world and yet expect to have traffic from all over the world? So suppose those of us in the marginalized countries decided to make a list of the websites so that we intentionally snob them…wont their traffic go down? I’m not a hater but I’m driven to this level because I cannot understand why such things should happen in this era. We should set equal platforms and leave the rest to talent.

9. Rai says:

Right, it would have been better if they pay weekly or bi-weekly. Or they could at least pay twice a month. I write for their Do-It-Yourself section and it takes time for their editors to review my articles. I wish they could review those sooner. I like the company, though, because they really pay.
    Rai recently posted…DreamerMy Profile

10. Trex says:

If they could pay weekly or twice weekly it would be better,but as it is now I cannot write for them because I have other projects where the pay is fast (weekly pay).It looks like they have a bureaucratic system that makes things slow.Changing your email takes time and there is no writer support ticket system.

11. Ronna says:

I’ve been writing legal articles for IB for a few months and have to say it’s a pleasure compared to other sites I write for. I agree, however, that there are not enough articles. When the list comes out, you have to grab your articles or they’re gone within the next few hours (if that much). Overall, it’s still a better experience than DS or other sites. I just wish they had more content and that it kept coming regularly.

12. Karl says:

@ Antara – Yes, there has been a shortage of articles lately. In fact from the first week of August there has been no new articles. I do hope things will get back to normal soon. I mailed my CM and she said that articles are scarce and will be so for some time.

In the meantime you can check at other places for work, is one place you can check, but the rates clients pay is pathetic. You might get a few good contracts though.

13. Antara says:

I’ve been writing for IB for almost a year now and they seem to really like the work I do for BBOnline and Vacation Homes. I do get paid regularly but the money comes in at the end of the month. I like the editors and rarely need to revise something – and it’s always minor. Only hassle is that for about 10 days now there have been no travel titles available. Karl, do you know what’s up and when we can except some?

14. Molly says:

I am also a team manager for IB, and I also am having problems with the editors there. I agree with Genesis that editors there seem to be adding more comments when you submit a revised work. I once emailed my CM for a very obvious mistake by one of the editors, but unfortunately I did not receive a reply. I do not know if I’ll continue working with them since many of my writers have already left the team due to constant requests for revisions because of the usual comments that they receive from IB editors – poor grammar and sentence structure.

15. Karl says:

@ Joseph – My team is already running full and in fact have had to put a few writers on standby as there are is not sufficient work. Anyway, catch me on skype as “kwebrite” if something comes up, I will let you know.

@Everyone Else
    Yes, there are a new set of editors and the guidelines have become tighter, hence the rewrites. At times I’ve had to pick up the issue with the CM regarding editors making mistakes…but so far so good.

There are very few travel articles to write as of now as some of the sites are not making much.

16. Joanne says:

I have been writing for IB for a few months. It seems that they have recently either hired new reviewers or have made their reviews stricter because I have had more articles returned to me lately to be rewritten. Nothing major but it is a pain.

I was accepted for the Do It Yourself website but think I would be better suited to some of the other website. I have written sample articles and applied to some of the others but was told there are no openings. I know that they continue to hire people for the other websites so I am hoping that they will change me at some point.

They are slow to review and usually get most of my articles completed by the deadline.

It can be frustrating at times with the rewrites (obviously from different reviewers) but overall, it one of the better article writing businesses that I have found so far.

17. Genesis says:

I was hired for the 3fatchicks site on IB, but the first article I wrote was rejected. Not a problem, I understood the issues the editor had pointed out and redid the article, fixing it all. Then it was reviewed (apparently by another editor) again and sent back with a HUGE list of errors which were completely different from the first set and was told that my grammar was horrible. :S I also write for Constant Content, where they are quite strict about grammar and such and haven’t had issues there. In the end, IB wasn’t worth it, I don’t mind revising if it makes sense, but getting different errors each time isn’t worth it for me.

18. Joanne says:

I have also recently started writing for Internet Brand and have been satisfied with the work so far. I have successfully written 10 articles so far for the doityourself website but as this is not my forte, I have requested to write for one of the travel websites. To date I have not received a response.

19. Joseph Scribe says:

This is for Karl. You have mentioned you are the head of a writing team. Are you hiring? If so where can I get in touch with you?

20. Karl says:

I have bneen writing for IB for about 8 months now. Yes, they article review process is a bit slow, but they normally get all the articles checked and approved in time for payment.

Currently, I have a team working on 3 of the websites and we write around 400 articles monthly. All articles submitted before the 26th of the month get approved in time for payment.

Your content manager should have notified you regarding the cut-off time for article submission – it is normally on the 26th of each month. I guess the reason for the delay is because of the plagiarism check before approval.

