≡ Menu

Demand Studios is a Keeper

A few posts ago I mentioned that I stumbled across a potential money making opportunity for freelance writers and filmmakers. Demand Studios provides online content for reputable well established websites and require quality writers and filmmakers.

I submitted my application and was approved within 24 hours. I logged into my account, downloaded their style guide document, reviewed it and started my money making journey.

Freelance Writers

I can explain Demand Studios from a freelance writers point of view. I welcome any comments from filmmakers//videographers. I’d like to know if your experience is similar to mine.
[smartads]
They allow you to select no more than 10 titles at a time. Since this is for the eHow project, I was already familiar with their writing style guide. I wrote 3 of my 10 articles and submitted them for review. No sense in writing all 10 only to have them all come back to me for edit or re-write.

Waiting

I wrote and submitted the articles on the Thursday before the Memorial Day holiday weekend so I assumed I wouldn’t hear anything until the holiday was over. I checked my account from time to time to see if there was anything new.

I a few days after the holiday I received three e-mails from them advising me that my articles had been approved and are being processed for payment. The going rate for the eHow project is $15 per article.

Proof is in the Paypal

On Friday, I received notification from Paypal that $45.00 was deposited into my account from Demand Studios.

It really doesn’t get any easier than that. Demand Studios appear to be a viable money making opportunity to fill in the gap on those weeks, when Google changes its algorithm and your income plummets, or during those seasonal downtime fluctuations.

Finding the Groove

Since I’m so new with Demand Studios I haven’t quite gotten into the groove. When I say groove, I mean I’d like to get a better feel for when the editors review the articles. If they review them all on Tuesdays, for example, I’d like to make sure that I have several articles submitted by Monday.

It seems that once it is approved, payment happens shortly thereafter. Not bad for a few quick dollars.

UPDATE: Apparently there was a Demand Studio fau paux.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About the author: Felicia A. Williams is a freelance writer and blogger. She spends the majority of her time with her family and writing. If she’s not writing or commenting on NJFM, she’s either outside smelling the roses or writing articles for one of her other sites which include Tidbits and Stuff, BLULOW, A Dose of Health and a few other sites/blogs scattered around the internet.

Comments on this entry are closed.

• The Guest July 7, 2010, 10:59 pm

Hi,
    I have checked the signup page. It asks for a resume. I’m a student and I can safely say that I’m a good writer. But I don’t have a resume.

My knowledge? Programming, Social Media, Technology, Scientific-oriented… What shall I put in my resume? Any ideas how to create it, so I get accepted?

Thanks a million!

• Bekah July 2, 2010, 8:20 pm

Can anyone who has written for Demand Studios (e-how) tell me how the article photos are handled that go with your article? Do we the writers have to supply the photos or does e-how take care of that side of things?

Any info on this, please post.
    Thanks in advance!

• Felicia July 4, 2010, 8:00 am

Bekah, you must use the eHow supplied photos. You are no longer able to upload your own photos.

• Reader April 27, 2010, 2:06 am

@Felicia hi
    i am a fresher to content writing and while searching for a topic called ” life at demand studios”, i found this blog. Your writing skills and the way you talk are too good. I wish to start my career in writing, can you help me in improving my writing skills?

I would be glad if you can suggest me few sites and guidelines to become a good content writer.
    .-= Reader´s last blog ..Social Media Role in Real World Business =-.

• James April 12, 2010, 6:08 pm

My account at demand studios was disabled today as the editors had rejected my first two articles. The third one was not even checked over. Has anyone had this happen to them?

• Felicia April 12, 2010, 11:02 pm

Wow, that stinks. James, I’m sorry to hear they closed out your account.

I don’t know if you have tried Textbroker or any other online writing sites, but there is life after Demand Studios. Check out the NJFM database. Hopefully you’ll find something that works better for you.

• Elizabeth February 24, 2010, 4:34 am

Very interesting discussion. You may get other new mail on this from people on the Writer’s Market [Writer’s Digest] mailing list. WM just sent out a supposed “newsletter” or “update” which proved to be just a big ad for Demand Studios! I decided to Google DS, which led me to this site. I am writing to ask whether you have any updates on DS . . . ?

Felicia, I particularly enjoyed the calm, positive attitude with which you infused all your posts. Also, having read your parenthetical testimonial for *Who Moved My Cheese?*, I plan to get hold of that book ASAP. Many thanks!

• Felicia February 24, 2010, 6:46 am

Hi Elizabeth,

I have a few posts here on Demand Studios. I share more of my experiences writing for them. Hopefully you can find them if search around (I’m seriously looking for a new template to make searching this blog easier).

