My 200th Post

| April 17, 2009 | 8 Comments

This is my 200th blog post and it saddens me that the topic couldn’t be something more inspiring or thought provoking.  Instead it has to be about spam and CAPTCHA.

Some time ago I wrote a post  about CAPTCHA boxes and how annoying I found them to be.  Unfortunately, because No Job for Mom has been discovered by a few persistent spammers, it’s become necessary for me to implement a CAPTCHA box.

It’s been my experience that CAPTCHA, while it doesn’t prevent all spam; it does much to reduce the number of spam comments.  On one of my other blogs I found that it reduced the spam from 100 spam comments a day to about one or two.

Apologize in Advance

It’s unfortunate that everyone has to pay the price for a few, er, how do I say this in a politically correct fashion…It’s unfortunate that everyone has to pay the price for a few obnoxious idiots who have nothing better to do than spam blogs (that wasn’t so politically correct, was it).

In search of…

The CAPTCHA box I’m using is the Simple CAPTCHA WordPress plugin.  If I find another free WordPress plugin that’s easier to read, I’ll install it.  In the meanwhile, please bear with me and the unnecessary inconvenience of having to read and verify the little numbers in the box before adding a comment.

Man, what a topic for post # 200.

Tags: , , ,

Category: Blog, Maintenance, Plugins, WordPress

1. Beelissa says:

Hi Felicia, I just found your blog a few days ago and I’ve learned a lot here already. Congrats on your 200th post. I don’t find your Captcha thing too bad, you can read it at least. It’s all numbers. I find the wiggly ones where you can’t tell because it could be a number or a letter (is it an S or a 5? etc.) the worst. Give me some clue, some context. So those which spell words, or those limited to only numbers, are better.
    .-= Beelissa´s last blog ..It’s not really a lollipop =-.

Welcome Beelissa.

I’m glad that my readers and I have been able to help you.

It’s a shame that we have to use Captcha, but I guess it comes along with the online writing territory.

2. Congrats on post #200! That’s awesome.

3. First, congrats on #200!

Next, no need to apologize about using captcha codes that help to cut down on spam. It’s kind of like the “Patriot Act” of the Web — most of us are willing to “suffer” such an inconvenience in order to prevent the “evil” that certain others will do.

Keep up the good work!

4. Julie M says:

Great job on your 200th post!!

5. Felicia says:

Thanks for the congrats,Sher.

Hey Heather. Welcome to NJFM.

As far as the captcha reducing spam, it helps because some spammers use some type of automated software that submits spam comments to blogs. The software doesn’t have the ability to read the captcha.

It doesn’t stop all spam, but deleting 2 is a lot nicer than deleting 100.

6. Sher says:

Congrats on your 200th post!!!!

About the captcha…sorry you have been spammed so much. I love your non-politically correct statement…that’s the best!!! The few who do such things are indeed idiots!!!! Too bad they don’t turn that energy to more positive persuits like helping others!!!!!!!

Have a great day,
    Sher :0)

7. Heather says:

Okay, maybe I’m missing something, but even spammers are capable of reading security codes, so how do they work to deter them? Sure it might slow them down by a few seconds as they have to type in the security code, but that seems like that is about the only thing that it would accomplish.

It was my understand that security codes were used to curb the usage of bots as they prove that the user is an actual person.