Bukisa – Another Money Making Opporunity for Freelance Writers

| November 16, 2008 | 32 Comments

Bukisa is a startup content providing site that pays freelance writers residual income based on a per page view basis. Unlike sites like eHow and Suite 101 that pay writers based on a portion of ad clicks, Bukisa pays writers on a set rate per thousand page views.

For me this is a new format since all of my online content writing has been on a per click basis. I guess I won’t have to spend the time researching keyword prices before writing the article since I’m not getting paid based on the revenue the article generates. That gives me an additional sense of creative freedom.

Writers have a large selection of topics to choose from when writing for Bukisa. The topics range from Arts & Entertainment to Travel.

Writers also earn money by referring other writers to the Bukisa site. They only earn money if the referral actually signs up and writes content that garners page views. The referrer gets an added bonus based on the referred page views. For a more detailed explanation, visit their FAQ.

The good thing about Bukisa is that you can write on topics you’re familiar with and earn residual income. The more traffic your articles receive, the more money they make.

Another plus for Bukisa is that it’s not limited to US writers only.

My Brief Career with Bukisa

I recently signed up and placed my first article on the site yesterday. Imagine my surprise when I logged into my account today to find that I earned eight cents so far. The article was only viewed 19 times. Go figure.

If you have a little extra time on your hand and would like to earn a little in residual income, why not give it a shot?

Tags: , , , ,

Category: Bukisa, eHow, Legitimate, Opportunities, Suite 101

Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she's not writing or commenting on NJFM, she's either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites which include Tidbits and Stuff, BLULOW, A Dose of Health and a few other sites/blogs scattered around the internet.

1. Chanell says:

Hi, I discovered your site via your myLot profile. I have been submitting articles to helium and Associated Content for a few months now and I am loving the passive income market!

Your entries are well-written and I have enjoyed what I’ve viewed thus far! Wishing you much continued success!
    .-= Chanell´s last blog ..Pet rocks were once all the rage for a brief period of time in the mid 1970s. Here was an incredibly simple idea that probably seemed completely r… =-.

Hi Chanell.

Welcome to NJFM. Passive income is a great way to earn money. I’ve not spent much time on Helium or Associated Content. I’ve joined both but never really got the “warm and fuzzy” feeling for either of them. I’m glad they’re working well for you.

Hope you can find a few tips here at NJFM that are helpful.

2. Mandy Harris says:

Felicia, your blog has a wealth of information, all of which I am going to utilize as I build my work at home income. Thank you!

3. Petal says:

I’m just getting started writting on the web, and I was wondering if there is one place for publishing articles which simply pays the most. Based only on profit, which is the best?

4. Sher says:

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such a kind comment! :0) I am back here, today, reading more…and decided to give Bukisa a try. I’m very new at this…so we’ll see how it goes! I’ve added you as a friend there, too!

Have a great day,
    Sher :0)

Shers last blog post..The Good Czech Housewife

5. callie says:

Hello, I came across your site through some search. I cant remember how, but I am definitely glad I did! Writing has been a passion of mine for some time, and I am always looking for clever (or not so clever) ways to earn money practicing my art.

I use Bukisa and have been since December 27th. I only have 8 articles published, but I have earned almost $2. Its not a lot at all, but its a start. Bukisa pays based on impressions. I dont think that “views” have anything to do with it. Its frustrating, but it works.

I am going to go add you as a friend there, and check out some of your writing.

Thanks for providing us all with great resources and information on your writing experiences. Its proven to be quite helpful!

6. Julie M says:

That’s interesting about Bukisa. I have not put much effort there either. No particular reason, just busy elsewhere. I do have four articles up there that earn a few pennies a day. I am sure if I had more articles I could earn more. I may focus more on that eventually.

Julie Ms last blog post..The TwitWall Conjures Up Interesting Ideas

7. Kristi says:

Hey Felicia-

I will definitely keep you posted. My new goal is to have 100 articles at all the major article residual sites to see which ones pay the most. I also plan on having 1000 at eHow. I will definitely keep you posted on my progress.

8. Felicia says:

Hi Kristi

I personally haven’t put a whole lot of effort into Bukisa. I have 13 articles on there and will sporadically add an article as time permits.

I tend to concentrate on my more lucrative income streams. I guess if I put as much effort into Bukisa as I do eHow or Suite or my blogs/sites, it will probably bring in more income faster, but I just haven’t had the inclination to work too hard at Bukisa right now.

If you add 100 articles, you should see results. Keep us advised of your progress.

9. Kristi says:

Hey Felicia –

Quick question…I’ve been on Bukisa for about a month so far and have been wondering what you think about it? Are you finding that it is profitable? For me, I seem to be progressing much faster at eHow but still want togive Bukisa a shot. I’ve been thinking about stopping there at 100 articles and then moving on to the next stream.
    Let me know your thoughts.

10. Zoe says:

I just signed up today, it looks good doesn’t it? I’m friending you Felicia so I can leave comments!

11. Felicia says:

I use the name Tidbits. Here’s my profile: Tidbits

12. Julie says:

Okay, I took the plunge and signed up with Bukisa, too! http://www.bukisa.com/people/JulieBeth what is your name so I can add you as a friend?
    I only wrote one article about travel. I do like how you can be more versatile in your article writing than just “how-to’s” Whew–so I have three sites (plus my informal blog) that I write for. Keeps me busy.

13. Felicia says:

Hi Jen,

Don’t get discouraged about the Suite earnings. It just shows that people are normal and they prefer to eat turkey on Thanksgiving instead of reading our articles.