All in all, Demand Studios is good for earning steady quick cash if you can find topics that you can write about in a half hour or less. Be prepared, however, the editing process can be frustrating. I share one of my frustrating experiences here.

I guess if you don’t take them too seriously, DS a good resource to have in your freelance writing bag of tricks.

• Jennifer December 24, 2009, 9:35 am

Hi to all fellow writers. I have only been a writer with DS for a few months now, but I have been a freelance writer for many years. I am glad to have literally stumbled upon this site. I was only averaging about $3 per 500 word article through previous efforts and taking the chance that I would not ever receive payment. I like the twice a week payments, and now I clear $900- $1000 + a week total.
    I agree that the How To formats are the easiest; I can easily do 10-15 of those per day. I am not happy, however, with the lack of training and communication between the CEs and the upper level staff. They change things regularly and then the CEs will send your articles back for the oddest reasons, like not having images. Part of the changes have included images, and there are may formats including the How Tos that do not provide you with the option of uploading images anymore. When you remind them of this fact, that is widely known, they automatically reject your articles because you did not make the changes that they asked. Site issues are also causing problems, but they seem to get fixed quickly.
    As for the editors and their timing, it varies. They have their own schedules just like the writers. They choose which articles they want to edit and when they want to do it. As a standard personal rule, I make sure that the articles I want to go on a certain pay are turned in 24 hours before the approval deadline. So, for the Sunday deadline of Tuesday pay, articles are turned in on Saturday, and for the Wednesday deadline of Friday pay the articles are turned in on Tuesday. It helps me keep track of which articles will be paid on what day.

• Rachel October 19, 2009, 7:25 am

I was going to apply for Demand Studios but a few writers there have told me they now require your real name to be used (no pen names) and they want you to put up all your personal information – where you worked, what school you went to etc.

For 15 bucks an article, not worth it especially when anyone at DS can access your info. DS should be ashamed of themselves in this day and age of people having their identities stolen and anyone who works for Demand Studios now is taking the chance that will happen to them. No thanks :(

• Felicia October 19, 2009, 8:05 am

Just for clarification, Demand Studios does allow you to use a pen name.

The following was taken from their “My Bio” page:

Display Name

The display name is your byline and will appear with your articles. Please use your first and last name or pseudonym.

It’s been a while since I wrote an article for DS and I’d probably have to update my bio first. Just another reason for me to continue seeking residual income sources.

• Tena June 9, 2009, 1:28 pm

Hi there. Ok, so I am seeing here where you can earn residual income. I am all for that. I’ll do some more reading but it looks like first I will look at Today. Besides, I am so ADD that working at more than one thing will work out fine for me.

• Tena June 9, 2009, 12:53 pm

I have been coming here since I stumbled upon this site. Great place by the way.

As for me, I am trying to find a place to make enough money to take care of me and pay bills. Baby boomer and empty nester for the most part. The other part being that my son still is only about half way flown the coop and the other half here, but I am not complaining. :-)

I have seen all the sites for listings of work at home opportunities and feel sort of lost, not knowing the best ones. Hopefully I will find one while I work to build my blog. I’m not giving up on it just yet.

Anyway, just a shout out and I am reading posts here today.

• Felicia June 9, 2009, 1:16 pm

Hey Tena,

You’re right. There are tons of ‘work at home’ opportunities, some reputable and many are not. You seem to be taking the right approach of building your own blog while searching for other opportunities. You’ll probably find that you’ll need more than one opportunity to bring in the amount that you need. Stick with it. You’ll be glad you did.

• Joanne May 31, 2009, 11:32 pm

I’ve just started with Demand Studios, and I’m stymied. The topics are ridiculously narrow and technical. In its guide, Demand Studios reasonably says that writers shouldn’t choose topics they know nothing about. But there isn’t one topic there that I know anything about!!!

One other thing: Why do they keep articles on the list that are taken? Every article I’ve queried is already taken. I haven’t even found one yet that’s available. Am I looking on the wrong list?

• Felicia June 1, 2009, 7:43 am

Hi Joanne,

Make sure you’re looking at the “Find Assignments” list. I just took a quick look and it seems that they have quite a few titles to select from.

Are you narrowing your search too much by inserting words in the “Filter by keyword” box?

• Mandy May 26, 2009, 5:10 pm

I just found your website and I love it! I’ve been writing online for a few months now and I will definitely be returning here regularly as I try to up my income. After reading this post, I applied to Demand Studios and was rejected (I’ll massage my bruised ego with chocolate, later)! I’ve been writing for textbroker and consistently recieve four stars and “excellent” feedback. I suspect that one of the reasons I was rejected is that the sample articles I sent were not the “type” they assign. Textbroker is mostly short copy for companies. Can you let me know what common Demand Studios assignments ask for? Whatever it is, I am going to write some samples and reapply! Thanks!

