Are You Mentally Unemployable?

| June 27, 2008 | 18 Comments

I always thought I was fickle, but that’s not the case. In browsing through a forum the other day I found the proper diagnosis for my condition. I am Mentally Unemployable!

For those of you who just can’t seem to find the right job to keep you challenged and happy, maybe you’re suffering from the same condition. Here are a few clues to help you self diagnose:

1. You might be mentally unemployable if you don’t want to go to work at a job. The mentally unemployable don’t mind working, but it’s just the need to get up, get showered, dressed, make the lunches, get the kids off to school. They partake in the usual morning madness of rushing just to hurry up and wait in traffic or on the train or in the elevator to get to a job where you spend hours in strategy meetings reviewing the same thing over and over again.
  1. The mentally unemployable understand the merit rating system. If I work really hard, I should get really paid. If I sit at the water cooler all day, I shouldn’t get paid.
  1. A mentally unemployable person’s middle name is efficiency. Mentally unemployable folks tend to find a faster more accurate way to accomplish a task. They get work done and get it done well.
  1. The mentally unemployable just cannot stand the thought of wasting several prime hours in the morning commuting when they could actually be accomplishing a task that brings them closer to their goals.
  1. The mentally unemployable are constantly flooded with ideas and new ways to accomplish tasks. Their minds are constantly flooded with brilliant ideas only to be shot down by upper management (who really doesn’t understand).
  1. The mentally unemployable are bored at work. They lack a worthwhile mentally stimulating challenge.
  1. The mentally unemployable constantly think of ways to earn money doing something they enjoy. It’s more than just a passing thought; it’s more like an obsession.Home Office

The irony of it is that the mentally unemployable are usually well-respected, good employees because of their driven nature. They know how to view and analyze a situation, come up with a plan of action and implement it. They know what it takes to get things done.

If you suffer with at least half of the above symptoms, my friend, you are in the same boat as I am. Welcome to the mentally unemployable club (do not confuse mentally unemployable with work-aversion-itis).

Now that you have your diagnosis, what are you going to do about it?

Tags: , ,

Category: Freelance, Motivation, Self Employed, Working from Home

Sites That Link to this Post

1. howdyhoosier.com // newlywed in the midwest | August 18, 2010
  1. Joni says:

Yes! Putting it into words, it makes perfect sense. I wondered why I couldn’t keep a job. I’m not lazy (not all the time…LOL). I used to work full time and attend college full time but being “institutionalized” was not for me. I felt trapped like an animal. Most places did not want out of the box thinking; they wanted out of the manual regurgitation. They wanted robots. They did not want free thinkers and heaven forbid they did not want free talkers. Free talkers would cause the other employees to start thinking out of the box and “they” did not like that.
    Right on again, Felicia!
    Joni

2. JM says:

I just stumbled upon this article…WOW WOW WOW! Thank-you so much for putting it into words! I am not alone!!!

3. Grandma says:

Oh my, this IS interesting! I just went over to Wikipedia for a quick definition of Indigo children. Sounds like our whole family. A long time ago one of my bosses told me I was too independent to work for anybody. We got along well, but I have had no job longer than 5 years except my own independent writing. I would have kept that one had my hips not given out and made me quit. Still, this is most interesting, and where was this hiding?

4. cadebe says:

Thank you so much for this article. I now have a name for why I have found every job I’ve had since my second layoff so mentally and emotionally draining. I am beginning to test the online writing waters and I must commend you on your informative and inspirational website. Great job!

5. Jeanne du Soleil says:

Thank you for your interesting, informative, and well-written website. I’m a beginner to online writing, and am learning daily!

I am definitely unemployable and gave it up years ago. Working a job makes me suicidal! I think there are a lot of us out there. I even wrote a book about us called “A Guide for Tortured Souls” (available through Amazon). You may not be familiar with Indigos, but I feel those of us who do not fit into this society may be Indigos (and not just children) who are assisting the civilization in adjusting to present and future changes and increased awareness.

I didn’t realize I was an Indigo until I recently found a website called Indigohealings.com. I am going to pursue these ideas further.

I appreciate the opinions about Factoidz. I haven’t been able to make any headway as a writer there, and I’ve heard too many conflicting comments. Also, the pay seems pathetic. Is that typical of online writing jobs? HELP!

Thanks again and the best to you.

Jeanne du Soleil, author of “A Guide for Tortured Souls”

6. Elizabeth says:

For me this is so true I have made it my mission to earn from home only and never have a boss again. I love being around people but I do not like to waste my time working for a few bucks and never really going no where. Nice post and thanks for sharing your thoughts.

7. VC Drake says:

I love it! That’s brilliant. I saw this post at the bottom under “A Few Favorite Posts” and instantly clicked it. It is so great to read about how I feel about jobs outside of the home and now I have a name for it too!

8. DQ says:

I just found your site last night, and it has been a wealth of inspiration already! This article sums up what I’ve been feeling about work since I set foot in my first corporate America job a few years ago. I have an entrepreneurial/ non profit background, so it’s been an adjustment going from “my” schedule to “theirs.” I am ready to break free.

I’m no longer sad to be mentally unemployable. I miss being my own boss anyway. 🙂
    .-= DQ´s last blog ..What I Know for Sure =-.

9. Patricia says:

It is interesting to know I am not alone. I didn’t figure it out myself, but a boss of mine told me, “you are unemployable.” This hurt my feelings a lot. I am smart, educated, and just like you said! I blame it on our education system. Many of us are indigos. Google or bing this for description. Not all students need to be taught the same way! I am all for the Montesori Schools and other new thought schools that concentrate on a students strengths and talents along with facts and figures!

Indigo, I never heard of that phrase before. I don’t know if I’m an indigo or not, but the thought of working at a job makes my stomach turn.

I think your boss did you a favor when he/she told you that you were unemployable. I wish someone would have told me that earlier. It would have saved me a lot of time trying to figure it out on my own. 🙂

10. Seema says:

Hey Felicia….

I finally have touched the stepping stone to residuals

Just signed up for Suite101 and got accepted as a contributing writer. Any piece of advice for me?

Congrats, Seema.

My only advice is to keep writing. The Suite 101 editors will guide you. If you follow their minimum writing requirements you’ll earn money. If you write more than the minimum, you’ll earn more money.

Good luck!

11. Seema says:

Hey Felicia,

While I’ve been reading all your posts regularly…I do not drop in a comment so often.

While I have been suffering from this “Mentally Unemployable” state since 4 months now….job is indeed a struggle!!!

Your blog has been a real inspiration. Though residuals is not currently my way of earning…I am planning to take it up soon after I leave my job.

Read this post at just THE RIGHT TIME :)…

12. Jessica says:

WOW!!

Well!

At least I know i’m not alone.

I’ve been unemployed for about a year now….lol…it’s ridiculous how much I can relate to this article…

13. leen says:

Until today I seriously think I’m the one with the problem while everyone else seems to be finding their niche and work happily ever after, I’m still trying to figure out how to avoid having a boss at all.

Now I know I’m not mentally retarded in the employment world, what a relief….fuh!

Thanks for the article.

leens last blog post..A Quick Story

14. Felicia says:

Jennifer, You are an inspiration!

I wish you the best. Congrats on quitting your job. Your energy and passion for your new venture is going to carry you a long way!

I’ll keep checking your blog to see how you’re doing.

Best wishes!

15. That’s me to a T, and that is why I put in my notice yesterday! I just can’t bring myself to put energy into this crap anymore–and I’m getting really sick of other people’s need to “develop” me. I don’t need development, I need to be left alone to do my job! Oops, I’m ranting…