The Demand Studios Score Card

| August 2, 2009

It seems that Demand Studios has instituted a scoring system to “motivate” writers. In my opinion the scorecard does nothing but add to the writer’s stress level.

I took a look at my current score for all time. Since I barely write for them anymore, it was interesting to see how the numbers stacked up. What became clear to me was that I’d rather place my articles on Suite 101 or eHow and get paid residually than write for Demand Studios.

My Demand Studios Score Card

Here are a few stats that I wanted to share:

Site # Article Written Earnings
Demand Studios 225 $3,375 (no room for additional growth unless I write more)
Suite 101 158 In excess of $5,000 and growing
eHow 297 Over $2,000 and growing

My Demand Studios Experience

When writing for Demand Studios, it’s up to an editor to decide whether or not the article is approved. Anyone writing for Demand Studios has no doubt encountered an occasional editorial frustration. It appears to me from the scorecard that rejected articles and abandoned articles hold the same weight. Either way, it’s not looked upon favorably.

I’m guilty of abandoning articles when the editorial requests seem unreasonable. For $15 an article I’m only going to give a limited amount of time to rewrites.

The Suite Experience

When writing for Suite 101, the editors offer constructive feedback on how to improve your article. The editors help writers achieve better search engine ranking and keyword targeting to improve article earnings. Additionally, as a result of writing for Suite 101, I’ve been offered several writing positions (can’t say the same thing for Demand Studios).

Having Fun at eHow

eHow is an interesting bag of goods. If you’re writing a “How to” on something that you’re personally familiar with, you can write the article in record time. It’s quick, easy and with proper keyword targeting it’s financially rewarding.Score Board

In the past two months I’ve only written one article for eHow. Even with writing only 1 article in 60 days I still earned over $550. (can’t say that about Demand Studios).

My Own Scorecard

Apparently the Demand Studio score card is their way of seeing which writers are performing well and which ones aren’t. I too can have my own scorecard to determine which sites are worth writing for and which ones aren’t.

Based on future residual earnings Demand Studios isn’t at the top of my list. However, when it comes to editorial frustrations, I’d say that Demand Studios is the clear winner.

Tags: , , ,

Category: Demand Studios, eHow, Legitimate, Opportunities, Suite 101

1. Barb D says:

I thought Demand Media owned ehow.com. So how can you apply to write for ehow? I only see a link to demand on their website.

2. Christina Crowe says:

Wow, I must say – This is an awesome blog! I’m glad I came across it. 🙂

I’ve heard about Suite 101, but I’m hesitant to try it. Right now I write regularly for eHow and Demand Studios (and occasionally Constant Content, Xomba, and Associated Content). However, I’m not even receiving close to $500 a month. I have about 113 articles up and I’m making $40-$50 a month right now. Hopefully this amount increases over time.

I was wondering, is Suite 101 like Demand Studios where you have to submit a resume and they pay you a set fee per article? Or do you get residual income?

Christina

3. Sarah says:

Hi, Felicia,
    Love your blog. I’ve been working for DS for a week as a copyeditor (read your blog before I started). I do try to give kind constructive feedback when I request a rewrite, but then, I’ve been a professional editor for some time now, and have a graduate certificate in editing, so I know how it’s to be done! I rather dislike the rating system myself. I feel awful giving a low score, but when the rewrite is great, I make a note to that effect. (The score has to be based on the original, and seems kind of arbitrary. For example, if you request a rewrite, the score has to be a 1 or 2, even if the article was grammatically fine and the rewrite request is simply asking for a citation.) And you still have to give a low score based on the original, even when the rewrite is perfect. Oh well. I suspect some editors aren’t so careful, either passing stuff that shouldn’t be passed, or being unkind in rewrite requests. I had one author reply in a very defensive tone to my constructive criticism. Bad attitude likely due to bad experiences with other editors, or with never being critiqued before because lazy editors approved things they shouldn’t have. It’s frustrating for good editors to have to deal with the attitudes caused by bad editors, too!
    Side note: DS is rolling out a revenue sharing plan for writers. Editors don’t qualify yet, don’t know if we ever will.

Sarah, thanks for sharing this info with us.

Just like writers, there are good and bad copyeditors. I guess we have to make the best of the situation if we want to continue to earn money.

