Demand Studios Revenue Share Program vs eHow WCP

| March 19, 2009 | 31 Comments

I read somewhere on a forum (for the life of me I don’t remember which one), about Demand Studio’s revenue share program.  In other words, in addition to writing articles for up front pay, they offer a residual earning program.

When they first introduced the option, I thought that it was the exact same payment structure as the one offered by eHow.  So, I asked myself, why write through Demand Studios when I could write the article on eHow directly.  After all, I don’t have to wait for an editor to review and “approve” my article.

Further Investigation

As I looked further into the Terms of Service I noticed that there was a difference between writing for the Demand Studio revenue share program and eHow.  The following clause in Demand Studio’s Supplemental Terms of Use Revenue Share Program caught my eye:

“THE TERM FOR WHICH EACH ELIGIBLE CONTRIBUTION CAN ACCRUE REVENUE SHARE IS FIVE (5) YEARS (the “Term”), COMMENCING ON THE DATE EACH CONTRIBUTION IS FIRST ACCEPTED BY DEMAND STUDIOS, UNLESS TERMINATED EARLIER PURSUANT TO SECTION 6 OF THESE SUPPLEMENTAL TERMS.”

The above clause is not currently in eHow’s Supplemental Terms of Use Writer Compensation Program (WCP). What this says to me is that you can earn revenues through the Demand Studio’s revenue share program for a term of 5 years.  After that, you’re out of luck.

I guess my question is still the same…why would I want to participate in Demand Studios’ revenue share program instead of writing for eHow directly?

Tags: , , , ,

Category: Demand Studios, Earning Money, eHow, Legitimate, Opportunities, Residual Income

1. lula says:

eHow just shut down the WCP for new sign ups, everybody who is currently enrolled in the WCP is being migrated over to the DS revenue share system. It was nice while it lasted….There was a good reason why I wrote directly for eHow rather than through DS.

2. The Deal says:

Now that writing through ehow is no longer an option, i’m wondering how the WCP compares to the DS revenue model. What have your experiences been as far as pay per article. ehow has stated that both the WCP (ehow) and the DS rev share models are IDENTICAL. What has been your experience?

The Deal, I don’t think the DS and eHow revenue shares are identical. On the forum some eHow staff members state that the algorithm is similar, but not identical.

I’ve never written revenue share articles with Demand Studios. I only wrote for up front pay. I’d be interested in hearing from folks who wrote revenue share articles for DS.

3. mrsh says:

ehow is by far better. DS took nearly 250 of my articles and locked me out of them under a different name. I have since returned to ehow and make decent $ and have great views. No more DS, especially since they lowered their rates.

4. CarolinaGirl says:

Though I see most of the comments were posted last year I find this thread really helpful. I have just started writing in my spare time for DS. I have not had any rewrites yet or rejections but I am putting a lot of time into my articles to find that I have only an “average” rating by the copy editors. It is a little discouraging. I don’t like the fact that the writer must use pictures DS provides for articles while the database of pictures is limited in many instances to photos that are not ideal for the topic on hand. How does that work with eHow? Can you upload your own pictures? Do you have a selection of titles to choose from? or any editing process?

CarolinaGirl, eHow is much different.

No editing process, you create your own titles and upload your own pictures (as long as they are not copyright protected).

5. Jim says:

Demand Studios and eHow are both owned by Demand Media. They must be experimenting with which model yields the optimal content/profits for all stakeholders.

6. Cassie says:

It WAS ehow that gave me all the problems, not Demand. But it’s a whole new day so I’ll just keep trying! 🙂

7. Cassie says:

Well, all the help has been great but I’m totally frustrated with the ehow site. I’ve filled out all the sections three times and then at the end get a message that the site is down and to try again later. Happened three times in 75 minutes. And one time was told my article title was already taken after it came up as available at the onset of the submission. Are these problems normal for ehow?

There are times when the sites are glitchy and a bit frustrating. When I run into problems with eHow, I usually work on something else and come back later. Although, I don’t think I’ve ever run into what you’re undergoing with Demand Studios.

8. Cassie says:

I can’t believe how helpful this is, especially you, Felicia. I’ve never been in a forum this good at providing pertinent and valuable information. I hope you can help me a little more. I’m doing a bunch of food/cooking related articles and am wondering how I find pictures/images for them. I have never used pictures with any of my writing so I am at a loss! Thanks again.

9. Cassie says:

Thanks for the advice. Just one more question: Is it better to submit my topics to DS for $5 upon acceptance or just go straight to ehow? I’m confused on which compensation is better for the long/short term. And for DS, do I have to submit the entire article or just the topics? Thanks.

It’s hard to say. Some topics do well earning residual income and some don’t. I guess it depends on the topic.

I prefer to place my articles on eHow rather than DS, but that’s my personal preference. Some of my eHow articles do very well and some don’t. Those that do well earn far more than DS would pay me for it. Those that don’t do well barely earn anything. I’m hoping that over the life of the article it will be worth it.

It’s been a while since I’ve written for DS, but I believe you must first submit the article topic for approval and then once approved you can write it. If I’m wrong, I think one of my readers will give you the real scoop.