• Felicia May 26, 2009, 6:26 pm

Welcome Mandy.

I love your positive attitude. Since Demand Studios supplies articles to eHow, Live Strong and a couple of other sites, take a look there to view a few samples.

I’ve only done “How to’s” and “How Does” articles for Demand Studios. They want you to describe step by step how to do things in an “actionable” fashion and I believe the articles should be at least 250 words in length (they change the writing guidelines rather often so I’m not sure if the word count I quote is correct). Topics range from How to Calculate Loan Interest Rate to How to Build a Deck. Some titles are really strange (like the infamous How to Build a Vacuum Bra).

While they are great for a quick buck, they can be a bit frustrating at times. You should also try writing for eHow directly. Some folks are doing rather well with them.

You seem to have the right attitude and ability to do well with them. I’m not sure why they would reject you.

• Henry May 16, 2009, 12:45 pm

how do you know if demand studios respond to your application.they are supposed to send an emial right.i keep getting an email from media review or something.is that demand studios contacting me or not.

• Felicia May 16, 2009, 3:53 pm

Demand Studios is owned by Demand Media. Back when I signed up for Demand Studios I received an email reply to my application. I can’t remember if it came from Demand Studios or Demand Media.

• JB March 4, 2009, 11:18 am

I used to write for Writers Research Group, and I really liked the editors and company owners, but things kept changing. It was difficult to keep up with the format and guideline changes. Not to mention, we had to wait 60 plus days to get paid.

Now, I was accepted to write for Demand Studios. The pay is much better, and I get paid weekly. So far, I haven’t had any articles rejected. :-) Also, there isn’t any pressure from Demand Studios as there was with WRG.

• Carla November 9, 2008, 5:27 am

I’m glad you were spared from the massive post tool technical glitch that kicked out all articles containing apostrophes, quotes, and dashes. Now that it’s fixed and the plagiarism scare passed editorial review, I’m happy again at Demand Studios. Whew!

Carlas last blog post..Transition School Early Entrance Program- TS EEP

• Felicia November 9, 2008, 5:37 am

Hi Carla,

Oh, quite the contrary. I wasn’t spared the technical glitch. I too posted articles that were erased. I found that when I did a “How to” article, I had to manually type it on the Demand Studios interface.

When I posted a “How Does” article, I had to type it in Word, copy and paste it into notepad, then copy and paste it from notepad into the Demand Studios interface.

The first time I thought I had done something wrong. Then I quickly saw it wasn’t me, but they were having a problem. Having read “Who Moved My Cheese,” I wasn’t phased by the problem. Yes, it did take extra time, but I often remind myself of my goal so when my cheese moves, I either move with it or find new cheese.

• Felicia November 2, 2008, 7:25 am

Hi Carla,

Good for you that you turned a reject into a top notch article!

I’ve found that as a freelance writer, it’s all about taking one site’s trash and converting it into another site’s treasure.

I picked up my writing for Demand Studios lately. I write about 4 articles a day. I’ve been selecting the How To’s because they seem so much simpler to write. The writing format is much easier and I can get through one in about a half hour.

They seem to have picked up their review time also so last week was a pretty smooth Demand Studios week for me. I take it a week at a time to see how it goes. If ever I find it to become frustrating, I reduce my Demand Studios time and increase time elsewhere.

I test the waters with them from time to time. Right now the water is fine so I’m enjoying a relaxing swim.

• Carla November 2, 2008, 3:08 am

I’ve been writing for Demand Studios for about 2 weeks. The first week was smooth sailing. I wrote 10 articles, received only one minor edit request, and was paid $135 at week’s end (2 articles were still processing). DS increased my article limit to 20 and I decided to commit a substantial amount of my writing time to them.

This week has been a mess. One article was flagged for potential plagiarism. It was a piece on Boolean algebra necessitating inclusion of numerous identity laws (x+y=y+x, etc.) that meet Purdue OWL’s yardstick for common knowledge. Since the content is conventionally displayed in essentially every text, the inclusion miffed the anti-plagiarism software. The piece took far more than an hour to write.

The next article was a piece on “How to Mute a Home Phone” that I took extra effort to find great photos for and expand with details of telephone seminar muting protocols, etc. I was trying for rich content, keyword inclusion, readability, and great google ranking for a simplistic topic. If I just wrote “Press the mute button” the article would never rank for DS/eHow. The piece received an extended edit request about my writing being too good to obscure with fluff. Agreed. Getting 300 words out of how to mute a home phone had required mentioning barking dos and crying babies. I streamlined as suggested, added a sentence to clarify the definition of telephone seminars, and…HAD THE WHOLE BIT REJECTED. So I had two hours invested with no money on a topic I can repurpose for nowhere but eHow. To top it off, my three most recently written articles won’t post- 3 hours wasted between yesterday and today on repeated attempts direct typing, pasting, and every combination in between. The DS posting platform likes to tease. I paste one paragraph as a test, save to draft, then finish the rest when all appears well. Then poof!