4. Wendy says:

Hey Mandy!

It may be helpful to know that I was rejected the first time I applied at Suite 101. I think you are right about DS. They only give you one chance, and it is kind of arbitrary whether you get in or not. Suite 101 is much more humane. I got rejected with a list of possible reasons (an a helpful tidbit that they only accept 20%—which, whether true or not, did help my bruised ego) I looked at the possible reasons, waited a few days, and **very carefully** resubmitted and was accepted.

If it helps, I think all “good writers” understand about getting over the rejection thing. Just do whatever it takes to mend (or get rid of) the ego, and go on.

Take Care and good luck.

Wendy
    .-= Wendy´s last blog ..Another day, another… =-.

5. Mandy Harris says:

Well, Felicia, for some reason Demand Studios has rejected me again! I guess I will dust off my bruised ego, list all the people who have told me I am a good writer, then list them about four more times, eat a chocolate bar and persevere onward.

I have been writing for eHow and am making a surprising (albeit small) amount there. I will continue writing for them and Textbroker, who has, by the way, consistently rated my writing as a four (bruised ego a little healed).

I think I went wrong with Demand Studios the first time applying by including an eHow article, which by my own admission, was totally off base for what they want for the site. I was quite ignorant about eHow’s potential and did not take that first article as seriously as I should have. I suspect that you really only get one chance to apply with Demand.

My next step in September is to apply to Suite. You’ve done a great job for them. Do you have any tips in the application process?

Your website is awesome and I visit nearly every day. The info is always relevant and it really gives me the hopeful boost I need to stick with online writing. Thank you!

Hi Mandy,

Sorry to hear about your experience with Demand Studios. I truly don’t understand how they hire writers, but you seem to have the right attitude.

As far as Suite goes, it was quite some time ago when I applied and I believe they may have changed their approval processes a bit.

Just make sure to give them one of your best pieces as your writing sample. The trick to online writing is to write focused and tightly knit articles so make sure your sample shows that.

Let us know how it goes.

P.S. – If any of the more recent Suite 101 hires have any advice, please share it with Mandy. Thanx.

6. Pam says:

Hey Felicia,

I just had to chime in. Just getting my feet wet with DS and I’m so glad I’ve found this blog as well. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. This info has been invaluable to me as I beef up my freelance writing. I’m kind of feeling like Wendy (sans the fresh kill – lol) in that I’m looking to do a sort of Suite 101/DS/Constant cocktail — for now. Like many of us, my priority right now has to be on getting some instant income to stir about, but now I know to take Suite seriously. I was accepted by them last week and need to jump on it with my first article. Quick question for you. I was poking around WriterGig’s blog and saw info she recommended re: NicheBlogger. Are you familiar with what she’s offering? Any thoughts? I don’t even know if I’m ready to tackle it yet, my time is so limited as it is. Just thought I’d ask your opinion if you happen to be familiar.

Pam, I’ve got to say, I’m not familiar with Niche Blogger.

I tend to stay away from programs such as Niche Blogger, Site Builder and others that help folks create sites/blogs. When I first started on the web, my goal was to earn money with as little financial investment as possible. I knew I had to pay for the domain name and the web hosting site, but the rest I did myself.

My readers can probably answer your question about such programs better than I can.

7. Wendy says:

Hey Felicia!

Okay, I feel like a cat bringing my fresh kill to your doorstep (is this a weird metaphor or what???) but just this second, my rejected DS article got published on Suite101 and I only have you to thank : )

I honestly wouldn’t have persevered through the hoops etc (for no $$ upfront) were it not for your solid advice. THANKS for this blog : )

(again)

Wendy

8. Heidi says:

Wendy,

Excellent point about the psychological tricks that the scorecard can play on writers. I’ve looked at mine a few times, but I think I’m just not gonna click on it from now on. My scores are high, but I’m a perfectionist, and it’s not worth my worry. 🙂

I’ve also made the same decision about the message boards and it’s been a great choice.

9. Wendy says:

Hey Lynne

I just checked out the forum at DS and realized that the score card has been asked for by the writers…that before, there was a score card only the writers didn’t get to see it.

My biggest problem with the score card is that a few of the CEs are incompetent, and we are being “graded” by them.

