If you really want to learn the ins and outs of WordPress, this book is a must read. Lisa Irby, owner of 2CreateAWebsite, has been developing and profiting from building websites for many years. This Ultimate WP Starter Guide provides everything you need to know to build a website using WordPress.

EHow, Demand Studios – Can I write for both?

I’ve been writing for eHow through Demand Studios for a couple months now. The last time I checked I had written 94 articles for them which translates to $1,410. That sounds pretty good, except that I’m a real believer in residual income. Writing for Demand Studios means that if I want to earn another $1,410, I need to write 94 more articles.

In my never-ending search for better ways to earn money I came across My Work at Home Mom Blog. Similar to my experience with eHow, the blog owner, Maria O’Brien, started out writing for eHow through an outfit called The Writers Research Group.

The Writers Research Group was my intro to eHow. Although they provide content for sites other than eHow, as with Demand Studios, I wrote exclusively on the eHow project.  They paid less than Demand Studios. Their rate was $10 per article and an additional $1 if you suggested an approved title. The other difference is that they didn’t pay weekly. They paid 60 days later.

Back to eHoweHow

Maria O’Brien is now writing for eHow and earning compensation through the eHow Writers Compensation Program. In essence, you write the “How to” article under your username and get paid based on traffic, ad revenue, article popularity and so on. The idea is similar to that used on Suite 101, Associated Content, Bukisa and other shared revenue content sites.

The difference that I see here is that Maria is doing well residually writing for eHow. If you read her blog, you’ll see that her earnings have increased steadily each month. In June it was around $400, in July around $500 and $600 in the month of August. I’m sure you see the trend here.

Don’t have to hit me with a brick

My mom didn’t raise a fool. I decided to sign up for an eHow account and try writing articles directly under my eHow user name.

What I like about writing for eHow directly is that my articles are approved instantaneously. No waiting for a Demand Studiosweek or so for an editor to approve my article.

Terms and Conditions Violation?

I read through the terms and conditions to see if I was violating anything by having dual accounts. I couldn’t find anything so I decided to write to Demand Studios to ask the question.

Here’s the response:

Please refer to this blog post. If you have more questions, let me know. You can do both, but the accounts must be separate.

In essence, writers can write for both Demand Studios and eHow as long as the accounts are not combined.

What are you waiting for? If you write for Demand Studios, why not try writing for eHow directly and build a residual income stream?

(To see how much I’ve made on eHow so far check out my post: My eHow Experiment)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Bookmark and Share

Filed Under: BukisaDemand StudiosEarning MoneyeHowFreelanceLegitimateOpportunitiesSelf EmployedSuite 101Working from HomeWriting

About the Author: Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she's not writing or commenting on NJFM, she's either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites which include Tidbits and Stuff, BLULOW, A Dose of Health and a few other sites/blogs scattered around the internet.

RSSComments (10)

Leave a Reply | Trackback URL

1. Mitch says:

This is interesting stuff. I am a Demand Studio writer, but never considered just joining up with eHow itself to make money. I didn’t even know one could do that. But I’ll be looking into it now; thanks for this post.
    .-= Mitch´s last blog ..Five Personal Lessons On Health Care =-.

2. Yolanda Heiberger says:

I’ve recently been accepted as a Demand Studios writer. I’m encouraged that your experience (as well as others) with this company has been positive. In completing the W-9, what is the best way to provide a digital signature? Do I need a specialized software program to do this? Any guidance regarding this question would be greatly appreciated. I very much enjoy reading your blog! Thanks in advance.

Congrats Yolanda on your acceptance to Demand Studios.

I’m going to have to defer to one of my readers to answer your question. I signed up for DS over a year ago and I can’t remember if I printed and faxed the W-9 or checked a box on the DS site which indicated that I digitally signed the W-9. The one thing I do remember is that you don’t need special software to provide a digital signature.

Can anyone give Yolanda a better answer?

3. ANDREA says:

basically, I have had an ehow account back when they had us submit out articles into ehow and then invoice them. Then they switched over into an automated account and continued submitting my ds articles into my existing ehow account. I still get residuals on everything. I think to be safe, I will start an new ehow account and add one article a day. that way by this time this year, I should be getting an extra $100 a month based on what I have seen in the past.

4. Felicia says:

I’m playing on both sides of the fence. I’m still writing for Demand Studios and have opened my own eHow account.

Andrea, I don’t quite understand your situation, but you might have to create a new eHow account in order to add more content to it to increase your residual income.

5. ANDREA says:

I am having an issue with the Demandstudios/Ehow.

Besides payment issues from before the site became automated, I joined the site before they separated ehow and ds articles. I flat out asked if my DS articles should not go into a separate account when and got no answer. Now I have an EHow account that pays $250 a month,that I want to cultivate through ehow as hate writing for DS. I just don’t know how to approach it. An article I submitted 9/23 directly into Ehow is just sitting there unpublished and the last article I DS put into my ehow account was on 9/17. However, I did stop writing how to articles an went to About articles.

Anyone have any experience with this?

6. Felicia says:

Hi Maria,

You have truly inspired me to write more and place it on eHow rather than going through Demand Studios. While I still write through Demand Studios, your residual numbers are very impressive and motivational.

I’ll have to check out your ebook.

7. Thanks for the link love! I am glad to have stumbled across your blog, which is chock full of great info. Thanks!

I really enjoy building up my passive income and encouraging other WAHM writers and webmasters to do the same.

I have earned far more for dozens of my eHow articles than the $15 Demand Studios pays. In less than a year, nine have earned over $100 each.

My eHow residuals for September are on track to exceed $800. I detail my method in an eBook sold through eJunkie, which also has an affiliate program that you may be interested in. You can read more about it on my blog.

~Maria

8. Felicia says:

Wish I had discovered the loop hole a few months ago. Oh well. Better late than never.

9. Alina Bradford says:

My accounts were combined when I first started with Demand Studios. I was paid for the article, the article went on my eHow account, and I made residual income from it. I talk about it more on my blog, here: http://writetoearn.today.com/2008/09/23/make-residual-income-from-your-web-writing

Basically, DS realized only a couple months ago that they could get away with just paying a flat rate, from what I understand, so they stopped putting writer’s articles on their eHow account.