I Took the Today.com Plunge

| December 11, 2008 | 42 Comments

Here I go again, I’m loading my plate up again. I recently joined the Today.com blogging community. Why did I do it? Hmmm, money, I guess?

Here’s the scoop

Just like most of you, I’m always looking for new ways to make residual income. The upfront payment (you know trading time for dollars) is grand, but it takes constant work.

It’s sort of like sitting in a ship with 1 gallon of water seeping into the bottom of the boat every 3 hours. In order to stay afloat, I’ve got to bail out the gallon of water every three hours. I can probably take a rest of a day or so, but when I get back on it, I’ll have to work harder in order to stay afloat.

Well, the same thing with upfront payment. If I work like the dickens every day and write, write, write, write and write, I’ll get paid for my writing. Taking a much needed and deserved break from writing will only mean that when I get back to it, I’ll have to continue to write to keep my financial boat afloat.

Residual earnings are different. A strong base of residual articles is like a sealant for the hole in the ship. The more you write the stronger the seal. If you’ve been on this blog for more than 15 minutes, you’ve probably heard me ramble on about the benefits of residual income.

Back to My Main Point

Sorry for wondering off. The reason I’m writing for Today.com is because they pay a rather meager $1 per post per day (no more than $1 per day), but the post requirement is only 100 words. Man, I write more than that in my sleep. If I find I’m getting a bit long-winded, I can break the post into Part I and Part II and post them over a span of two days. Why offer $2 worth of work for $1?Online Writing

On top of the $1 per day, I earn residual income based on page views (something like Bukisa). I chose a topic that I can write in my sleep (onlinewriting.today.com) so I won’t have to stress about what to write.

It takes me about 15 minutes to write, format and upload the post. It takes a little longer because I like to add pictures. So, for about 15 or 20 minutes of work, I earn a buck and residuals. I don’t think it’s too bad.

Today’s Referral Program

Today.com also has a referral program. You get paid for referring folks to sign up for an account. Currently they’re paying $5 for every qualified referred blogger. Among a host of other requirements, a qualified blogger must sign up and upload at least 10 posts within a 3-month period of time.

My Take on It

The way I look at it, I’ve created several other blogs. At least I know that with the blog I have on Today.com I’m guaranteed to earn money. Seems like a win-win situation to me.  If you haven’t tried it yet, why not give it a try?  If you are currently writing for Today, please share your experience.

Tags: , , ,

Category: Bukisa, Legitimate, Opportunities, Today.com

1. Synthia says:

Felicia, I just signed up for Today.com using you as a referral.

Hope they accept me — I used an Associated Content article for a writing sample… hope its OK to submit something already published. The application didn’t say I couldn’t.

(I did tell them it was already on AC).

Synthia, I don’t know if you saw any of my subsequent posts on Today.com, but I stopped writing for them because they made major changes in their payment structure. Check out a few of these posts.

2. gaurang says:

Great website!
    I was wondering if there are any sites out there that a non-us writer could write for?
    So far I haven’t really found anything.

3. Felicia says:

Fleur, I’m not sure where you’re located, but try looking in the NJFM database. Hopefully there’s something there that will work for you.

4. Fleur says:

I like reading your posts. I did try to sign-up for this one but unfortunately, registration is not available at our location.

I might as well try the other sites you’ve mentioned in your other posts. 🙂
    .-= Fleur´s last blog ..10 Beautiful Christmas Wallpapers for the Holidays =-.

5. Jen Coe says:

Wow! I’m going to have to check this site out! Thanks again!! Jen 🙂
    .-= Jen Coe´s last blog ..How to Spot Lyme Disease Symptoms in Pets (Dogs) | eHow.com =-.

Hi Jen,

Before you sign up with Today.com, you should read the post on how I was ‘fired‘ from Today.

They made quite a few changes since I originally signed up with them. There are quite a few Today bloggers that have quit or were ‘fired’ also. Today is no longer high on my recommendation list.

6. Felicia says:

Seema, you should start your own blog. It’s almost guaranteed that you’ll earn more than what Today.com pays.

Check out my Never Ending Blog Post. There I list sites where writers (both US and international writers) can earn money.

As I get time and come across more sites,I’ll add them to the database.

