What’s the Twitter about Twitter?

| November 18, 2008 | 9 Comments

I’ve come across the mention of Twitter on several blogs. Several well-respected blogs, I might add. I haven’t joined and am wondering what the fascination with it is.

Yesterday was the first time that I even “used” Twitter. Well, I didn’t really use it, I followed Bukisa’s Twitter link because it had the most updated information about their Terms of Service (There was a question as to whether or not authors retained full rights to their articles placed on Bukisa, and the answer is yes).

That was my one and only exposure to Twitter. It was a helpful experience, but I’m not quite sure if I need to Twitter. Maybe it’s because I don’t quite understand it so well.

Part of my concern is that I spend quite a number of hours on the computer writing, posting, emailing and following stats. I’m concerned that if I add Twitter to my daily routine, my family may never see me.

I’m just curious, do many of you Twitter? For those Twitterers, how has it been beneficial for you?

I’m still undecided as to whether or not to Twitter and am looking for input.

Thanks!

Tags: , , , ,

Category: Bukisa, Internet, Social Networking, Twitter

1. Julie says:

I just joined after hearing so much about it and Today.com has added a site, too. I have not had a chance to check it out though. I will look at Jessie’s article and add. Thanks!

Here is my Twitter. http://twitter.com/juliebmack

2. Felicia says:

Thanks Alyssa,

I’ve just downloaded the guide and I’ll take a look through it.

I’m including the link to the guide here. just in case anyone else has yet to take the Twitter plunge and wants additional info.

You guys are awesome. Thanks for all of the info.

3. Jessie says:

Definitely try it out. Although, now I’m laughing because they are going to be down for about an hour. Sheesh. All of that good testimonial fer nuthin’ just kidding. They always come back soon.

4. Jessie says:

Sorry if I overwhelmed you. It’s a great opportunity, and I was frustrated, confused, and overwhelmed when I began with Twitter.

Jessies last blog post..

5. Alyssa says:

I agree that it’s easy to feel overwhelmed by all this social media stuff. However, don’t put Twitter to rest just yet. I was referred to this site (snipurl.com/3hp83) by a speaker at Dow Jones. It describes how large businesses, such as Dell, are using Twitter.

John Jantsch wrote a brief guide titled “Using Twitter for Business”. It’s a free download from the mentioned Web site. I just glanced at it, but I can readily see that it’s an easy read and full of information. I believe it answers your question of “What the heck is Twitter and why should I even try it?”

I’m not a Twitter evangelist, but I’m hearing the Twitter buzz word in large companies that want to stay connected with clients. From a writer’s perspective, it may be a way to get in touch with your blog readers, existing and potential.

6. Jessie says:

Whoops! Sorry I left you such a gigantic comment. (http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dgpkcdf7_45dscrj7dq). I wanted to add (!) that you should also join these two groups: eHow authors group (http://is.gd/7WKR) and BukisaTweeples group (http://is.gd/7YQU).

7. Felicia says:

You didn’t overwhelm me. Anything new takes a while to get used to. I guess I’ll sign up and take it slow. I’ll start with training wheels until I feel a bit more comfortable with it.

Thanks for all of the great info!

8. Jessie says:

I am personally an avid Twitter. I joined a month or so ago and have found it to be a valuable tool, a fun way to communicate with others, and something that can be a gigantic time waster. I have found friends and business with Twitter, however.

I would say that you should join Twitter. Not just because I love Twitter, but because it is a refreshing way to get business.

I ranked in the “elite” status within days of joining because I understood the basics of the opportunity. You need to mix personality with promotion, plugs with playing: you should offer quality content and interact with others as well.

I wrote an eHow that sums up the basic strategies for Twitter. Why don’t you join Twitter, follow me (http://twitter.com/covewriter) and let us know what you think?

My strategy with Twitter has been long revised, because I at first spent time on Twitter and didn’t work. However, I found a way to make Twitter fun and motivational–a valuable use of one’s time. I suggest that you leave Twitter open on your computer all day. Post goals quickly before starting a project (for you have 140 characters to work with) and when you need a break look at what others have said and @reply to them regarding their goals or resources. When you read something you like, “retweet” it, sure to include the @theirusername. Don’t feel pressured to “tweet” but try to get used to this microblogging tool.

It actually helps me find business. The secret to using Twitter for networking and business is just this: give quality content. Quality content brings clients, brings fellow writers, brings respect, and brings the ever-important “followers” on Twitter.

I hope you will try Twitter. I follow many, many people, but would suggest that you follow these select individuals especially. All writers.
    -me (@covewriter)
    -Maria O’Brien (@writergig)
    -@writingspirit
    -@Miragi
    -@christammiller

There are so, SO many more great people to follow. Get a feel for it. Also, as I had looked to see if you had a Twitter, “tidbits” is taken.

So come on over and @reply to me if you decide to try Twitter. I promise that leaving it open all day makes it easier and not seem like time draining work.

Let me know,

Jessie

9. Felicia says:

Wow, a ringing endorsement for Twitter.

Honestly, I think I’m a little overwhelmed, but I’m leaning towards trying it.