HubPages Really Works!

| July 25, 2009 | 9 Comments

Yesterday I checked my Google AdSense account to find that I earned .01 from my HubPages account! To me, seeing that penny in earnings was like winning the lottery. That penny made my day!

Hold on a minute. Don’t think I’ve lost my mind. You have to understand why .01 is so very important. I found out quite some time ago that if I can earn .01 I can earn $1,000 and more. It all starts with the first penny. Have you met any self-made millionaires that skipped earning the first penny?

All about the Tweakage

Once a site has proven to me that there is the capability to earn money such as HubPages has proven with my penny, the rest is all about the tweakage. How much I earn and how fast I earn money all depends on learning the ropes and tweaking the articles.

Personally, I’m not a huge social networking fan. There’s nothing wrong with Digging, Redditing, Twittering and all the rest, I just don’t spend a lot of time doing it. On occasion I will Digg, Tweet and the like, but more often than not I tweak.Felix the Cat and His Bag of Tricks

I find that once quality content is grabbed a hold of by other sites and backlinked to, it takes on a life of its own. I’m patient and willing to wait for my articles to make their impact on the internet.

Back to HubPages

Considering that it’s been 5 days since I placed my first hub on the site, I’m very excited about my earnings. As far as I see it, the sky is the limit. I find HubPages to be a welcome addition to my freelance writing bag of tricks.

Tags: , , ,

Category: HubPages, Legitimate, Opportunities

1. Yvette says:

I just celebrated 2 years on Hubpages. I was jumping for joy with my first earnings too. You can’t imagination how you will feel when your first Google Adsense check comes. Stick with it, I have been receiving check regular now and can’t imagination why I didn’t start sooner.

2. Tashana says:

I appreciate you posting this article. I have been trying for some time to decide where to write. It is so challenging to say, I am going to write everywhere, because then you have committed yourself to posting to so many different websites and that can be exhausting and intensely laborious. If I had to declare my greatest vice it would be my extreme lack of focus but your article encourages me to do just that. So, I am going to take a stab at it HubPages and see where it takes me. I will still post to some of the other popular sites, but it will be extremely limited.

Thanks again
    .-= Tashana´s last blog ..Every good story is stuffed with victims…. =-.

3. Ryan Hupfer says:

I’m so happy that you’re finding success with HubPages, Felicia! Keep up the good work and don’t ever hesitate to ask me for help if you need it.

Ryan Hupfer
    HubPages Communicator of Awesomeness!
    .-= Ryan Hupfer´s last blog ..HubPages Tips: How To Use Keyword Research To Turn A Good Hub Title Into A Great One =-.

4. Deanna says:

Hi,
    The first six months I was on HubPages I earned all of .52 cents. I quickly lost interest but now, about a year later, I am slowly building up a relationship with them again. It is a great community site and it seems you do have to spend a few minutes each day making comments and adding friends in order to be successful there. Good luck with your HubPages account!

5. Felicia says:

Alyssa, you bring up a good point.

My decision as to where to place an article is usually based upon the direction of the wind. At this point the wind is blowing in such a way where I’m putting more effort into HubPages because it’s my new toy. I’d like to build a base of articles there to get a true feeling for the earning potential.

If it’s a subject that I’m passionate about, I’ll write about the same topic on several of my freelance writing sites. The creative challenge is to be original in each piece and adhere to the site’s guidelines.

I’ve been with Suite for quite some and I find that an average of an article a week works out pretty well for me. As an FW I have to keep up with the 14 per 3 month requirement (oops, that reminds me, I think I’m falling a bit behind).

When my subject matter or writing style doesn’t fit the guidelines of the freelance writing sites I use, then I place the articles on one of my blogs or websites.

There’s also the popularity vs. financially rewarding aspect of the article. Articles on saving money and cooking are usually popular but don’t earn as much as finance or technology articles. So, since Bukisa pays based on page views, I would tend to put popular articles there and financially rewarding articles on one of the sites that pays based on ad revenue.

If I’m in a financial pinch and need to earn a couple of quick bucks, then I go to one of the upfront paying sites. Fortunately, I don’t use these sites too often.

The great thing about online writing is that there are always options.

6. Alyssa says:

We have some solid, credible sites that are being added to the freelancing arsenal, but I wonder how does one decide where to place content? For example, what would be the criteria for choosing to place content on Suite 101 over HubPages, contant-content, Bukisa, Demand Studio, etc.?

For some sites, the decision is easy. If you have a how-to article and you don’t mind organizing your ideas in a way that satisifies eHow’s guidelines, then that is the best place for your article.

Is it as simple as deciding whether you’re aiming for residual income rather than upfront payment? Or, is it more of a question of whether it’s a unique idea that will garner many reads, hence perfect for generating residual income?

7. prerna says:

Thanks Felicia..
    Would check out Lissie’s blog and am sure you’d do great at Hubpages just as you’re doing at Suite 101.. Truly inspiring.. All the best!
    .-= prerna´s last blog ..Being a Writer : My Suite 101 Experiment =-.

8. prerna says:

I’ve been on Hubpages for a couple of months and have 8 hubs up.. and while I don’t have an Adsense account, being in India and all that, I do have an Amazon account.. A little while ago, I was thinking of quitting writing for hubpages, since wasn’t making anything.. zip..nada.. However, I’ve read so much of good stuff about it, including this post that have thought of giving it another shot and seeing if I can make some money only with Amazon..
    What would be your advice??
    Thanks!!
    .-= prerna´s last blog ..Being a Woman: Birthday Celebrations =-.

I didn’t realize the problems that folks in India were having with Google AdSense until I read your post and did a little research. I’m hoping that in time they will fix the Blue Dart check problem.

Normally, I would recommend signing up for Google AdSense to monetize your HubPages, but it might be rather frustrating to see that you’re earning money and not receiving the checks. Although I believe with so many people complaining about the problem they will rectify the situation at some point in time and when they do, I’d rather be one of those folks waiting to receive a check than one who didn’t sign up because of a temporary (albeit a rather long standing temporary) problem.

As far as my recommendations for HubPages, I’m too new to be able to give sound advice. Although I signed up 5 months ago, I only started writing for them 5 or 6 days ago.

Check out Lissie’s blog. She’s been actively working with HubPages for 2 and a half years. I’m sure she has great advice that could help you.