7. Seema Adnani says:

Even I thought of starting my own blog after reading this post.
    Are there any other blog communities, who pay per post (to non U.S. people).

I hope there is one 🙂

8. Felicia says:

Hi Emily,

You’re right. They have made changes to their payment structure and are no longer paying $1 per post and pay per impression. I’m not quite sure if popular blogs still receive the $1 per post (my Today blog is not popular). As a result, I barely post there anymore.

There are other online writing ventures that are more lucrative than Today, but I wish you luck if you decide to continue with them. Keep us posted as to your progress.

9. Emily says:

I recently signed up with today.com after reading this blog and looking for alternative methods of earning money online..
    unfortunately they do not seem to pay $1 per post anymore, only per impression, although I did submit to be considered for the $1 per post blog, I don’t know when/if that will happen. I find today.com to be very hard to navigate and the options to be very limited, but thats not stopping my attempt! I’ve started blogging my results with trying to earn money online over at today.com. I hope it works…

Emilys last blog post..Notsotricky.com is actually.. tricky…

10. Felicia says:

Thanks for the info, Irene.

I guess I’ve been operating in a tunnel. I only sign in basically once a week to write three quick posts and then Today.com goes on my back burner.

Occasionally I get comments to my blog posts and I have to sign in to approve them, but I don’t spend much time there at all. They are not a large part of my online income so I don’t put much effort there.

I’ll do some poking around to see what changes they’re making and decide whether or not its worth sticking with them. But as it stands now, the minimal effort I put in has been worth the $1 per post and the residuals.

11. Irene says:

If you can edit the info in your blog post, you might want to do that. They are no longer paying $1/post for new bloggers; apparently I got in on the tail end of that myself, and now feel badly about the people who responded to ads I placed to sign up on my link. A lot of people at today.com are getting fussy—they are forcing everyone into the same theme, and the theme doesn’t necessarily work, nor does the existing info in the blog always transfer properly. If you are anything but a happy shiny person in the forums, you are likely to get banned for seven days. Several long standing bloggers are leaving them and opening blogs elsewhere, or at least severely curtailing their work for today.com. Check their Alexa info…
    I’m not saying don’t sign up with them, I’m just saying don’t expect much—not much money, and not much respect. Also, read their terms, FAQ and wiki VERY CAREFULLY and very frequently. Frankly, if I ran across the link to sign up now, I wouldn’t bother. Sorry to be a downer….

12. Kristi says:

Hey Felicia. I totally agree with you and if I get the impression only email I’m bolting too. It just wouldn’t work for me at that point. : ) Kristi

13. Felicia says:

Thanks Melissa for sharing that info.

With that information in mind, I now see Shannon’s frustration with Today.com.

If they suspend paying the $1 per post, there’s no decision to be made in my book. Today would immediately be dropped from my freelance writing arsenal. The residuals are not enough to warrant posting on a regular basis. However, until I hear otherwise from them, I’ll continue to post.

14. Shannon says:

Let’s see if my math skills are up to this: 8 posts with 40 page views have earned me a whopping total of $0.08 on Today. I’m hoping that they start reviewing my posts and crediting my account soon, because I’m going to bolt if they don’t. I’ll just chalk it up to experience … live and learn!

I’m happy that you’re getting a buck per post, though.

15. Melissa says:

To those worried about their posts getting reviewed, sometimes it took awhile but it always caught up and I always got paid! 🙂

16. Melissa says:

I started blogging for today.com back in June, recieved my second blog in July and loved writing for them. I received what I thought were good PVs, especially since I have several other non-today blogs to compare to. A few days ago I did receive an email stating that I would still receive residuals but that I no longer would receive a dollar a post on either blog. Today has always stated that the blogs are reviewed each month and the decision to keep paying a dollar a post is made every month. This leads me to believe I could go back up to getting paid per post but since
    I am no longer being paid, I am focusing my time elsewher and not posting there for free. I was actually reading your post on rejection when I found this post, this is why in freelance you never put all of your eggs in one basket! 🙂

17. Felicia says:

Today pays $1 per post plus residuals based on traffic.

I’ve been receiving $1 per post plus a few pennies each day based on traffic. As traffic improves, the pennies will improve.

