My eHow Experiment

| October 21, 2008

I’ve been away from blogging regularly here because I was attempting to reach my first milestone at eHow. I wanted to write 100 eHow How to’s within 30 days. I managed to get it done with 5 days to spare.

Here’s my eHow experiment.

I’m going to track how money grows and how long it takes to make eHow earnings worthwhile. I’m going to use Demand Studios as my comparison yardstick. If I had written 100 articles through Demand Studios, I would have earned $15 per article, which would mean I would have earned $1,500.

Well, maybe not. Demand Studios recently instituted a change. They no longer pay $15 for writer-generated titles. They pay based on a sliding scale. From what I understand the price can range as low as $5 to as high as $15. Although I completed the 100 articles prior to the title rate change, going forward, that is another moving factor to consider.

So far, writing 100 articles earned me a total of $14.46. That means each article is worth a little over 14 cents. I’m averaging out the income across all 100 articles. Actually only 25 articles have earned anything so far.

Using SEO Tactics

I’ve got to say that approximately 25 to 35% of the articles are written using the tips outlined in the book How to Earn Passive Income at eHow.com. Those are probably the 25 to 35 articles that have made money so far. The rest were written on topics that floated into my head on any particular day.

Going Forward

I’m going to continue to place content on eHow, but at a much slower rate. I’d like to see what happens to the first 100 after they season a little.

Check back monthly as I report my eHow earnings. As a matter of fact, why watch what I do, why not join me and try it too?

Month Amount Earned
December, 2009 $431.52
January, 2010 $604.59
February, 2010 $693.30
March, 2010 $910.16
Total Earned $6,162.00
*9/25/08 – First article placed on eHow
** I did not write any new articles for eHow in the
month of June, 2009, December, 2009  and only 1 in July, 2009
Last Updated: 4/5/2010 (Click here for screen clip of 2008 earnings)

Check out My eHow Statistical Trend.

Update 4/16/10: Due to the recent changes at eHow/Demand Studios, I have decided to discontinue my experiment.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Category: Affiliates, Demand Studios, Earning Money, eHow, Freelance, Legitimate, Opportunities, Working from Home, Writing

1. Ann says:

This is great information and gives me hope. I joined eHow in November 2009. I started with 2 articles and earned $3.65 for my first month.

December $1.70
    January $5.97

I now have a total of 13 articles; thus far I have earned $6.44 for February. My first goal is to earn $10.00 per month (hopefully in March).

I share my article links with all my social networking groups and that really helps me a lot.

2. Seema says:

I just wanted to know, if it is possible to hyperlink some website to ehow content.

Actually, one of my clients wanted that ehow should be used for obtaining backlinks for the website….He intends to use this as a SEO technique.

But, unline article directories ezinearticles.com, goarticles.com etc, the ehow articles do not have a resource box at the end of the articles, so would it be possible to give backlinks to any website by submitting relevant articles to eHow.

Pls. guide. I would wait for the response.

Thanks,
    Seema Adnani

Hi Seema,

I’m not quite sure if I understand what you’re asking.

There are resource boxes at the end of eHow articles where you can link to relevant content. If your client wants to share more information about himself he would have to use his eHow profile.

I hope that answers your question.

3. Rita says:

Thanks for writing this. You’re making very good progress. Tell me, after writing the articles, how much did you promote them?

Rita, I spend little time promoting my eHow articles.

Sometimes I would Digg or Reddit them and other times I would link to appropriate eHow articles from one of my websites, but in general, I didn’t do much promoting.

4. Pam says:

Thanks Felicia! 🙂

5. Pam says:

Thanks for all of the helpful information. I’m a newbie over at Demand. My first week in and I published 2 articles, 4 more pending. The second article was accepted word for word, but the first was a bit over the word count and was accepted but definitely edited. I’m not at all overjoyed by the result, but well I guess that’s what I get for tipping the scale on the word count. Two quick questions — once the article has been accepted, is that the final version or can you dialogue wiih the copyeditor about the edits they’ve made? My guess is no, but I thought I’d ask to see if perhaps you’ve had a similar experience?

Question #2 = about how long after the article has been accepted on Demand will it show up on the ehow site? And (ok, three questions I lied — lol) does ehow publish your name in byline or the generic “ehow contributor” when you write for Demand??

Thanks again for such an informative blog. Looking forward to your response whenever you have time. 🙂

Hi Pam,

Q#1: Usually after an article has been published, there is no further communication between the writer and editor. Most often the writers are so happy the article was approved, we leave well enough alone and start writing the next. ?

Q#2: I’m not too sure how long it takes for the article to show up on eHow. Usually it’s published shortly thereafter. Honestly, I never really checked.

Q#2.5: When your Demand Studios articles are posted on eHow they use the bio that you set up under your Demand Studios account. Be sure to complete your bio to receive your own byline.