The earnings will rebound.

I just signed up for Today this morning. I’ll check it out to see if its for me.

14. Jen Brister says:

I’m glad you have signed up at today.com. I think you’ll like it there. I have found that over the last 5 days or so my Suite 101 earnings have bottomed out! Have you seen a downward trend with your suite earnings or is it just me?

Jen Bristers last blog post..How Do YOU Blog?

15. Felicia says:

I think you’ll find it a nice addition to the rest of your freelance writing income streams.

I’m pretty busy with other stuff so I add an article every other day or so. Currently I’m recycling some of my old articles and placing them on Bukisa.

16. the green ninja says:

I’m taking the plunge. I’m signing up through your link as we speak!

the green ninjas last blog post..Catching the Dream

17. Julie says:

Thank you so much for taking your precious time to help us newbie’s out! I will use some of your ideas. I think non-SEO writing does flow better and feel more real.

Julies last blog post..First Suite 101 Article Posted

18. Julie says:

Well, I am also “writing” for my Master’s degree, too. I swear I never thought I would be the type to spend more than half of my day online! So, does the writing come quicker with practice? Doing all the preliminary before writing the article seems to take up time (not duplicating article, coming up with SEO titles and keywords, an original idea, etc.)

Julies last blog post..First Suite 101 Article Posted

19. Felicia says:

The more you write, the better your rhythm becomes. I keep an Excel spreadsheet of topics when they come to mind so I have a list of about 300 or more topics. I usually write about things that affect me in one way or another so doing the research not only helps me with my writing, it helps me in my daily life. There’s a fine line between my writing and my life.

Since I’m not working on a Master’s degree, my time is less structured. As a matter of fact, my time is whats left over after my kids get done with running me ragged.

I have a bit of a rhythm at times with my writing. I use a digital recorder which helps immensely. My dog thinks I’m totally nuts, but I spend a lot of time dictating my work (when the kids aren’t around).

As far as the SEO part, I’m always learning and improving, but it gets easier as time goes on. You get to the point where you write some articles for SEO purposes (like when writing for Suite 101, eHow and other sites) and other times you write just because you want to write. This blog, for instance, is not a good example of effective SEO practices. I write what I want the way I want. Sometimes the search engines pick it up and other times not.

Just like learning to walk, the more you do it, the less you wobble and fall. Keep writing and you’ll soon find that your articles will become easier and quicker to write.

20. Julie says:

Great stuff. Felicia, Where do you find the time to write for all these sites? I love your blog and it has really motivated me to keep writing. I started on Ehow a little less than a month ago and have 36 articles so far.

Keep up the good work!

21. Felicia says:

Thanks Julie,

As far as finding time to write, some days are way more productive than others, but I keep my eyes on the prize and keep writing.

You seem to be doing quite a bit of writing yourself!

22. WriterGig says:

I’m really enjoying your blog, Felicia! I am intrigued by Bukisa as well and really interested in how it pans too. The ability to link to my own sites or blogs is awesome–something we don’t get with eHow (Well, you can link, but only at bottom, and they are all no-follow tags). Looking forward to when Bukisa gets their forum up and running and we can chat there. :)

WriterGigs last blog post..eHow vs. Bukisa

23. Kyo says:

Thanks so much for this article. I was just asking someone on Twitter what this whole site was about– how did I not really know about it?

Anyway, I just signed up through your referral. We’ll see how it goes!

Kyos last blog post..Photo

24. Felicia says:

Hey Kyo,

Glad I can be of help. Thanks for the sign up.

Thanks to you too, Alina.

25. Alina Bradford says:

Great! Thanks Felicia!

Alina Bradfords last blog post..What Can You Make on Ehow?

26. Felicia says:

According to a post on the eHow forum and Twitter, you retain all rights to your work on Bukisa.

Supposedly Bukisa updated their terms of service accordingly. I haven’t checked, however.

27. Alina Bradford says:

Do they take all rights? I didn’t see where it said on the site…

Alina Bradfords last blog post..What Can You Make on Ehow?

28. Jessie says:

I will definitely let you know when it is done. I am spending a heavy amount of time researching because I want to have an ebook not just worth paying for, but something others will sell in an affiliate program.

As far as the approval process, I talked to Bukisa (they are on Twitter and always provide fast and friendly help) and they said that the approval process is random. Maria said that it had happened every time she went to post. It has happened a few times for me, but about 20 seconds later the article was posted.

I hope you enjoy using Bukisa. I added you as a friend and commented on your articles.

Jessies last blog post..

29. Felicia says:

Thanks for adding me as a friend.

I’m a little slow so I haven’t quite figured out how to do the friend thing yet. Once I figure it out, I’ll definitely add you and check out a few of your articles.

30. Jessie says:

Felicia, You should find yourself enjoying Bukisa more and more. Your earnings come fast and your articles get more exposure than one might find from a newer site. I wrote a few eHow articles about Bukisa. I will be writing an eBook (very much inspired by the idea of Maria O’Brien’s book) about Bukisa (and other sites) as income earning opportunities for freelance work at home writers. I am really loving Bukisa so far and I know that others will too.

31. Felicia says:

Good for you.

Let me know when the ebook is done. Maria’s book was so helpful and informative, I’d like to read yours too.

So far I noticed that Bukisa instituted an approval process. Yesterday when I posted an article it went live immediately. Today I posted one and it didn’t go live immediately. It had to be approved first.

The approval process didn’t take too long. I wrote another article for a different site and when I checked back at Bukisa, the article was published.

So far so good with Bukisa.