As far as SEO goes, you can forgo the SEO on your posts because you’ll get $1 anyway (as long as it complies with Today’s terms), but as with any content on the internet, SEO works for your benefit. It helps people find your blog better.

Not quite sure where you got the penny per post from.

18. Shannon says:

If Today bases their compensation strictly on SEO and traffic, they really should be more upfront about it. Had I known that my blog would earn a penny or two per post, I doubt that I would’ve started one, in the first place. There is nothing wrong with such a policy and it is a fair one — but Today does not make this clear to so-called VIP bloggers. $1 per post is misleading. I was expecting a penny per word, not a penny per post! I can get that anywhere.

19. Felicia says:

I hear ya Julie.

It’s nice not to have to use SEO. That’s why I like writing on my blog here. If any of my NJFM posts are SEO compliant, it’s quite by accident. I make very little money off of this blog so I write from the heart.

However, with the Today, keep in mind that using a little SEO will help you in the long run. The more folks that find your blog through the search engines, the more residual income you’ll earn. A couple of pennies don’t seem like much at first, but I believe over time it will add up (just my personal opinion).

The bottom line is…have fun with it.

20. Julie M says:

I, too like Today. They do pay the dollar, it just takes some time. What I like about it is the low word count makes it an easy dollar. In addition, I use it to focus on a subject and I just write and don’t use SEO, which can be a nice reprieve.

Julie Ms last blog post..Is the Economy Hurting Your Writing Income?

21. I like today – particularly as after a couple of months I see to have to quite a lot of PR for individual posts and a PR3 on the top level for one and PR2 for the other. They seem to be tightening up and stopping paying people the $1 unless they make a bit of traffic in the first month. That’s totally fair – enough anyone who has tried to monetize their own blog will know how hard it is to make a $1/day with a 100 words!

Lis Sowerbuttss last blog post..Self-promotional backlinks – which don’t annoy

22. Shannon says:

Thanks for the encouragement, Felicia … and for taking the time to respond. Your blog is really awesome. I’ll hang in there with Today a little longer.

Have a great day! 🙂

23. Felicia says:

Hi Shannon,

I feel your pain. After being independent and running my own blogs, it’s taking a little getting used to having my posts “approved” or not.

I look at it this way, whether or not they pay me for the post, I post it anyway. I don’t get paid if there is a referral link, but the $1.00 they choose to withhold from me, I will more than make up for it in referrals.

As far as the Google ads being removed, personally, I don’t worry about it since I get paid by the page view instead of by the ad click. It hurts Today more than me if the ads are missing.

I’m going to stick with it for a little bit to see if I’ll keep it in my freelance writing arsenal. I try to put up 2 or 3 posts a week. Since the minimum is 100 words, that isn’t too difficult.

If the subject matter strikes me, I write more. If not, then I don’t. At $1 a post, I tend to have a bit of a cavalier attitude about Today.

Hang in there a little longer. If it becomes too much of a hassle, then let it go. That’s what I LOVE about the internet. There are so many opportunities that you don’t have to let “management” make you unhappy. You can take your writing talents and place them somewhere else where they are appreciated.

24. Shannon says:

I’m not liking Today much, to be honest. Three weeks ago, I joined as a VIP blogger and I’ve posted 5 times — none of which have been reviewed/approved by an editor. My posts will be more frequent but I’d like to see some earnings first. So far, I’ve accumulated a grand total of 5 cents! That’s a penny per post. And the Google ads that were initially placed above each post are now gone. This worries me because it means they’re not monetizing my blog. What to do?

25. Felicia says:

Congrats Julie!

So far they have only reviewed one of my posts. Still 9 more to go and rising. According to their FAQ’s it can take up to two weeks to approve posts so I’m not concerned.

I usually giggle at the early residual earnings of a few cents a day. So far I have whopping 28 cents in residuals and one approved post. The one good thing about Today is that your blog earns money from the first day. That’s a good thing.

Keep us posted with your progress.

26. Julie M says:

My $1.00/day has shown up. 🙂 I am up over $5.00 now. 🙂 I am really liking this site. Good idea to write as draft and spread them out! Thanks!

Julie Ms last blog post..Losing Sight of Why I Love to Write

27. Felicia says:

So far so good with me also. I find it so easy to put together quick blog posts. This week I tried writing 8 in one day and then I spaced them out to be published over the next 8 days.