I also feel like, for $15, they shouldn’t **expect** perfect work, but they are doing a lot of kind of sneaky psychological things to wring perfection out of us. It just kind of bugs me.

Of course, I really really like how they have figured out how much writers enjoy getting paid regularly : ). And 95% of my experience there has been excellent.

I think, though, that it is smart to have eggs in many baskets. I like the combo of Constant Content, Suite101 and DS.

And I LOVE Felicia’s attitude.

Wendy

Thanks, Wendy, for investigating more about the scorecard. I guess it makes sense.

As you mentioned in your comment, my biggest issue with the scorecard is that it really doesn’t take into consideration some of the off the wall rewrite requests.

Although, I’ve got to give it to DS, they do pay regularly and they do help many freelance writers make ends meet. Guess we have to take the good with the bad.

Wendy, I have the feeling you’re going to do extremely well in your freelance writing career.

10. Rachel says:

I just started writing for Demand Studios, and being new to the online freelance world, I have been pleased with the amount I can earn. However, I love that you have been doing this for a while and can offer some real feedback comparing it to the residual sites. I have only posted one article on Suite 101 due to discouragement, so this is a real motivator to get going on that and not view DS as the only option.
    .-= Rachel´s last blog ..The Low-down on Writing for eHow =-.

11. Lynne says:

I actually don’t mind the score card thing. It’s not seen by anyone else so it doesn’t really bother me. Obviously some people are having problems with DS but the reason I still write there is it’s great for a quick regular income every now and then. I also write for residuals but while that takes time to get going, I also like that I can spend say just two days working solidly for DS and get $200/$300 if there is something extra I want to buy that week. I’ve found their payment system pretty reliable.

However I don’t recommend their income share option – I’ve done a couple of those and they produce nowhere near as much revenue compared to eHow and Infobarrel. So I only do the flat fee options when I want an immediate income bump.

12. SFaloon says:

I really appreciate this information. I need to check out Suite 101.
    I’m amazed at the income compared to DS. I’ve done all right there but have had nothing to compare it to. I also write for Associated Content. Thanks Felicia.

13. Wendy Kelly says:

Hey Felicia! As usual, I love your take on things. I feel great seeing your scorecard. I really have to get on my edit for Suite101. The editor is so nice there that I almost don’t trust it : ) I’m very glad for this information.

I don’t mind DS most of the time, and I happen to need an income right now, but this is a great reminder about how I should be slicing up my time: Suite101 should definitely take up more of my time.

Thanks again…
    .-= Wendy Kelly´s last blog ..Jul 28, How To Give A Massage =-.

14. Deanna says:

Great post. I just recently saw my score card at Demand Studios and although I was rated 4 out of 5 I still felt insulted at having been rated at all. If they think your articles aren’t always a 5, then why do they accept the work? And since you don’t get paid more for being a higher rated writer (as at Textbroker) then who cares what your rating is? I am re-thinking writing for DS too as I am slowly growing my list of article on eHow instead.

I was also amazed at how much you’ve made so far at Suite101. I only have 12 articles there, which do fairly well, but it’s hard to see it will ever amount to very much. Guess I’ll have to work harder at placing more articles there in the next few months.

I am enjoying you blog very much. Keep up all the wonderful information. I recommend your blog to my readers on my own writing blog.
    .-= Deanna´s last blog ..Article on Plagiarism Checkers for Your Articles =-.

Deanna, don’t get discouraged when it comes to Suite 101. Stick with it for the long run and you’ll be pleased at the results.

My 158 articles were written over a period of two and a half years. Many writers finish 158 articles in one year or less. Find your pace, stick with it and watch the money grow.

Oh, and thanks for recommending my blog to your readers. 🙂

15. Lissie says:

Classic – I like your attitude – I am not familiar with any of those 3 sites because they restrict themselves to US-based writers, but I do know I very much look at any site which is getting my content on is what is my ROI on time an what is the likelihood that the site will still be around in a few years and still sending me checks!
    .-= Lissie´s last blog ..How To Make Over $2000 Online =-.

Hey Lissie, you should check out Suite 101. They accept international writers. You’ll do extremely well with them. They’ve been around for over 10 years and it doesn’t look like they’re going anywhere soon.