10. Cassie says:

This discussion is just what I was hoping to find. I’m really new to this and wonder: can I submit the same article to Demand, ehow, Maholo, etc. all at the same time or do I have to wait for rejection? Does anyone have any opinion on whether it’s best to submit my own topics or use the sites’ suggested topics? Thanks!

Hey Cassie,

Wait for a DS rejection before placing the article elsewhere. If Demand Studios accepts the article, they own it.

Additionally, be careful in placing the same article on several sites. Make sure to read the terms of use before doing so. You don’t want to be accused of plagiarism or have your article removed or account suspended because of it. Each site responds to previously published pieces differently.

11. janman says:

I’ve been researching DS and I’m trying to get a fix on what type of organization they are. As a rule, I don’t like to write for anyone who pays peanuts for articles, esp. because it keeps the industry rates down and consequently every writer suffers. However, I’m still curious. Do you write for DS or directly for eHow? As you said, it doesn’t seem to make sense to write for DS. I don’t understand why anyone would if they can get paid directly by eHow without the 5-year cap.

I used to write for Demand Studios, but I haven’t in quite a few months. I also write a one or two eHow articles a month. I don’t write for them as much as I used to.

Check out a few of my blog posts (do a search for Demand Studios and another for eHow) where I share, in detail, my writing experiences with them.

12. Sjane says:

Thanks for your blog…I too write for Demand Studios and have found that the editors are somewhat snippy and condescending at times, especially if you question some of their decisions. I wrote one article with the revenue share program and I think it has made $13 over 4 months, which is not terribly impressive and I probably won’t write another one. I would like to write for ehow directly, but since I write for DS, they created a profile for me on ehow under my name, and I don’t have the password/login information. I was wondering if you have any suggestions…I could obviously open up a new account, but then I would have to use a different name, and one of the reasons I am freelancing is to build up a body of published work. Thanks in advance!

13. Anonymus says:

That is the only problem I had with DS. Wishy washy copy editors. I will spend an hour writing a 15 dollar paper doing all the research and then get it sent back to me saying some nit picking thing about it. So then I usually have to just delete it and post it somewhere else so it doesn’t go to waste. Then I will do what that copy editor told me I should be doing on the next article only to have it sent back to me saying the total opposite of what the other copy editor has said! The CE’s are not on the same page and if DS ever gets major problems it will be those CE’s who don’t know what they are doings fault.

I agree with you anonymous (what a catchy name).

That’s why I never revise or edit my articles. When the editors make comments for changes, unless they are a 1 or 2 second fix, I delete it and put it elsewhere.

I’ve found that some of the editors are not familiar with the subject matter they are reviewing and make silly edit requests. Placing the article elsewhere is the least stressful option when writing for Demand Studios.

14. Felicia says:

It’s hard to say with Demand Studios. Sometimes things go along great and then you get an editor that has issue with something that an earlier editor had no problem with. It’s a crap shoot sometimes.

Don’t be nervous. Give it your best shot and let the chips fall where they may.

Good Luck!

15. carol stanley says:

this is a great site. I am ready to submit my first article to demand studios..With all the editorial caveats I am a little nervous…Are they really that particular??? I am hoping to have acceptance so I can write up a storm.

carol stanleys last blog post..Reinventing the Wheel

16. Felicia says:

Hello Remi,

Thanks for taking the time to comment here. I have yet to try the revenue share program because it just didn’t make sense to me. One of my top earning articles on eHow has earned over $165 in 3 months. If it continues at that rate, it will be a real winner over time.

If I had written the same article using the Demand Studios revenue share program, I would have to say goodbye to that revenue after 5 years.

Just for grins, I may try writing one or two of the revenue share articles to see how it goes. I’ve got to say at the onset, however, that the 5 year earnings limitation is a big turn off.

17. Lisa Russell says:

oops- leave it to me to skim and miss the important part- yeah that makes no sense at all, why on earth would you choose their wishy washy editing and 5 yrs of rev share versus forever revenue share and instant publishing. Hmmm, something’s amiss.

Lisa Russells last blog post..I’m having a party and you get the presents #ubp09

18. Lisa Russell says:

The reason would be if you need higher income NOW. Last summer I wrote for DS and a few other sites and was bringing in close to 3k a month, with NO long term income to show for it. It was nice, but now I’m focusing on the future.

19. Remi says:

Hey! I’m the Community Manager over at Demand Studios. Based on historical data, the titles we provide outperform regular eHow titles. Our writers are high-quality creators that are approved by our editorial team. We do a lot of research to determine what titles will perform the best, and the ones we give to Demand Studios writers are typically our most profitable ones. The bottom line is that we want you to earn money with Demand Studios Revenue Share Program and we are confident that you will end up earning more per article than with a regular eHow title.

20. Julie says:

I can’t see any reason to write for DS instead of eHow.

Julies last blog post..eHow as a Test Market

21. jen brister says:

The articles that you write for revenue share are not for up front payment, too. You only get the revenue share! I would stick to ehow!