Congrats on your .03! Don’t forget, you also earn $1 per blog post so you’ve earned at least $1.03. 😀 You’re rolling in the dough!! LOL.

28. Julie M says:

Great! Thanks! I like writing for them because it is a subject I am interested in and I don’t worry as much about SEO. I earned .03 so far. LOL Cheers!

Julie Ms last blog post..Not Another Blog About Obama’s Cabinet Choice!

29. Julie M says:

Just curious – When does the $1/day start showing up in your Earnings on Today?

Julie Ms last blog post..Teaching Life Blog

30. Felicia says:

I believe the blog posts must be approved first. I think they address that somewhere in the FAQ’s.

Found it:
    “Posts only show in the VIP stats area when they’ve been reviewed by an editor. It can take up to 2 weeks for an editor to review your posts and they are not always reviewed in the order in which they were written.”

31. Julie M says:

I also joined Today, today. I think I will enjoy the more free-style writing it allows and will see how it pans out! Thanks again for all your ideas. Here is the new site: teachinglife.today.com

Julie Ms last blog post..Blogging on Today.com

32. Kristi Carter says:

Hey Felicia.

I’m glad you’ve taken the today.com plunge. I like it too. I usually write an entry first thing is the morning so that I can wake up my brain, help others and make money too. I haven’t reached payout but I just started last month. LOL!

Kristi

33. mangowitch says:

Hey, congrats on joining Today.com. I joined up in September and added another one recently. Like you, it doesn’t take me too long to write something up, so it doen’t seem like too much work.

I haven’t reached payout yet, but I’m getting there. I’m looking forward to all the changes they’re gonna be introducing in a while.

take care!

mangowitchs last blog post..Awww, Usher done gone and had Baby no.2…

34. Julie M says:

Yet, another opportunity! How do you track it all? lol Well, $1.00 sometimes can be more than I have been earning on eHow lately. Thanks!

Julie Ms last blog post..Babe Ruth and Striking Out

35. Felicia says:

Good for you Jamie!

I try to tell everyone I talk to who is worried about whether or not they will keep their job or is struggling financially to try their hand at earning money online. Some folks think of the get rich quick schemes and they get scared while other folks don’t want to put in the time or effort.

All I can do is share what I know. Hopefully when they get sick and tired of being sick and tired, maybe they’ll try writing. In the meanwhile, it’s up to us to earn as much as we can to become the living proof that it can be done.

36. Jamie says:

Love your blog, Felicia. You are part of a growing list of savvy writer moms that I’ve been following.

Thanks for posting about Today.com. I get to add another resource to my expanding bag o’tricks.

For newbies – it really is possible to get started quickly earning money freelancing. It can be done by just about anyone with halfway decent writing skills. I’ve only been at it for a month, and I’ve earned some extra holiday cash – it sure helps at this time of year.

Jamies last blog post..Is It Really Possible to Earn Money Writing Online?

37. Julie says:

I’m intrigued by Today.com too. I’ll be watching closely to see what your experience is like. Thanks for sharing.

Julies last blog post..$10 eBook Sale: How to Write for eHow

38. I plunged over to Today.com not too long ago and don’t regret it all. Not owning the rights to my work is no problem because I won’t reuse it. It’s easy. You get paid for hardly any work. I really love it. Glad to see you joined. Thanks for stopping by my Today.com blog the other day, as well, because I always love to hear from you.

Also, there are big bonuses for top referrers and top views pages. I am sure you can get that, and then you get hundreds of dollars in bonuses! Check out their blog for more information. I really hope you enjoy it!

Jessie Ann Heekins last blog post..Twitter, freelance writing, my new business, and how it all happened in 10 steps

39. Jen Brister says:

I love writing for Today. I just got a payout from them for $50. If you are able to claim a second blog, I encourage you to do it. It only takes a few minutes per day. Today also has a pretty nice community of writers.

Jen Bristers last blog post..My Top Earning eHow Articles

40. Felicia says:

Hey Jen,

I stopped by your blog the other day. You do a great job!

I’m only on my second day with Today, but so far so good. It really doesn’t take very much time. I might take your advice and claim a second blog once I truly fit this one into my online writing groove.

Thanks Jen.