21. Trex says:

I recently join Internet Brands as an international writer.Their DIY website articles need a lot of research,for example “How to Install an Air Intake Temperature Sensor” and the $10 per article is not worth the effort.Most of the information is hard to find on the internet unless if you are a professional in the field.Their Recruiting Manager says they pay on the 15th of each month.However,although the staff is friendly,their editing process is very slow.I have 10 articles that have been in the waiting queue for more than 15 days now.It looks like they will only send you payment for a few articles even if you have many approved articles,meaning that you will get your payment for all the month’s articles after 2 or 3 months.I guess I will not be writing many articles there.

22. Michelle says:

Hi Felicia, you have a great blog!

I was recently hired to work for Internet Brands as a writer for – This was in the e-mail I received from their corporate recruiter:

“All employees are paid on the 14th of every month for the previous month’s work – this includes PayPal and direct deposit. If you opted to receive a check, this should take a few additional days to receive.”

He also said that the only people that are able to receive PayPal payments are international writers because they don’t want to risk checks getting lost in transit.

23. Ciele says:

I know I’m a bit late on this comment, but I’m hoping it may be beneficial to searchers reading your blog.

I write for the financial section of IB. It’s $4 for 200 words and $10 for 500 words. At first that seemed painfully low to me, so it took me quite a while to get started and this is what I discovered:

This is a WONDERFUL opportunity for people who are sick and tired of inconsistent editing from DS copyeditors. If DS makes you want to pull your hair out, head to IB. Since the articles don’t require references or resources, they are a lot quicker to write and well worth the slight pay reduction. I was writing the $25 articles at DS and make more on $4 and $10 articles at IB.

Just my two cents.

24. Karl says:

I’ve been writing for IB since Nov 09, they pay by paypal or by check.

I’ve had no trouble with the rate of work, in fact, I now manage a team of writers for DIY, World66 and BBonline.

They still need to sort out a few things in their office, but otherwise I find it interesting to work for them.

25. Ree says:

I just started working for Internet Brands on I started there because I have several friends working in their LA office who kept nudging me to give it a try.

The available topics are random and the results aren’t always that good. As a licensed professional engineer, I’d like to rip apart most every article in their construction sections, but I’m in no position to fix things.

On the whole, I have found the editors reasonable and the payments prompt if only monthly. The main problem has been that internet brands recently went from a few writers to thousands and they are still playing catch up on the infrastructure. We’ll have to see how it turns out.

On another note, thank you so much for posting this blog. I’d never realized just how many opportunities there are out there for online freelance writing. I’m definitely checking a few more sites out.

26. A B says:

I have been writing for IB for sometime now. I didn’t face any problem in the first month. All articles were accepted and the comments from editors were also encouraging. Buts, from the second month onwards, I am just terrible pissed off. They keep on editing the articles and then send me back that now they are short in words. I really do not understand if they did like my quality of writing in the first month, then what happened now. Anyways, I will keep you guys posted about whats the status of month 3.

In between, can someone recommend a few websites where they pay 10 usd for 500 words and accept writers from India as well.

27. Jeri Sullivan says:

I just was accepted to write for the pet website today so while I don’t know how they are going to be to work for, I do know that now IB only pays once per month. According to the payroll schedule, pay periods begin on the first and end on the last day of the calendar month. You then don’t get paid until the 14th. This could mean up to 45 days between the time you submit and article and you get paid. The payment will come in the form of a live check OR direct deposit depending upon which you choose. They also now have a requirement that you write at least 5 articles per week in order to stay active. I will post an update once I have gone through the first pay cycle and let you know how things work out.

28. prerna says:

This seems like an interesting opportunity.. Heading over now to apply.. Thanks felicia!
    .-= prerna´s last blog ..Being a Writer: My Suite 101 Experiment Week 1 Update =-.

29. Alina Bradford says:

BTW, does anyone know if they limit how many jobs you can claim?
    .-= Alina Bradford´s last blog ..More Free Lighting Pictures =-.

30. Alina Bradford says:

Sounds like a company I may check out during slow times, thanks!

31. Bill Swan says:

That’s the part I never understood. They accept non-US based writers, but they were not capable of using PayPal or other online payment methods.

32. Seema says:

Hi Felicia/Bill Swan,

Is this again only for US Writers or even for international writers.

33. Bill Swan says:

This is a huge company. I worked with them for two months before giving up. I first found out about them when a site I was writing for was bought up by them. Internet Brands owns every site they hire writers for. Each site has its own team of management and editors.

Pay: you have the pay right. But the work is mainly for smaller articles and loaded with keywords (around the 250 word mark). My best pay was $56. They pay bi-weekly, and you must invoice them.

Requirements: There is a writers contract, a w-9, and other paper you need to read over before starting. They only pay via mailed check (they were looking into PayPal back in March) so you need to provide a bank account routing number for direct deposit, or a street address.

One of the reasons I left was that the work came in spurts. If they had something, you got work. When I left there was a huge mix-up in management somewhere and they actually called writers to find those who were hired but didn’t get work in 30 days.

They do try to take care of the writers, and do pay. I just thought they were a little unorganized for a big company. And yes, they are on a stock exchange somewhere under IB.