6. Wendy Kelly says:

Hi! I’m just starting on this journey into Internet writing…I’ve got a web site on essential oils, started with DS…and have about 19 articles on ehow. I also just got accepted with suite101…

Okay. Here’s my question. I *suck* at SEO, I guess, because my ehow articles earn **maybe** 1.00 per month, if I am lucky. The weird thing is that I know a bit about SEO, and try to choose the right keywords, etc…

What am I missing? Anyone want to jump in and give advice on this? : )

I have been pretty successful with DS, so I am considering that my income maker right now. But the idea of making more with residual is sooo appealing.

Any ideas?

Oh, here is a great example. My 3 revenue share articles with DS have made me a whopping 17 cents in the last 2 weeks…total…

Welcome to NJFM, Wendy.

I wish I could give you the magic answer on SEO. Although I’m more aware of SEO now than when I started writing online, I don’t have the answer as to what works 100% of the time.

As far as your eHow 19 eHow articles, give it time. Use the AdWord Keyword Selector tool to help you to tweak your articles and select better keywords. Traditionally topics such as finance and technology are high ticket items. However, there are other niche keywords that are rather lucrative also.

I find keywords to be trial and error with a lot of tweaking. Spend some time visiting websites and blogs of SEO experts to learn as much as you can.

The funny thing with keywords is that the articles that I think will be big earners are not and those that I don’t think will do well, do well. So it’s quite obvious that I’m no expert. I tend to write a quality article first, then insert the text into the AdWord Keyword selector tool to see how I can tweak it for better ranking. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. WriterGig, a successful eHow writer, has an ebook that probably explains it much better than I can.

It’s good that you’re utilizing Demand Studios while you learn SEO. Writing for Suite will help improve your online writing skills. The editorial feedback offers tips and advice on how to tweak your articles to improve search engine ranking.

Stick with it. Over time you should be able to earn enough money online to be able to stay home and homeschool your children.

7. kharin says:

I’ve been following your blogs comparing earning potentials between eHow and Demand Studios… the amount of money per article doesn’t seem to be really high. I’m just wondering how long the articles are? Are there any mandatory length requirements? I’m thinking about possibly giving it a try….

Kharin

I believe the minimum word length is 250 words and the introduction must be at least 75 words. I usually don’t pay much attention to word count when writing for both Demand Studios and eHow. I concentrate on quality and the word count seems to takes care of itself.

8. Amanda Lake says:

Wow, I am trying to take in all this information. I am a mom, and I just graduated from college with a BSED in Middle Grades Education. My job hunt has been unsuccessful thus far, so I am exploring alternative ways to earn a little money. Even if I only earn enough to take my two babies to the Zoo I will be happy with that. I just need to decide how I want to invest my precious little time. Not that your time is not precious, I just mean the very little time I have to work when the babies are asleep! 🙂 Anywho, thank you for the wonderful, helpful advice and info!

Mandy

9. CJ Master says:

Hmm, yes. You’re right. I think it’ll probably be best for me just to try both; but I’m thinking I’ll just do eHow in the longrun. Thanks very much for your advice. 🙂

10. Felicia says:

One other thing I forgot to mention, C.J..

Time is on your side when you’re writing for residual sites. When I first started writing for eHow, I was averaging less than a few pennies per article. Now each article is worth a little over $4.00. That does not sound like much but that number goes up each day.

About two years ago I started writing for another site. When I first started writing for them, my per article rate was something similar to what I’m earning at eHow (just pennies). Now each article is averaging about $30.00 per article. I have a fraction of the number of articles there as I have for eHow but time is on my side. Each day, that per article value increases. I fully expect the same thing to happen with my eHow articles.

So, initially it may not seem worth it. However, my experience tells me that in the long run, it’s very much worth it.

11. CJ Master says:

Hmm. Yes, I suppose you’re right. So you make about 300$ a month? That’s really not too bad. How long do you think it’ll take for you to pass up what you would’ve earned in Demand Studios?

When writing for eHow, about how much do you really get for an article every month?

I once heard that you made $100 a few days, how did that happen? Just a ton of traffic to your eHows?

Do those figures only include the 100 you initially wrote, or do they include more?

Sorry for all the questions, but thanks very much! 🙂

OK C.J., let’s see if I can answer your questions.

As far as making $300 a month, it’s a moving target. As you can see from my numbers posted above, the numbers change. eHow has not updated the earnings in a few days so I don’t know how I’m doing for the month of May.

I’ve written more than 100 articles. As of this writing, I just posted my 301st article. Some of my articles are rather successful and others are not. I have one article that has earned in excess of $200 (and still earning) and I have some articles that haven’t earned a thing.

When you heard about my earning $100 a day, it was not through eHow exclusively. I write for several sites in addition to having my own blogs/sites. The $100 figure is a collective number for my various revenue sources. I think the most I’ve ever earned in one day so far with eHow was a little over $30.00.