I liked the seemingly easy money, but decided Suite101 was a better use of my time this evening. I repurposed the research from a Demand Studios project and posted on Suite101. Last week I went long on a piece for DS that was really interesting, expanded the excess for Suite101, and received an Editor’s Choice Award. This week I’m happier at Suite101.

I love your site. Great work!

Carlas last blog post..Online Gifted Homeschool Support Groups

• Felicia July 24, 2008, 7:11 pm

I’m glad to know that they’re hiring more editors. I’ve got a few awaiting approval.

Since they were taking so long, I stopped choosing titles. I’ll wait and see how long the turn around time is for the few I wrote. If it picks up, then I’ll choose more and write more. In the meanwhile I’m still looking at other opportunities.

• Stevee July 24, 2008, 6:48 pm

I know that there was just recently a call for more Editors for DS, and it looks like soon they might be reviewing in a bit more timely fashion. I have been with them for about a month and a half, and adore it.

• Scott July 22, 2008, 9:46 pm

I’ve written for DS for about five months, now. When I first started, they were excellent about payment, but they’ve recently become a problem. I had one article sit, not reviewed, for over ten days.

But then, they’re probably just back-logged. It’s the summer.

• Felicia July 22, 2008, 12:12 pm

I agree with you. I would prefer a little more communication. I have a few articles that have been waiting for Demand Studio’s approval since last week.

Sometimes they approve them quickly and other times it takes a while. I also noticed that some editors are pickier than others. I wrote several articles on the same topic. The only difference was it occurred in different states. All of the articles were approved except for one. The editor wanted me to add tips.

I realized that tips weren’t necessary, so I put in the simplest most obvious tip and it was approved.

Demand Studios is great for supplemental income, but it cannot be the only source of income.

• Karen July 21, 2008, 7:04 pm

I have been writing for Demand Studios for several weeks. The $15 per article is better than any other place I write. However, the subjects are awful. A lot of them are really off the wall or don’t even make sense, others would require you were an expert on the particular subject, like puttine a car engine togeter or how to make a musical instrument, how to become a private detictive in idaho, etc.

Also, when I signed up, the premo said they had 50 companies we would be writing for and they offer only ehow. I asked about that and the reply was that those companies go through Demand Media. When I googled Demand Media, there was no info on joining. There is very little info on the website and no forum where you can talk to other members.

• Felicia July 16, 2008, 4:35 pm

I’ve noticed that there have been a few changes going on. I wish they would send out a group e-mail or notice to let us know the latest news.

• Jennifer Walker July 16, 2008, 2:41 pm

I started Demand Studios a couple of weeks ago. I understand that they’re behind because they’ve had a large influx of writers. It seems pretty random, but my articles are getting approved within a week or so. I wish they’d hurry up and review the ones I have out there so I get paid for them this week!

• Felicia July 15, 2008, 6:19 pm

So far, the only site I’ve been approved to write for is eHow.

As a matter of fact, I used to write for eHow through another group called Writers Research Group. Once I found Demand Studios I stopped writing for WRG.

With WRG, you only got paid $10 per article and you had to wait 60 days in order to get paid. Getting paid $15 for the exact same stuff and getting paid weekly sounded like a much better option.

• Brooke July 15, 2008, 11:54 am

I too have been trying to figure out the pattern. I have been writing for Demand Studios for about two months now. I think it all depends entirely on the editor. For instance, the articles submitted under the car topics get approved rather quickly while the fashion and beauty articles tend to take a little longer. If yout think about the volume of submissions on the various topics it makes sense that certain ones take longer. Also, they seem to change the website and service fairly often which I believe creates more of a workload for the editors and therefore a variation in approval times. Question: is anyone approved to write for a site other than e-how?

• Felicia July 13, 2008, 3:05 pm

I agree with you Jen. I have yet to figure out the pattern for reviewing articles.

Some weeks I write articles and they’re reviewed and approved rather quickly and other weeks it seems that they take a while to review and approve.

• jen brister July 13, 2008, 1:50 pm

I am a writer for Demand Studios and have had a lot of success with it. I have yet to figure out if there is a pattern as to when the post new articles, review articles or pay out. I think they have several editor that probably work on their own schedules.

• Tiffany June 8, 2008, 5:14 pm

Wow. I came here from a comment you left for Darren Rowse and I blogged about the same issue today. I even used the same phrase regarding giveth and taketh…too funny.

Good luck!