As far as how long it’ll take for me to surpass what I can earn on Demand Studios, I really can’t give you an answer. I know that writing for eHow is a lot less frustrating for me than writing for Demand Studios. I write for DS on rare occasions.

Because I have so many articles on eHow, I don’t keep track of the initial 100. I guess I could but it’s just too time consuming and as far as I’m concerned it’s not worth the time. I tend to look at the whole picture.

If you’re trying to figure out whether or not to write for Demand Studios or eHow, why make a decision? Try writing for both. Over time you’ll come up with your own determination as to which one is better for you.

12. CJ Master says:

It looks better to write on Demand Studios, because its been about half a year and you still haven’t made as much money as you would’ve otherwise. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Hi CJ,

I guess it’s all in the way you look at it. If you’re looking for quick up front money, then Demand Studios wins hands down. My goal, however, is to develop several streams of residual income. I truly believe that over time, eHow will be the better option.

If I never write another article for Demand Studios, I’ll never get another dime from them. If I never write another article for eHow, I’ll continue to get paid.

The good thing is that we have the option to write for both (although I still prefer eHow).

13. RachelB says:

Thanks so much for writing about your eHow writing experiment. I like eHow a lot, and it sounds like your experiment is going very well for you. Congratulations!

14. Julie M says:

AnneZ,

Just remember, it is about quality, not quantity. I have 98 articles and I have been on that site for over 4 months!

Julie Ms last blog post..Productive Day of Writing with ALL My Voices

15. AnneZ says:

Way to go! You have inspired me to keep going. I have a dozen articles and am going to try 100 in 30 days! I am also going to get Maria’s eBook and digest every word!

16. Kristi says:

Congrats Felicia on your eHow earnings. I think eHow is paying off quite well for both of us. : ) I also highly recommend WriterGig’s book. 🙂 Kristi

17. Kcjo says:

Hey, congrats on your earnings. I keep my earnings updated in my blog as well if you would like to check it out. If you would like to share tips with one another then please send me a message on ehow. Happy thanksgiving. Kcjo

18. Aaron says:

The trend looks good for you.. my stats have been similar.. I’m now at about 150 articles on ehow and am making about $3 or $4 a day on average, I have been a member since July. Give it some time! It is a nice way to earn some extra cash!

19. Felicia says:

Hi Maria,

That’s good to know that the eHow articles exceed the per article earning from Demand Studios. As of this writing, my 14 cents per article on eHow has now increased to a little over 24 cents with 116 articles written.

At least the income is trending in the right direction.

Thanks for the well wishes.

20. Maria says:

Awesome experiment, Felicia, and I’ll be checking back to see how it goes.

I have also written eHow articles for DS, and at this point my average earned per article in the eHow WCP, outpaces the DS $15 flat rate by a nice margin.

Best of luck!

Marias last blog post..eHow User Forum 2008

21. Jessie says:

This is intriguing. I am aiming for a 60 article minimum (but trying for more) in November, but I work only on week days and have divided those days further. I use my business colors and have orange and purple days. On orange days I work on eHow and passive income generators such as eHow. Purple days are my education days. I hope to increase my speed in December but get started in real productivity. I bought the ebook (writergig’s) and have used the tips most always and made almost four dollars over about 14 days. I am exciting about your challenge, and am going to be blogging about my progress. Best of luck.

Jessies last blog post..Writing Support & Articles Worth Paying For: WritingSpirit.Com

22. Alex Sysoef says:

Perhaps a small suggestion based on what I have seen – many bloggers, including myself sometimes in need of articles but looking for a more packaged deals.

I have seen Tiffany Dow do this – she offers blog posts packages: 1 week, 1 month, 6 month, etc. Obviously topic by the person who orders. Might be something to earn from?

Alex Sysoefs last blog post..Shoot The Guru Game – Competition

23. Alina Bradford says:

Oops, I need to correct myself. I’ve been making $5 more every month. I put all the correct numbers here on my blog: http://writetoearn.today.com/2008/10/22/what-can-you-make-on-ehow

24. Felicia says:

Hi Alina,

That’s good to know. At least the numbers continually grow. I’ve got a way to go before I get to $55 a month, but I’ll keep writing until I do.

Thanks for the info!

25. Alina Bradford says:

Hi,
    I have almost 200 articles on eHow and so far they have been netting me about $10 more each month. For example, in July I made $55, in August I made $65, and in September I made $75. So, I make $10 more each month than I did before.

Alina Bradfords last blog post..The Secret to Getting Work as a Freelance Writer

26. Felicia says:

Believe me, I’m not going to continue at such a break neck pace. I’ve slowed thins way, way down.

100 by the end of the year is a much more reasonable pace.

27. Jen Brister says:

Looking good so far! I think I have around 54. I’m not going as fast as you, but I’d like to reach the 100 point by the end of the year.

Jen Bristers last blog post..Are We Having Fun Yet?